PDA

View Full Version : Scyther Analysis (WIP)

Iconic
08-30-2009, 07:39 PM
sorry

RoflBannedCakes?
08-30-2009, 08:25 PM
scyther:

Scyther and swords dance go together like peanut butter and jelly, like britney spears and cocaine, like eternal and internet golf.

lol ******* win

Milos
08-30-2009, 08:47 PM
Scyther:

http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/Scyther.png

Most Used Sets:

Scyther is an excellent addition to most UU teams, as its high Attack and Speed make it a natural candidate as a potent physical sweeper. The Swords Dance set is undoubtedly the most common set, as Scyther can come in on something that fears a powerful attack (e.g: Hypno), set up and proceed to sweep. However, due to the omnipresent Stealth Rocks taking away half of Scyther’s health each switch in, as well as the recoil of Life Orb, the Choice Band is a viable alternative if time can’t be found to set up.

Usual Counters:

In general, anything that resists Scyther’s STAB attacks and can weather the assault of Fighting-type moves can counter our little bug friend very well. Steelix comes to mind removed the comma with its immense Defense, and can threaten Scyther with a powerful Stone Edge. Registeel is in the same boat, but its Defense is not as high as Steelix, and most are EV’ed in Special Defenseremoved anyways. Both must be wary for repeated Brick Breaks or boosted Reversals. Torkoal removed what you wrote about stone is a fantastic counter to Scyther, resisting X-Scissor and having the Defense to take a boosted Aerial Ace, Brick Break or Reversal. Rest-Talk Rotom is an interesting counter to any set without Night Slash, as it resists or is immune to all of Scyther’s attacks, and can retort with a Will-o-wisp or super effective Thunderbolt. However, its less-than-average defenses mean that you will need to EV it heavily in order to take a few hits. Spiritomb can come in and threaten with a Will-o-wisp of its own, and its well-rounded defenses will allow it to get at least one shot off.

Due to Scyther’s frailty, priority moves like Fake Out, Bullet Punch and Extremespeed will take their toll. This especially holds true, seeing as Stealth Rock leaves Scyther at 50% when it switches in, assuming no prior damage. Keep this into account when using Scyther.

Types of Teams Pokemon is Used in:

Scyther fits very nicely in UU Offensive Teams, since the Swords Dance set threatens a huge portion of the UU environment. You will very seldom see Scyther in standard play, as it is outclassed by sweepers like Heracross and Scyther’s relative, Scizor.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/9/99/Spr_4p_123_m.pngSwords Dance @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 Atk / 6 Def / 252 Spe
Nature: Jolly

- Swords Dance
- X-Scissor
- Aerial Ace
- Brick Break

Scyther and Swords Dance go together like peanut butter and jelly, like Britney Spears and cocaine, like Eternal and internet golf. LOL Joking aside, this set is Scyther's best way of wrecking havoc on the UU metagame. His excellent Attack and Speed, coupled with a good physical movepool, make this set extremely hard to counter, especially in the closing stages of a match. X-Scissor and Aerial Ace are two very powerful STAB attacks, and Scyther can be quite the wrecking ball with these attacks and a Swords Dance under his belt. X-Scissor is a potent attack coming from Scyther, and will make the likes of Hypno and Claydol shake in their boots. While Aerial Ace does not compliment X-Scissor immensely in terms of type-coverage, its sheer power is what makes it so alluring. With Technician, Aerial Ace's Base Power will be boosted to 90, making it a whooping 135 BP with STAB. Finally, Brick Break is listed so that Scyther isn't completely walled by Steel-types. Be careful when facing said Steels, as almost all of them have extremely high defenses. Nonetheless, Scyther does between 58-63% to Steelix after a Swords Dance, so you very well might be able to pick off a weakened one during the end of a game.

Life Orb will be Scyther's item of choice, as the extra power is necessary to do as much damage as possible. The generic max Attack and Speed EVs are to ensure as much efficiency as possible, and a Jolly nature allows Scyther to outpace all Charizard, Arcanine, Drapion and Houndoom (barring Choice Scarf users).

Scyther almost always wants to be paired up with a Pokemon who can Rapid Spin, which will help Scyther's longevity greatly. Donphan can not only Rapid Spin, but threaten Steels with its powerful STAB Earthquake. With its great physical bulk, Donphan can also counter many of the priority users which plague UU, such as Absol, Ambipom and Toxicroak. If that wasn't enough, Donphan can even set up its on Stealth Rocks, which can help turn various 3HKOs into 2HKOs.

---

Will be adding the following sets:

Choice Band
Choice Scarf
Reversal
Baton Pass

Potentially more if I can get my creative juices flowing.

Changes in BOLD.

Not many mistakes, just a couple of spelling and grammar mistakes. Very good analysis iconig <3

PLDH-MajeSan
08-30-2009, 10:13 PM
Make sure to mention Quick Attack. With Technician, it makes a semi-decent Priority move.

Dimes
08-30-2009, 10:35 PM
Fatman approves. (H)

Also, Fatman+ Internet Minigolf> Eternal + Internet golf.

Stone_Cold22
08-31-2009, 01:58 AM
**** you milos, he's keeping me!

Milos
08-31-2009, 02:38 AM
hahaha k ;)

Statigar
08-31-2009, 11:13 AM
******* finally. EXCELLENT WORK

Snypar
08-31-2009, 11:42 PM
Don't use Arkeis pics, they're to cartoonie, use the official ****. If you want, I can link you the pics you need.

Milos
09-01-2009, 01:16 AM
iconic if you need the official pictures theyre right here: http://gallery.gtsplus.net/

Iconic
09-01-2009, 02:29 AM
Okay I like the official pictures better, but the other analyses use the cartoon ones. I was just doing it for consistency. But my vote is that we use the official ones.

Snypar
09-01-2009, 12:55 PM
I think someone should put a turbin on me, and put in that Arab *** of mine.

Snypar
09-02-2009, 04:41 PM
Mod edit: Last warning before ban.

DK
09-02-2009, 06:09 PM
Nicely thought out so far Iconic; agreeing with the official pics.

Lmao @ Iac's Edit.

Snypar
09-02-2009, 07:48 PM
IAC you ******* terrorist. (D)