PDA

View Full Version : Politoed Analysis

JB
09-20-2009, 07:55 PM
Hey all! I'm gonna try to do an honest analysis. The last one I attempted was disasterous, so I apologize. Anyways, this is the analysis for Politoed. No one was doing it and I got asked to do it, so here it goes:

Politoed
http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/politoed.png

Summary

Most used set:
The set used most on Politoed would probably be:

Special Wall:
@Leftovers
-Surf
-Hypnosis
-Ice Beam
-Haze/Toxic
Nature: Calm
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/108 SpAttk/148 SpDef

Pretty common for Special Walling Waters. Its decent Special Defense stat makes it desireable for walling Special attackers. Leftovers is probably your safest bet, giving Politoed a needed HP recovery each turn, sometimes making the difference in battles. Calm natures are preferred, because it heightens Politoed's Special Defense, logically wanted to help its purpose with this set. Hypnosis is Politoed's gift making it differ from other common Waters, making it so it can put to sleep any one opponent it chooses. Ice Beam is almost a nessecity to stop Grass-types in their tracks. Surf is also needed for good STAB damage. Its a toss-up on either Haze or Toxic for the 4th slot. Haze is good for negating annoying stat-boosters, but if you're more worried about opposing Waters, then Toxic is the better alternative. It must have maxed out Hp and desent Special Defense EVs to do what it was built to do on this set. You can also throw in some Special Attack EVs in to do some considerable damage.

Usual Conters:

Opposing Waters are good counters to Politoed, provided it doesn't sport Toxic, then that would make Tentacruel perfectly immune to most of Politoed's possible moves, barring Hypnosis. Launturn, Lapras, and Ludicolo can stall it out and hit it with Thunderbolt for Launturn and Lapras and Energy Ball for Ludicolo. Other Grass types must be cautious to switch into it, due to it usually wielding Ice Beam. Blissey can also outstall it with basically better Special Defense keeping it up.

Types of Teams Politoed is used in:

Politoed can fit into quite a few teams. It can probably be put into NU stall teams (if there is such thing). It can also be put into OU, suprising some people by its entrance with a possible Choice Specs/Focus Blast combo, but is usually overlooked simply because of its mediocre stats, having Special Defense as its only decent stat.

In-Depth:

http://www.pokemondb.co.uk/images/sprites/diamond-pearl/normal/politoed-f.png

Here's another set Politoed can pull off:

Choice Specs:
@Choice Specs
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Focus Blast/Hidden Power[Electric]/Hidden Power[Grass]
-Focus Blast/Psychic/Hypnosis
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 HP/252 SpAttk/4 SpDef

Choice Specs Politoed is almost as popular as the Special Waller. This set can actually make it stand out in OU, no matter how small it would be in it. Politoed NEEDS Surf & Ice Beam to be any worth in the team its in. Its last 2 moves leave it open to a lot of possibilites. Focus Blast can make Blissey and Snorlax weary of it, especially since it has Choice Specs. It could also have either Hidden Power Electric or Grass, both used to counter other Waters, but Electric for Mantine and Grass for Quagsire. Psychic gives it more coverage, but not at much power. Hypnosis can be used for one bothersome counter of its choice. It really needs max Special Attack EVs pairing up with Specs to do some damage. You also might want to throw in some HP EVs in there, giving the scraps to its Special Defense.

Slippy: (courtesy of Smogon on the title)
@Leftovers
-Perish Song
-Bounce
-Hypnosis
-Surf
Nature: Sassy
EVs: 240 HP/122 Def/140 SpDef

This set is very rare. Perish Song is the main move here. Anything hit by this is KOed in 3 turns, but most people will switch in after 2 turns are up, giving Politoed to do what he pleases, including switching in himself after 2 turns or switching in b4 and having its partnets pelt the field with entry hazards. Again, Politoed must always have Surf for good STAB. Hypnosis is very common among Politoeds already, so having it on this set is no exception. Bounce is an oddity for Politoed, except the fact that its a frog. It is a good Flying move and attracts "haxers" with its 30% paralysis. This set's EVs are a bit tricky. As always, it has a majority into HP, has decent distribution in its Special Defense, and this particulary one actually has some Defense EV in it, making it survive hits better.

Other Options:

Hydro Pump is sometimes replacing Surf due to better STAB, but it tends to be unreliable with its bad accuracy. Belly Drum can catch a lot of counters off guard who usually switches into it when it comes into play, giving it time to set up and start sweeping, but it only has Waterfall as its only move to put this into use. It can also Counter its way through a physical threat, and usually suprising anyone who sees it use it.

My Opinion:
Politoed was a favorite of mine to use in the original Gold/Silver games, but as the years went by, Poliwrath seemed a lot better with its better versatility. Politoed is another good Water type in the already numerous Water community in the game. It can do a lot of things freely, only problem is that it has a hard time choosing what to have. Its average stats are what makes it unnoticed in the battling community, living its days in the NU tier and hoping it gets another chance to shine in Heartgold/Soulsilver.

That's it.

Dragonknight
09-20-2009, 08:15 PM
you need at least 3 sets for this..

Screaming Angel
09-20-2009, 08:57 PM
Could you perhaps add a Belly Drum Politoed?

Tony32
09-20-2009, 09:03 PM
What the flying **** are you doing jb? I was ******* doing this analysis and me and iac was working on a long informational analysis and i also had this analysis reserved. WTF? Jesus christ.

Edit: Also, politoed most used set is it's belly drum set -_-.

imported_thehero
09-20-2009, 09:11 PM
Dude, please look at the reserved list.

IF YOU DON'T, I'LL ******* KILL YOU AND **** YOUR ******* TESTICLES.

Dimes
09-20-2009, 09:49 PM
AND THEN HE'LL LICK THEM.

This is bleh again. You've listed moves, and the reasons why suck. No offense though. ^_^

Instead of saying that it is a common move, state why it is common and what it deals with. Like Bounce is to beat on Yanmega, ect. Don't say that it kills everything in 3 turns, ect.

Milos
09-20-2009, 10:50 PM
What the flying **** are you doing jb? I was ******* doing this analysis and me and iac was working on a long informational analysis and i also had this analysis reserved. WTF? Jesus christ.

dont worry tony im pretty sure that if you and iac made an analysis on this its probably better.

Dragonknight
09-21-2009, 12:25 AM
and these are copied from smogon..lol.

Lunar
09-21-2009, 02:08 AM

like milos said dont worry i bet yours is better (H)(H)(H)

Tony32
09-22-2009, 02:45 AM
Im going to post mine anyway -_-.