PDA

View Full Version : Grammar errors thread?

Dragonknight
10-28-2009, 10:16 PM
at the time of posting, an announcement says :
"the daily live tournaments is coming back!" while it should say "the daily live tournaments are coming back. I think there should be a thread for posting all grammatical errors on-site and in forums, etc.

for example:
permanent sticky threads
on site announcements, etc
forum announcements
and more..

just a thought to work out small kinks on the site

imported_thehero
11-02-2009, 05:17 PM
at the time of posting, an announcement says :
"the daily live tournaments is coming back!" while it should say "the daily live tournaments are coming back. I think there should be a thread for posting all grammatical errors on-site and in forums, etc.

Actually, The Daily Live Tournaments should have been in italics. Because it was refering to the title of something, it should have been is, even though the title is in the plural. You can choose between "The Daily Live Tournaments is coming back," or "The daily live tournaments are coming back."

Edit: I looked at the announcement. I congratulate whoever wrote it for having such a command of the English language.

zod
11-04-2009, 12:48 AM
No smogon grammar nazi's.

Carlo1003
11-05-2009, 10:08 AM
Huh? What's wrong with my previous announcement? O__O

I capitalized the first letters of the said tournament, so it ultimately becomes a title. And since it's a title, you must take it as one, thus, "is" is used. About the "It must be italicized," thing. Actually, it shouldn't. You only italicize if you wan't to emphasis something or if you're quoting a title.

@ Blondy: Me agrees!

Dragonknight
11-05-2009, 09:33 PM
i guess that makes sense, but it still seems funny. but either way, i still think we should have a thread like this somewhere.

Tony32
11-20-2009, 02:47 AM
It pretty much makes sense, but, yea it sounds funny at the same time. But whatever

supertrunks8
11-20-2009, 03:25 AM
i agree with dragonknight that there should be a thread to post grammatical / spelling errors. It would really bother me if I was lurking around and saw one that was blatantly obvious

Eternal
11-20-2009, 06:37 AM
Well, I guess if anyone spots any errors just post them in this thread and I (or any mod) will fix it.

Iconic
11-20-2009, 07:10 AM
Eternal if I could be given power to edit the descriptions of the sections, as well as announcements, I would ensure that the grammar was sufficiently coherent.

Eternal
11-20-2009, 05:48 PM
Eternal if I could be given power to edit the descriptions of the sections, as well as announcements, I would ensure that the grammar was sufficiently coherent.

That is only possible if you're an admin. So just send me the corrections through PM and I'll edit it for you.