PDA

View Full Version : Creative Tournament Ideas Thread

Eternal
01-10-2010, 05:56 PM
Post in this thread any creative ideas you have for hosting tournaments. DO NOT POST HERE IF YOU HAVE A TOURNAMENT IDEA AND WOULD LIKE TO HOST IT YOURSELF. YOU WILL NEED TO CONTACT A TOURNAMENT DIRECTOR (Eternal, Supertrunks8, or Majesan).

Try thinking of something that would be enjoyable for everyone. It can be either competitive or purely for fun.

If you have a tournament idea and would like to host it, then PM a Tournament for approval (Supertrunks8, Majesan, Eternal). If you have a cool tournament idea but are unable to host the tournament, then you can post your idea here and specify that someone else can host it because you're not planning to.

Anyone that wants to host a tournament can pick an idea from here from people that are unable to host the tournament and host it themselves. Just get the approval from a Tournament Moderator.

NBA
01-10-2010, 06:01 PM
do an invitational like tournament of superstars on smogon

Iris
01-10-2010, 06:56 PM
Old UU tourney, all i want

bartozio37
01-10-2010, 07:33 PM
How about a monotype tournament?
haven't seen one being hosted here.

cat
01-10-2010, 07:35 PM
i think an invitational would be cool, but maybe if you didnt do it like last time where everyone was invited.

you could do one for like the older players and one for the newer guys too

seconding bartozio but i would like mono dragon, steel, and water be taken out for obvious reasons.

The_Prince_Vegeta
02-13-2010, 10:02 PM
An Arceus Tournament would be a good idea. Wouldn't it? And each Arceus must hold a plate.

FIL
02-13-2010, 11:07 PM
bulba saur tournament!!!!!

bobphillip
02-13-2010, 11:31 PM
^ seconded

Mig
02-13-2010, 11:32 PM
A OU tour with the first 10 (or so) more used pk's banned

Quacks
02-14-2010, 03:27 AM
NU tour maybe ? They're not exacly common.

Iggylow
02-14-2010, 12:19 PM
a tour where we have to have a caterpie on our team and a weedle and a lugia and a monster the other two are the players choice and the caterpie has to be shiny and they have to have a giratina and a houndoom but has to be female and has layed at least 1 egg

felixmartin
02-14-2010, 03:26 PM
A OU tour with the first 10 (or so) more used pk's banned

I like mig's idea.
Also what about a random tourny? we already have the randbat, so you can "practice" before the tourny :P

Dimes
02-14-2010, 03:56 PM
the current NU tier is horrible

dread45
02-14-2010, 06:44 PM
I think there should be a type tourney where you have to use a random type for at least 3 of your Pokemon and have 3 wild cards. You know to see which person is best for each type. The type changes each round.

bartozio37
02-14-2010, 08:08 PM
I think there should be a type tourney where you have to use a random type for at least 3 of your Pokemon and have 3 wild cards. You know to see which person is best for each type. The type changes each round.

Seconding this idea, it sound like a lot of fun and me getting beat up first round:D

FIL
02-14-2010, 08:24 PM
agrees with bart who agrees with dread

Mig
02-15-2010, 01:45 AM
- No STAB tourney
- All choiced pk tourney
- No switches tour

hmh, thats all i can think of right now

Noobert
02-15-2010, 04:59 AM
What about like a betting tourney?

Ex.
N00b VS Noob
N00b bets 100 points he will win.
Noob bets 200 points he will win.
If N00b loses, he has to give 100 points to Noob. Vice versa.
Jackpot=300 points.
Each time there is a battle, the total amount of points at stake go to the jackpot. Then the winner of the whole tourney wins the jackpot of points.
I don't know if you understand what I'm trying to explain. I'm not so good at it.

Mig
02-15-2010, 05:22 AM
Nah dude, there would no way to make sure people are donating the points. Plus, i think the objective of this tourneys are to make the game more competitive, bets are meh.

Jon
02-17-2010, 05:05 PM
a tourney where, every round, two pokemon are banned from the competition.

supersonicfan
03-05-2010, 12:47 AM
- every team uses 3 OUs and 3 UU/NUs.
- similar to above: ubers, but you can only use 3 ubers on your team, the rest must come from other tiers.
- standard, switch teams every round, and you can't re-use the same pokemon - if you have a Salamence on your round one team, you can't use it again for the rest of the tournament. so you'll either need to start with less popular pokemon or finish with them.

Dragonknight
03-05-2010, 02:08 AM
A tournament that may be able to be pulled off:

David versus the Goliath.
Each round, each pairing will have a david and a goliath.
The goliath will be able to use any tier, including ubers, but all at level 70.
The david will only be allowed NU and NFE all at level 100.
david and goliath are determined randomly

mitchell_e
03-09-2010, 03:35 AM
I like the above idea. MY favorite one is where you have to swap a single pokemon with your opponent each round. Adds a lot of stragety to the game.
Also i extremley support the random tourny

Eternal
04-09-2010, 03:47 AM
Eternal: I'm thinking of starting another new tournament next week
Eternal: it will be called "The REAL UU tournament"
Eternal: instead of using UU Pokemon
Eternal: you'll only be allowed to use Pokemon sets
Eternal: that are underused
Eternal: for example, lets say 80% of Scizors use Bullet Punch
Eternal: and 20% of Scizors use Quick Attack
Eternal: the total usage for Scizor is 50,000
Eternal: since 80% of that is 40,000
Eternal: and 20% of that is 10,000
Eternal: you'll ONLY be allowed to use sets without popular attacks
Eternal: meaning Bullet Punch will be banned
Eternal: and I'll list all the banned moves
Eternal: for each Pokemon
Eternal: Sounds interesting right?

FIL
04-09-2010, 08:58 PM
Sounds interesting, it makes each pokemon have another use or lose its reason to be popular

dread45
04-09-2010, 09:17 PM
it sounds fun but i wouldn't want you to do too much work for a tournament but if your fine with it then i agree with your idea

bobphillip
04-09-2010, 09:30 PM
sounds pro

Shining Latios
04-09-2010, 09:57 PM
I second the NU idea.

Scimjara
04-09-2010, 11:08 PM
How about a tourny that makes you build a team around three pokemon and battle and change up the core pokemon every round.

Nolie
04-22-2010, 12:20 AM
Maybe you do a tournament with only the Pokemon from one generation allowed for each team?

Shining Latios
04-22-2010, 01:06 AM
Maybe we could do a tournament with wins/losses. You can battle whenever you want and whoever you want. Not really an idea, but I thought it sounded cool. I would make the thread and such if anyone votes for it in.

legendary_07
04-22-2010, 01:25 AM
Two Hearts Beat as One:

There will be teams of two players; each round, one player will build a team while the other player battles other team with the team built.
For example:

legendary_07 and 21GUNS.

vs

CAL2010 and seven nights

Legend will build the team and 21Guns will battle the member of the other team who decides to battle as well. Idk if you get what I mean but if you do give me your opinions and please help me to find a name that doesnt sound gay > <

Eternal
04-22-2010, 02:09 AM
Two Hearts Beat as One:

There will be teams of two players; each round, one player will build a team while the other player battles other team with the team built.
For example:

legendary_07 and 21GUNS.

vs

CAL2010 and seven nights

Legend will build the team and 21Guns will battle the member of the other team who decides to battle as well. Idk if you get what I mean but if you do give me your opinions and please help me to find a name that doesnt sound gay > <

Yea, I had a similar idea to this in the past. Where you have a team. Lets say teams of 3 players. You work with your team to create three teams.

Lets say Team 1 vs Team 2

Team 1 = Player A, Player B, Player C
Team 2 = Player X, Player Y, Player Z

The win will be decided by best 2 out of 3. After both teams create three teams, both team will choose 1 person to battle the first battle. So lets say Team 1 chose Player B and Team 2 chose Player Z.

Battle #1: Player B vs Player Z

During the battle, both teams can talk with their team mates in a private chat room on what moves to make. Both teams guide their players. After this battle, both teams choose their next person to battle the 2nd battle. Lets say Player Z won. So Team 1 chooses Player A now and Team 2 chooses Player Y.

Battle #2: Player A vs Player Y

Same thing happens in this battle. Lets say Player Y won. Since it was a best 2 out of 3, Team 2 wins the Round.

Sounds good?

FIL
04-22-2010, 02:11 AM
its good, but gets abit confusing lol

PLDH-MajeSan
04-22-2010, 02:28 AM
Naww man, I've done something like that before. It's awesome, not confusing. We should do that.

dread45
04-22-2010, 03:12 AM
that sounds awesome i like the idea (two thumbs up) 5 stars 10 out of 10

Shining Latios
04-22-2010, 11:37 AM
Just make a world cup then =p

Signups, you list your Country and state if USA. Teams will be divided by
EAST
WEST
CENTRAL
MIDWEST(?? IDK YET)
UNITED KINGDOM
AUSTRALIA/EVERYONE ELSE (?)

Hehe sorry for caps.

legendary_07
04-22-2010, 08:30 PM
Just make a world cup then =p

Signups, you list your Country and state if USA. Teams will be divided by
EAST
WEST
CENTRAL
MIDWEST(?? IDK YET)
UNITED KINGDOM
AUSTRALIA/EVERYONE ELSE (?)

Hehe sorry for caps.

I would prefer that we are able to chose out teammates rather than not because we can choose people we know that have similar playstyles etc. Also WC is way different to this idea btw. Eternal´s thoughts here will be really helpful

FIL
04-22-2010, 09:47 PM
^ yea i agree, you make a stall team and the other person uses it offensively :(
then iris would get spammed PMs

steel dragons
04-22-2010, 10:24 PM
It would be fun to do something like a OU + Garchomp tournament, just to see how Garchomp fares in the current state of OU.

FIL
04-22-2010, 10:28 PM
oh god lol, the usage would be... er... very high...

Shining Latios
04-22-2010, 10:32 PM
Then iris wont host it lol

FIL
04-22-2010, 10:43 PM
host what?
i was talking about the two players one makes a team and the other battles with it, and i f we are allowed to choose our own partners, iris would get alot of PMs

Shining Latios
04-22-2010, 10:47 PM
oh lol

legendary_07
04-22-2010, 10:55 PM
lol i thought that as well

Iris
04-22-2010, 11:31 PM
wait, what am i hosting?

Shining Latios
04-22-2010, 11:36 PM
Nothing, were just suggesting stuff.

PSN_Eevee
04-25-2010, 12:02 AM
NFE Tournament.
LC Tournament.
Invitational.

Umm....I'll come up with some more ideas eventually, lol.

Eternal
07-25-2010, 04:12 AM
Eternal: I'm thinking of hosting a new tournament
Eternal: called "Alphabet Tournament"
Eternal: where everyone recieves 3 random letters
Eternal: they must make a team
Eternal: using Pokemon that names start by that letter
Eternal: for example, if you've recieved the letter "A," then you can use Pokemon like
Eternal: Abomasnow
Eternal: Absol
Eternal: Aerodactyl
Eternal: Aggron
Eternal: Alakazam
Eternal: Altaria
Eternal: Ambipom
Eternal: Ampharos
Eternal: Arbok
Eternal: Arcanine
Terminator: Stop spamming, please1
Eternal: no Arceus (Uber)
Eternal: etc...

Dark Abyss
07-25-2010, 04:18 AM
That would be a good idea for a tournament imo.

supermarth64
07-25-2010, 03:38 PM
Eternal stop spamming.

But yea, that sounds fun.

DarXidE
07-25-2010, 06:45 PM
what about a tourny thats starts out as a mono tourny. then every round you must switch one poke with your opponent :D

or an RMT tournament seems fun :p
your team that you use must be on the third page of RMT's on the TeamUber site, and one thats not posted by you...same exact pokemon/movesets/ivs/evs.
or 5 rmts or so could be picked randomly by a 3rd party :o it could work :)

Eternal
07-26-2010, 02:29 AM
what about a tourny thats starts out as a mono tourny. then every round you must switch one poke with your opponent :D

or an RMT tournament seems fun :p
your team that you use must be on the third page of RMT's on the TeamUber site, and one thats not posted by you...same exact pokemon/movesets/ivs/evs.
or 5 rmts or so could be picked randomly by a 3rd party :o it could work :)

I like the idea of having "Tournament of Thieves" here. You know, the tournament Stone hosts on Smogon.

Ciele
07-26-2010, 12:23 PM
I like the idea of having "Tournament of Thieves" here. You know, the tournament Stone hosts on Smogon.

That tournament was great how both finalists were TU admins, as was obviously, the host as well. There's quite a lack of RMTs here though, especially since you need them from all tiers. Unless you mean still taking ones from Smogon >_>

PSN_Eevee
07-26-2010, 09:06 PM
Wasn't there that tournament on Smogon, the "pass the trash" tournament, or whatever is was called, where before each battle, the opponents swapped one Pokemon on their team with each other?

Eternal
08-03-2010, 05:28 AM
What do you guys think of the method for "Team Trials" tournament from Smogon for Teamuber Tag Team Tournament V3? Three person per team. Each person doing a different tier (OU, Uber, and UU).

I could add a twist in it as well.

Bishop
08-03-2010, 06:16 AM
What do you guys think of the method for "Team Trials" tournament from Smogon for Teamuber Tag Team Tournament V3? Three person per team. Each person doing a different tier (OU, Uber, and UU).

I could add a twist in it as well.

I like it, we needs some team tours!(H)

Momo
08-03-2010, 06:20 AM
metranome

humbo10
08-03-2010, 04:07 PM
hey y not make a tag tourney where u get a partner and u battle and if u win both u move on if its a tie the winners must fight the winner of at 2 matches move on to the next round its a great tourney and the partners can be random.

Eternal
08-16-2010, 06:02 AM
If you have a tournament idea and would like to host it, then PM a Tournament for approval (Supertrunks8, Majesan, Eternal). If you have a cool tournament idea but are unable to host the tournament, then you can post your idea here and specify that someone else can host it because you're not planning to.

Anyone that wants to host a tournament can pick an idea from here from people that are unable to host the tournament and host it themselves. Just get the approval from a Tournament Moderator.

DarXidE
08-16-2010, 06:53 AM
a tourney where, every round, two pokemon are banned from the competition.

seconding this, sounds like a great idea.

Eternal
08-16-2010, 06:57 AM
seconding this, sounds like a great idea.

We've already had this kind of tournament (Ordain of Arceus Tournament).

We may do another version of it in the future.

DarXidE
08-16-2010, 07:32 AM
brainstorming to myself hoping st8 would answer

darxide.: ok what about a tourny
darxide.: where the top 20 used OU pokemon are banned or something
darxide.: or a tourny where everyone gets 3 letters
darxide.: per round
darxide.: and when building ur team, no moves are allowed to begin with any of those 3 letters
darxide.: cleverrrrrrr

supertrunks8
08-16-2010, 07:46 AM
For the first one, I believe we've had one just like it? If not, it's a good idea, but I believe we have...

Also, the last idea doesn't sound like it would work TBH. Someone might get screwed over and get 3 crappy letters to block (S, T, R , so like no entry hazards) and someone might get really good letters (X, Y, Z), also it just doesn't seem like it would be that different from a regular tournament.

Eternal
08-16-2010, 08:39 AM
Instead of giving every individual three different letters, why not exclude EVERYONE from using moves of those letters. Though creating a good team out of restricted moves is VERY DIFFICULT. I wouldn't advise it because most people would take their time in building a team. People mostly like simple concept tournaments where building a good team shouldn't take more than 30 minutes.

An example of a simple tournament is 1 vs 1 tournament. Where everyone battles with only 1 Pokemon against 1 of the foe's Pokemon. Since this would be mostly luck based, making it best 2 out 3 would make it more viable.

There's a whole thread based on this on Smogon as well, along with movesets and ideas: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73526

Another example of an applicable tournament that would be favored by many people would be something like a Random Battle tournament in which you randomly give people 6 random Pokemon from the OU, BL, UU, NU tier each round. This way both the battler and his opponent will know of each other's Pokemon and try to counter-team as much as possible. Counter-teaming the opponent when knowing each other's Pokemon is fun because it involves a lot of strategy.

legendary_07
08-16-2010, 03:09 PM
I would like to see a tournament with the last round of suspects allowed; I am pretty sure that many people miss Latias / Manaphy / Garchomp, and it will be very fun to see how the metagame turns out in the tournament.

Eternal
11-01-2010, 10:03 AM
Can someone host a cool tournament?

SALAD-
11-01-2010, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna host one with OU, UU and Uber. Like the final rounds of the Smogon Tour.

Think it'll get enough interest?

Eternal
11-01-2010, 10:15 AM
I'm gonna host one with OU, UU and Uber. Like the final rounds of the Smogon Tour.

Think it'll get enough interest?

Too standard. And not many people will join because most people only play one tier.

felixmartin
11-01-2010, 12:36 PM
I got some ideas...
1. People send a team to the host and then they get a team that other person sent.
2. Mirror tourney. Every person that joins the tour gets the same team (of course with a different team every round).
3. Why don´t we have something like Marriland´s trophy tower?
4. I know TU has probably already done some of these, but generation, color, or monotype tournaments are always fun.
5. Tag team tournament where the 2 opposing pairs have to exchange teams.
6. We give them 3 Pokemon every round, and the participants have to build a team from there.
7. We prohibit a certain number of pokemon every round and they have to build a team without them.
8. Middle cup tourney.
9. A good tour for christmas time... we give a list of pokemon that have something to do with christmas (like delibird, abomasnow, stantler, etc.) and they have to build a team using pokes from that list.

I´ll think of more later on :P

TheRagingRoopushin
11-06-2010, 06:24 PM
Monocolour?

Espeonage
11-07-2010, 11:15 AM
LC, there is a ladder but it isn't included in the Confeds. Gives the lC players something to do while that is on.

EDIT: Also figued another cool thing would be to have a League. Take 20 people per tier. Everyone plays everyone and a ladder is kept then after that the top 8 play off in a finals series. That kind of a tourney makes as haxless environment as possible, would be fun and rewarding as well as being conclusive on the best player in the tier.

It would be a logistical nightmare but if it worked then it would be awesome.

Aximil
11-07-2010, 01:15 PM
LC, there is a ladder but it isn't included in the Confeds. Gives the lC players something to do while that is on.

EDIT: Also figued another cool thing would be to have a League. Take 20 people per tier. Everyone plays everyone and a ladder is kept then after that the top 8 play off in a finals series. That kind of a tourney makes as haxless environment as possible, would be fun and rewarding as well as being conclusive on the best player in the tier.

A chart like this could work if we had 8 blocks. Meaning any multiple of 8 peoples in for the tourney.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/6/65/League_Battle.jpg

Dimes
11-07-2010, 01:38 PM

The problem is though that I could keep playing some kid over and over and win constantly. Not to mention, the ladder is very easy to cheat in that I could play numerous alts at once and win.

Espeonage
11-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Ladder thing wouldn't work. We decided that just after I posted this. We were discussing it on Shoddy.

Aximil
11-07-2010, 02:18 PM
Yep, decided that the first 128 or so to join would be in.

Onion
11-09-2010, 09:54 PM
Metronome tour! :D

ryandcow
11-16-2010, 04:44 AM
Smeargle tourney, no two smeargle can have any of the same moves.

Twistedspoon
11-16-2010, 08:09 AM
lol, what next? magikarp tourney?

or Wobbufett-only matches?

bartozio37
11-16-2010, 09:59 AM
smeagle tourny doesn't sound to bad, since you'd probably see some realy creative movesets, but i'm not to sure if you could get it to work.
Also, the league thing sounds cool, but you shouldn't use a ladder, but just let evryone play each other a certain amount of times (cause otherwise you get the problem dimes said).

smurf35
11-16-2010, 06:20 PM
How about a OU/UU/NU tournament, which players have to pick 2 pokemon from each tier? ^^

Twistedspoon
11-16-2010, 06:27 PM
Tournaments. I herd we liek them

but srsly the smeargle one sounds nice and the above one too.

boyofrito
11-17-2010, 03:48 AM
I haven't read through this thread, but what about a single pokemon tourney? I have 2 ideas. either just a single pokemon on each team. OR a each team using a single pokemon with different movesets, and maybe a wildcard. I dunno.

Espeonage
11-17-2010, 05:28 AM
That will be full of Jirachi teams and Heatran teams to counter them.

ShinyRoserade
01-09-2011, 04:11 AM
I agree with Bartozio i havent seen an Mono Tourney hhosted on TU and that would be great

KingofHax
01-12-2011, 12:54 AM
Monocolour?

This is actually a pretty cool idea. Players can only use 1 color of pokemon, but it still lets them have decently balanced teams. It gets lots of lower-tier pokemon involved.

Lavityranitar
01-12-2011, 02:46 AM
Metrenome? Monocolur could work.

MikeDecIsHere
01-15-2011, 10:41 PM
Mono color is an awesome idea.
as it so happens, there is a list of Pokemon by color that people can follow:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_color

It should be noted that shiny pokemon DO NOT count as another color. Gyarados is still blue, even if it's shiny. Otherwise, it eliminates the challenge of creating a mono-color team.

ShinyRoserade
01-15-2011, 11:53 PM
Mono Something would be awesome

ShinyRoserade
01-15-2011, 11:54 PM
I prefer mono type though but W/E :p

Eternal
01-16-2011, 12:00 AM
Mono color is an awesome idea.
as it so happens, there is a list of Pokemon by color that people can follow:

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pokémon_by_color

It should be noted that shiny pokemon DO NOT count as another color. Gyarados is still blue, even if it's shiny. Otherwise, it eliminates the challenge of creating a mono-color team.

We have hosted that kind of tourny before, it was called the "Rainbow Tournament" hosted by Dragonknight. If you want to host the 2nd version of it, then you can ask Dragonknight for permission.

ShinyRoserade
01-16-2011, 12:28 AM
I think we should do mono or OU

ShinyRoserade
01-16-2011, 12:29 AM
OU is actually to common so UU or Mono

MikeDecIsHere
01-16-2011, 01:27 AM
I'd be interested in hosting the tournament, I'll probably PM DragonKnight later on this week.

pokemonisfun
01-24-2011, 04:27 PM
Tournament with fat pokemon only, by a certain weight :3

Twistedspoon
01-24-2011, 05:14 PM
egg group tournament

Eternal
01-25-2011, 05:23 AM
Tournament with fat pokemon only, by a certain weight :3

Sounds good to me.

egg group tournament

You mean like Little Cup?

MikeDecIsHere
01-25-2011, 05:37 AM
You mean like Little Cup?

He means something similar to the mono type tournament where the contestants are restricted to using a certain egg group. At least I think so anyway.

DDwhiscash
04-09-2011, 04:49 PM
How about a tournament where players all make a team, send them to the host and host takes all the teams and distributes them to another player. Each round the winning players make yet another team and the the process is repeated again until it is down to two people. At this time the people who failed at the Semi finals will make a team and these two teams will be distributed to the finalists. I know it's a complex idea and it needs a lot more work, but it can work and can be a fun experience, plus it could help people get into the aspect of playing other playstyles other than just Balanced or offense.

pokemonisfun
04-18-2011, 03:55 PM
How about a tournament where the host assigns everyone guidelines for the team that everyone has to use? For instance, you can make your own team but in it you have to include a Spinda or the item DeepSeaScale.

lapras6666
04-18-2011, 05:30 PM
So, what about a height tourney? Basically, you give every opponent a different height and the person has to use three pokes from that height group against opponents (which have different height groups of course).

List:
http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/List_of_Pok%C3%A9mon_by_height

What do you guys think?

How about a tournament where players all make a team, send them to the host and host takes all the teams and distributes them to another player. Each round the winning players make yet another team and the the process is repeated again until it is down to two people. At this time the people who failed at the Semi finals will make a team and these two teams will be distributed to the finalists. I know it's a complex idea and it needs a lot more work, but it can work and can be a fun experience, plus it could help people get into the aspect of playing other playstyles other than just Balanced or offense.

Wow, that looks incredibly good.

Ciele
04-18-2011, 05:55 PM
Here's a nice creative idea - how about a tournament that actually gets played?

None ever do anymore...

mudkip123
06-10-2011, 10:07 PM
An RU tourney