PDA

View Full Version : A guide introducing trick room

bartozio37
01-14-2010, 07:19 PM
So, here it is at last, my guide about Trick Room.
It's the first guide i wrote, so if you have any advise on how to improve it, please let me know.
I spend quite some time this, so i hope you all like it.
so, here it is:

Trick Room

A guide by bartozio

I. Introduction
II. Explanation on the move
III. Why use it?
IV. Making a good trick room team
A. The lead
B. The back ups
C. The sweepers
V. How to counter Trick Room teams?
VI Conclusion

I. Introduction

This generation a lot of new moves were introduced, and among them was the move Trick Room. Even though it isn’t used that much, a team based around this move can work very well. In this guide I will explain how the move works, how to make a good Trick Room team, and how you can counter one.

II. Explanation on how the move works

Trick Room has a negative priority, so the pokemon using it will always go last (unless both pokemon use Trick Room), moves like Roar and Counter will also go before Trick Room.
After Trick Room is used, the speed order is changed a little. For example, we’ll take an Infernape who is fighting against a Donphan. Infernape would normally be faster, but under Trick Room, Donphan gets faster. Of course, that’s only if they both use attacks with normal priority (like Flare Blitz and Earthquake for example). If Infernape was to use Mach Punch, he would still move first, unless donphan would use ice shard, which also has priority, and what would make him faster. Also, if Donphan was to use a move like Counter, he would still move last. Simply put, it doesn’t change a thing to priority. This effect lasts for 5 turns (including the turn you use it, so after you use it, it’ll be 4 turns before the effect will be over). If you use Trick Room while it’s effect is already in play, the effect will end as well.

Here are the pokemon that can use trick room and their tier:

Arceus Uber
Deoxys Uber
Deoxys-A Uber
Deoxys-D Uber
Deoxys-S Uber
Dialga Uber
Mew Uber
Mewtwo Uber
Palkia Uber
Azelf OU
Bronzong OU
Celebi OU
Dusknoir OU
Gengar OU
Jirachi OU
Starmie OU
Gallade BL
Alakazam UU
Claydol UU
Cresselia UU
Mesprit UU
Mismagius UU
Porygon-Z UU
Slowbro UU
Uxie UU
Banette NU
Chimecho NU
Espeon NU
Exeggutor NU
Gardevoir NU
Girafarig NU
Grumpig NU
Hypno NU
Jynx NU
Kecleon NU
Lunatone NU
Mr. Mime NU
Porygon2 NU
Slowking NU
Solrock NU
Spinda NU
Stantler NU
Xatu NU

III. Why should I use a Trick Room team?

Now, you might be thinking, nice guide and al that, but what’s the point of using this?
Well, first of all, it’s always fun to try something new, as you won’t be seeing this kind of team to often. Also, because it isn’t used that much, the less experienced opponents might very well have no idea what you’re doing. And last but not least, trick room teams disrupt sweepers, who rely on speed to function, and because of that, are able to counter heavy offence, a very popular tactic these days.

IV. Making a useful Trick Room team

Now, there are three types of pokemon that are normally on a trick room team, the lead, back up Trick Room users, and the sweepers.

A. Lead

In every team the lead has an important role, in a trick room team this isn’t to different. The role of the lead is to set up Trick Room and then leave the field as soon as possible so the sweepers have as much time as possible. You could also try to set up some stuff first, as Stealth Rock would be help a great deal. Just keep in mind that a Trick Room team is very offensive, so don’t over do it (i.e. you can set up Toxic Spikes, but they aren’t supposed to last long enough to get the toxic really taking effect). The most common way to clear the field is by blowing up, so that you can most likely take one of the opponents pokemon with you, and your sweeper can come in unharmed. A different option is to use U-turn, but this would either require you to use a fast lead (who wouldn’t be able to use Trick Room's effect to much, but you can argue about how much of a need that is), or your sweeper would have to take a hit (most of them are pretty bulky, but the longer they can stay in, the better). The same problem would apply if you just switch your lead out.

Some good leads are:

Bronzong
http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/bronzong.png
This guy is perfect when it comes to using Trick Room, since he’s very defensive, and can learn Explosion. He can also benefit from Trick Room, since he’s rather slow, and he can even deal some damage himself, with Earthquake and Gyro Ball. He also gets a lot of supportive moves, including Hypnosis and Stealt Rock.

Jirachi
http://www.basiskwaliteit.nl/popular/images2/pokemon_Jirachi.jpg
Jirachi can also make a great lead, since apart from trick room it also learns Stealth Rock and U-turn. Jirachi is also pretty bulky, and with U-turn, it can take a hit, and then let a sweeper come out safely. Also, if you lower his speed enough, he can deal quite some damage himself.

Azelf
http://www.pokemoncharacters.com/images/pokemon/482azelf.gif
Azelf is another pokemon that gets both Trick Room and Explosion. He indeed isn’t to bulky and pretty fast, making Bronzong the better option, but if you lower his speed enough he can catch some pokes by surprise. He’s also capable of taking on some common leads (like Swampert, who gets beaten by either Grass Knot or Energy Ball). He also gets U-turn, but he isn’t really capable of taking a hit, making Exploding generally the better option.

Celebi
http://pokemoncharacters.com/blog/wp-images/celebi1_of_the_month.gif
Just like Jirachi Celebi can use Trick Room and then U-turn out after taking a hit, or put up Stealt Rock. The thing that makes Jirachi the better choice lies in the fact that steel resists an awful lot of attacks, making rachi a lot more bulky.

B. Back up Trick Room users:

Since a Trick Room team relies on Trick Room staying in effect, it can fall apart when the effect is lost. Because of this it’s important that you have more that one pokemon who can set up Trick Room. Of course, you need to be careful not to use to many, otherwise there won’t be space for the sweepers.
Some useful back up trick room users are:

Bronzong
http://www.arkeis.com/images/pokemonfactory/bronzong.png
Well, I already mentioned him when I was talking about leads, but if you used someone else, Bronzong can function as a backup as well. Again, great defences, only one weakness and the ability to deal some damage himself make him great on a Trick Room team.

Slowbro
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/anime/anime080.jpg
This guy might be UU, but he’s bulky enough to survive some hits in OU, and that’s all it takes to get a Trick Room up. This guy might not get cool stuff like Explosion or U-turn, but he does get a reliable recovery move (Slack Off), meaning he won’t go down easily.

Slowking
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/anime/anime199.jpg
Yes, he’s NU, but that doesn’t stop him from being effective. He might not have the physical bulk like Slowbro does, but he makes up for it with a better sp defence and nasty plot to open up some sweeping possibilities for himself.

Cresselia
http://www.pokemoncharacters.com/images/pokemon/488cresselia.gif
Well, it has great defensive skills, a healing move, and Trick Room, so what more can you ask? It might not be able to do that much damage herself, but with Light Screen and Reflect it can be a great aid to your team.

Claydol
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/anime/anime344.jpg
This guy might not have the defensive capabilities like some other pokes I mentioned, but he can take some hits as well, and he also gets Rapid Spin, which can come in very handy. He even gets Explosion, of which I already mentioned how helpful it can be.

C. Sweepers

Now, you can keep Trick Room up, sure, but without pokemon to use it, there would really be a point in doing so, now would there?
So, these are mainly the pokemon that have great offensive power, but would lack the speed to really make them useful sweepers. Since these are main form of offence, it’s important to make sure you have enough of them (my advise, is to use about 3 of them). Also, if all three would be pure physical, you would probably just get screwed by some Skamory, so make sure you have at least one good physical, and one good special sweeper (preferable would be to also have a mixed sweeper).

Some good examples are:

Ryperior
http://ds.rothion.com/images/dp/rhyperior.png
Well, he has a base attack stat of 140, Sword Dance, and a pretty good move pool, which all combined make him pretty lethal. After a Sword Dance there is very little that can survive his moves (Skamory normally fails to live a Stone Edge for instance).

Machamp
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/anime/anime068.jpg
Only base 55 speed, but an attacks of base 130 and a not missing Dynamic Punch make him quite the beast under Trick Room. Even if pokemon with great defence show up they’ll still get confused, making things a whole lot tougher for them, and Machamp has a decent move pool, so he’ll probably b e able to cover some threads as well (like packing Ice Punch to take care of Glicor)

Rampardos
http://pokedream.com/pokerep/images/diamondpearl/front/409.png
You have to be careful with this one, since he’s not to sturdy, but he does have pretty low speed, a good move pool, and the highest base attack in the whole OU tier to go with, making him a pretty viable choice.

Tyranitar
http://www.pokemonelite2000.com/pictures/anime/anime248.jpg
Well, Tyranitar is already known as a beast because of his well overall and well divided stats, with the only let down being speed. You can imagine what would happen if he suddenly got fast. Tyranitar’s move pool is amazing, and he can reach an attack of over 400, making him one of the most deadly sweepers in trick room.

V. Countering trick room

Now, after having talked about how amazing trick room is, you might be thinking you should just give up and run away when your opponent uses one, because it’s just impossible to win.
Fear not though, as there’re ways of beating this strategy (as there are with all strategies of course).
Now, as with all teams that are build around changing the field to their preference, they’re a lot easier to beat under normal circumstances. So a good strategy is to stall four turns after they used the move, and then try to destroy the Trick Room users. Stall teams also tend to get the job done, since they don’t care about speed to much to begin with.
Also, remember that Roar and Whirlwind will always go before Trick Room, so you can easily stop pokemon from setting up Trick Room, and pick up some residual damage while you’re on it. Taunt can stop them pretty nicely as well.

VI Conclusion

In short, even though it isn't used all to much, Trick Room can be a great strategy, especialy if your opponent doesn't know what to do about it and it might help you to use some pokemon that you'd otherwise wouldn't even think about.

GarcianSmith
01-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Critiques:
Organize the users by Tier, then alphabetical order.

Spelling and grammar:

I. Introduction
Even though it isn’t used that much, a team based around this move can work very well.

Remember to capitalize all moves and names of Pokemon and stuff.

Well, first of all, it’s always fun to try something new, as you won’t be seeing this kind of team too often.

Since a trick room team relies on Trick room staying in effect, it can fall apart when the effect is lost.

Now, you can keep Trick Room up, sure,

There are lot's of other nit picky spelling things in here, and they don't show up on spell check because it doesnt check for grammar in your browser.

Try adding some pictures to the pokemon.

Space your paragraphs.

For the pokemon, perhaps you could suggest sets?
Perhaps further, you could provide a solid example of a trick room team?

Talk about the playing mentality if you can too. What is generally a good amount of sweepers, back ups and so on in a Trick Room team.

Add a conclusion, wrap the whole thing up.

Tony32
01-14-2010, 08:27 PM
Yeah, this is a great guide, but one thing i noticed is that smeargle can use trick room too if im not mistaken.

bartozio37
01-14-2010, 08:32 PM
Critiques:
Organize the users by Tier, then alphabetical order.

Spelling and grammar:

Remember to capitalize all moves and names of Pokemon and stuff.

There are lot's of other nit picky spelling things in here, and they don't show up on spell check because it doesnt check for grammar in your browser.

Try adding some pictures to the pokemon.

Space your paragraphs.

For the pokemon, perhaps you could suggest sets?
Perhaps further, you could provide a solid example of a trick room team?

Talk about the playing mentality if you can too. What is generally a good amount of sweepers, back ups and so on in a Trick Room team.

Add a conclusion, wrap the whole thing up.

Thanks for the advise, I'll ad it later. thought I said something about the amount though.

@Tony, can't believe i missed that, I'll change it this instant.

shipowdon
01-14-2010, 09:18 PM
Excellent guide, I actually thought about making a trick room team a while ago but i knew nothing about it. Thanks for this. :)

Dragonknight
01-14-2010, 09:33 PM
to formalize things:
Trick Room.
Flare Blitz,
Earthquake

move names are both capitalized.

Dimes
01-14-2010, 09:40 PM
You should explain the usefulness of Trick Room in all tiers.

GarcianSmith
01-15-2010, 12:01 AM
Your Trick Room list is also out of date. Starmie, Regice and more can learn it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/gravity

bartozio37
01-15-2010, 01:09 PM
Your Trick Room list is also out of date. Starmie, Regice and more can learn it.

http://www.smogon.com/dp/moves/gravity

You took the wrong list, that's about pokemon who can learn gravity.
But yeah, the tiers of the pokemon were out of date, so i've edited it. It should be up to date now.

GarcianSmith
01-15-2010, 02:57 PM
lololol, my bad, I totally mixed up gimmicks.

bartozio37
01-21-2010, 03:54 PM
okay, I added some pics (some don't look as great as i had hoped though, so I'll replace them shortly) and did some more layout. movesets for the examples are up next.

bobphillip
02-17-2010, 10:21 PM
Make a list of what most TR teams should have.
Ex. Most TR teams have:
Sweepers: X amount
Supporters: X amount
Trick Room abusers:X amount
and etc.

Larainge
02-20-2010, 02:47 PM
i like it but trick room team fail in 1on1 which shoddy can only play for right now but its still really nice. btw 5 gen needs something to make trick room and gravity long like a or the time space stone.

Ganondorf
02-20-2010, 03:41 PM
Lolwut? Why no mention of dusknoir or porygon2 for trick room users? They're both one of the best because of their crippling capabilities.

bartozio37
02-20-2010, 05:02 PM
Lolwut? Why no mention of dusknoir or porygon2 for trick room users? They're both one of the best because of their crippling capabilities.

I only added some to give an idea of what trick room users should be able to. After that, people can look for their own trick room users (and then finding porygon2 or dusknoir for instance).