PDA

View Full Version : Board Layout

Taylor
01-23-2010, 05:09 AM
Since joining the forums back last year, there's been just one, small problem that I have with this community: the forum layout. A successful forum should be as simple as can be. A couple of benefits from a well-organized forum, are as follows:

- Adequete Organisation, which promotes ideal navigation for users locating areas of the field they're interested in.
- Active discussion, all over. One area covering a variety of topics becomes active, which develops growth.
- More staff members assigned to just one catagory can maintain it to greater effect, as it becomes much easier to moderate.

I haven't been involved with Team Uber, so there are likely to be forums, et. cetera, that I have not included or have merged with what I feel is their relevant catagory. But here is, for now, a rough idea that I have designed:

Team Uber:

-News and Announcements (subforums: tu shoddy battle) or you could just announce server issues in N&A without a subforum
-Suggestions, Help and B&Es
-Welcome
-TU Shop

The Mezzanine:

-General Chat (subforums: Gaming Central)
-Art and Graphics (subforums: SOTM)
-Forum Games (Your Firebot, so to speak)

Pokemon / Competitive

-Pokemon Discussion (subforums: in-game discussion; competitive discussion, warstory archive)
-RMT (subforums: rmt archive)
-WiFi

Team Uber: The Future

-Battling Emulous: Suspect, Tiers and LCC
-TPC (subforums: completed projects; revamps; user created projects)
-Team Uber Academy
-Analysis Workshop (subforums: implemented analysis; finalized analysis; D-B analysis
-Guides, Articles

Events

-Tournaments
-Seasonal Tour
-Team Uber League
-TU Clans

Comments, suggestions?

Thank you

Eternal
01-23-2010, 05:14 AM
I like this idea.

Sheep
01-23-2010, 05:15 AM
Your layout looks really good.

I hope James could maybe try this.

Stone_Cold22
01-23-2010, 05:19 AM
I love the layout and enjoy the criticism. I would like an anime/movies board though haha.

Quacks
01-23-2010, 05:57 AM
I support this motion.

I mean, right now there's a subforum with exacly two topics.

Eternal
01-23-2010, 08:49 PM
What do you guys think of the new layout?

Taylor
01-23-2010, 08:54 PM
I prefer my layout, but this one is certainly an improvement.

But why is Entertainment a subforum? It's essentially "general chat". It's like us making a subforum called "sports" -- it fits under "general chat" and making threads in that one forum would cover the genre just fine, so it's not necessary.

Lovat
01-23-2010, 08:55 PM
What do you guys think of the new layout?

<33 It's Super-special-awesomely sexy, reminds me of cats.

Eternal
01-23-2010, 09:03 PM
I prefer my layout, but this one is certainly an improvement.

But why is Entertainment a subforum? It's essentially "general chat". It's like us making a subforum called "sports" -- it fits under "general chat" and making threads in that one forum would cover the genre just fine, so it's not necessary.

It's because most of us like to keep discussions relating to things like Anime and Music seperate from discussions relating to the forum as a whole. We like to seperate that difference.

Taylor
01-23-2010, 09:13 PM
That's fine.

What about Questions & Answers? It does not seem necessary to me. "What's your favourite movie?" for example, would be just as well suited in the General Chat forum. It's a forum where the questions are drawn from their relevant forums and needlessly put somewhere else -- there's no need t seperate. Keep the togetherness and you'll find more activity in one area -- it's far more encouraging. If anything, you can have a "Help Me" thread in the Suggestions subforum.

Thoughts?

Eternal
01-23-2010, 09:19 PM
That's fine.

What about Questions & Answers? It does not seem necessary to me. "What's your favourite movie?" for example, would be just as well suited in the General Chat forum. It's a forum where the questions are drawn from their relevant forums and needlessly put somewhere else -- there's no need t seperate. Keep the togetherness and you'll find more activity in one area -- it's far more encouraging. If anything, you can have a "Help Me" thread in the Suggestions subforum.

Thoughts?

Yea, that makes sense.

Quacks
01-23-2010, 10:45 PM
Is "Bugs and Errors" subforum necessary ? There's only three threads in there that were used during past year. It might as well be compiled into one big (possibly sticked) thread.

Eternal
01-23-2010, 10:54 PM
Is "Bugs and Errors" subforum necessary ? There's only three threads in there that were used during past year. It might as well be compiled into one big (possibly sticked) thread.

True.

Dragonknight
01-23-2010, 11:38 PM
I think every user can arrange however they like. maybe merge all subforums into one if they want, or merge just one. whatever they want.

Hero Kid
01-24-2010, 01:49 PM
I think every user can arrange however they like. maybe merge all subforums into one if they want, or merge just one. whatever they want.

What?
Its the forum not the website

I think james planned this out like so to make the place look more like a general area to hang out then full on pokes. I support you ideas with the inactive forums but i still like to see the place with variety everywhere.

Btw who are you? (D)

Yondie
01-25-2010, 01:02 AM
An anime/manga section would be awesome for a sub-forum on general chat.
Also an older Generation discussion section could be included? I like G&OR section's tooo :P.