PDA

View Full Version : Reforming the TU forums

Statigar
03-02-2010, 08:29 PM
It has come to my increased attention that the forums are dying, not because of innactivity, but because of stupidity and trolling. I am therefore going to fulfil my duty as an admin, and end my "relaxed" control, and start to ban those who break the rules, even if they are people I love (ZoD, Masta etc).

My proposed solution:

- Creation of a "firebot" type forum, for faggots to troll in.
- Banning of users who break the rules on all the other sections of the forum.
- Clearing up the trash, and starting to create intelligent topics and posts.
- Re-organisation of the whole forum. This new layout may seem concise, but its full of ****.

Swearing on the otherhand, will be permitted on the forum.

Latiosmaster
03-02-2010, 08:42 PM
- Creation of a "firebot" type forum, for faggots to troll in. -What good will this do?
- Banning of users who break the rules on all the other sections of the forum. -Agreed
- Clearing up the trash, and starting to create intelligent topics and posts. -^ has to be taken in place first, because they always end up with trolling.
- Re-organisation of the whole forum. This new layout may seem concise, but its full of ****. -Whatever you say =)

So yea, just my thoughts.

Dragonknight
03-02-2010, 09:17 PM
I agree. Also, being more organized should boost the activity here. I think we should run a 3 strike-you'reout system, where a certain amount of infraction gets you a ban until one of the infractions runs out. also, I think that mods should be more professional when giving infractions, and though it pains me to say it, respect the banned, even though they don't deserve it. for example, the way Eternal banned MastaofDDr was rather unprofessional, and could've turned away many possible active forum posters. If we keep these forums more professional, it would boost activity.

just my thoughts on this..for now

Quacks
03-02-2010, 11:03 PM
[QUOTE=Latiosmaster;142939]- Creation of a "firebot" type forum, for faggots to troll in. -What good will this do?/QUOTE]

Possibly keep serious discussion **** and random **** separate.

Sheep
03-02-2010, 11:18 PM
we need /tu/

Larainge
03-02-2010, 11:24 PM
but about admin repecting people of TU some of you are rude im not naming anyone i remember a post iggylow made about this something about not being banned for dumn reason and not being mean if your going to stop trolling dont ban for dumn reason ask why listen then speak if its not good kick them or ban i think this way is fair for people from smogon who come here when there down credit for this method goes to wildchase his youtube channel name is read my channel then speak words to live by

Dragonknight
03-02-2010, 11:33 PM
also, i think we need to enforce some type of age rule from now on..sure, TU is lenient, but i feel that it has become TOO lenient over time...

Latiosmaster
03-02-2010, 11:41 PM
^With me as an exception =)

Dragonknight
03-02-2010, 11:43 PM
hence "from now on". theres no way to get rid of already active members, but preventing others are possible.

Eternal
03-03-2010, 12:55 AM
My target is only ******* with Eternal. Cat is not THAT bad, but Eternal is just a ****** to be honest.

Did I hurt your feelings? You're not welcome in these forums. So get the **** out. Do you get the message?

I really don't care if you're going to keep making alts and IP changing. I'm just going to keep banning you. I'm sorry that I don't believe in 162435th chance.

for example, the way Eternal banned MastaofDDr was rather unprofessional, and could've turned away many possible active forum posters.

Lol, you don't even know why I banned him "permanently." So don't think I banned him "unprofessionally." It's as if you're saying I should let someone that's infracted every day to crawl on the forums.

Dragonknight
03-03-2010, 01:11 AM
but the name changing part crossed it a bit imo..just banning him over and over again works just fine imo..then again, i don't really understand these things

Unideal
03-03-2010, 01:38 AM
I don't think Team Uber is dying because it's "not organized" or because there's not enough emphasis on intelligent posts.

It's that there's not nearly enough new people.

See, the way I figure it is that websites create content. People think the content is pretty cool, so they go on the site's forums if they have one. Forums do not bring people in on their own. It just doesn't happen. People go to Serebii forums because, surprise! Serebii.net.

Intelligent postings are self-creating, because there are enough people for somebody to go to a forum and say, "Hey, what do you think about this?" A bunch of forced philosophical talk between a few regulars has no bearing in the long run, because a) it's forced, and b) there aren't enough new opinions on the matter to keep it going. Also, it doesn't really attract new people. I don't see how it would. I'd think emphasizing that would actually turn away people 'cause it seems stuffy.

I agree that maybe trolling everybody who walks in through the front door is a bad idea, and that's cool. Creating a newbie-friendly atmosphere, however, has no actual bearing if there's no reason for newbies to come. Therein lies the problem.

Content that attracts new people. There's a serious issue here, because as far as I can tell, TU's site offers very little that Smogon doesn't offer better, or at least appear to offer better.

Smogon has reputation. People know Smogon, and that means they'd be willing to trust an opinion from there better... just because they know it. McDonalds, Microsoft, and the like have a lot going on sheer name-brand power. People know Smogon is the place to be for competitive battling. Why go to Team Uber?

Smogon has the vast majority of the best battlers. Yeah, let's face it, out of the top 100 best battlers, maybe 85 of them are already going to Smogon/calling it home. It's established. There's nothing that'll really get them to leave, so it's going to be almost vertical trying to beat Smogon at its own game.

My proposed solution? Change Team Uber's image. The running joke is basically that Team Uber is a trollhouse full of wannabe's. Everybody's got their own opinions on that, but the point is, Team Uber really does act a lot like a tiny Smogon in terms of provided services. Heck, there's even a CAP project. My suggestion is to bill Team Uber as Smogon for the masses. Smogon's got its own reputation for elitism, so the ideal solution is to play against that by emphasizing an environment that's friendly to people who have barely any clue. Do we want that kind of people? Maybe not. If all goes well, however, TU'd also pull in some fairly competent people who want a looksee also. The point, however, is to get established. Better people follow in where there's a good concept and an established name.

Secondly: get the word out. If some of the regulars here aren't already, go and encourage them to join up at popular forums that have related topics of their own. I'm talking about appealing to some of the more general forums here--not Smogon. Put a link in your sig something like: Team Uber - Competitive Battling for the masses... or something that targets Smogon more heavily if you want, and have them rate teams and talk in the Pokemon General Forum or whatever. Not places like the fanfic forum, where TU doesn't have a presence. Targeting Smogon in particular might not get you any more favors from the people you're trying to undercut, but it also lends credibility, so take what risks you want. Tell them to contribute and get a little bit settled in and people might follow the link in their signature. If after some redesigns things get to a point where people like what they see, then the message spreads and new people join.

Emphasize whatever you have that's unique. Archives of great teams? Go for it. Regular Shoddy/Wifi tournaments? Do that too. Anything that you've got the edge on. Put it up on the main page and say, "OTHER PEOPLE DON'T OFFER THIS."

Sure--enforce the rules. Firebot forum? I don't know about that, that might scare people away. Maybe just encourage a more relaxed but less-trollriffic general chat. Heavy banning? I don't know. Exercise that power lightly if your position isn't very stable. Encourage members to help newer members. Avoid being snippy with new people. In fact, encourage new people to spread the word too. They might have connections people already here don't have. It's all about John told Ross who told Tom who told Betty who told Edgar who told...

If something had to go, I might actually suggest the gym structure. Sure, it's unique and all, but it's frankly something that's attributed to the niche sites. It doesn't really look all that professional. That's just my opinion.

Basically: undercut, undercut, undercut. Most of the major Pokemon places have already squatted where anything new might break in, so pull things in from here and there to form a new userbase out of a combination of everybody else's. Heavy revisions and personal dedication will be necessary in large quantities.

That's all I've got to say.

Latiosmaster
03-03-2010, 02:10 AM
I don't think Team Uber is dying because it's "not organized" or because there's not enough emphasis on intelligent posts.

See, the way I figure it is that websites create content. People think the content is pretty cool, so they go on the site's forums if they have one.

Intelligent postings are self-creating, because there are enough people for somebody to go to a forum and say, "Hey, what do you think about this?" A bunch of forced philosophical talk between a few regulars has no bearing in the long run, because a) it's forced, and b) there aren't enough new opinions on the matter to keep it going. Also, it doesn't really attract new people. I don't see how it would. I'd think emphasizing that would actually turn away people 'cause it seems stuffy.

I agree that maybe trolling everybody who walks in through the front door is a bad idea, and that's cool. Creating a newbie-friendly atmosphere, however, has no actual bearing if there's no reason for newbies to come. Therein lies the problem.

Content that attracts new people. There's a serious issue here, because as far as I can tell, TU's site offers nothing that Smogon doesn't offer better, or at least appear to offer better.

Smogon has reputation. People know Smogon, and that means they'd be willing to trust an opinion from there better... just because they know it. McDonalds, Microsoft, and the like have a lot going on sheer name-brand power. People know Smogon is the place to be for competitive battling. Why go to Team Uber?

Smogon has the vast majority of the best battlers. Yeah, let's face it, out of the top 100 best battlers, maybe 85 of them are already going to Smogon/calling it home. It's established. There's nothing that'll really get them to leave, so it's going to be almost vertical trying to beat Smogon at its own game.

My proposed solution? Change Team Uber's image. The running joke is basically that Team Uber is a trollhouse full of wannabe's. Everybody's got their own opinions on that, but the point is, Team Uber really does act a lot like a tiny Smogon in terms of provided services. Heck, there's even a CAP project. My suggestion is to bill Team Uber as Smogon for the masses. Smogon's got its own reputation for elitism, so the ideal solution is to play against that by emphasizing an environment that's friendly to people who have barely any clue. Do we want that kind of people? Maybe not. If all goes well, however, TU'd also pull in some fairly competent people who want a looksee also. The point, however, is to get established. Better people follow in where there's a good concept and an established name.

Secondly: get the word out. If some of the regulars here aren't already, go and encourage them to join up at popular forums that have related topics of their own. I'm talking about appealing to some of the more general forums here--not Smogon. Put a link in your sig something like: Team Uber - Competitive Battling for the masses... or something that targets Smogon more heavily if you want, and have them rate teams and talk in the Pokemon General Forum or whatever. Not places like the fanfic forum, where TU doesn't have a presence. Targeting Smogon in particular might not get you any more favors from the people you're trying to undercut, but it also lends credibility, so take what risks you want. Tell them to contribute and get a little bit settled in and people might follow the link in their signature. If after some redesigns things get to a point where people like what they see, then the message spreads and new people join.

Emphasize whatever you have that's unique. Archives of great teams? Go for it. Regular Shoddy/Wifi tournaments? Do that too. Anything that you've got the edge on. Put it up on the main page and say, "OTHER PEOPLE DON'T OFFER THIS."

Sure--enforce the rules. Firebot forum? I don't know about that, that might scare people away. Maybe just encourage a more relaxed but less-trollriffic general chat. Heavy banning? I don't know. Exercise that power lightly if your position isn't very stable. Encourage members to help newer members. Avoid being snippy with new people. In fact, encourage new people to spread the word too. They might have connections people already here don't have. It's all about John told Ross who told Tom who told Betty who told Edgar who told...

If something had to go, I might actually suggest the gym structure. Sure, it's unique and all, but it's frankly something that's attributed to the niche sites. It doesn't really look all that professional. That's just my opinion.

Basically: undercut, undercut, undercut. Most of the major Pokemon places have already squatted where anything new might break in, so pull things in from here and there to form a new userbase out of a combination of everybody else's. Heavy revisions and personal dedication will be necessary in large quantities.

Damn man, I completely agree. People don't really want to go to Smogon V.2 when Smogon V.1 has more people. I'm not saying were exactly Smogon V.2, but that we have nothing special. Those that peak out in bold.
Smogon has:
-Good Analysis
-Popular WiFi trading
-Popular Shoddy Server
-Good Competitive battling info
-Decent Art section

Serebii Has:
-Lots of information
-Is a Reliable source
-Easy trading place
-Clans

Marriland has:
-Good Information
-Slightly reliable
-Walkthroughs
-A lot of In-game guides
-Pokemon Calculators

Other Not-as-popular Sites Together Have:
-Gyms
-Contests
-Etc.

Now lets look at what TU offers.

TU:
-Decent Analysis's (Smogon)
-Decent competitive battling info (Smogon)
-Gyms (Other Not-as-popular Sites)
-Pokemon Calculators (Marriland/Smogon)
-Clans (Seribii)
-TCP (Smogon)
-Decent Shoddy Server (Smogon)
-A little bit of pokemon info (Seribii)
-Videos (Youtube)

As you can see, Were mostly Smogon with other sites mixed in. We have nothing that peaks out more then the other sites. Why would someone go watch videos on TU instead of Youtube? There is no reason. Also we don't have that great of a reputation, what we need is something that peaks out other sites don't have. One Thing we can peak out on is our Daily live tournaments. We get 1/2 our members because of it and if we improve it, we will surely get more. Thats all for now.
~Latios

Ps. Screw my grammer/Spelling.

Eternal
03-03-2010, 02:30 AM
ROFL Eternal I made like 5 trolls posts on you and you shut down the entire registrations for the forums. All I have to do is bring up the fact that you were mugged outside your own house and you rage and ban me. It takes me like what 4 seconds to IP change and another 10 to make a new alt.

Nice deduction. All you're proving is how retarded you are. "Oh Eternal banned me." "I'm going to get revenge on him by IP changing on the forum and posting useless ****." Also, I didn't perma-ban you because you were trolling against me. I perma-banned you because you trolled against everyone and the forum. And it's fine with me if you want to keep changing IP and making new accounts. I really don't care, it only takes me 1 second to ban you and delete all your posts.

Unideal
03-03-2010, 03:36 AM
I don't think we necessarily have to be best at something (because the people who are there already have most "best x" categories locked). Instead, it's more "Good and different." That's why it's important to advertise the things that make TU unique. It's all about spin.

If we can't match Smogon for quality on analyses, we present it as a second opinion. If we can't match Smogon for battlers, we minister to the people who are afraid of elitism. Spin.

And it's also a lot about getting the name out there; spreading the word.

Iconic
03-03-2010, 03:57 AM
Externally, I don't think we're doing a bad job in terms of recruiting new members. Of course it'll be slower than other big name forums, but that's to be expected with a member-base of only around 4000 people.

In my opinion, the real problems lies internally. Recently there has been a lot of complaints about trolling, and I have personally witnessed it. Many of these trolls are long-time members sick of the current state of the website. While I understand where the frustration comes from, the manner in which they are approaching the issue is just as immature as the people they complain about.

There's no easy solution for this. I've been trying for countless weeks to appease both sides (the trolls and the Staff). Nothing seems to be working, from my pleads with the trolls, to my questioning of the way we conduct ourselves as Staff Members. It's reached the point that I'm so fed up with everything that I'm probably just begin a more hard-edged policy. Got 3,000 posts but are trolling? Like I care, I'll ban you just as I'd ban someone with 6 posts. I've been too lenient with my friends, and I suppose that is the root of the problem. Unless there's so sort of miraculous turn around, I don't see any other plausible solutions.

Unideal does bring up some good points about getting our name out there though. However, I don't see this as the most urgent issue at the moment. Once we get our internal problems settled, only then should we be focussing on expanding.

PSN_shade
03-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Well, I'm not too sure if i get an opinion since i was only here since 2008 and not when TU Started so I've missed a lot of the stuff people are making valid points about, However when it comes to getting TU's name out there, You must first start with the existing opinions of TU, Maybe mend a few bridges with other sites that feel uneasy about TeamUber.

This will beneficially bring a wider variety of people here, Also as for posting and trolls, I too have seen them at work, I would limit posts to a 10 character count or more, Simply because this forces people to write things other than LOL, ROFL, ^ Win or ***.. Some of the very pointless posts people are creating to earn forum points.

I actually Love TeamUber, There is nothing that needs to dramatically change, Except maybe make it 13+, As a lot of TU's existing active members are over 15, and some conversations may be unsuitable for lower age groups.

The one thing that stands out about TU to me, Is that unlike Smogon, Marriland and Serebii, I actually feel comfortable coming here, Similar aged members, great features and if the trolling stopped there would be more intelligent posts to reply to.

Just my thoughts....

Statigar
03-03-2010, 04:47 PM
adding:

-Email verification on registration
-10 character limit on posts

I completely agree, and for once i have finally seen some well thought of, well structured opinions come out from the members of this forum!

If TeamUber were to be unique and stand out from the other communities, I guess we'd need to focus more on either improving what we have to offer, or by thinking of something new. Lets face it though, discovering something new is hard these days..

i am cool
03-03-2010, 05:13 PM
in our current state, we can't really surpass smogon in analyses. it's too late now because the fifth generation is going to be released in this year. we can, however, make a new start when generation 5 begins, and i'm always willing to help if it doesn't turn out to be a one-man show. maybe we'll finally beat smogon at something...

we could also create a better atmosphere. a friendly atmosphere was the only thing that attracted me to another forum (non-pokemon related), and most of the trolling is occurring because we, as members, are enraged at the actions that some moderators take. maybe lowering the level of insults will help us create this so-called better ambiance.

in addition, something like weekly contests with different prizes and topics might help us receive a new flock of contributing members. we could also add more customizable options to people's profiles and things like trophies or more conspicuous awards.

we will hardly face any problems if these suggestions take place. a fresh start is the best action that we can take. maybe telling masta to come back and settle his differences with eternal is the best way to start on organizing this place. philosophical discussions aren't really needed, but users adding more substance to their posts will obviously be appreciated. i guess the only thing we can do pokemon-related is to wait for the fifth generation. the only thing we can do now is create this friendly atmosphere that will allow users to feel as if they were home...sweet, sweet home.

Eternal
03-03-2010, 06:36 PM
I don't think 10 characters limit is necessary.

Lets look at it this way. Teamuber is still a small community. Very few here are trolls (Masta). Trolls create a bad environment for any new member here. Would you stay in a community when you see a ****** making retarded posts as insults to you or any other member? Your opinion of that community would be: "what a childish, immature place." Unlike how Marriland, Serebii, Smogon, and every other successful community that enforces rules and follows them accordingly, we are unable to. Why? Because we're so laid back as to allowing our friends to hang out here even though they are a negative influence amongst the community. Teamuber was first created to be a community with only those that are mature and willing battlers in competitive battling. Having a notion of, "Oh, we're becoming more like Smogon because we're being too harsh" is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to allow 12 year old kids that are still going through puberty and can't keep their balls from trolling the forum, then you might as well call TU, "Trolls United," or relate us to trolls. As that's what I've been hearing.

To resolve this issue, we need to enforce the rules as they are. Anyone unable to follow the rules accordingly is unwelcomed to this community. Being more strict with the forums is the best way to create peace and flourish more intelligent discussions. I want this forum to be more mature and not a place for little kids to fight against one another in the internet.

Lovat
03-03-2010, 06:43 PM

See, the way I figure it is that websites create content. People think the content is pretty cool, so they go on the site's forums if they have one. Forums do not bring people in on their own. It just doesn't happen. People go to Serebii forums because, surprise! Serebii.net.

Content that attracts new people. There's a serious issue here, because as far as I can tell, TU's site offers very little that Smogon doesn't offer better, or at least appear to offer better.

^ Example of a good member who takes time to share his views. Posts like these make us as a community look clever. Kudos!

but about admin repecting people of TU some of you are rude im not naming anyone i remember a post iggylow made about this something about not being banned for dumn reason and not being mean if your going to stop trolling dont ban for dumn reason ask why listen then speak if its not good kick them or ban i think this way is fair for people from smogon who come here when there down credit for this method goes to wildchase his youtube channel name is read my channel then speak words to live by

^ Example of a slightly bad member who has no idea what he's doing and makes the forums look silly.

My opinions:
These forums are full of trolls, I'll admit, this the best forums I've been part of, It's just the trolls. If there is anyway we can stop people (like Masta) making alt accounts just to spite people, then I'd be happy, because I'm sure that most all members are fed up with Masta's trolling, It's getting old, fast.

Once the trolling problem is dealt with, we can them work on making the forums more active with hopefully intelligent discussions, that make people want to join.

We really don't have a stable way to keep members flooding in. There's no advertising. I'm not sure how to fix this problem, I know we can't advertise on Smogon and there has been issues in the past. I'm just saying there isn't a way for people to become aware of our community, sure we have affiliates, but how many people look at a sites affiliates, we can't rely on people spreading the word about us either, especially seeing how most of it will be negative thanks to our troll infestation. Like I said I don't know how to fix this and sure other communities have this exact problem, we just need for people to become aware of us, maybe we could target the Youtube community, get some popular battler to join and spread the word.

PSN_shade
03-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I don't think 10 characters limit is necessary.

Lets look at it this way. Teamuber is still a small community. Very few here are trolls (Masta). Trolls create a bad environment for any new member here. Would you stay in a community when you see a ****** making retarded posts as insults to you or any other member? Your opinion of that community would be: "what a childish, immature place." Unlike how Marriland, Serebii, Smogon, and every other successful community that enforces rules and follows them accordingly, we are unable to. Why? Because we're so laid back as to allowing our friends to hang out here even though they are a negative influence amongst the community. Teamuber was first created to be a community with only those that are mature and willing battlers in competitive battling. Having a notion of, "Oh, we're becoming more like Smogon because we're being too harsh" is absolutely ridiculous. If you're going to allow 12 year old kids that are still going through puberty and can't keep their balls from trolling the forum, then you might as well call TU, "Trolls United," or relate us to trolls. As that's what I've been hearing.

To resolve this issue, we need to enforce the rules as they are. Anyone unable to follow the rules accordingly is unwelcomed to this community. Being more strict with the forums is the best way to create peace and flourish more intelligent discussions. I want this forum to be more mature and not a place for little kids to fight against one another in the internet.

It isn't much to ask that we make our posts 10 characters or less, That's a very short sentence, Something we as educated humans should be able to do.

I understand where your coming from though.. But i have seen sites enforce rules that you think are ideal, It never works out, There needs to be discipline in order for a site to run and increase in activity, If people are aware of the rules, And choose to break them then they should indeed be banned, But you should never turn away activity because people disagree with the rules, It's human rights to have your opinion over something, But at the same time it doesn't stop them following them, So there own actions should decide if they stay or go.

Latiosmaster
03-03-2010, 09:14 PM
10 Character Limit will increase double-triple posts because its hard to get your point across. That equals in less intelligent posts. Even my first sentence exceeds the limit.

Unideal
03-03-2010, 09:18 PM
10 Character Limit will increase double-triple posts because its hard to get your point across. That equals in less intelligent posts. Even my first sentence exceeds the limit.

I think they mean you have to have a post of AT LEAST 10 characters. Not at most.

Latiosmaster
03-03-2010, 09:21 PM
Ah I see. Don't really think thats necessary, needing to post 10 characters to say in? The only help it will have is wasting a few seconds of a trolls life.

PSN_shade
03-03-2010, 09:26 PM

The 10 Character count limit is the minimum your allowed to type.. Not what your allowed to type lol.

Mig
03-03-2010, 09:54 PM
Also, i don't see the point in having an age restriction as everyone could just lie about their age. Plus, it would encourage the really inmature ones to register and troll: "Oooo is a +14 site, i'll just type i'm 18. I'm so pro, *******"

cat
03-03-2010, 11:48 PM
http://www.coppa.org/comply.htm

its a law

we fall under the "subject matter" category

DaPlayaFlow
03-04-2010, 01:40 AM
**** oath, swearing is the best!

Unideal
03-07-2010, 12:38 AM
So is anything being done to this effect?

Sheep
03-07-2010, 12:48 AM
no

we are staying the same

zod
03-07-2010, 01:32 PM
no

we are staying the same
this is the most truthful post there is in this thread

/tu/ won't work, it hurt tu more than it did help it

just do 5 character limit, you can make an intelligent post with only 5 letters

teamuber.net is not bringing new members in, its the shoddy server, so i guess if james has the time he could "pimp our server". the site really doesnt do anything, so we should focus more on the forums and server and making it better.

for eternal and masta buttsecks thing i suggest you guys talk over it on pm and not have people talk for you instead and try to get it worked out

oh and eternal tu is a relaxed forum, and doesnt believe in banning people for doing 1 little bad thing.

Unideal
03-07-2010, 05:42 PM
teamuber.net is not bringing new members in,

So why not rework it to do so?

its the shoddy server, so i guess if james has the time he could "pimp our server". the site really doesnt do anything, so we should focus more on the forums and server and making it better.

The server is probably the main draw here. Forums alone simply don't bring in members unless they've for some reason or other made it so big that they can move forward on sheer momentum. We don't have that, so, really, we've only got the server bringing people in. Why not work to bring the other parts of the trifecta up to par? Give a purpose to the community and all that. Advertising, too. "The Smogon for the masses--elitism need not apply" Or whatever.

The most important thing to work on is the site and the forums. The server's fine, but it just doesn't encourage people to stay at a forum. Even if you like the TU server for whatever reason, Smogon site/forum just heavily outclasses us and doesn't encourage people to stay. So the idea is to bulk up and spin what you have to account for the gap. Plain and simple advertising too (just a link in the sig somewhere), 'cause why wait for people to just stumble upon it while googling?

In fact, in a search for "Pokemon competitive battling" I can't find Team Uber at all.

Dragonknight
03-07-2010, 05:43 PM
this is the most truthful post there is in this thread

/tu/ won't work, it hurt tu more than it did help it

just do 5 character limit, you can make an intelligent post with only 5 letters

teamuber.net is not bringing new members in, its the shoddy server, so i guess if james has the time he could "pimp our server". the site really doesnt do anything, so we should focus more on the forums and server and making it better.

for eternal and masta buttsecks thing i suggest you guys talk over it on pm and not have people talk for you instead and try to get it worked out

oh and eternal tu is a relaxed forum, and doesnt believe in banning people for doing 1 little bad thing.

/Tu/ did not work because everybody just started posting porn... If we can be mature about this, it can still work.

sure you can make an intelligent post with only 5 letters, but it is just so much easier for you to make a dumb post with only 5 letters.

also, the site does do a lot, it just hasn't been fully completed.. if we make our outer "shell" better looking, it will attract a lot more people to the forums.

Tu is a relaxed forum, but i can't be so relaxed that people can just troll rampantly.

zod
03-07-2010, 10:42 PM
/tu/ wont work, your saying if we limited the trolling /tu/ would work <_<

or and unideal type in best pokemon resource, tu is numba 1

cat
03-08-2010, 12:21 AM
too bad no one types that in when looking for a competitive pokemon outlet.

Yondie
03-08-2010, 03:18 AM
Or TU could advertise alot. If the site has any popular youtubers it would be the perfect opportunity to do so.
*coughs zmt, tsp,mtgxerxes coughs*

PSN_shade
03-08-2010, 10:04 AM
TSP and ZMT no longer battle if i recall correctly, And MTG is more solo than a team player.

Dragonknight
03-08-2010, 09:04 PM
MTGxerxes lives in my city. if anybody has powerful stalking skills i'll knock on his door.

Dimes
03-08-2010, 11:48 PM
/tu/ was deleted because it became terrible bcosiggy

piaka
03-09-2010, 01:28 AM
We need to advertise everywhere. YouTube is a great place to start, but it will attract even more spammers. We should advertise on smogon, after all, that's where most of us came from. And as for the age restriction thing, that's a load of  . If we only let in elders (18 and up, tu will have no future. We need more youth.

PowertothePika
03-09-2010, 04:24 AM
If I'm not mistaken, TU got in a shitload of trouble for advertising on Smogon a year ago or something.

piaka
03-09-2010, 06:52 AM
BS. Never heard about it.

PowertothePika
03-09-2010, 10:11 PM
Well have you even been here for a year?

Sheep
03-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Yeah, we got in a lot of trouble for that.

Our server was taken off the metalist

Yondie
03-18-2010, 12:51 AM
Basically the entire crew of Tu people ladders under

TU-"insert your username" and basically took up the entire leaderboard. People posted links to the forum on smogons forums/ server as well iirc.

Basically Colin and smogon raged and they took them off as sheep said.

Hero Kid
03-18-2010, 08:03 PM
Im sure its fine if you stay on just TU's server..

Quacks
03-18-2010, 08:47 PM
in our current state, we can't really surpass smogon in analyses. it's too late now because the fifth generation is going to be released in this year. we can, however, make a new start when generation 5 begins, and i'm always willing to help if it doesn't turn out to be a one-man show. maybe we'll finally beat smogon at something...

I agree with this. Before we'll have decent analysis for all pokes, gen 5 will be out. Smogon's tiering process is awfully slow - gen 5 will bring quite a bit of chaos into world of competitive battling. Assuming TU will create a usable tierlist before Smogon does, TU will "net" some new users, as well as some (any?) influence.

In fact, in a search for "Pokemon competitive battling" I can't find Team Uber at all.

We're on page two, although it's not teamuber.net, but Pokémon / Competitive Battling section of the forums. Still, fact that librarium-online is above us says a lot. Being on page two is like not existing at all, as people tend to click first result from the top, which happens to be Smogon in this case.

Yondie
03-19-2010, 01:26 AM
That would lead to us in the meantime finding as many analysis writers as possible, considering smogon has a much bigger CnC staff compared to TU. Also TU server is going to have to prepare alot for gen 5 ahead of time. Also as far as the analysis's go, the sites design is far superior to Smogon, but the analysis's itself are poorly written(for the most part), need major revamping and additions. There are also many actual types on the set. for example choice band Scizors move set says.
u
turn
pursuit
bullet punch.

@Unideal: must not of looked very hard. Though Smogon is number 1 tu is right here

http://i707.photobucket.com/albums/ww79/Yellow_flash_Yondaime/unideal.jpg

supertrunks8
03-19-2010, 10:32 AM
That is one of the annoying things about uploading the analysis. The coding makes it think that the hyphen is registering a new move, so the people uploading the analysis have to upload it, then edit it to fix it (because the edit is set up differently than the upload, all 4 moves aren't in the same box).