PDA

View Full Version : Vaporeon Analysis Revamp (WIP)

Tony32
03-19-2010, 10:18 PM

Vaporeon:

http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/art/sugimori/134.png

Summary:

Most Used Set:
Vaporeon's most used set would have to be it's Wish Support set. Vaporeon is perhaps the most reliable Wish Passer that the current OU metagame has to offer. With Vaporeon's neat ability Water Absorb, and it's overall bulk and typing, it has plenty of opportunities to switch in and cure it's health with Wish+Protect, or Wish pass to cure it's teammates health. Vaporeon is also known as one of the best Infernape checks in this current metagame.

Counters + Checks:

Vaporeon usual counters are those who resists all Vaporeon throws at it. Jolteon can come in a match and hit Vaporeon very hard with a STAB Thunderbolt scoring a OHKO against Vaporeon, but must watch out for Vaporeon STAB Surf on the switch in which will hurt a lot. Rotom-A gets a big mention because it can sponge Vaporeon surfs and hit back with a STAB Thunderbolt, or it could trick a scarf onto Vaporeon leaving it utterly useless. The best counter to Vaporeon would have to be Blissey, Vaporeon cannot beat Blissey one on one because of Blissey high HP and Special Defense. Celebi also can come in and cripple Vaporeon with Thunder Wave, and can set up Leech Seed while it uses Grass Knot to ware Vaporeon down, or it can OHKO Vaporeon with Leaf Storm. A special defensive Skarmory can come in, taunt if Vaporeon wishes, and proceed from there either setting up spikes, or waring Vaporeon down with Toxic. Shaymin can come in on a surf, and hit Vaporeon with a STAB Seed Flare, but must make sure Vaporeon isn't going to use Ice Beam on the switch in. Even though Vaporeon seems like it has the upper advantage with Water Absorb, Suicune can use Calm Mind and PP Stall Vaporeon, or hit it with HP:Electric. Zapdos is also a good Vaporeon check, due to it's bulkyness, it can come in on Vaporeon and attempt to scare it away with a STAB Thunderbolt, Substitute + Toxic Zapdos can come in and scare Vaporeon away while it sets up a Substitute and proceed from there. Calm Mind Jirachi can also set up on Vaporeon successfully and hit Vaporeon with a Thunderbolt.

Types of Teams Pokemon Is Used In:

Basically any team that needs a wish passer, or a water type Pokemon like Vaporeon to sponge up fire attacks.

In Depth:

http://www.gtsplus.net/files/images/sprites/hgss2fn/134.png
Wish Passer @ http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0f/Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spd
Nature: Bold

-Wish
-Protect
-Surf
-Ice Beam/Toxic/Hidden Power Electric/Roar

This is Vaporeon most used set, it takes advantage of Vaporeon wish passing abilities. Vaporeon has multiple times to come in on a water or fire attack, and proceed from there with a Wish, or a STAB Surf depending on the type of situation you are in. Protect clearly is for obvious reasons, letting Vaporeon recover it's HP after it uses Wish. The last slot is your choice, depending on what the rest of your team is. If your team is stall-based, you probably want to pick roar as the last slot, so Vaporeon can not only act as a wish passer, but a phazer, phazing out anyone who is attempting to set up stat boosts, and shuffling up entry hazards. The EVs is pretty self explanatory, max out Vaporeon HP and Defense so it can take physical hits better. This is the main set many people use to check the top threats in the OU Metagame. Not only can this set check threats like Infernape and Heatran, but if Vaporeon is at a reasonable state of health, it can Wish+Protect Mix Mence Draco Meteors. Now that Latias doesn't exists in the OU metagame, you can be sure to see Vaporeon more often on various types of teams.

You can run the alternative spread of 188 HP/ 252 Def/ 68 Speed EV spread which outspeed Skarmory and Metagross which could be drastic later in the game. But you must note to yourself, when doing this, you lose a bit of bulk that the regular EV spread had, but if you really need a Infernape check, i would suggest you use the first EV spread listen to take it's STAB Close Combat a bit better.
Baton Pass @ http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/0/0f/Bag_Leftovers_Sprite.png
EVs:128 HP / 252 Def / 128 Spe
Nature: Calm/Bold

- Baton Pass
- Substitute/Acid Armor
- Wish/Aqua Ring
- Roar/Surf

Vaporeon can not only act as a Wish Passer, but can act like a Baton Passer too. Vaporeon is a very important Baton Passer, Vaporeon can either set up a Sustitute, or try and get a defensive boost with Acid Armor, Substitute protects you from random Choice Scarfers with Trick that tries to spoil your fun of setting up successfully. Wish and Aqua Ring can be a very reliable source for your other teammates to replenish their health and so fourth. Roar can be used over Surf to get rid of pesky Phazers such as Skarmory, and Gyarados. This set is mainly for Baton Pass teams only, so you really shouldn't place it on a standard team and expect it to work, it mainly works well because of the Surprise Factor.

The 128 Speed EVs let Vaporeon outspeed all base 130's after it receive two speed boosts from Ninjask or any other Pokemon that can Baton Pass an Agility or two to Vaporeon. 188 HP EVs allows Vaporeon to hit its highest Leftovers number, the rest of the EVs can be poured into Vaporeon Defense so it can boost it's physical bulk to take hit's better.
Choice Specs @ http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/b/b1/Bag_Choice_Specs_Sprite.png
EVs: 188 Def / 252 SpA / 68 Spe
Nature: Modest

- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power Electric
- Wish/Hydro/Signal Beam/Shadow Ball

Most of the time, people often forget about Vaporeon base 110 Special Attack. Surf is the primary move here, utilizing Vaporeon hardest hitting STAB move of this set is no tough task. Even those who can come in on a standard Vaporeon Surf will have a hard time coming in on a Spec Vaporeon Surf. Ice Beam and Hidden Power Electric is for those who resist Vaporeon STAB Surf, much like the likes of Celebi and Gyarados. The last move is for your own personal preference, Even though Spec Vaporeon main role is to come in and spam a STAB Surf, it still can play a role as a wish passer, Although, it cant heal it's self with heal because it's locked into one move, but Vaporeon awesome ability Water Absorb let's it have many opportunities to come in on a water attack and replenish it's own health. Shadow Ball can be used as the last slot if you want to hit a incoming Rotom-A hard, and kill with an OHKO. Signal beam can be used for things like Tyranitar but Surf already hit's it hard anyway.

If you hate the fact that Vaporeon can only use one move, you can also attach a Life Orb onto Vaporeon, with Life Orb, Vaporeon still hit's hard but also has a choice to change it's moves, it's also recommended that you put Wish as the last move on the Life Orb set so you can heal your recoil away.

Without any Defensive Evs, Vaporeon isn't going to wall any hits, and with the Choice Specs Set, Vaporeon isn't a very good Check to those that it usually checks with the Standard Wish Set. Vaporeon main job is to come in, and Wreck Havoc before it dies. Much like the Baton Pass set, this set is mainly used because of the surprise factor. If you really do consider using this set, i would suggest some type of support with Toxic Spiker so it can ware down Blissey, Celebi and others that usually switch into Vaporeon.

Other Options: The Acid Armor set deserves a mention, Vaporeon can act as a Toxic/PP staller with the Acid Armor Set. The key here is to remove all special attackers from the field, get Vaporeon in on a resisted move, and use Acid Armor to raise it's defenses and act as a decent staller annoying the opponent to the fullest. As i stated before, Life Orb can be used over Choice Specs if you want a bit more breathing room while still hitting things hard with Vaporeon STAB Surf. Fake Tears is also a good choice if you want to scout the opponent Pokemon, and causing switches. Heal Bell also deserves a great mention, as it makes Vaporeon the ultimate team mate, not only passing wishes, but healing other team mates status inflictions. Roar could be used to scout opponents, as well as acting as a phazer shuffling entry hazards such as Spikes and Toxic Spikes.

Opinion: Vaporeon is such an amazing Pokemon, with access to moves such as Wish, Protect, Heal Bell, it pretty much acts like the ultimate team mate. It often fulfill it's great role as a Wish passer, and also has a neat ability which makes it even more great. Now that Latias is Uber, everyone is looking for a decent Infernape check, Vaporeon is the right pokemon for the job, with great HP, and good defense, Vaporeon can come in on Infernape Fire Blast and Wish off the damage and threaten to hit Infernape with a STAB Surf.

Tony32
03-19-2010, 10:19 PM
Yea, i'll finish this when i have time.

Also, statigar, im sorry for taking so long with this, i know i was suppose to do this and finish this a while ago but i was going through some rough times in life so i basically had no time to do/finish it. Will finish later though...

Iris
03-20-2010, 12:57 AM
ive never seen acid armor so i don't know if you would want to put that. just my thoughts

Tony32
03-20-2010, 01:16 AM
ive never seen acid armor so i don't know if you would want to put that. just my thoughts

Yea, that's why i was wondering should i add it or not, so yea, im going to take it out, thanks for the suggestion. But, i will give it a mention in the other options area.

Dimes
03-20-2010, 09:02 PM
Put it under other options.

Tony32
03-21-2010, 05:13 PM
Ok, im done.

Would be nice if someone can proof read/spell check this.

Kuja20
03-22-2010, 12:05 PM
For the usual counters, I would suggest saying that Celebi with Leaf Storm will always OHKO it, as well as this Skarmory with Taunt + Toxic. Otherwise, no major nitpicks.

Tony32
03-22-2010, 03:50 PM
For the usual counters, I would suggest saying that Celebi with Leaf Storm will always OHKO it, as well as this Skarmory with Taunt + Toxic. Otherwise, no major nitpicks.

Thanks for the input kuja, i will add those suggestions right away.

Tony32
06-17-2010, 06:21 PM
I revamped it a bit, anyone thinks it's ready?

Dimes
06-17-2010, 09:26 PM
Zapdos and subcmJirachi needs to be mentioned in counters too.

Kuja20
06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
New section pl0x

Kuja20
06-17-2010, 09:40 PM
New section pl0x