PDA

View Full Version : Celebi Analysis Revamp

BlueBlur
03-20-2010, 07:04 PM
Celebi

http://i123.photobucket.com/albums/o303/NekoDevil_666/celebi.jpg

Overview:
Having an all around base of sturdy stats, Celebi is second to none when it comes to versatility. Although being given a poor typing compared to most of OU’s top threats, it still holds its ground as one of the strongest walls and clerics in the Standard environment.

Defensive Celebi:

http://i139.photobucket.com/albums/q319/fuckyou25/Celebi.gif

Celebi@ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 hp/ 220 def/ 36 spe
Nature: Bold (+def, -att)

-Grass Knot
-Recover
-Hidden Power Fire/ Hidden Power Ice
-Thunder Wave/ Leech Seed

Celebi needs no hesitation when italicizing its defensive capabilities. Celebi is able to switch in on many physical threats in the Standard environment and effortlessly replenish its health as well as annoy its opposition.

Celebi is given Grass Knot as a reliable STAB move in order to hit both defensive and offensive threats such as Swampert, Suicune, and Tyranitar super effectively. Grass Knot also wears down bulkier opposition such as Gyarados and Empoleon. With Recover as an instant recovery move, Celebi finds itself being able to more effectively shrug off any damage inflicted upon it. Hidden Power Fire is recommended in order hit steel types such as Metagross, Scizor, and Skarmory which are surefire encounters within the Standard environment. However, it may also be substituted with Hidden Power Ice, which is vital in damaging the dominant dragons of OU. For the final slot, Thunder Wave may be used in order to cripple common switch ins hoping for a free boost such as Heatran, Salamence, and Latias, although the ladder may carry Refresh. You may also utilize Leech Seed as the final move slot in order to aid in Celebi’s health regeneration and wearing down the opposition.

Finally, the 36 speed EVs are used to outspeed max speed Jolly Tyranitar. 252 EVs are placed into hp so that Celebi is able to muster hits from both sides of the spectrum. The remaining EVs are put into defense so that Celebi can accomplish its ability and role as a physically defensive threat.

Anti-Lead:

Celebi@ Occa Berry
EVs: 76 hp/ 252 spatt/ 180 spe
Nature: Modest (+spatt, -att)

-Leaf Storm
-Stealth Rock
-Earth Power
-U-Turn

With Celebi’s decent speed and movepool, it finds itself in a brilliant position as an excellent anti-lead. Thanks to Leaf Storm’s incredible power, Celebi is able to 2HKO both Gliscor and Aerodactyl leads as well as OHKO Swampert and Hippowdon. Stealth Rock is an excellent move for team support and is appreciated most dearly when set up right away. Such makes it suitable to be used on a lead set. Thanks to Occa Berry, Celebi is given an extra turn to take out the likes of Heatran whom will live the first Earth Power thanks to Shuca Berry. Earth Power will also be seen effective against common leads such as Metagross and Infernape. For the final position, U-Turn can be used to break the sash of leads such as Azelf and offer a super effective damage output on switch ins such as Latias.

The EVs are designed to give Celebi enough speed in order to outpace Adamant Lucario and non-scarfed Heatran. EVs are maxed in Special Attack to maximize Celebi’s damage. The rest are used as bulk in hp.

Offensive Celebi:

Celebi@ Life Orb/ Leftovers
EVs: 76 hp/ 252 spatt/ 180 spe
Nature: Timid (+spe, -att)

-Leaf Storm/ Grass Knot
-Earth Power
-Hidden Power Fire/ Hidden Power Ice/ U-Turn
-Recover

This set tends to utilize Celebi’s 100 base Special Attack stat as it focuses on using coverage and speed in order to eliminate most of the Standard metagame. Leaf Storm is the primary option gaining STAB and doing as much damage as possible to the likes of Tyranitar and Gyarados. However, Grass Knot may also be a replacement if the Special Attack drop from Leaf Storm becomes an issue. Earth Power is needed to OHKO threats such as Lucario and Heatran, as well as opposing Magnezone. Hidden Power Fire is also a very valuable attack, but may be substituted by Hidden Power Ice or U-Turn for reasons previously stated. Recover is used to keep Celebi at reasonable health.

The EVs and nature allow Celebi to outspeed Jolly Lucario and OHKO most of Celebi’s likely encounters.
Life Orb may also be switched with Leftovers if you feel that the recoil is troubling you.

In addition, an EV spread of 244 hp/ 252 spatt/ 32 spe could be ran in order to maximize Celebi's Special Attack and further ensure OHKOs on many of Celebi's encounters.

Calm Mind Baton Passer:

Celebi@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp/ 80 def/ 176 spe
Nature: Timid (+spe, -att)

-Calm Mind
-Psychic/ Grass Knot
-Recover
-Baton Pass

With enough speed to outrun all non-scarf base 90s and neutral base 100s, Celebi is able to gain its boosts and pass them on quickly. Easily passing on Calm Minds, this set solely focuses on aiding the team. However, Celebi can also hold it’s own with Psychic or Grass Knot at its disposal. This is not recommended though, due to the poor coverage offered by both of them. Recover is used in order to keep Celebi healthy.

This set can easily find its home on any Baton Passing team due to its ability to bulk up the team's Special Defense and Attack stats.

Swords Dance Baton Passer:

Celebi@ Leftovers
EVs: 252 hp/ 80 def/ 176 spe
Nature: Jolly (+spe, -spatt)

-Swords Dance
-Seed Bomb/ Zen Headbutt
-Recover
-Baton Pass

As expected to only consist of special moves, this set has the chance to rise as an extreme surprise factor. Having a base 100 speed stat, Celebi becomes the fastest Swords Dance Passer in the game.

As you bring Celebi in on an opposition such as Gyarados or Suicune, you will almost always be given the free opportunity to set up. Once a counter is present, you Baton Pass to a sweeper, leaving you the perfect opportunity to demolish your opponent.

As for the receiver of this pass, Gyarados is most notable for its Intimidate ability which nerfs most of its incoming hits. Its water and flying typing also allows it to switch into most of Celebi's weaknesses such as a Scizor's U-Turn or Heatran's Fire Blast.

Other Options:

Perish Song is strongly recommended for the defensive variant in order to help phase out sweepers and to clinch 1 v 1 matchups. It is also encouraged to run U-Turn with Perish Song so that you are given an easy scouting motive and a free way out of the matchup.

A Calm Mind sweeper set is also possible, but is not recommended to the low coverage that Celebi’s moves offer. The same can be said for a Swords Dance Sweeper, but is once again, discouraged as a result of an even shallower physical move pool. In addition, Celebi can also hold any sort of Choice Item, most notably, Choice Scarf and Choice Specs really work well along with Celebi's movepool.

Counters:

Heatran usually walls and annihilates Celebi, but must be cautious not to switch into a Thunder Wave or an Earth Power. Usually Tyranitar and Scizor can either OHKO with a banded Crunch or U-Turn, but also carry Pursuit to cripple Celebi on the switch out.

Refresh Latias is among the top counters for the Green Onion, as it can shake off status and Calm Mind enough to take out Celebi with a boosted Dragon Pulse. Most dragons wall Celebi’s attacks but must think twice before having a safe switch in.

Opinion:

Celebi is one of the most versatile pokemonin the game, but is hindered by an ever growing Standard environment of Steel and Dragon pokemon. With constant plethora of Scizor roaming around, and the transition of Latias to OU, Celebi has had a hard time maintaining its place in the Standard metagame. However, it can still easily fulfill its role as one of the strongest Anti-Water pokemon in the game.

__________________________________________________ _______________________

this is also my first ever Revamp here, so some criticism is indeed necessary. Yeah, so tell me what is wrong, and tips.

Iconic
03-20-2010, 07:57 PM
hey bb, you did an awesome job for your first revamp so kudos to you. i have a few points/questions.

do the speed EVs in the defensive set take into account to 30 IV needed for HP fire?

another thing is you might want to expand on the descriptions to explain what the specific sets have problems with, and what teammates can help remedy this. for example the defensive set falls to pursuit users very easily like ttar, so swampert pairs well and has optimal synergy with celebi. especially the baton pass sets, you really want to explain who you should pass the boosts to.

another note, you should write atk, def, spa, spd, and spe with captials, but i can edit the grammar when you think you're fully done.

again excellent work!!

BlueBlur
03-20-2010, 07:59 PM
hey bb, you did an awesome job for your first revamp so kudos to you. i have a few points/questions.

do the speed EVs in the defensive set take into account to 30 IV needed for HP fire?

another thing is you might want to expand on the descriptions to explain what the specific sets have problems with, and what teammates can help remedy this. for example the defensive set falls to pursuit users very easily like ttar, so swampert pairs well and has optimal synergy with celebi. especially the baton pass sets, you really want to explain who you should pass the boosts to.

another note, you should write atk, def, spa, spd, and spe with captials, but i can edit the grammar when you think you're fully done.

again excellent work!!

You're right, I'll get onto the team details too after the Uber tour today, thanks for the help btw!

EDIT: I've finished the boosts part of the revamp. It turns out that the speed stays the same despite the IV drop when using HP Fire. I suppose it's all finished unless someone can spot any more notable mistakes.