PDA

View Full Version : Porygon 2 (recovered)

ekspo
05-17-2010, 10:48 AM
PORYGON2

http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/Zedenation/porygon2.png

Porygon2, one of the most versatile and unique Pokemon to hit the Competitive Battling scene. Decent Defense and Special Attack stats combined with a very interesting and wide movepool certainly make this Pokemon a threat even in the fierce Over Used tier.

Porygon2 can accomplish almost everything and anything. Porygon2 can execute it's Trace Ability much more succesfully than its Trace counter-part, Gardevoir. The main specialty of this plastic duck is its ability to counter dangerous Over Used threats such as Salamence, Gyarados and Heatran.

Set 1.

Counter Duck@ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
Ability: Trace
EV's: 228 HP / 136 Def / 92 SpA / 52 SpD

Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Ice Beam
Recover
Thunder Wave / Toxic / Magic Coat

Porygon2 still stands in this generation as one of the most effective counters for the games most powerhouse sweepers. Salamence, Gyarados, Dragonite, and Heatran are all countered by this little Duck. They all have a very hard time fighting this small duck and they will lose very miserabley.

With Trace by this brave ducks side, he can tackle all of these Over Used threats with ease. The reason behind its power to counter such sweepers is because Gyarados and Salamence will not enjoy having their attack lowered due to Intimidate being Traced back at them, while Heatran will not enjoy having his own Fire Blast resisted thanks to the Flash Fire Ability gained by Porygon2 through Trace.

Discharge OHKO's Gyarados after Stealth Rock damage. Although, Thunderbolt seems more reliable as it nabs Gyarados in one hit and provides you with more power. Additionally, Dragon Dance Salamence don't cause any problems to Porygon2 as he can survive a +1 Attack Life Orb Outrage and retaliate by using Ice Beam which will OHKO Salamence with ease.

The move in the last slot is up to personal preference and on how you want to cripple foes; whether you rely on Paralysis, Poison, or prediction to counter back any status ailment.

The HP EVs give optimal Leftovers recovery. The 92 SpA ensures better chance of an OHKO on Gyarados and Dugtrio; in addition to just Salamence, including the bulkier ones.

The SpD EVs are just to soften up non-STAB hits from Heatran, Jolteon and Vaporeon. You could move them into Defense if you feel the need, which will allow you to never be 2HKOed by Mence's Outrage, assuming you negate its Dragon Dance boost and it isn't holding Life Orb.

Set 2

Trick Room
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Quiet
EV's: 252 HP / 120 Def / 136 SpA
IV's: 0 Spe

Moveset:
Thunderbolt
Trick Room
Recover
Ice Beam

The strategy you should pursue is as follows: Use this Porygon2 varient on a team filled with slow bulky beasts (such as Tyranitar), take a hit, set up Trick Room, then with the massive Speed Boost, act accordingly to the situation and respond using your brain. Switch when Porygon2 is threatened to your slow Beast.

It is recommended that you do not sacrifice your Porygon2 early in the match as you might do with other Trick Roomers. The reason being is that Porygon2 is bulky enough to set up Trick Room a few times throughout the battle and with its ability to take out powerful threats such as Gyarados, you can certainly use him to help out in difficult situations.

Set 3.

Charge Duck

Porygon2
Item: Leftovers
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Hp / 120 Def / 136 SpA

Moveset:
Charge Beam
Tri Attack
Recover
Ice Beam

This set is focused mainly on Porygon2's natural bulkiness and access to the move Charge Beam. This set easily beats all Blisseys without Toxic or Calm Mind as Porygon2 can recover all damage dealt and can 2HKO with a +6 Tri Attack. Ice Beam in conjunction with Charge Beam gives you the dreaded "BoltBeam" combination which allows you to hit all the Pokemon in the game for Neutural damage, bar Magnezone and Shedinja (who avoids damage because of its Wonder Guard ability).

Set 4.

TrickDuck

Porygon2
Item: Choice Specs
Nature: Modest
EV's: 252 Hp / 120 Def / 136 SpA

Moveset:
Discharge
Trick
Recover
Ice Beam

Porygon2's SpA is by no means average, base 105 is actually quite potent. Choice Specs gives that Special Attack an added boost, making Porygon2 quite a devastating sweeper with that BoltBeam combination it uses so well. However, Porygon-Z is much better in the sweeping department. Although, with access to Trick and enough bulkiness to handle Recover, Porygon2 is certainly capable of doing damage with a set like this.

Once Choice Specs is Tricked to say a Blissey or a Snorlax, Porygon2 will accomplish something other than countering the games common threats. After receiving Snorlax or Blisseys Leftovers, Porygon2 is now just a normal duck doing its normal things, like killing Salamence and Gyarados.

Other Options:

Zap Cannon, although low accuracy and reliability can cripple on coming sweepers whilst hitting them with some decent damage. Psych Up can steal boosts from the likes of Suicune, and with your handy Electric attack you should come out on top. Shadow Ball and Dark Pulse can handle Gengar and Rotom more efficiently while a well executed Signal Beam can definately suprise kill Celebi and Psychic friends. A Recycle/Rest Combo may work in conjunction with a Chesto Berry, however Recover is much more reliable. HP Fire can handle steals and if you manage to get in on a Heatrans Fire Blast the boost actually makes HP Fire quite powerful.

Conversion2 used on a Choiced Itemed Pokemon can cause handy switches from the opponent, which allows more Stealth Rock damage plus gives you a free turn as Conversion2 can ultimately make you resist your opponents last move.

Sharpen isn't that useful outside of maybe beating Blissey and other random assorted Special Tanks 1v1.

Counters:

Porygon2 proves very tricky to counter as the little duck can hinder or cripple almost every Pokemon in the game with its large status inflicting movepool and powerful elemental attacks.

Porygon2 being Sturdy and with a conveniant access to Recover actually takes quite a lot of firepower to OHKO or even 2HKO, However, there still remains quite a few Pokemon that can come in on Porygon2 and completely shut it down. One being Hitmonlee most notabely, as it possess's the Ability Limber which makes it immune to Thunder Wave and with its decent Special Defense stat, Hitmonlee can take a few of Porygon2's elemental attacks with no problem.

Bulky sweepers such as Metagross and Tyranitar can come in on any of Porygon2's attacks as they don't mind being Thunder Waved, they can then hit back hard with Choice Band STAB attacks off their mammoth Attack stats.

Blissey completely walls Porygon2 and can do whatever she feels like towards the amazing duck

Dimes
05-17-2010, 09:01 PM
i didn't spend too much time reading this but i noticed that everything in other options was reworded from smogon.

Nolie
05-17-2010, 09:41 PM
I don't think Specs P2 really deserves a mention on your analysis. My logic is that since Porygon-Z is UU now you can't use it anywhere without it being outclassed. Just my two cents on it.

Tony32
05-17-2010, 10:38 PM
I don't think Specs P2 really deserves a mention on your analysis. My logic is that since Porygon-Z is UU now you can't use it anywhere without it being outclassed. Just my two cents on it.

P-Z is BL.

Nolie
05-18-2010, 12:30 AM
Never mind then

ekspo
05-18-2010, 06:09 AM
dimes, i made these a year an a half ago, i never used smogon maybe the other options look similiar because P2 hardly has other options... obviously its going to be similiar to smogon

Dimes
05-18-2010, 09:38 PM
I find that hard to believe when some parts in other analyses are copied word for word