PDA

View Full Version : Medicham (recovered)

ekspo
05-17-2010, 11:03 AM
http://i238.photobucket.com/albums/ff84/Zedenation/medicham.png

Medicham, often refered to as the "Glass Cannon" Pokemon thanks to its sky high Attack but lack of Speed and very fragile Defenses. Certainly he is a very potent threat to any team as he carries one of the game's most vicious offenses. But now, as the metagame is evolving and faster and bulkier Pokemon have been the preferred choice, Medicham has slumped in usage.

Set 1.

ScarfCham@ Choice Scarf
EV's: 252 Atk / 252 Spe / 4 Hp
Ability: Huge Power
Nature: Adamant

Moves:
High Jump Kick / Brick Break
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch

The most commonly run and most reliable set a Medicham can utilize. Medicham is a Pokemon with a phenominal Attack stat and a very mediocre Speed stat, however this all changes once equiped with a Choice Scarf. Once Choice Scarf is attached to Medicham it will have 480 Attack and 388 Speed, quite amazing isn't it?

Hi Jump Kick is the preferred STAB option as it has a very high Base Power and can sweep teams if they are unprepared. Psycho Cut for secondary STAB as it hurts all Ghosts who are otherwise immune to Fighting. Additionally, Medicham can outspeed and surprise kill any non-Scarfed Gengar (which is the majority of Gengar) just after they think they have the upper hand on you.

Thunder Punch and Ice Punch are self-explanatory as they have such a wide amount of type coverage. Plus, they enable Medicham to be able to hit every Pokemon in the game for at least neutral damage, bar Shedinja (who escapes because of its ability Wonder Guard), Lanturn and Magnezone (but the latter two are taken care of by a Scarf Hi Jump Kick).

Set 2.

BandCham@ Choice Band
Nature: Adamant

Moves:
Brick Break / High Jump Kick
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch
Thunder Punch

A very powerful set that is capable of damaging most of the metagame severely. I have outlined a few Damage Calculations just to show you how potent a sweeper this set is:

Hi Jump Kick on the following (from Adamant Medicham):

Bronzong (Max HP / Max Def): 63.02% - 74.56% (2HKO)
Jirachi (240 HP / 76 Def ): 69.08% - 81.55% (2HKO)
Swampert (240 HP / 216 Def): 65.34% - 77.06% (2HKO)

Ice Punch on the following (from Adamant Medicham):

Hippowdon (Max HP / Max Def): 50.48% - 59.52% (80% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers)
Celebi (Max HP / Max Def): 58.91% - 69.31% (2HKO)
Tangrowth (Max HP / 228 Def): 50.99% - 60.4% (87.51% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers)
Gliscor (252 HP / 40 Def): 122.03% - 144.63% (OHKO)

Thunder Punch on the following (from Adamant Medicham):

Skarmory (Max HP / Max Def): 56.29% - 66.47% (2HKO)
Suicune (Max HP / Max Def): 52.97% - 62.87% (99.41% chance to 2HKO with Leftovers)
Gyarados (156 HP / 100 Def) after Intimidate: 100% (OHKO)
Empoleon (252 HP / 160 Def): 72.04% - 84.95% (2HKO)

Psycho Cut on the following :

Dusknoir (Max HP / Max Def): 91.84% - 100.00% (46.15% chance to OHKO)

Adamant is run over Jolly since the Attack boost is always welcome, even though Medicham is already carrying a Choice Band. The rest of the moveset has been covered by the Choice Scarf variant in the set before this.

Set 3.

Another Standard Reversal Set.

Medicham @ Salac Berry
Nature: Jolly

Moves:
Reversal
Psycho Cut
Ice Punch / Thunder Punch
Endure / Substitute

Reversal from Medicham at full power can cause absolute mayhem throughout your opponent's party. Take away its awkward set up and how easy it is to stop, the power this set can unleash is incredible.

Choose wisely out of Sub or Endure (Endure may be more reliable) and get your Hp to below 1%. After that you will be firing off base 200 STAB attacks from 438 attack. Also you would have recieved the boost from Salac Berry increasing your speed to phenominal heights, giving Medicham a total of exactly 426 Speed.

Endure proves much more reliable because you can set up against Pokemon whos Speed is between 284 and 425 Spe, whereas Substitute cannot. Also Endure gets to the desired Hp even when strucken with Stealth Rocks or Spikes which would otherwise hinder the process drastically of the Substitute variant. The only plus side in fact of carrying Sub is that if you get to below 1% of maximum Hp with a Sub up, you can OHKO an opponent carrying a priority move who would otherwise stop the Endure set in it's tracks.

Jolly is required as you are seeking for as much speed as possible to outspeed everything you can, even opponents carrying Choice Scarf.

However this set has multiple problems such as Priority attacks, Hail and Sandstorm, once pulled off, the sweeping potential is limitless.

Other Options:

A Sub / Focus Punch set may be viable as anything that doesn't resist Fighting will most likely be OHKO'd, the set is quite unreliable however. Trick can be utilized as a way to cripple walls such as Cresselia who usually completely shut down Medicham. Trick a Choice Band over to Cress when it Calm Minds and then you can eventually wear it down with an array of Thunder/Ice Punches.
Rock Slide can be used over Thunder Punch as it still hits Flying types super effectively although doesn't give Electvire the ever so deadly Motor Drive boost. Fire Punch can hit Forretress and Scizor and finally Medicham is simply too fragile to pull off a Bulk Up based set.

Counters:

Cresselia is the most potent counter to Medicham in the game with its sky high defenses and resistances to both its STAB's. Medicham also has no Super Effective attack that he can lay on Cresselia, while Cress can 2HKO with two STAB psychics. Cress can also severely cripple Medichams attempt of a sweep with a well placed Thunder Wave.

Celebi takes the Choice versions if they are stuck on either his STAB attacks (watch out for a predicted ice punch) and can support its team with a free Heal Bell, Reflect or a Calm Mind to baton pass.

If the a Choiced Set Medicham is stuck on a move other than its key STAB fighting then it can come in and potentially OHKO him with Pursuit as the Medicham tries to flea.

The last major counter towards Medicham is Spiritomb as it is immune to Fighting and Psychic and can Shadow Sneak away for massive damage.

ekspo
05-17-2010, 01:42 PM
Yea well heres all my old analysis, obviously they need some beautifying haha but the works all there.

Michael Jackson
05-17-2010, 05:57 PM
very sexy, now do a raikou onehttp://cms7.blogia.com/blogs/d/di/dia/dialga/upload/20070902222530-raikou.jpg

Dimes
05-17-2010, 08:35 PM
This is basicly smogon's analysis. >_>

ekspo
05-18-2010, 06:11 AM
WOW omg dimes, im naming the most viable sets medicham can run... just because smogon have a scarf and a band medicham doesnt mean its theirs and noone can use it, its the most common medicham builds. And to be honest i dont really care, i jsut recovered these from like a year ago, they were on my computer and i was helping TU

Dimes
05-18-2010, 09:49 PM
Funny, because all of your sets are the same as smogon's.

if you want to really make them different though, you should talk about medicham's impact in NU, where it's used a hell of a lot more than medicham in OU

bobphillip
05-18-2010, 10:42 PM
Try a Bulk Up+Recover set, it works quite nicely with Brick Break and Ice Punch, or Ice Punch and Thunder Punch. Even Drain Punch for extra recovery.

ekspo
05-19-2010, 05:43 AM
lol i really dont care bout these, get them deleted, im going to start writing analysis's again so yea i dont have time to edit the ones i did a year ago