PDA

View Full Version : Auto Tournament Feature

Dragonknight
05-29-2010, 01:18 AM
So recently I had this idea, but since I have no experience with programming, I have no idea how hard this will be, and I personally don't know how to do this, but here goes:

A site feature that allows you to join tournaments with the click of a button, and allows you to record stats and such, and makes tournament managing much easier.

How I think it would work:
The tournament host opens a new tournament, and everybody with a forum account can just click an "in" button to join. By doing this, the forum account records that this person has joined this tournament. The tournament host determines the number of people he/she wants to join, and when the amount of people have been accumulated, matchups are automatically posted, and if this is a long term tournament, everybody that joined will recieve a pm telling them their opponent, the deadline, etc. If a live tournament, then the host will simply copy and paste the matchups. When matches are over, people click "I won" or "I lost", and their forum account records, for example, Rainbow tournament round 2 5/28/2010, and It goes on their record for everybody to see. Those in the tournament would also be able to post logs, if necessary, for the host to view.

I think this would be a neat feature, as it could possibly auto send points for wins, auto update dlt leaderboards, etc. I think this would help reduce clutter a lot, while saving a lot of trouble. Also, it'd be really cool to be able to click somebody's profile, and then see something like this:

Dragonknight
DLT 5/20/2010 Champion
DLT 5/21/2010 Round 2
DLT 5/22/2010 Round 1
DLT 5/23/2010 Round Robin Tie
currently in:
UV tournament round 1
Rainbow Tournament round 3
etc etc.

Again, there are details here and there I may have forgotten, but this is the overall gist of it. This is primarily for Stat, Numbuh, and possibly for any other hidden programmer that lurks our community..

Sephira
05-29-2010, 01:39 AM
yah i like this, might be a while if they did put it in

supertrunks8
05-29-2010, 04:57 AM
this sounds awesome, but amazingly hard...

and there would have to be a way to verify if you were lying or not on the "i won/lost" button if that's how we did it.

But yeah it'd be really cool if this happened, although I'm not getting my hopes up...

Statigar
05-29-2010, 01:30 PM
Yeh alright, im on it.

As for the lying thing - i'll just set some conditions so the score is updated only when both opponents post feedback.

If this were to work, it'd be set out like the gym leader panel on the site - so only official tournament leaders can start tournaments.

Lastly, it would kill the tournament section on the site, and new users won't need to post.

Latiosmaster
05-29-2010, 03:02 PM
I like it, although new users not needing to post will decrease the lurking and therefore less posts

Statigar
05-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I like it, although new users not needing to post will decrease the lurking and therefore less posts

yeh it's an amazing idea, and would increase the usefulness of the site and its member stuff..

.... But it will kill the forum D:

Edit: Think i might've found a way to connect the system together with the forums, so if a user uses the Tournament system, it creates a post, as if they did on the forums!

Dragonknight
05-29-2010, 04:02 PM
About lying:

This is the same thing as somebody that loses posting "I won". The loser will always have the option to click "I lost" or send in a log, if the host wants to read it. Also, the tournament host will always be able to change winners, for byes, mistakes, and such.

Dark Abyss
05-29-2010, 05:48 PM
I believe TU had a feature similar to this right? I may be wrong but I remember a Tournament or ladder system but it disappeared.

Yondie
05-29-2010, 09:14 PM
http://magikarpcafe.com/forum/tournaments.php? little late on that idea

Statigar
05-29-2010, 09:24 PM
http://magikarpcafe.com/forum/tournaments.php? little late on that idea

We had that feature, but it was utter crap, as all it did was sort tournament threads seperately to the forum.

What DKnight is on about, is a Statigar Home made script, that includes Tournament wins etc, that can be displayed on the site.

Dark Abyss
05-29-2010, 09:26 PM
Oh ok then I think DK's idea is pretty good.

cat
05-30-2010, 12:45 AM
umm for a tourny host it is very helpful to have a thread. why dont we have it so a tourny host/ forum mod has to verify it then it can be shown on the profile.

as for consequences to lying/exploiting loopholes, those who do could be temporarily banned from participating in tournys

Dragonknight
05-30-2010, 01:09 AM
Maybe a link in the tournament section, telling people about it

alfiabobby
06-02-2010, 06:34 AM
Yesssssssssss! Finally! Stars was the absolute worst site ever for add ons. No pop ups, no buttons on the table, you had to remember to click on the chip tray to do the add on. I am so glad that they added this feature, but as you said, it should be a selectable option the entire tournament.
Now if only every other poker site would implement auto add on!

IchooseU
06-02-2010, 06:44 AM
One forums i'm part of this has had this for a while. It's amazing.

When you make the tournament using the tournament feature it creates a thread in the tournament section.

Statigar
06-02-2010, 03:38 PM
One forums i'm part of this has had this for a while. It's amazing.

When you make the tournament using the tournament feature it creates a thread in the tournament section.

again.. TeamUber had that feature a long time ago - but no one liked it/ used it.
That feature won't have what Dragonknight officially wanted - and that's an auto recognition feature etc.

Yondie
06-03-2010, 12:11 AM
if you go the site it does display that.