Tyranitar @ Lum Berry
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP/252 Atk/4 SDef
Adamant nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Payback
- Focus Punch
- Fire Punch / Ice Punch / Stone Edge

The perfect offensive Sand Storm lead. This Tyranitar is meant to counter some of the most common leads out there. The idea is to set up a Substitute first, and then choose the appropriate attack. Suicide leads like Azelf get their sash broken by Sandstorm and are handily OHKO'd by Payback (it may even be best to use Payback first). Sleep-inducing leads like Roserade, Smeargle, and Breloom are rendered useless thanks to Lum Berry, while at the same time Sandstorm will break their Sashes. Meanwhile Tyranitar can put up a Substitute and KO with the appropriate move. The 252 EV's in HP provide Tyranitar considerable bulk.

Payback is preferred over crunch because Tyranitar will almost always be going second, giving Payback 150 base power (including STAB). Focus Punch is added because it provides perfect type coverage with Payback and also works great when Tyranitar is behind a Substitute, giving it another 150 base power attack. Fire Punch allows Tyranitar to hit Roserade, Metagross, Breloom, Forretress and Skarmory leads hard as well as the occasional Scizor, but Ice Punch is a viable option as is Stone Edge for another STAB move.

This lead has trouble with bulkier leads that can't be hit for super-effective damage such as Hippowdon and Swampert, who can easily take hits from Tyranitar. Therefore Shaymin, Roserade and Celebi with some investment in Special Attack are good partners for this set. Machamp or any faster pokemon with a fighting move is an instant switch-out. Slowbro is recommended if Machamp is a particular threat to your team.

In addition, this lead can be used on non-Sand Storm teams as well, but as always you must be wary of the constant chipping away of HP. Leftovers is recommended item for teammates if one is unsure.

Invalid
07-02-2010, 03:11 AM
just felt like replying to this, If you want him to go second more often why do you give him adamant, wouldn't it be better to give him brave. and in my experience w/ TTar if your up against scizor, you should just switch because your gonna get OHKO'ed by superpower. now that I look at your 252 HP maybe he will survive superpower, I figure if you did this analysis you have done damage calcs, could you let me know how He takes a superpower, and if you don't mind could you check up on bullet punch? I would do it myself but I still can't work the damage formula properly.

Dimes
07-02-2010, 06:40 PM
We already have a tyranitar analysis. >_>

JB
07-02-2010, 08:04 PM
We already have a tyranitar analysis. >_>

Yeah, even so, one moveset wouldn't be enough to make the analysis good anyways.

Dimes
07-02-2010, 09:15 PM
The analysis that we already had was good.

And that isn't Lead tar lol

legend.s
07-03-2010, 02:05 AM
@Invalid - its not really meant to counter scizor, I was just noting that it is a nice surprise for a Scizor switch in especially when you are behind a sub. I'm not even going to pretend to suggest that it survives a superpower. Even 252HP/252Def Bold TTar doesn't do that (128% minimum lol).

@Dimes - yea i know, but i'm just trying to contribute. the gym leader challenge requires a min 20 posts and i'd rather post these kinds of things than meaningless crap XD. and also this lead has worked out pretty well for me in the past. Frankly, the current leadttar on the dex is really *really* general. i mean there are literally 18 combinations (though that is including some pretty unviable and obviously not recommended movesets). so all I was aiming at was a straightforward (original) analysis of a lead tyranitar that would focus on taking out common Focus Sash leads - the most used leads.

@JB - i will try to elaborate (provide damage calcs and moves against popular leads) soon.

Kuja20
07-03-2010, 10:51 AM
This is not an analysis, this is just one set, and not a viable one at that (at least not as a lead). I have created an entire section for revamping analyses. This section should only be used for reference.