PDA

View Full Version : Jellicent Analysis

steel dragons
10-12-2010, 08:57 PM
http://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.png
Jellicent

Type: Ghost/Water

Abilities:
Water Absorb- "The Pokemon heals up to 1/4 of its maximum Hit Points when hit with Water-type moves." (from Serebii)
Cursed Body- "When a move makes physical contact with the Pokemon, that move has a 30% chance of being disabled." (from Serebii)
Damp (Dream World)- "Explosion and Selfdestruct will not work while the Pokemon is on the field." (from Serebii)

Base Stats:
HP: 100
Attack: 60
Defense: 70
Special Attack: 85
Special Defense: 105
Speed: 60

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/593.shtml

Overview

Jellicent brings some unique options to the table. In addition to being the only Water and Ghost typed Pokemon (besides its preevolution, Frillish), Jellicent has a total of eight resistances and immunities. These include resistances to Normal, Fire, Fighting, Water, Ice, Poison, Bug, and Steel typed moves. Jellicent is weak to four types: Electric, Grass, Ghost, and Dark. However, it can take some hits because of its good defensive stats. Jellicent gets moves like Recover, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Scald, and Pain Split to help its walling capabilities. Jellicent also gets the great ability Water Absorb, which helps when combating Water-typed Pokemon. Jellicent, Ferrothorn, and Zapdos form a trio that resists all 17 move types, which is impressive. Having a switch in to almost every attack is very helpful, and can determine whether you win or lose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth / Move Sets:

http://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.png
Floating Wall
Jellicent w/ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
Bold / Calm nature
EVs: 252 HP, 156 Def, 100 Spe

Scald / Surf
Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Shadow Ball / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Electric

Set Comments

Jellicent can perform well as a defensive Pokemon. It sports resistances to many common special attacks like Surf, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam, as well as some common physical moves like Close Combat and Bullet Punch. Scald is preferred for the first slot mainly because of its 30% burn chance, and with Toxic, those two moves can form a good double status combination. However, if more power is desired for the STAB move, then Surf can be used along with Will-O Wisp to have a more powerful STAB move and a more reliable burn-inducing move. Recover is necessary for the third slot, allowing Jellicent to preform its walling duties well. For the last slot, Shadow Ball is the preferred move because it is Jellicent's second strongest stab move. However, Ice Beam can be used instead to hit Pokemon like Garchomp, Gliscor, and Dragonite hard, while Hidden Power Electric can be used mainly to hit Gyarados.

Additional Comments

The listed EV spread, along with a Bold nature, is recommended for this set. It allows Jellicent to have decent bulk while having the ability to out-speed most defensive Pokemon, most notably 16 Speed Skarmory. However, there are additional EV spreads that can be used. A spread of 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe with a Bold nature will give great physical bulk, while a spread of 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Spe with a Calm nature will have good special bulk. You could also "mix and match" the natures and EVs for the bulkier spreads; for example, you could use a Bold nature with max specially defensive EVs. Leftovers should always be the held item, while Water Absorb should always be the ability.

Taunt + Will-o-Wisp - suggested by MikeDecIsHere
Jellicent w/ Leftovers
Bold / Calm nature

Surf / Shadow Ball
Taunt
Will-o-Wisp
Recover

Set Comments

With this particular set, Jellicent aims to shut down many popular walls and many slow Pokemon like Blissey, Skarmory, Forretress, and even most other Jellicents. However, this set's main purpose is to shut down Ferrothorn, one of Jellicent's top counters, by taunting and burning. Once taunted, most of these walls will be forced to switch out, allowing Jellicent to inflict status on the Pokemon switching in. Jellicent can take most attacks from walls and shut them down, and still be a good defensive Pokemon. Surf should be the main attacking choice, as it is Jellicent's most reliable move that hits for the most damage. Shadow Ball could also be used here, particularly to hit other water-typed Pokemon and other Jellicents for decent damage. Taunt is used in the second slot to shut down many walls. Will-o-Wisp is recommended for slot three to allow Jellicent to cripple many physical attackers, like Tyranitar and Machamp, and cripple some defensive Pokemon like Ferrothorn and Skarmory. Recover is absolutely necessary for the last slot, as it is Jellicent's best method of healing.

Additional Comments

For this set, Jellicent needs the speed EVs to effectively Taunt the slower walls, like Blissey and Skarmory. An alternate EV spread is 252 HP, 172 Def, 84 Spe, which allows Jellicent to out-speed almost all of the Pokemon that the other spread out-speeds, besides Skarmory with 16 speed EVs. Again, Leftovers should be used as the item and Water Absorb should be used as the ability.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Options

Trick Room - definitely could be a support option for Jellicent, since Jellicent is slow and decently bulky.
Choice Specs - could be used on Jellicent because of its decent special attack and defenses, as well as its good coverage moves. Other Pokemon utilize the Choice Specs better than Jellicent though.
Pain Split - Could be used as an alternate form of recovering lost HP, however Recover is better in most cases.
Hydro Pump - Could be used for a stronger water attack. However, Surf or Scald are generally preferred due to their reliability.
Energy Ball - Could be used to hit some specific targets, like Vaporeon, Swampert, and Gastrodon.
Psychic - Mainly used to hit fighting Pokemon, like Conkeldurr and Machamp, hard.

Teammates

Defensively, Ferrothorn and Zapdos make great teammates, as the trio of Ferrothorn, Zapdos, and Jellicent resist all 17 move types. Ferrothorn in particular makes a good teammate to Jellicent, since Ferrothorn resists all of Jellicent's weaknesses while Jellicent resists all of Ferrothorn's weaknesses. However, many of Jellicent's counters are Pokemon that can also do well against Ferrothorn. Offensively, Swords Dance Scizor makes a good partner to Jellicent. Scizor can fare well against most of Jellicent's counters, and they actually work together defensively as well, since they resist nearly all of each others' weaknesses. Infernape can also work well with Jellicent. Infernape does well against Ferrothorn, Tyranitar, and Breloom, and can deliver a solid hit against Conkeldurr. Starmie also works well with Jellicent, as Starmie can check many of Jellicent's checks and counters. However, be wary of the fact that Starmie and Jellicent share a lot of weaknesses with each other.

Counters

Ferrothorn can effectively counter the main Jellicent sets, as it resists Jellicent's STAB moves, and Leech Seed and Power Whip both do well against Jellicent. However, Ferrothorn will have a harder time with the Taunt + Will-o-Wisp set. Tyranitar, provided that it avoids a burn, can deal severe damage to Jellicent with Crunch. Tyranitar can also switch in on Jellicent's attacking moves; even Surf doesn't do much damage to Tyranitar. Conkeldurr makes a decent counter as well, especially since Conkeldurr doesn't mind being burned due to its Guts ability. Toxic Orb Breloom is a good counter, and can actually set up on Jellicent, since Jellicent can't cripple Breloom with its main status moves. Jellicent is a good defensive Pokemon, but repeated hits will bring it down. Some other good checks to Jellicent are Gengar, Hydreigon, Latios, and Thundurus.

Opinion

Jellicent is a very good defensive Pokemon. With access to moves like Recover and Will-o-Wisp, Jellicent will continue to be a good choice for most defensive-oriented teams. Its offensive stats may be lacking, but Jellicent gets some good coverage moves, like Scald, Shadow Ball, and Ice Beam, that make up for this shortcoming.

Credits

I give credit to Serebii for the move, stat, and other information concerning Jellicent. I also give credit to the page on Smogon concerning Jellicent also. I give credit to shaym.in.com for the images. I give credit to all of the helpful people on TU who helped me with this analysis.

From,
Steel Dragons

Dimes
10-13-2010, 12:19 AM
Nattorei, Bunungeru and Zapdos is one of the most formidable cores I've seen in all of BW, resisting every type and breaking an alarming number of threats.

steel dragons
10-18-2010, 04:55 PM
Ok, finished the Burungeru analysis for now.

If you have a better EV spread for this, please let me know, as I don't have time now to do many calculations or anything.

Also, the images aren't working. I'll have to see whats wrong with that sometime.

Seth Vilo
10-19-2010, 10:08 AM
Nattorei and this, as dimes said, is quite a good combo! The issue I've had with it is that I seem to be relying on this guy to do a lot of walling, and all the opponents I've seen have backup. For example, I switch my Nattorei out of an opposing Roobushin, switching in my Burungeru. Then I'm Paybacked into oblivion. Fighting/Ghost and Fighting/Dark get such good coverage (perfect with Fighting/Ghost), and that anything with that combo wrecks Natt/Buru. There really needs to be a "third party" to this. I've heard of some people using SubTran to awesome results. That leads to the super-special-awesome FWG core we're all whipped up about.

Overall, while he walls a great amount of threats, he may not be around anymore when you need him, having already been overwhelmed.

PSN_Eevee
10-19-2010, 11:23 AM
Evil Eye should be slashed in the last slot (or used as the primary option over Shadow Ball) due to it hitting harder if the opponent is statused. This is honestly really helpful, as you hit a ton of common switch ins (say, Breloom) harder with Evil Eye on the switch. Also lets you beat Suicune, which is pro.

Also, I'd mention the merits of a physically defensive set being able to take a payback from SubPunch Roobushin (iirc).

steel dragons
10-28-2010, 04:59 PM
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I'll add thm when I have some time.

Also, I added a link to a funny image on the OP. Be sure to look at it.

Lavityranitar
11-15-2010, 10:01 AM
I think Burugeru is the ultimate ghost type wall. If i predict correctly, this could end up in BL/OU, where it could face some tough walling competition. It will definatley pass Drifblim as the greatest ghost wall, though. It can use many status moves to its advantage, and Drifblim can only use Toxic and Will-O-Wisp.

PSN_Eevee
11-17-2010, 02:53 PM
Since when the hell is Driftblim the "greatest ghost wall" lol. Driftblim has terrible typing, no reliable recovery, and the high base HP isn't high enough to make up for really lacking defenses.

But yeah, even comparing the two is pointless, since frankly, Buruunguru is waaaaaay better.

steel dragons
11-17-2010, 03:26 PM
Yeah, Duskonir is better than Drifblim as a wall even. Burungeru outclasses Duskonir though because of the three immunities (including water), the good resistances, and the reliable recovery, more reliable than Duskonir even. (Recover is better than Pain Split)

Iris
11-20-2010, 12:37 AM
you want bold and near max defense. Max special defense really doesn't help it take what it needs to

Dimes
11-20-2010, 02:04 AM
especially when it's tyranitar weak.

Because stall is underwhelming, I doubt to see this in the top 20, if 25

Iris
11-20-2010, 03:32 AM
nah, stall is fine, just needs a few refinements. getting toxic spikes up as soon as possible is key since 5th gen has everyone grounded

PSN_Eevee
11-20-2010, 03:48 AM
Basically what Iris said; stall is incredible, and would be more so if PO didn't lag so much. D:

steel dragons
03-28-2011, 01:53 PM
Ok, I will finish this in the next few days. If anyone has any thoughts, particularly on a good EV spread, please tell me.

SilentDreams
03-28-2011, 02:05 PM
Here's the new format :)

This analysis is in the process of being edited. If you have any thoughts/suggestions, please put a message below.

http://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/593.png
Jellicent

Type: Ghost/Water

Abilities:
Water Absorb- The Pokemon heals up to 1/4 of its maximum Hit Points when hit with water-type moves.
Cursed Body- When a move makes physical contact with a Pokemon, that move has a 30% chance of getting disabled.
Damp (Dream World)- Explosion and Selfdestruct will not work while the Pokemon is on the field.

Base Stats:
HP: 100
Attack: 60
Defense: 85
Special Attack: 85
Special Defense: 105
Speed: 60

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/593.shtml

Overview

Well, Burungeru brings some unique options to the table. To start, if one looks at its stats, it can be used as a specially defensive wall. Burungeru has a total of eight resistances and immunities, including Normal, Fire, Fighting, Water, Ice, Poison, Bug, and Steel. Burungeru is weak to four types, including Electric, Grass, Ghost, and Dark. So, in other words, it isn't that bad off defensively. Burungeru also gets moves like Recover, Toxic, Will-o-Wisp, Boiling Water, and Pain Split to help its walling capabilities. Burungeru also has some good abilities, especially Water Absorb, that help it in walling. Also, Burungeru, Nattorei (Grass/Steel type), and Zapdos form a trio that resists all 17 types, which is impressive. Having a switch in to almost every attack is very helpful, and can decide if you win or lose.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth/Move Sets

Floating Wall
Burungeru w/ Leftovers
Calm nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Spe

Boiling Water/Surf
Toxic/Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Shadow Ball/Ice Beam/HP Electric

Set Comments

Well, as what was mentioned before, Burungeru can use a specially defensive wall set pretty well. It sports resistances to many common special attacks, like Surf, Flamethrower, and Ice Beam, as well as some common physical moves, like Close Combat and Bullet Punch. Boiling Water is preferred for the first slot because of its 30% burn chance, and with Toxic, those two moves can form a good, double status combination. However, if you desire move power for your main stab move, than you can use Surf along with Will-O Wisp to have a more powerful stab move as well as a more reliable burn attack. Recover is nessecary for this set, allowing Burungeru to preform its walling duties well. Shadow Ball is the preferred move here because of it being Burungeru's second strongest stab move, however Ice Beam and HP electric can be used to hit specific targets, targets that resist water moves.

Additional Comments

The EVs and nature are pretty self explanatory here, simply to provide the greatest special bulk possible. Leftovers is pretty much required also. If you have a better EV spread, please tell me!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Options

(List Other Options here)

Teammates

(Teammates)

Counters

(Counters)

Opinion

Credits
I give credit to Serebii for the move, stat, and other information concerning Burungeru. I also give credit to the page on Smogon concerning Burungeru also. I give credit to shaym.in.com for the images.

If any of you have any thoughts, suggestions, or comments, please SPEAK UP! I appreciate all, thought out, suggestions, and I will add your set to this page if I think that it is good enough.

From,
Steel Dragons

steel dragons
03-28-2011, 03:55 PM
Ok, I have added the main points so far, and I only have to add in the Counters, Possible teammates, and Other Options before this is finally finished.

Also, thanks for the edited version Silentdreams. Note though that I did have to re-word a lot of sections, so it may not be exactly the same as the edited part.

MikeDecIsHere
03-28-2011, 11:08 PM
You neglected to mention anything about Taunt + Will-O-Wisp's true purpose, which is to completely shut down Nattorei.

SilentDreams
03-29-2011, 01:56 AM
It's all good! I just wanted to give you a basic template to work off of so that you don't have to re-do the whole format. Also, I forgot to change the names of everything to the English name, so I can go back and do that or I can leave it up to you as you re-word.

steel dragons
03-29-2011, 01:22 PM
You neglected to mention anything about Taunt + Will-O-Wisp's true purpose, which is to completely shut down Nattorei.

I did mention something like that, in that it can shut down most defensive Pokemon. I will mention this though; thanks Mike.

steel dragons
04-12-2011, 02:42 PM
Ok, its time for this analysis to be QC checked, now that everything is finished. Again, I appreciate all suggestions for this analysis.

MikeDecIsHere
04-13-2011, 12:24 AM
In Depth / Move Sets:

Floating Wall
Jellicent w/ Leftovers
EV / Nature Spreads:
--Bold nature, 252 HP, 156 Def, 100 Spe EVs - enables Jellicent to outspeed most defensive Pokemon while retaining decent bulk.
--Bold nature, 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 Spe EVs - enables Jellicent to have maximum physical bulk.
--Calm nature, 252 HP, 252 SpD, 4 Spe EVs - enables Jellicent to have maximum special bulk.

Scald / Surf
Toxic / Will-O-Wisp
Recover
Shadow Ball / Ice Beam / Hidden Power Electric

This set looks ok, I would only list one EV spread as the main EV spread and move the lesser two into the Additional Comments section though. this way, you can explain the EVs a bit more.

Taunt + Will-o-Wisp - suggested by MikeDecIsHere
Jellicent w/ Leftovers
Bold / Calm nature

Scald / Surf
Taunt
Will-o-Wisp / Toxic
Recover

Toxic doesn't really need to be slashed in here, especially since the name of the set is "Taunt + Will-O-Wisp". Shadow Ball should be a, if not the first slash on this set for the first move slot, since you really don't need Scald if you have Will-O-Wisp. The status ailments are kind of redundant.

Comments in red.

steel dragons
04-13-2011, 03:00 PM
Thanks mike for your suggestions! I will change these shortly.

MikeDecIsHere
04-13-2011, 06:41 PM
Sets look good now:

QC (1/3)

steel dragons
05-03-2011, 04:39 PM
Bumping this for more QC approval...

Lovat
05-03-2011, 04:56 PM
QC 2/3

(Reserving the grammar check)

steel dragons
05-03-2011, 04:59 PM
Ok, thanks Lovat, anyone else?

EDIT: fixed the format

Kuja20
05-03-2011, 07:35 PM
QC 3/3

I approve this message.

http://i367.photobucket.com/albums/oo117/inaf_panic/rwj.jpg

steel dragons
05-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Ok, thanks Kuja.

now for grammar checking...

MikeDecIsHere
05-12-2011, 06:45 PM
reserving GE check. ill get this done when my finals are over.

SilentDreams
05-17-2011, 05:07 PM
reserving GE check. ill get this done when my finals are over.

Lovat already reserved it?

MikeDecIsHere
05-17-2011, 05:18 PM
whoops X.X ok

lester101
08-05-2011, 04:59 AM
maybe mention a acid armor set in other options?

SilentDreams
08-30-2011, 06:31 PM
Steel, I edited the grammar and format for this. Can you look it over and see if anything needs to be added/changed? Also, not sure if this is viable or not, but no comment was ever made on Lester's suggestion of an Acid Armor set.

steel dragons
08-30-2011, 09:25 PM
I don't think that Acid Armor is worth it for Jellicent. It is better off burning opponents (halving their physical attacking power) than using Acid Armor, which wears off when you switch.

Also, thanks for editing the analysis.