PDA

View Full Version : Bisharp/Kirikizan Analysis

steel dragons
10-25-2010, 04:24 PM
http://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/625.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/625.pnghttp://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/625.png

This Pokemon is Bisharp, the Sword Blade Pokemon. Some info:

Pokemon: Bisharp
Japanese name: Kirikizan
Type: Dark/Steel
Abilities: Competitive Spirit, Inner Focus, Pressure (Dream World)
Competitive Spirit: "As its stats are lowered, it's attack increases." (from Serebii)
Base Stat Total: 65 HP, 125 Atk, 100 Def, 60 SpA, 70 SpD, 70 Spe

Go to this page (http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/625.shtml) to find Bisharp's move information and other information.

Bisharp is an interesting Pokemon. Bisharp can be compared to Scizor, which has very similar stats, although Scizor has slightly better stats and a better defensive typing. Bisharp, though, has plenty of things going for it, even though it may be in Scizor's shadow. Bisharp still has decent defensive typing, only being weak to three types (Fire, Fighting, Ground), neutral to three types (Water, Electric, Bug) and resistant or immune to the other types (including Normal, Grass, Ice, Poison(immune), Flying, Psychic(immune), Rock, Ghost, Dark, Dragon, Steel). Its typing means that it can be a decent check to some threats, like some Psychic Pokemon, some Tyranitar, and others. Its typing also means that it really despises fighting moves, and that almost any Pokemon with a Fighting priority move(Mach Punch, Vacuum Wave) will be a check to Bisharp. Also, it gets access to a decent move combination in Dark/Fighting having stabbed dark moves, and this combination almost hits everything for neutral damage at best. Scizor, on the other hand while getting this move combination, doesn't get stab on either of these moves. Finally, Bisharp gets moves that make it a threat to be accounted for, and moves that set it apart from Scizor. Some of these moves are Swords Dance, Rock Polish, Thunder Wave, Taunt, Torment, Sucker Punch, Pursuit, Revenge, Metal Burst, and Stone Edge. Note that Sucker Punch and Revenge, while both egg moves, are legal together.

Now, for the possible sets:

http://shaym.in/media/bw-sprites/625.png
Sub + Swords Dance
Bisharp w/ Dread Plate
Ability: Competitive Spirit
Adamant nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 236 HP, 20 Spe
-Substitute
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Brick Break

The EVs are specialized to increase Bisharp's attack and HP stats as high as possible, yet adding in some speed EVs to outspeed some popular threats. 20 speed EVs will allow Bisharp to outspeed most Skarmorys, as well as Politoeds with little speed investment. It will also outspeed the Bisharps that just have max attack and HP EVs. For the other EVs, max attack is almost required for this kind of set, and the rest is put into HP. An Adamant nature is needed for this set for obvious reasons. Competitive Spirit is the required ability, as it raises Bisharp's Attack stat if any of Bisharp's stats are lowered. Thus, Competitive Spirit eliminates the effects of Intimidate, and getting attack boosts is always helpful.

Counters:
As Bologo had said, Roopushin, Gliscor, and Skarmory had given him the most problems. This makes sense, since all of those Pokemon have high defense and don't mind tanking some Sucker Punches. Also, as mentioned in the beginning, Bisharp really doesn't like Fighting Priority moves, so Pokemon like Breloom, Roopushin, and Infernape can easily end Bisharp's life, of course, if Bisharp isn't behind a Substitute. Most strong super-effective attacks in general will greatly damage Bisharp, however they all need to watch out for Sucker Punch. Some Pokemon can use set up moves while Bisharp uses Sucker Punch, however Bisharp can set up on the opponents if they keep using the set up move. The tricky part about this set is that it can feign a Choiced set, and surprise some opponents.

Swords Dance + 3 Attacks
Bisharp w/ Leftovers/Life Orb
Adamant nature
-Swords Dance
-Sucker Punch
-Brick Break
-Iron Head/Night Slash

Summary:
This Bisharp, while being similar to the first set, has three attacks to hit the opponent with instead of two attacks. The first two moves are fairly obvious; as Bisharp needs Swords Dance to boost its Attack stat, and Bisharp needs Sucker Punch to be a major threat. Brick Break is preferred for the third slot, and it allows Bisharp to hit nearly everything for neutral damage with the coverage of Brick Break and Sucker Punch. Iron Head is preferred for the final slot, because Bisharp can hit some slow Fighting types hard with Iron Head, and Iron Head is also one of Bisharp's strongest stab moves (which is quite sad, actually). Night Slash can also be used for the final slot. Night Slash provides Bisharp with a more consistent Dark Stab move, and it allows Bisharp to hit some Politoed hard, given that Bisharp may outspeed some Politoed.

The EVs and nature are the same as the first set. 20 speed EVs are needed to outspeed Politoed with no speed EVs and most Skarmory, 252 EVs are put into Attack to increase its power, and the rest of the EVs are put into HP. Competitive Spirit is used because any attack boost is helpful to Bisharp.

Counters:
Again, Fighting priority moves really doom Bisharp. Mach Punches from Condelkurr and Breloom, and Vacuum Waves from Lucario will easily spell Bisharp's demise. In general, strong enough super-effective moves, like Excadrill's Earthquake, Ninetales' Fire Blast, and Hippwodon's earthquake will also destroy Bisharp. Bisharp does have a decene physical defense stat, so try to prey on Bisharp's weaker special defense when taking it on. Physically defensive Pokemon, like Gliscor, Hippwodon, and Skarmory can usually beat Bisharp, simply because they don't take much damage from Bisharp's attacks. Sableye can switch into most of Bisharp's attacks and burn it with Will-o-wisp, making Bisharp close to useless for the remainder of the match. Also, Pokemon like Keldeo, Heatran, and Gyarados all can take an attack from Bisharp and beat it down with strong moves.

Choice Bander
Bisharp w/ Choice Band
Adamant nature
-Sucker Punch
-Brick Break/Revenge
-Pursuit/Payback/Night Slash
-Stone Edge/Iron Head

Summary:
Because of Bisharp's many resistances, and because of Bisahrp's access to Sucker Punch, Bisharp can make a good Choice Bander. The first slot should be Sucker Punch, no matter what. With Sucker Punch, Bisharp becomes a threat to offensive teams, especially since the opponent can get hit no matter what the Pokemon does. If the Pokemon stays in it can get met by a Sucker Punch, and if the Pokemon switches out, it can be met by a Pursuit. The next slot should be a Fighting move so that Bisharp can hit most Pokemon for at least neutral damage. Brick Break is preferred for the consistent power, but Revenge can be used also. Revenge is an option because of Bisharp's low speed; since Bisharp will usually be slower than the opponent, Revenge will have double the power, of course if Bisharp is hit by an attack. Pursuit is recommended for the third slot, so that Bisharp can trap some Pokemon and play mind games with the opponent. If a more consistent Dark move is preferred, Payback and Night Slash can be used, each having their own merits. Payback can have double power if Bisharp is hit first on that turn, and Night Slash is a more consistent Dark move in general. (also having a high critical hit ratio) For the last slot, Stone Edge is preferred, since then Bisharp can hit some targets like Zapdos and Gyarados for major damage. Iron Head can be used also, since it is Bisharp's most powerful, consistent Stab move.

Again, the EVs and nature and ability are the same, for the reasons stated in the last few sets.

Counters:
Well, this set has the same counters as the last few sets. Fighting priority moves like Mach Punch and Vacuum Wave easily doom Bisharp. Some common users of these moves include Pokemon like Conkeldurr, Breloom, and Lucario. Fighting Pokemon in general don't have much to fear from this set, usually resisting Sucker Punch and not taking much damage from its other moves. Physically bulky Pokemon, like Zapdos, Gyarados, Hippwodon, Skarmory, Gliscor, and Swampert can also switch into this set without much trouble. Also, prediction plays a part in beating this set. If Bisharp is locked into Sucker Punch, then a Pokemon like Gyarados can switch in and start boosting its stats, like Gyarados would do with Dragon Dance.

Other Options:
-Thunder Wave can be used to cripple some sweepers, but Bisharp usually doesn't have use for it on any movesets.
-A Rock Polish set can be made with Bisharp. It would probably be something along the lines of Bisharp having a Jolly nature and running max speed and attack. However, Rock Polish Bisharp is definitely outclassed by other Rock Polishers/Agility users, like Empoleon, Metagross, and Landlos.
-Metal Burst can be used, especially on a lead set with Focus Sash and Sucker Punch.
-Bisharp also gets Stealth Rock. which always can be helpful. However, Stealth Rock is illegal with Sucker Punch, so Stealth Rock is rarely seen on a Bisharp.
-Psycho Cut can hit those annoying Fighting Pokemon for super-effective damage, however Psycho Cut has very bad type coverage with Bisharp's other moves.
-Taunt and Torment can have some uses, but Bisharp is usually suited for other things besides supporting.

Credits:
I give credit to Serebii for the move, stat, and other information concerning Bisharp. I also give credit to the page on Smogon concerning Bisharp also. I give credit to shaym.in.com(?) for the images. I give credit for Bologo for the Sub + 3 Attacks set. I also give credit to PO for usage statistics. I give credit to DDWhiscash's speed tiers chart for determining a good EV spread for Bisharp.

If any of you have any thoughts, suggestions, or comments, please SPEAK UP! I appreciate all, thought out, suggestions, and I will add your set to this page if I think that it is good enough.

From,
Steel Dragons

Dimes
10-26-2010, 12:25 AM
Kirizikan is weak to three of the most common types I've seen in 5th gen. It's outsped by Shandera, beaten by Mach Punch users (Breloom, Roobushin), Doryuzuu, Kerudio, Birijion, Heatran, Gyarados and Victini. All are very common threats. In UU, Kirizikan struggles to be useful for a team, especially since Absol, Blaziken, Heracross and Drapion are around.

steel dragons
10-26-2010, 11:51 AM
True Dimes, you have a point. Zirizikan will probably become UU then. (I just don't see it becoming NU)

Dimes
10-26-2010, 09:46 PM
it will, but it really won't be used often compared to the other pokemon listed

DDwhiscash
11-22-2010, 07:37 PM
maybe it just needs the right team mate to be effective ... i can see the choice band set being a good hit and runner

Dimes
11-22-2010, 09:21 PM
No, even with something that has good type synergy, it's still outclassed by SD Lucario and CB Ononokusu

DDwhiscash
12-12-2010, 10:28 PM
Bump.

steel dragons
02-02-2011, 02:29 PM
Ok, I'm actually going to finish this in the near future. I added a set from Smogon that seems to be effective, and I deleted the Rock Polish set because it seems outclassed by other Pokemon that can do the same thing better.

If any of you have suggestions for Bisharp, please let me know. Thanks.

steel dragons
02-09-2011, 03:59 PM
Finally, I'm done with Bisharp! Please give suggestions if you have any.

DDwhiscash
02-09-2011, 04:08 PM
What about Trick Room. Bisharp seems like a staple for any UU Trick Room team

MikeDecIsHere
02-10-2011, 04:16 PM
Steel, the analysis itself is good, but there's one thing that I have to mention:

For almost all of your analyses, you neglect to include what teammates would be good for the Pokemon. This is a huge part of the analysis as it helps newer users with team building rather than just placing the Pokemon on the team and hope for the best.

Kirikizan (or Bisharp) has only three weaknesses: Fighting, Ground, and Water. Slowbro is a great teammate for Bisharp in UU, as Slowbro resists both Fighting and Fire (doesn't take too much from Earthquake anyway) while Bisharp resists ALL of Slowbro's weaknesses. Slowking is essentially in the same boat as Slowbro, but Slowking is better at taking special hits, which might not be so helpful to Bisharp. Bulky Ghosts types, like Desukan (Cofagrigus) also work fairly well with Bisharp, as Bisharp tends to lure a lot of fighting type attacks.

I don't know all of the best teammates, but I think that the point of my post remains clear.

DDwhiscash
02-10-2011, 04:55 PM
You'll also want something to take burns, since thats all I've had being fired at me when I was using Bisharp.

steel dragons
02-10-2011, 05:08 PM
Ok, I will edit this analysis probably in the next few days.

I'm eventually going to edit all for my analyses so far and include the teammates for each Pokemon, as I haven't really done that for them.

lapras6666
02-15-2011, 05:02 PM
Iron Head? Really? To hit those pesky rock and ice types that you can already hit with brick break? NO. Change it into Stone Edge right now.

PKMNbattleSchemes
10-22-2011, 12:45 PM
Iron head is probably there for STAB and flinch hax. and brick break only has a 75 base attack
oh and he does exceptionally well with a choice band on a trick room team. you can also run the swords dance route as well