10-28-2010, 08:55 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5b/Spr_5b_640.png

Birijion/ Virizion
Type: Grass/Fighting
Ability: Righteous Heart
Base Stats: 91/90/72/90/129/108

Birjion's Movepool can be found here:

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/640.shtml

Average offense stats, average Hit Points, lower defense but a relatively high Speed and Special Defense is all that many people see in Birijion, however a keen mind may point out that Birijion is able to counter a variety of threats, notably Tyranitar, Bounce-less Gyarados, Doryuzuu and Landlos. Three of these Pokemon listed are very common on Sandstorm teams while Gyarados is a major threat in today's game. This, it's 108 base speed and it's options for boosting both Physical and Special (if you choose to use Calm Mind, you can boost it's Special Defense too) stats. While Breloom is the preferred option for Offense, don't let that giant shroom overshadow this magnificent Pokemon.

However, Birijion still has its faults. Notably, Choice Scarf Shanderaa can easily switch in on anything bar Stone Edge and OHKO with Overheat. Skamory also laughs at the little Deer as it easily walls every attack thrown at it and hits back with STAB Brave Bird. Roopushin also 2HKOs most sets of Birijion with Mach Punch.

Swords Dance:

Birijion:@ Life Orb
252 att, 252 speed, 6 spdef
Jolly nature
-Swords Dance
-Close Combat
-Leaf Blade
-Stone Edge

When it comes to Sword Dancing, Birijion has few reasons to be used over Terakion or Kobarion. However, what makes Birijion different is that it has a Grass Type STAB in Leaf Blade, meaning that it can easily KO Bulky Waters while not being beaten by Scizor. Because of this, Birijion is a better counter or check to Swampert, Suicune and Starmie, all of which are still common in Black and White's metagame. Close Combat is still that awesome 120 base stab move that hits most of the game for neutral, making Birijion a huge threat. Stone Edge compliments Close Combat for coverage and makes sure that you aren't set up on by Gyarados. If you are looking for a teammate for Birijion, Starmie fits the bill, beating most of Birijion's counters, such as Skarmory.

Calm Mind:

Birijion:@ Leftovers
252 Spatt, 252 spd, 6 spdef
Timid Nature
-Calm Mind
-Giga Drain
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice/ Hidden Power Fire

This is the set to turn to if you want to take on most of the threats in the game. Pokemon such as Rotom-W, Gliscor, Tyranitar, Excadrill, Dragonite, and Ferrothorn. Birijion's awesome Grass/Ice/Fighting coverage allows it to hit everything save Rotom-H and Chandelure. Focus Blast, though shaky in accuracy, is easily Birijion's strongest attack, plowing through virtually any sweeper even without a boost. Giga Drain is useful for beating common Water types, such as Vaporeon, Rotom-W, and Jellicent. Hidden Power Ice is great for taking care of Landorus, Gliscor, Salamence, and Garchomp.

Attacker:

Birijion:@ Life Orb
252 Spatt, 252 Spd, 6 Spdef
Timid Nature
-Focus Blast
-Hidden Power Ice/ Fire
-Energy Ball/Grass Knot
-Close Combat/Substitute

While 90 in both attacking stats is considered a little bit mediocre for OU standards, Birijion boasts unique coverage that can help clean up later in the game. While this set does have quite a few slashes, they all help Birijion with the task that you want it to complete. For most Pokemon, Focus Blast is enough to dent them or pick off weakened foes. Your first choice will be between Hidden Power Fire or Ice. Fire means that Scizor won't cause problems, but Ice is the preferred for beating down Dragonite and friends. Energy Ball may be used over Grass Knot to beat Vaporeon and Burunkeru, but Grass Knot is better for dealing with Suicune and Milotic. You're final choice will be either Close Combat or Substitute. Close Combat will still 2HKO Blissey, meaning that you won't be walled, but because Birijion can cause some big switches, Substitute can be used to help get another hit in.

http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/5/5b/Spr_5b_640.png Defensive

Birijion @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
-Reflect
-Leaf Blade
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat

I had highly offensive moves to act as a counter as well as a supporter - Holy Sword, for instance, off his low uninvested Attack stat might not have killed off a Doryuuzu. Stone Edge is for ugly things like Gyarados and Zapdos, while Leaf Blade is the best STAB move (thanks to Def/SpD drops from CC) and hurts Waters.

I forget what the EV's are for, but they hit some number - I think it's to outspeed either Garchomp or base 100's, but I'm not sure...

Thanks a ton to Seth Vilo for this set. Now we have one of the greatest counters to Doryuzuu and Gyarados!

Other Options:

Birijion's 108 base speed and bulk makes it a great Pokemon to run Dual Screens, as opposed to Pokemon such as Azelf. Taunt is also a useful move that Birijion could employ to take care of pesky Phazers that try to stop a sweep. Also, Roar can be used if you want Birijion to do some of its own Phazing, being able to take on Jolteon and Rotom-W.

steel dragons
10-28-2010, 10:15 PM
Isn't it Heart of Justice, instead of righteous heart?

I'm looking forward to this Dimes. The swords dance set in particular looks good to me.

Dimes
10-28-2010, 10:19 PM
There are different translations. Righteous Heart seems to be the most accurate one, as Heart of Justice doesn't fit properly on the ability display on the Pokemon's status.

Seth Vilo
11-02-2010, 03:32 AM
I haven't tested this idea, but is there a physically defensive set for this guy? I would think he'd be a great Doryuuzu counter, resisting the two moves he uses, and being able to fire back with his Fighting move of choice - Close Combat or Holy Sword - regardless of whether or not Dory has a Balloon. Just a thought, and I say again I haven't tested it, so have no idea how well it would work...

Dimes
11-19-2010, 12:06 AM
done most of it now, anyone want to comment on the pokemon?

Tastelesshat
11-19-2010, 01:40 AM
The SD set can be a ***** sometimes, but other then that I don't really think much of it.

steel dragons
11-19-2010, 01:47 PM
How much does it take from Starmie's Ice beam? If Ice beam only 3HKOs or something like that, the swords dance set could actually set up on Starmie.

Also, small nitpick, but on the calm minder set, grass/fire/fighting DOES hit Rotom-H for neutral damage. (via focus blast, since Rotom-H isn't a ghost type)

Also, like Seth said, isn't a physically defensive set viable, or not? It can check some major threats, like gyarados and doryuuzu.

Seth Vilo
11-19-2010, 09:28 PM
After paying around with a Defensive, I can say it's pretty effective overall. I only played with it for a while, since I wanted to move on to bigger better things (somebody'll probably quote that...), and it did well.

Here's what I used:

Birijion @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe
-Reflect
-Leaf Blade
-Stone Edge
-Close Combat

I had highly offensive moves to act as a counter as well as a supporter - Holy Sword, for instance, off his low uninvested Attack stat might not have killed off a Doryuuzu. Stone Edge is for ugly things like Gyarados and Zapdos, while Leaf Blade is the best STAB move (thanks to Def/SpD drops from CC) and hurts Waters.

I forget what the EV's are for, but they hit some number - I think it's to outspeed either Garchomp or base 100's, but I'm not sure...

Dimes
11-20-2010, 02:14 AM
I am working on a Physically Defensive set, but I'm still toying with the evs.

Dimes
12-01-2010, 09:34 PM
yeah so pretty much done here. I'd like more comments though

DDwhiscash
12-01-2010, 10:10 PM
>.> what did Doryuuzu ever do to you guys LEAVE MY 4'7" MOLE ALONE

steel dragons
12-02-2010, 02:40 PM
Ok then, shall we ignore one of the most powerful threats in the 5th generation then?

I think not.

jimbowitz
04-05-2011, 12:47 AM
For the calm mind set giga drain should be considered for the grass move because its almost as powerful and adds to its survivability.

PSN_Eevee
04-05-2011, 12:59 AM
Giga Drain should be the main STAB move on all the special or mixed sets that use a specially based grass move.

What does HP Rock hit that HP Ice doesn't hit harder? And don't bother saying Shandera, people only use Shandy on sun teams outside of DreamWorld. Also don't mention Kerudio; it's not released yet, and aside from being a unicorn it sort of sucks cause it doesn't get ice beam.

SilentDreams
04-05-2011, 03:24 AM
New format :) Changed the ability to Justified. Switched to English name.

Virizion

Type: Grass/Fighting

Ability:
Justified- Attack is raised by one stage when the Pokemon is hit by a Dark-type move.

Base Stats:
HP: 91
Attack: 90
Defense: 72
Special Attack: 90
Special Defense: 129
Speed: 108

http://serebii.net/pokedex-bw/640.shtml

Overview

Average offense stats, average Hit Points, lower defense but a relatively high Speed and Special Defense is all that many people see in Virizion, however a keen mind may point out that Virizion is able to counter a variety of threats, notably Tyranitar, Bounce-less Gyarados, Doryuzuu and Landlos. Three of these Pokemon listed are very common on Sandstorm teams while Gyarados is a major threat in today's game. This, it's 108 base speed and it's options for boosting both Physical and Special (if you choose to use Calm Mind, you can boost it's Special Defense too) stats. While Breloom is the preferred option for Offense, don't let that giant shroom overshadow this magnificent Pokemon.

However, Virizion still has its faults. Notably, Choice Scarf Shanderaa can easily switch in on anything bar Stone Edge and OHKO with Overheat. Skamory also laughs at the little Deer as it easily walls every attack thrown at it and hits back with STAB Brave Bird. Roopushin also 2HKOs most sets of Virizion with Mach Punch.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth/Move Sets

Swords Dance
Virizion:@ Life Orb
Jolly nature
EVs: 252 att, 252 speed, 6 spdef

Swords Dance
Close Combat
Leaf Blade
Stone Edge

Set Comments

When it comes to Sword Dancing, Virizion has few reasons to be used over Terakion or Kobarion. However, what makes Virizion different is that it has a Grass Type STAB in Leaf Blade, meaning that it can easily KO Bulky Waters while not being beaten by Scizor. Because of this, Virizion is a better counter or check to Swampert, Suicune and Starmie, all of which are still common in Black and White's metagame. Close Combat is still that awesome 120 base stab move that hits most of the game for neutral, making Virizion a huge threat. Stone Edge compliments Close Combat for coverage and makes sure that you aren't set up on by Gyarados. If you are looking for a teammate for Birijion, Starmie fits the bill, beating most of Virizion's counters, such as Skarmory.

Calm Mind
Birijion:@ Leftovers
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Spatt, 252 spd, 6 spdef

Calm Mind
Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Focus Blast
Hidden Power Fire/Hidden Power Rock

Set Comments

Everyone expects Kerudio nowadays, with its 129 Special Attack and 90 Special Defence, but not many think of Virizion, his inverted counterpart with better coverage. This is the set to turn to if you want lots of bulk. Virizion's awesome Grass/Fire/Fighting coverage allows it to hit everything save Rotom-H and Shanderaa. Focus Blast, though shakey in accuracy, is easily Virizion's strongest attack, plowing through virtually any sweeper even without a boost An interesting debate is being brought up and that is whether to use Hidden Power Rock or Fire. Hidden Power Fire, though able to hit Scizor, Celebi and Breloom, doesn't hurt Shanduraa or Rotom-H.

Attacker
Virizion:@ Life Orb
Timid Nature
EVs: 252 Spatt, 252 Spd, 6 Spdef

Focus Blast
Hidden Power Ice/ Fire
Energy Ball/Grass Knot
Close Combat/Substitute

Set Comments

While 90 in both attacking stats is considered a little bit mediocre for OU standards, Virizion boasts unique coverage that can help clean up later in the game. While this set does have quite a few slashes, they all help Virizion with the task that you want it to complete. For most Pokemon, Focus Blast is enough to dent them or pick off weakened foes. Your first choice will be between Hidden Power Fire or Ice. Fire means that Scizor won't cause problems, but Ice is the preferred for beating down Dragonite and friends. Energy Ball may be used over Grass Knot to beat Vaporeon and Burunkeru, but Grass Knot is better for dealing with Suicune and Milotic. You're final choice will be either Close Combat or Substitute. Close Combat will still 2HKO Blissey, meaning that you won't be walled, but because Virizion can cause some big switches, Substitute can be used to help get another hit in.

Defensive ~ Seth Vilo
Birijion @ Leftovers
Jolly (+Spe, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 44 Def / 212 Spe

Reflect
Leaf Blade
Stone Edge
Close Combat

Set Comments

(Comments)
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Options

Dual Screens- Virizion's 108 base speed and bulk makes it a great Pokemon to run Dual Screens, as opposed to Pokemon such as Azelf.
Taunt- Also a useful move that Virizion could employ to take care of pesky Phazers that try to stop a sweep.
Roar- Can be used if you want Birijion to do some of its own Phazing, being able to take on Jolteon and Rotom-W.

Teammates

(Teammates)

Counters

(Counters)

Opinion

(Opinion)