11-24-2010, 03:32 AM
http://www.arkeis.com/images/animations/561.gif

Sigilyph Analysis

Introduction
Sigilyph
Psychic / Flying
Abilities: Miracle Skin - 50% Chance of moves that inflict status failing
: Magic Guard - Pokemon with this ability only take damage from direct attacking moves
Dream World Ability (Unconfirmed): Tinted Lens - Not very effective moves have there Base Power doubled.
HP : 72
Attack : 58
Defense: 80
Special Attack: 103
Special Defense: 80
Speed: 97

Overview

Sigilyph is most notably one of the best non-Uber Psychic Flying Pokemon in the game. It's fairly bulky and is also a decent Special Attacker. Sigilyph also has something every Flying type Pokemon wants, immunity to Stealth Rock. That being said, if Sigilyph were to be used as a revenge killer or a Status Absorber. It could switch in as many times as it wanted even with Stealth Rock in play. Sigilyph also has a nitch in OU. Since the tier is plagued with Fighting types. Sigilyph's 4x resistance to their STAB moves may come in handy and it's STAB moves help you finish of the job.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth Move Sets

Double Status
Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 252 HP/ 252 Def/ 4 Spe
Nature: Bold
- Psycho Shift
- Thunder Wave
- Air Slash
- Roost / Whirlwind

Does anyone remember this set? Anyone? Creselia..Xatu... anyone? For those of you who don't this is the Double Status set. It's primary focus is to stop sweepers by inducing a status move to cripple them. Having problems with a Feraligatr or Donphan? Psycho Shift allows you to pass the burn that you have obtained thanks to the Flame Orb and half there Attack Stat, thus halting them by making there attacks weaker. Annoyed by Speed demons such as Mienshao ? Feel free to paralyze them via Thunder Wave. Air Slash is your STAB move of choice, as it allows you to hit Pokemon such as Gallade, Escavalier and Executor for more damage. Another reason why Air Slash is the STAB move of choice, is because it can also dish out nasty "Paraflinch hax" when used with Thunder Wave. The final move slot depends on what you want to do with Sigilyph. Roost is the primary option as it allows Sigilyph to stay around longer and not depend on another Pokemon passing wishes to it. If you are content about using a Wish-passer and feel as though you need some phasing to be done, Whirlwind is viable. Due to the fact that it can also help you plague your opponent's team with more status. If Whirlwind is chosen in this moveslot, having entry hazards up may also come in handy since it will help Sigilyph wear down it's victims. The EVs are set to give Sigilyph maximum Physical bulk so it can continue wear down Physical Sweepers after burning them while the last 4 EVs are put into Speed. Magic Guard is one of the main selling points for this set, as with it Sigilyph is immune to burn's HP draining effects.

Choice Specs
Sigilyph @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 58 HP/ 252 Sp.Atk/200 Spe
Nature: Timd/Modest
- Psychic/Air Slash
- Hidden Power [Fighting]/[Fire]
- Shadow Ball/Energy Ball
- Ice Beam

Sigilyph's immunity to entry hazards, decent speed and more than usable Special Attack stat makes it an ideal candidate for some Choice Specs abuse. Psychic is your primary move of choice. As it helps get rid of any the annoying Fighting types that plague the Black and White meta-game. Air Slash can be used over Psychic to damage Viziron and other Grass types at the same time. Hidden Power is used to hit Bisharp who can wall all your moves, but what Hidden Power you choose will determine what other Pokemon you can hit with it. Hidden Power Fighting allows you to hit Rhyperior, Terrakion, Ambipom, Honchkrow, Umbreon, Empoleon and Aggron for Super Effective damage. While Hidden Power Fire allows you to hit Bugs (most importantly Galvantula), Bug/Steels, Bronzong, Virizion and Celebie for Super Effective damage. It also gives you an extra kick against Abomasnow. Shadow Ball is set in the next move slot as a move to hit other Psychic types, and also does damage to Dusknoir and Cofagrigus. If these Pokemon are not problematic, you can switch Shadow Ball to Energy Ball which allows you to damage Bulky Waters and keep coverage over Golurk, Donphan, Azumaril and Quagsire. In the final slot Ice Beam rests safely as it gives you another option to strike Ground, Grass and Flying types that you may encounter along the way. 200 Speed EVs allows Sigilyph out speed base 90s. Max Special Attack EV investment as to allow Sigilyph to hit as hard as possible and the remaining EVs are put into it's HP to ad a slight amount of survivability. Modest 4 HP, 252 Sp. Atk, 252 Spe spreads are also usable if you want a bit more firepower.

Pseudo Booster
Sigilyph @ Life Orb/Leftovers
EVs: 16 HP/252 Sp.Atk/240 Spe
Nature: Timid
- Calm Mind
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball/Roost
- Hidden Power Fighting

Sigilyph already has a usable Special Attack. Another thing that Sigilyph has, is access to Calm Mind. Sigilyph can boost it's already decent Special Attack of 305 to a beyond usable 457. Psychic is chosen in the first slot again keeping Fighting types and Roserade at bay and is also good STAB to have around. Shadow Ball is chosen in the second slot to ward off opposing Psychic types such as Celebie and Victini. Roost is also viable in this slot if you feel as though Sigilyph needs HP recovery. In the final slot, Hidden Power Fighting is the move of choice, as it gives Sigilyph perfect type coverage along side Shadow Ball and Psychic. The EVs are once again set with 240 in speed to out-speed base 90s. Max Special Attack to allow Sigilyph to hit as hard as possible after one CM, and the last 16 is put into HP.

Pseudo Screens
Sigilyph @ Light Clay/Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP/ 16 Def/ 240 Spe
- Reflect
- Light Screen
- Air Slash
- Roost

Sigilyph's decent Speed stat and access to Reflect and Light screen make it the perfect candidate for Dual Screen abuse. Once again 240 Speed EVs to outrun base 90s. Max HP to give Sigilyph decent bulk to do it's job with and seeing as the meta game is physically based, the last 16 EVs are put into defense. Reflect and Light Screen boost the team's defenses and can help a frail sweeper to set up. They can also help Sigilyph combat Fighting types when used with Air Slash. Speaking of Air Slash, it is only move Sigilyph can use to avoid becoming Taunt bait against Dark types, most notably Bisharp. Roost is set in the last slot as Sigilyph's HP recovery move.

Cosmic Nuisance
Sigilyph @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Gaurd
EVs: 252 HP/ 16 Sp.Atk/ 240 Spe
- Cosmic Power
- Roost
- Air Slash
- Thunder wave / Hidden Power Fighting

(Set Coming Soon!)

Other Options

Protect - Can help it scout moves.
Toxic - Can be used on Defensive sets, but thanks to Bisharp it can be rendered useless
Hidden Power [Ground] can be used to hit all non-levitating Steels.
Stored Power - Can be used on all Sets that boost there Stats.
Miracle Eye - An interesting move to say the least. It allows Sigilyph to hit Dark types with Psychic type moves.
Hypnosis - Can be used to put opposing Pokemon to sleep, but can be a set up fodder thanks to it's accuracy.
Tail Wind - Can be used to increase Sigilyph's respectable speed stat as well as raise that of the team's
Charge Beam - Can be used over Calm Mind if you want to do a bit of damaging while setting up.
Substitute - In conjunction with Roost Air Slash and Tail Wind/Thunder Wave can make for an annoying flincher set, but is generally just a gimmick.
Trick Room - Is viable but since Sigilyph has such a high speed (by Trick Room standards) it is outclassed.

Team Mates
(Coming Soon)

Counters and Checks
In UU, the best check for Sigilyph is Bisharp. The any Sigilyph that doesn't carry Hidden Power runs the risk of being walled by Bisharp. Bisharp resist Flying type moves and is Immune to Psychic type moves rendering Sigilyph's STAB moves useless. Defensive sets also hate being Taunted. Drapion can come in on a predicted Psychic move and Pursuit it away. Bronzong is also an effective Sigilyph check, but must be weary of Hidden Power Fire (Torrential Zong can Wall Sigilyph for days on end). Pursuit in general is your best move against Sigilyph. Taunting defensive sets can also render it somewhat useless.

DDwhiscash
11-24-2010, 03:57 AM
I'm still not 100% sure what exactly miracle skin does but I'll look it up and put that in after I've figured it out. Serebii didnt explain sh**.

steel dragons
11-26-2010, 03:40 AM
Trick Room anyone?

Seriously, because of magic guard + focus sash, Shinpora can almost always pull off trick room. It should be considered in its own support set.

Also, Roost should definitely be an option on the calm mind set, as psychic/fighting moves have decent coverage together.

Small nitpick, but could you put some spaces between the movesets? It would make it easier to read, thats all.

Other than those things, you did a good job on this analysis. Keep up the good work, and I hope to see more analyses from you. I'll add you on the list in a few days when I have time, the list of analyses I mean.

DDwhiscash
11-26-2010, 05:44 AM
done aaaaand working on it

PSN_Eevee
11-28-2010, 06:45 AM
Sorry, I promised I'd look this analysis over, and I can't believe that I forgot to. >_<

Anyways, basically all of the sets look pretty good, though I would suggest perhaps balancing out the defenses, or investing in a fair bit more physical bulk, especially on the first set, seeing as the sole merit of running max speed is to tie with Ononokuso, who you can't really do much to anyways. Honestly, just max defense and HP could work fine.

Anyways, some thoughts on the individual sets.

Ok, on the first set, like I said, max HP and probably defense are the way to go, unless ononokuso is a huge concern. In addition, you could also run enough speed to outspeed Adamant Lucario, but that's not to worthwhile, seeing as most are running Nasty Plot sets now. Still, should probably be mentioned. Continuing, Toxic isn't really worthwhile to mention, as frankly, this thing doesn't really lure in bulky waters and grounds, the main reason to use Toxic. In addition, Hypnosis's shaky accuracy makes it a rather bad choice, so I personally would say that (Thunder Wave / Whirlwind) / Psycho Shift / Air Slash / Roost would be the best available set.

The specs set really wants to be running Psycho Shock to get past Chansey / Blissey, imo. Other than that, it looks fine, I guess, though I should probably note that Ice Beam should really be the primary option for slot four (or the only option) for hitting Landlos and Doryuuzu switch ins, as well as dragons (Ononokuso most importantly, since you speed tie with him, but also MixMence who don't run enough to outspeed you).

Anyways, sorry to have left it so long before commenting on this, and I'l finish up my thoughts on this in the morning; getting kinda late now.

But very well written!

steel dragons
11-29-2010, 04:31 PM
OK, my thoughts:

Shinpora has that base 97 speed. If Shinpora becomes UU, than it probably would want to outspeed base the numerous base 95 pokemon, since Shinpora really doesn't speed tie important things. In that case, it would run a timid nature with 240 speed EVs. This would put Shinpora two speed points above the max speed of base 95 pokemon (since you can't go only one above that). To outspeed the numerous base 90 speed pokemon, a timid nature with 204 speed EVs should be used to go two speed points over the max speed of base 90 pokemon. With a non speed boosting nature (like Modest), Shinpora gets 293 base speed, failing to outspeed max speed base 85 pokemon. To outspeed base 80 pokemon, Shinpora either needs a timid nature with 120 speed EVs or a non speed boosting nature with 220 speed EVs.

Because of these calculations, I think that the EVs of some of the sets should be adjusted, of course adjusted to that sets needs.

For the specs set, I think that Energy Ball deserves a mention, because then Shinpora can hit some bulky waters like Swampert and Vaporeon for decent damage.

For the Calm Mind set, I think that Assist Power is too unreliable to deserve a mention. I'm not exactly sure of how much power it gets after some boosts, but if Shinpora needs to attack the opponent right away, Assist power isn't going to work. Also, with Assist Power, Blissey walls the set all day long. Also, I think that Calm mind, Psycho Shock, Energy Ball, and HP Fire could work on that set also. Those moves get good coverage together. Again, if just two attacking moves are used for the calm mind set, Psycho Shock + HP Fighting is the way to go. Lastly, Ice Beam deserves a mention also.

For the dual screens set, light clay should be included as an item option. Since the purpose of the set is to set up screens, it would make sense to have the screens up for as long as possible.

Don't mistake my criticism for me just bashing your set. Really, I think that you did a nice job on this analysis. I just feel that some things should be changed, thats all.

FerDrako
03-05-2011, 03:15 AM
i have been using this and its seemed rater effective, but i have no idea what to do for the evs
Shinboraa (M) @ Flame Orb
Trait: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 84 Def / 4 SAtk / 168 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Cosmic Power
- Roost
- Psycho Shift
- Assist Power

cosmic power raises defenses (making it incredibly bulky) and the base power of assist power up to 240 i think with 6 CPs psycho shift passes on a burn if needed. roost recovers hp, and flame orb protects it from status. and the mono psychic coverage isnt bad, necessarily i was able to out stall a few t-tars with burn, and roost.

DDwhiscash
03-05-2011, 04:22 AM
=_________= You actually took the time out to revive one of the shittiest analysis on in the 5th Gen Dept. Now I have to scrape up the time to touch it up with some Grammar corrections. I'm glad you did though. I also have to say thanks for the set (or move slash?). I'll add (or slash after using it) this set (or move slash) after either rewriting this or editing the obvious grammar mistakes.

MikeDecIsHere
03-05-2011, 04:28 AM
If you could update it to the new format that would be great too. It will save me the trouble of doing it soon

DDwhiscash
03-05-2011, 05:53 AM
:l And here is where my "job" becomes a chore.

DDwhiscash
03-11-2011, 09:27 PM
Bump, this is almost done. I'm going to finish this when I get back from my Exams this evening. Anything that anyone sees that needs to be added?

(Sorry for the Double Post)