PDA

View Full Version : Ferrothorn Analysis

MikeDecIsHere
01-12-2011, 05:49 PM
http://archives.bulbagarden.net/media/upload/f/f6/Spr_5b_598.png
Ferrothorn

Type: Grass/Steel

Ability:
Steel Thorns (Iron Barbs)- a better Rough Skin. Damages Pokemon who come in contact with Ferrothorn.

Base Stats:
HP: 74
Attack: 94
Defense: 131
Special Attack: 54
Special Defense: 116
Speed: 20

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/598.shtml

Overview

Ferrothorn is a much better Forretress in terms of walling. While it lacks Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes, it has a much better Special Defense stat, better move pool, better ability, and better STAB. To put its usefulness in perspective, with Rain up, Leech Seed, Protect and Max Special Defense, Ferrothorn can stall out Magnezone. This is something that Foretress could never do. Ferrothorn has TEN resistances and an immunity to poison, with only two weaknesses. Ferrothorn is also useful in Uber Stall, with a typing that can stall out the number one threat in Ubers, Kyogre.
On the down-side, Ferrothorn has no reliable method of recovery. Ferrothorn is eventually going to die, and there's not much that can be done about it. Ferrothorn also has a weakness to Fighting, which is very common in this generation.

Note

Spikes and Stealth Rock are legal together. Crustle can learn Spikes through breeding and Stealth Rocks through level up. It can then pass both on as a male to Ferrothorn.
Leech Seed and Spikes are obtainable through Cacturne or Roselia.
Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed are obtainable through Tortera.
These have been confirmed for those who think any are illegal together.
Proof in Smogon's feature on Ferrothorn (Nattorei):
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue13/featured_pokemon
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth/Move Sets

Standard Defensive Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn w/ Leftovers/Shed Shell
Ability: Steel Thorns
Sassy/Relaxed
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 252 HP; 168 spDef; 88 Def

Stealth Rock
Spikes/Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power Whip

Set Comments

While Ferrothorn has an impressive 131 base Defense, it also has a very nice 116 base Sp. Defense stat. This set maxes out Ferrothorn's Special Bulk, allowing it to be a counter to the number one threat in the metagame: Rain Teams. Even though Swift Swim + Drizzle was banned, Rain teams are still very dangerous, and Ferrothorn has a niche of being a very solid Water Pokemon counter. Stealth Rock is used in the first slot, as Ferrothorn's bulk means that it will most likely be able to get off at least one entry hazard. Stealth Rocks also breaks every Pokemon's Focus Sash/Sturdy. Spikes can be used in the second slot as another form of entry hazards. It also punishes Pokemon that switch in to take on Ferrothorn, mainly Heatran and Tyrannitar. However, Leech Seed can be used in the second slot to give Ferrothorn a viable form of recovery outside of Rest. The last two move slots are reserved for Ferrothorn's STAB. Gyro Ball is fantastic on Ferrothorn, since it will almost always have 150 base power. A 150 base power STAB Gyro Ball coming off of 94 base attack will still hurt anything that's neutral to it without any EV investments. The last move slot is reserved for Power Whip. Power Whip is mainly used to hit Water Types like Vaporeon, Kingdra, and Jellicent.
Items aren't really a mystery here. Leftovers is HIGHLY recommended, as Ferrothorn really needs the lefties recovery. Without Leftovers, Ferrothorn's survivability is essentially cut in half. However, if Magnezone is really that threatening, then Shed Shell can be used.

Additional Comments

With Ferrothorn's 20 base speed, no speed IVs and a hindering nature, Ferrothorn has 40 speed. A speed hindering nature is used in order to try to keep Gyro Ball at max power. Sassy is recommended first in order to increase special bulk, but Relaxed can be used if you want to be able to take some hits from the physical side. Running minimum speed with 0 speed IVs also ensures that Ferrothorn will out-speed Trick Room Reuniclus.
More EVs can be placed in either Defense or Special Defense depending on the preference. The given EV spread helps Ferrothorn function better against Rain teams while still maintaining solid physical bulk.

This Weed is Cursing!
Ferrothorn w/ Leftovers/Shed Shell/Chesto Berry
Sassy/Relaxed
0 Speed IVs
EVs 252 HP; 252 spDef; 4 Def

Curse
Leech Seed/Rest
Gyro Ball
Power Whip/Level Ground

Set Comments

When you have a Pokemon that's slow as dirt and has defenses through the roof, a Curse set seems almost natural. While its HP stat isn't as impressive as the premium curser of Gen IV, Snorlax, a much better typing still allows Ferrothorn to pull off this set effectively. Curse is the key to this set. After a few curses, Ferrothorn becomes incredibly hard to take down on the physical side. Leech Seed is recommended in the second slot. Without Sleep Talk, Rest essentially makes a Pokemon dead weight. Leech Seed can still provide as a nice way of recovery, as the combination of Leech Seed and Leftovers will still restore a nice bit of Ferrothorn's health per turn. Rest can be used, but the ChestoRest strategy is recommended for this. Gyro Ball is recommended in the third slot, as a cursed up Gyro Ball hurts almost everything insanely hard and is almost guaranteed to have 150 base power. Power Whip is listed first in the last move slot due to its insanely high base power and STAB. Level ground can be used for type coverage and to KO Magnezone.

Additional Comments

Even with no EV investments, after two curses Ferrothorn reaches a whooping 596 defense. This also brings Ferrothorn's attack to a nice 448. With Curse increasing Ferrothorn's Attack and Defense, it is imperative to maximize Ferrothorn's Special Bulk. 252 HP; 252 spDef with a sassy nature does this perfectly. The last 4 EVs are placed into defense, but they can be placed into attack as well. Leftovers is the item of choice. The recovery is necessary in order to increase Ferrothorn's survivability. Shed Shell is an option against Magnezone. Chesto Berry can be used for the ChestoRest strategy.

Choice Band
Ferrothorn w/ Choice Band
Brave
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk; 4 spDef

Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Payback
Explosion/Level Ground

Set Comments

While Ferrothorn is, more often than not, used as a defensive Pokemon, it still has a pretty nice 94 base attack. This set is used to catch people off-guard and put a dent in the opponent's team. The first two move slots belong to Ferrothorn's STAB: Power Whip and Gyro Ball. They are the most powerful moves that Ferrothorn has access to. A Banded Gyro Ball is powerful enough to 2HKO Lugia. Payback is used to surprise Psychics, mainly Latios. Since Ferrothorn is so slow, Ferrothorn will almost always get the boosted attack power for Payback. The nerf of payback is annoying however, as Ferrothorn can't punish Latios on the switch. Explosion is used in the last slot to go out with a bang. A Banded Explosion will put a nice dent in anything that isn't resistant to it. However, Level Ground can be used in order to try to predict Magnezone switch ins.

Additional Comments

Max attack with a Brave nature and a Choice Band puts Ferrothorn's attack stat at a healthy 430. Since Ferrothorn is so slow, it's not going to be out-speeding anything. 252 HP is used to increase Ferrothorn's bulk. The last 4 EVs go into Special Defense.

Ubers Defensive Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn w/ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 114 HP; 108 Def; 252 spDef

Leech Seed
Toxic
Protect
Power Whip/Gyro Ball

Set Comments

Ferrothorn's typing and defensive bulk make it viable in the Ubers tier as an aid to Uber Stall, and to check the number one threat in Ubers: Kyogre. While it has a neutrality to Ice Beam, Ferrothorn has resistances to both Thunder and Water Spout (Kyogre's most deadly moves). The combination of Toxic, Leech Seed, and Protect will dent almost all of Ferrothorn's opponents, barring Steels. With Uber's HP at such high levels, Leech Seed is a great form of recovery. Toxic is great in Ubers, as the only main Steels used are Heatran and Dialga. Protect is used in order to Toxic/Leech Seed stall. Power Whip is the attack of choice in order to hurt Groudon and Kyogre. Gyro Ball can also be used, as it will almost always have 150 Base Power. However, using Gyro Ball means that Ferrothorn has no reliable attack for Palkia.

Additional Comments

The EVs are used in order to gain more recovery back from Kyogre. Max Special Defense means that it can take special hits all day from certain Pokemon like Kyogre and Palkia (without Fire Blast).
Other Options

Thunder Wave- Can be used in order to cripple fast sweepers. While it might inhibit the power of Gyro Ball, it assists Ferrothorn's teammates in taking out some big threats on the opponent's team.
Iron Defense- Can be used on the special defensive set in order to quickly increase Ferrothorn's defense to sky high levels.
Explosion- Can be used on any of the sets to go out with a bang, but due to the nerf of its power it isn't recommended
Protect- Can be used to increase Leech Seed recovery and for scouting.

Team Options

Politoed is a fantastic partner for Ferrothorn, as drizzle reduces the damage Ferrothorn takes from Fire attacks. Jellicent forms a nice defensive core with Ferrothorn. The Ferrothorn/Jellicent defensive core has become very popular, and for good reason. Jellicent resists Ferrothorn's only two weaknesses, and Ferrothorn resists all 4 of Jellicent's weaknesses, making them a perfect defensive pair. Jellicent can also burn its opponents with Boil Over/Will-o-Wisp, thereby increasing Ferrothorn's bulk. Ferrothorn appreciates Rapid Spin support, as the residual damage from Spikes/Stealth Rock puts a huge dent in Ferrothorn's survivability. Excadrill and Starmie are great candidates for this, being the best Rapid Spinners in Gen V. Heatran is an okay teammate for Ferrothorn, being able to absorb any Fire attacks sent Ferrothorn's way. The common Fighting weakness can be very hindering though. Chandelure with Flash Fire is immune to both of Ferrothorn's weaknesses.
Ferrothorn is the kind of Pokemon that can fit into almost any team, with its plethora of resistances and support.

Counters

Ferrothorn has only two weaknesses: Fire and Fighting. Fire types resist both of Ferrothorn's STAB, so they are the best counters. Heatran 4x resists both of Ferrothorn's STAB, so it is by far the best Ferrothorn counter. However, Heatran has to beware of Ferrothorns that pack level ground if Heatran is not using a Balloon. Magnezone can trap the weed and can take it out with HP fire, though this strategy will fail if Ferrothorn is in the rain and has Leech Seed/Protect. Of course, if Magnezone has substitute, that will solve that problem. Ninetails is another great Ferrothorn counter. Ninetails brings out the sun, and it can threaten Jellicents that dare to switch in with Solarbeam/Energy Ball. Infernape can come in and immediately threaten Ferrothorn with their respective powerful Fire/Fighting attacks. Scizor can come in on Ferrothorn and begin setting up, as Ferrothorn has nothing that can harm Scizor. Tyranitar can threaten with Fire Blast, but Power Whip and Gyro Ball hurt Tyranitar a lot, so bringing it in against Ferrothorn is not the best idea.
In Ubers, Ho-oh is a great Ferrothorn counter, but be careful if Stealth Rocks are up, as the combination of Rocks and Gyro Ball will put a big chunk in the big bird. Reshiram can also come in and threaten Ferrothorn with powerful Fire Attacks. If Mewtwo has a Calm Mind up, it can take Ferrothorn out with Aura Sphere. Genosect is also a perfect counter to Ferrothorn, resisting both Toxic and Ferrothorn's STAB. Genosect can also threaten Ferrothorn with Flamethrower.

Opinion

Ferrothorn is basically what Foretress wishes it could be. While the added weakness to Fighting and the neutrality to Ice aren't great, the added resistances, mainly to Water, really give Ferrothorn an edge in this Generation.

Credit goes to Serebii for the Information
Credit goes to Dimes/Steel Dragons/Eevee for aid in the making of this analysis.

Dimes
01-12-2011, 11:30 PM
I'd appreciate if you could comment on Nattorei's use in Ubers, and is a huge component in Uber Stall.

steel dragons
01-13-2011, 12:07 AM
Ok, again, nice analysis so far.

First, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed ARE legal together. You can breed Nattorei with a Torterra, which can have both Leech Seed and Stealth Rock (from Gen.4) Spikes and Leech Seed are illegal together though.

Second, couldn't you combine all of the defensive sets? You could just have a set, like "Defensive Nattorei", then list the possible EV spreads for Nattorei. I think that the mixed Nattorei will be the most common spread, though I may be mistaken. You can say what Nattorei really counters with each EV spread and stuff like that also.

Third, a Curse set should be included. Even though Nattorei's stab combo leaves something to be desired, a Curse set can be deadly, given the right circumstances. The set would probably have moves like Curse, Leech Seed, and two moves out of Gyro Ball, Power Whip, and Level Ground.

ShinyRoserade
01-13-2011, 01:09 AM
Great analysis mike :D

MikeDecIsHere
01-13-2011, 01:20 AM
Ok, again, nice analysis so far.

First, Stealth Rock and Leech Seed ARE legal together. You can breed Nattorei with a Torterra, which can have both Leech Seed and Stealth Rock (from Gen.4) Spikes and Leech Seed are illegal together though.

Second, couldn't you combine all of the defensive sets? You could just have a set, like "Defensive Nattorei", then list the possible EV spreads for Nattorei. I think that the mixed Nattorei will be the most common spread, though I may be mistaken. You can say what Nattorei really counters with each EV spread and stuff like that also.

Third, a Curse set should be included. Even though Nattorei's stab combo leaves something to be desired, a Curse set can be deadly, given the right circumstances. The set would probably have moves like Curse, Leech Seed, and two moves out of Gyro Ball, Power Whip, and Level Ground.

Spikes and Leech Seed can be obtained through Cacturne. that is legal together. And thanks for the info about Torterra, I'll probably swap the spots for spikes with Stealth Rocks then

I can combine the defensive sets, but there are different reasons to use each spread, so instead of having a massive pile of EVs and Paragraphs explaining why each is better, i decided to do what Smogon did with things like Skarmory and just separate them. It makes it easier for the readers I believe. And yes the mixed set is the most popular. It will be moved to the front after I complete its analysis.

I was thinking about a curse set, i will definitely include it. Along with the Uber Wall/Stall set that Dimes mentioned, though i have to put a little research into that one so that might take some time.

PSN_Eevee
01-13-2011, 01:49 AM
Physically defensive set has almost no value though, as it means Nattorei loses the ability to switch into common rain sweepers, specs Draco Meteors, etc. Also, just add an extra paragraph in the Spec. Defensive set that an alternate spread of 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD is also viable, and remove the mixed defensive set, as the two basically play the same way.

MikeDecIsHere
01-13-2011, 03:57 AM
looking at the top 5 pokemon aside from Nattorei listed on PO; i see Tyranitar, Scizor, Garchomp, Doryuuzu; and Gliscor. They're all pokemon that are hindered by the physical set, so saying that the physical set has no viability is kind of not true.

PSN_Eevee
01-13-2011, 05:04 AM
Nah, the thing is, Natt isn't really capable of doing much to any of those Pokes. TTar almost always carry Fire Blast/Flamethrower, making it actually more beneficial to use a specially defensive set against them. SD Scizor (since frankly most are) just SDs in Natt's face and demolishes it with Brick Break/Superpower. Chomp either subs or switches, Dory SDs and then 2HKOs as you fail to do the same, and Gliscor just taunts you.

In addition, you lose the ability to take Draco Meteors well, stand up to offensive waters, rain, Manaphy (who's not banned by Smogon tiering yet), etc.

MikeDecIsHere
01-13-2011, 05:11 AM
Ahh my mind is still thinking in 4th gen, totally forgot that most ttars are boa, so yea natt is useless. Also scizors are not gonna be spamming superpowers and are just gonna dance up, so Natt's really gotta switch out of there. So ur definately right there really is no viability in the pure defensive set. If people really want it, then they can do it themselves. Ill remove it from the list and just move it into the additional options tomorrow.
Ill prob add some calcs to see how well this thing takes hits.

Alright so lets get the defensive sets straight.
I am removing the Defense and Mixed Set, making the Specially Defensive set the main set, and adding the EV spreads of 252 HP; 88 Def; 168 SpDef in the comments. Although I might add the 252 HP; 116 Def; 140 SpDef as another alternative spread.

This sound good Eevee?

Edit: I will also add the curse set and the Uber Stall set tomorrow

Dimes
01-13-2011, 10:15 PM
Spikes and Leech Seed are legal from Cacturne and Roserade.

Spikes and Stealth Rock should be legal, too, as Ishizumai can get SR by level up and Spikes from breeding with forretress

MikeDecIsHere
01-13-2011, 11:00 PM
yea Stealth Rocks and Spikes are legal. I already checked that one out

Dimes
01-14-2011, 01:54 AM
yeah lots of people seem to think otherwise, so I'd look for some confirmation

MikeDecIsHere
01-15-2011, 12:03 AM
ok guys, the analysis for Nattorei is essentially done. I'll add in the Ubers comments later this evening

steel dragons
01-16-2011, 11:35 PM
I have a question; where do you get your EV spreads from? I'm just curious, because some of the spreads seem to cover specific Pokemon. If you could mention what the EV spreads are for in the analysis, that would be great.

Again, nice job here on the analysis.

SilentDreams
03-06-2011, 05:39 AM
Here's the analysis in the new format. Changed all of the Nattoreis to Ferrothorn, but if I missed any, let me know. Also fixed some grammatical stuff and wording, but nothing major. The title of the post should probably be changed since only the English names are being used now.

Ferrothorn

Type: Grass/Steel

Ability:
Steel Thorns- a better Rough Skin. Damages Pokemon who come in contact with Ferrothorn.

Base Stats:
HP: 74
Attack: 94
Defense: 131
Special Attack: 54
Special Defense: 116
Speed: 20

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/598.shtml

Overview

Ferrothorn is overall a much better Foretress. While it lacks Rapid Spin and Toxic Spikes, it has a much better Special Defense stat, better move pool, better ability, and better STAB. To put its usefulness in perspective, with Rain up, Leech Seed, Protect, and Max Special Defense, Ferrothorn can stall out Magnezone, something that Foretress could never do. Ferrothorn has TEN resistances and an immunity to poison, with only two weaknesses. Ferrothorn is also useful in Uber Stall, with a typing that can stall out the number one threat in Ubers, Kyogre.
On the down-side, Ferrothorn has no reliable method of recovery. Ferrothorn is eventually going to die, and there's not much that can be done about it. Ferrothorn also has a weakness to Fighting, which is very common in this generation.

Note

Spikes and Stealth Rock are legal together. Iwaperesu can learn spikes through breeding and Stealth Rocks through level up. It can then pass both on as a male to Ferrothorn.
Leech Seed and Spikes are obtainable through Cacturne or Roselia.
Stealth Rocks and Leech Seed are obtainable through Tortera.
These have been confirmed for those who think any are illegal together.
Proof in Smogon's feature on Nattorei:
http://www.smogon.com/smog/issue13/featured_pokemon
In Depth/Move Sets

Specially Defensive Ferrothorn
Ferrothorni w/ Leftovers/Shed Shell
Sassy/Relaxed
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 252 HP; 248 spDef; 8 Def

Stealth Rock
Spikes/Leech Seed
Gyro Ball
Power Whip

Set Comments

While Ferrothorn has an impressive 131 base Defense, it also has a very nice 116 base Sp. Defense stat. This set maxes out Ferrothorn's Special Bulk, allowing it to be a counter to the number one threat in the metagame, Rain Teams. This set can handle the onslaught brought out by Specs Kingdra and Manaphy, as well as taking Draco Meteors pretty handily. Ferrothorn can also survive an unboosted Low Kick, meaning that Kabutops can't switch into Ferrothorn safely. Ludicolo can't touch Ferrothorn, as its typing means that Ludicolo can't Leech Seed stall Ferrothorn.
Stealth Rock is used in the first slot, as Ferrothorn's bulk means that it will most likely be able to get off at least one entry hazard. Stealth Rocks also breaks every Pokemon's Focus Sash/Sturdy.
Spikes can be used in the second slot as another form of entry hazards. It also punishes Pokemon that switch in to take on Ferrothorn, mainly Heatran and Tyrannitar. However, Leech Seed can be used in the second slot to give Ferrothorn a viable form of recovery outside of Rest.
The last two move slots are reserved for Ferrothorn's STAB. With Ferrothorn's 20 base speed, no speed IVs and a hindering nature, Ferrothorn has 40 speed. This means that Gyro Ball will almost always have 150 base power. A 150 base power STAB Gyro Ball coming off of 94 base attack will still hurt anything that's neutral to it without any EV investments. The last move slot is reserved for Power Whip. Power Whip is mainly used to hit Water Types, like Kabutops, Kingdra, Manaphy, and Burungeru.
A speed hindering nature is used in order to try to keep Gyro Ball at max power. Sassy is recommended first in order to increase special bulk, but Relaxed can be used if you want to be able to take a little bit of hits from the physical side.
Items aren't really a mystery here. Leftovers is HIGHLY recommended, as Ferrothorn really needs the lefties recovery. Without Leftovers, Ferrothorn's survivability is essentially cut in half. However, if Magnezone is really that threatening, then Shed Shell can be used.

Additional Comments

Other EV spreads can be:
252 HP; 88 Def; 168 spDef - Provided by Eevee- functions the same as the pure Special Defense spread while maintaing the ability to take physical hits.
252 HP; 116 Def; 140 spDef - Provided by MikeDecIsHere, used in order to take physical, neutral attacks fairly well while still remaining a special tank.
These EV spreads can be used if you want to increase your physical bulk. Both EV spreads still play the same as the Special Defensive spread.

This Weed is Cursing!
Ferrothorn w/ Leftovers/Shed Shell/Chesto Berry
Sassy/Relaxed
0 Speed IVs
EVs 252 HP; 252 spDef; 4 Def

Curse
Leech Seed/Rest
Gyro Ball
Power Whip/Level Ground

Set Comments

When you have a Pokemon that's slow as dirt and has defenses through the roof, a Curse set seems almost natural. While it's HP stat isn't as impressive as the premium curser of Gen IV, Snorlax, a much better typing still allows Ferrothorn to pull off this set effectively.
Curse is the key to this set. After a few curses, Ferrothorn becomes INCREDIBLY hard to take down on the physical side. Even with no EV investments, after two curses Ferrothorn reaches a whooping 596 defense. This also brings Ferrothorn's attack to a nice 448.
Leech Seed is recommended in the second slot. Without Sleep Talk, Rest essentially makes a Pokemon dead weight. Leech Seed can still provide as a nice way of recovery, as the combination of Leech Seed and Leftovers will still restore a nice bit of Ferrothorn's health per turn. Rest can be used, but the ChestoRest strategy is recommended for this.
Gyro Ball is recommended in the third slot, as a cursed up Gyro Ball hurts almost everything insanely hard and is almost guaranteed to have 150 base power.
Power Whip is listed first in the last move slot due to its insanely high base power and STAB. Level ground can be used for type coverage and to KO Magnezone.

Additional Comments

With the curses increasing Ferrothorn's Attack and Defense, it is imperative to maximize Ferrothorn's Special Bulk. 252 HP; 252 sp Def with a sassy nature does this perfectly. The last 4 EVs are placed into defense, but they can be placed into attack as well.
Leftovers is the item of choice. The recovery is necessary in order to increase Ferrothorn's survivability. Shed Shell is an option against Shadow Taggers and Magnezone. Chesto Berry can be used for the ChestoRest strategy.

Choice Band
Ferrothorn w/ Choice Band
Brave
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Atk; 4 spDef

Power Whip
Gyro Ball
Payback
Explosion/Level Ground

Set Comments

While Ferrothorn is more often than not used as a defensive Pokemon, it still has a pretty nice 94 base attack. This set is used to catch people off guard and put a dent in the opponent's team. Max attack with a Brave nature and a Choice Band puts Ferrothorn's attack stat at a healthy 430. Since Ferrothorn is as slow as dirt, it's not going to be out speeding anything. 252 HP is used to increase Ferrothorn's bulk. The last 4 EVs go into Special Defense.
The first two move slot belong to Ferrothorn's STAB, Power Whip and Gyro Ball, as they are the most powerful moves that Ferrothorn has access to. A Banded Gyro Ball is powerful enough to 2HKO Lugia. Payback is used to surprise Psychics, mainly Latios. Since Ferrothorn is so slow, Ferrothorn will almost always get the boosted attack power for Payback. The nerf of payback is annoying however, as Ferrothorn can't punish Latios on the switch.
Explosion is used in the last slot to go out with a bang. A Banded Explosion will put a nice dent in anything that isn't resistant to it. However, Level Ground can be used in order to try to predict Magnezone switch ins.

Ubers Defensive Ferrothorn
Ferrothorn w/ Leftovers
Nature: Sassy
0 Speed IVs
EVs: 114 HP; 108 Def; 252 spDef

Leech Seed
Toxic
Protect
Power Whip/Gyro Ball

Set Comments

Ferrothorn's typing and defensive bulk makes it viable in the Ubers tier as an aid to Uber Stall and to check the number one threat in Ubers, Kyogre. While ti ha a neutrality to Ice Beam, Ferrothorn has resistances to both Thunder and Water Spout, Kyogre's most deadly moves. The combination of Toxic, Leech Seed, and Protect will dent almost all of Ferrothorn's opponents, barring Steels. With Uber's HP at such high levels, Leech Seed is a great form of recovery. Toxic is great in Ubers, as the only main Steels used are Heatran and Dialga. Protect is used in order to Toxic/Leech Seed stall.
Power Whip is the attack of choice in order to hurt Groudon and Kyogre. Gyro Ball can also be used , as it will almost always have 150 Base Power. However, using Gyro Ball means that Ferrothorn has no reliable attack for Palkia.

Other Options

Thunder Wave- Can be used in order to cripple fast sweepers. While it might inhibit the power of Gyro Ball, it assists Ferrothorn's teammates in taking out some big threats on the opponent's team.
Iron Defense- Can be used on the special defensive set in order to quickly increase Ferrothorn's defense to sky high levels.
Explosion- Can be used on any of the sets to go out with a bang, but due to the nerf of its power it isn't recommended
Protect- Can be used to increase Leech Seed recovery and for scouting.

Team Options

Whenever you see Ferrothorn, most likely you will see a Burungeru. The Ferrothorn/Burungeru defensive core has become very popular, and for good reason. Aside from Burungeru resisting Ferrothorn's only two weaknesses, Ferrothorn resists all 4 of Burungeru's weaknesses, making them a perfect defensive pair. Burungeru can also burn its opponents with Boil Over/Will-o-Wisp, thereby increasing Ferrothorn's bulk as well. Ferrothorn appreciates rapid spin support, as the residual damage from spikes/stealth rocks puts a huge dent in Ferrothorn's survivability. Doryuuzu and Starmie are great candidates for this, being the best Rapid Spinners in Gen V. Heatran is an ok teammate for Ferrothorn, being able to absorb any Fire attacks sent Ferrothorn's way. The common Fighting weakness can be very hindering though. Shanderaa with Flash Fire is immune to both of Ferrothorn's weaknesses.
Ferrothorn is the kind of Pokemon that can fit into almost any team, with its plethora of resistances and support.

Counters

Ferrothorn has only two weaknesses; Fire and Fighting. Fire types resist both of Ferrothorn's STAB, so they are the best counters. Heatran 4x resists both of Ferrothorn's STAB, so it is by far the best Ferrothorn counter. Heatran has to beware of Ferrothorns that pack level ground if Heatran's not using a Balloon. Magnezone can trap the weed and can take it out with HP fire. This strategy will fail though if Ferrothorn is in the rain and has Leech Seed/Protect. Of course, if Magnezone has substitute, that will solve that problem. Ninetails is another great Ferrothorn counter. Ninetails not only brings out the sun, it can threaten Burungeru that dare to switch in with Solarbeam/Energy Ball. Infernape and Blaziken can come in and immediately threaten Ferrothorn with their respective powerful Fire/Fighting attacks. Scizor can come in on Ferrothorn and begin setting up, as Ferrothorn has nothing that can harm Scizor. Tyranitar can threaten with Fire Blast, but it's best not to bring in Tyranitar in Ferrothorn, as Power Whip or Gyro Ball will hurt a lot.
In Ubers, Ho-oh is a great Ferrothorn counter, but be careful if Stealth Rocks are up, as the combination of Rocks and Gyro Ball will put a big chunk in the big bird. Reshiram can also come in and threaten Ferrothorn with powerful Fire Attacks. If Mewtwo has a Calm Mind up, it can take Ferrothorn out with Aura Sphere. Genosect is also a perfect counter to Ferrothorn, resisting both Toxic and Ferrothorn's STAB. Genosect can also threaten Ferrothorn with Flamethrower.

Opinion

Ferrothorn is basically what Foretress wishes it could be. While the added weakness to Fighting and the neutrality to Ice aren't great, the added resistances, mainly to Water, really give Ferrothorn an edge in this Generation. Ferrothorn is the most used Pokemon right now, and for good reason.

Credit goes to Serebii for the Information
Credit goes to Dimes/Steel Dragons/Eevee for aid in the making of this analysis.

DDwhiscash
03-06-2011, 05:43 AM
And the TU power couple continue to D-O-M-I-N-A-T-E. Keep up the good work you two. :P lol

steel dragons
05-03-2011, 05:31 PM
Hey Mike, this analysis should be ready for QC approval, right?

Also, you need to remove mentions of rain sweepers in your analysis, as Drizzle and Swift Swim are banned.

There are also some Pokemon that need English names (most notably Burungeru to Jellicent)

Other than these things, this analysis isn't bad at all.

MikeDecIsHere
05-04-2011, 04:21 PM
Meh, I need to rewrite a few sections. Ill do that when I have the time, since I currentl am dealing with finals

The Fonz
05-04-2011, 11:00 PM
Great job Mike :)

MikeDecIsHere
05-16-2011, 04:00 PM
made a ton of edits on this. ready for QC approval

steel dragons
05-16-2011, 04:42 PM
Ok, this is QC approved by me. (QC (1/3))

My only real nitpick is that Thunder Wave maybe should be mentioned only in the first set alongside Gyro Ball instead of in other options.

pokemonisfun
06-28-2011, 03:17 AM
I am honestly doubting two of your sets right now, the curse one and the choice band one. First about cursing. Do you honestly expect to sweep anything with no speed and next to no coverage? You have only two weaknesses but anybody who knows anything will know to use fire moves on you which will obliterate you unless you are in rain where you will likely 2hkod or at least picked off by the next pokemon. Even with curse, Ferrothorn cannot possibly hope to take in fightng moves like Drain Punch from Roobushin, a 2hko after curse, or things like that. More often than not some fire pokemon or at least something with a fire move will come in and force you out, wasting the turn you have just cursed with. That turn would have been better spent spiking. There is also the concern of the opponent setting up on you while you are trying to set up. Skarmory will laugh at you and set up whatever it wants and then proceed to phaze you. Opposing Ferrothron will be able to take your 8 Gyro Balls if it does some prediction with protect and laughs at Power Whip with a four times resists, assuming it has protect for recovery. Meanwhile it can set up as many Spikes as it can, as well as rocks. The curse set just seems way too slow paced offensively in what looks like a super sharp metagame. The Choice Band set just confused me it really did. Is it an uber set since you made reference to Lugia. Payback, by the way, is useless. Completely useless. Get it off. Make it go bye bye. I challenge anyone to find something that Payback hits harder than Gyro Ball or Power Whip. Explosion kills off ferrothorn while barely being stronger than Power Whip, since Power Whip has 180 power with STAB as opposed to 250 power. Killing yourself might almost seem reasonable but not when you are such a defensive pivot as Ferrothorn. You might as well make a Swords Dance set if you are trying to sweeper with that or curse. Toxic just strikes me as odd on the uber defensive set, although it might work. What does it help you outstall? The Standard set looks really great although Protect deserves a slash somewhere imo as it gets you more recovery and scouts choice moves as well as stalling low PP moves like fire blast. In all though, this looks good, just like your other 100 or so analysis mike (:

wow sorry this is such a fat lump of text

lester101
08-05-2011, 04:26 AM
mention trick can can srew up defensive set's

lapras6666
08-10-2011, 12:32 PM
Lol... the only trick user in OU is Latios...

Ciele
08-10-2011, 02:37 PM
Lol... the only trick user in OU is Latios...

Umm...Rotom-w?

lapras6666
08-10-2011, 03:02 PM
Umm...Rotom-w?

forgot