PDA

View Full Version : Dragonite Analysis

EspyOwner
03-18-2011, 12:53 AM
reservation - currently being worked on.

[OU] Dragonite Analysis WIP

Introduction
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp335/Grasaldrea/Dragoniteanimated-1.gif
Dragonite
http://forums.garyoak.com/images/smilies/dragon.gif / http://forums.garyoak.com/images/smilies/flying.gif
Abilities: Inner Focus: The Pokemon cannot flinch.
Released- [DW] Multiscale: When at 100% HP, all damage is halved.

Base Stats:
91 HP
134 Atk
95 Def
100 SpA
100 SpD
80 Spe

Dragonite has been around since the first generation, back when it was the only fully-evolved Dragon typed Pokemon. In this generation, though, it got a massive boost in the name of the Multiscale ability. Dragonite is now not just slow mence with Extremespeed, it is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game. Taking minimal damage from almost every attack when at 100% HP, Dragonite has become a very useful Pokemon. In the past, the best sets were Clerics, Anti-leads, and Dragon Dancers, which in all honesty were either done better by Mence, or only used because of his Dragon typing and secondary offensive capabilities. The anti-lead set is no longer worth mentioning, due to the new rules of WiFi-Battling, where you can switch Pokemon around on a team based on what the opponent is using.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Move sets:

Defensive Dragon
Dragonite @Leftovers
Ability: Multiscale
Sassy
HP - 100/ Def - 216/ Sp.Def - 194
Roost
Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Extremespeed

This Dragonite is a set I personally made, when I first took interest in Multiscale Nite. Roost is a very self-explanatory move, recovering HP for Dragonite whilst it battles, and losing Flying typing can be very beneficial in a lot of cases, and it is never going to hurt Dragonite unless the opponent is using a Ground type move against it. Dragon Claw is for general STAB, and the move recommended on this set, due to the fact that it has no drawbacks and is a decent move for weakening the opponents. Outrage is less usable on this set, due to the fact that there is no Attack investment, and who wants to get locked into Outrage when we're needing to Roost? Dragon Tail is a phazing move, with a -1 priority, but does not go through Substitute, which is a major hindrance. Extremespeed is not only very useful for any physical Pokemon, but for Dragonite it can be the difference between a KO, and letting the opponent recover HP while it takes advantage of this set's low Speed stat. The EVs are used to take a Kojondo Fake Out at 100% HP and still be able to recover back to maximum, and the Special Defense EVs are there for general bulk, and more-than-often become very helpful when trying to take Hidden Power [Ice] and Ice Beams, usually freeing you up for a Dragon Claw/Extremespeed combination KO, or just if you need to be brave enough to see what the opponent is carrying and Roost off the damage you predict.

Offensive Mixed Dancing Dragon
Dragonite @Life Orb
Ability: Multiscale/Inner Focus
Hasty/Naive
EVs: 160 Attack - 156 Sp.Attack - 200 Speed
-Dragon Dance
-Fire Blast/Flamethrower
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake/Extremespeed

With this set you'll primarily be focusing on setting up Dragon Dance, while keeping your momentum with Fire Blast/Flamethrower when need be. The issue with choosing Flamethrower is that Dragonite cannot OHKO Ferrothorn by depending on the accuracy over power situation, and Fire Blast can be EV'd to simply OHKO any Ferrothorn that try to stop your momentum, along with the occasional Scizor, Forretress, and it can do a great deal of damage to Skarmory, if not KOing a weakened one. Earthquake is for coverage on Heatran and other ground weaks such as Tyranitar (The reason we're running the 200 speed points is so that we outspeed Jolly Ttar/Timid Heatran/Adamant Gyarados) Extremespeed could be used in this slot, but is less recommended on this set unless you're deathly afraid of certain priority moves, or think that you'll benefit more from Normal coverage. Outrage and Dragon Claw are always the same argument, 120 BP (160 factoring in STAB) versus 80 BP (120 factoring in STAB.)

Post-Analysis
After the move sets have been listed, the following must be included.

Other Options- Make in size 3 and Bolded

This is where moves, abilities, and items not listed in the analysis but have competitive value are listed. This does not mean listing the rest of the Pokemon's move pool.
Main points listed in the Other Options should be spaced and bolded in order to reduce confusion.

Teammates- make in size 3 and Bolded

Teammates that work well with the Pokemon should be listed here. This should not be a list. You must explain why the Pokemon listed as teammates work well with said Pokemon. For example, Gyarados is a good partner for Electivire because it lures Electric Attacks in order to obtain the Motor Drive Boost.

Counters- With Dragons such as Dragonite, it's not really possible to counter every set. If you use Bronzong/Nattorei, you can counter a good portion of sets if they lack Fire Blast, and with Heatran you can counter sets that lack Earthquake, but Dragonite will almost always have one of the two.

Opinion

To be honest, Dragonite is a very useful Pokemon. It can run highly offensive sets, it can run highly defensive sets, and it can run great support sets. There's no limit to the Dragon type's elemental resistance chart - Fire, Water, Grass, Bug, and even Fighting types are all resisted, while the ever-common Ground type is a complete immunity. This can't even explain how well Dragonite does against opponents. Dragon typing is only resisted by Steel - which is taken care of by the powerful Earthquake, or the common Fire Blast that a Dragonite can carry in its arsenal, making it not only a great defensive Pokemon, but an amazing offensive one too.

There are also several things that should be done when writing these analyses:
Avoid using Bullet Points- Analyses tend to look better in paragraph form. The "Other Options" Section may be a list, but that is all.
Avoid making Skeletons- Don't start an analysis and then take a few weeks to finish it. If the analysis has not been updated after a week it will be locked.
Capitalize names, items, and moves
Avoid using opinion- Don't post anything based off of opinion. This not only includes Sets, but for descriptions as well. Analyses tend to seem worse when a phrase similar to "I think" is used.

lapras6666
03-18-2011, 07:02 AM
lol you basically copy pasted the format. Now get rid of the format explanations and just actualy do what they say.
Also, where's DD nite, both defensive and offensive? Where's offensive MixNite? I know that you said that its kinda outclassed by mence but with marvel scale, you basically have a free boost on the DD set!
MixNite is still viable.

Lovat
03-18-2011, 07:55 AM
I think you mean Multi Scale, Lapras.
Give EspyOwner a break, he's simply copy and pasted the format and is slowly making his way into edited the parts in. He doen't have to do it all at once, the title does say WIP.
There is no need to instantly jump on him because he hasn't listed certain sets yet and has yet to fill in the post analysis sections. I know Luke, I think he knows what he's doing.
So please, stop with the forceful attitude, it's very rude. We want people to stay on our forums, not leave.

MikeDecIsHere
03-18-2011, 02:22 PM
The first line of the analysis says currently being worked on......

Anyway espy, you know I love that set, but quick question. Should outrage even be slashed in? It really doesn't seem all too necessary.

DDwhiscash
03-18-2011, 06:27 PM
Mike. Remember Surf vs Boiling water? .... I rest my case

lapras6666
03-18-2011, 06:36 PM
Ok sry guys.
@ Espyowner: If you plan on making new sets, then put below, for example: Offensive DD will be done later. This to avoid confusion. Sry if I was too forceful with you, I totally didn't mean that I just gave you ways to improve your analysis.

MikeDecIsHere
03-18-2011, 07:10 PM
DD, I remember the case, but the thing is being locked into a 2-3 turn move on a defensive Pokeomon and being confused after doesn't seem like a good idea

EspyOwner
03-18-2011, 09:24 PM
lol you basically copy pasted the format. Now get rid of the format explanations and just actualy do what they say.
Also, where's DD nite, both defensive and offensive? Where's offensive MixNite? I know that you said that its kinda outclassed by mence but with marvel scale, you basically have a free boost on the DD set!
MixNite is still viable.

You do know what WIP means, don't you?

If you don't, it mean work in progress. In other words, it means I'm not finished.

Valentine
03-19-2011, 10:09 PM
It sucks how Drag can't have Heal Bell with Multiscale:/
Someone gave me a set a couple days ago, and it's annoying as hell.

Dragonite
@Leftovers
Nature: Careful (+SpD, -SpA)
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Def

- Twave
- Roost
- Dragon Tail
- Substitute / EDIT: Fire Blast

Yeah.. It's kind of sad but i've pounded whole teams to death with this set. Subs+Roost lets you abuse Multiscale, Twave to slow every thing down, Dragon Tail for optimal annoyance. At worst, this set will cripple a couple of your opponents pokes with para.

MikeDecIsHere
03-19-2011, 10:46 PM
Remove Substitute and add Fire Blast and that set becomes a lot more viable

EspyOwner
03-20-2011, 08:35 PM
Needs moar bulky DDNite. Anyone have a decent set? Too lazy to find one myself.

MikeDecIsHere
03-20-2011, 09:11 PM
I can post one later. Ill do it back at my room

SilentDreams
03-20-2011, 11:04 PM
Here's a version of the analysis in the new format. Besides the stuff you know needs to be added, could you possibly also add credits for your sources of information?

Dragonite

Type: Dragon/Flying

Abilities:
Inner Focus- The Pokemon cannot flinch.
Released (Dream World Multiscale)- When at 100% HP, all damage is halved.

Base Stats:
HP: 91
Attack: 134
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 100
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 80

Overview

Dragonite has been around since the first generation, back when it was the only fully-evolved Dragon typed Pokemon. In this generation, though, it got a massive boost in the name of the Multiscale ability. Dragonite is now not just slow mence with Extremespeed, it is one of the bulkiest Pokemon in the game. Taking minimal damage from almost every attack when at 100% HP, Dragonite has become a very useful Pokemon. In the past, the best sets were Clerics, Anti-leads, and Dragon Dancers, which in all honesty were either done better by Mence, or only used because of his Dragon typing and secondary offensive capabilities. The anti-lead set is no longer worth mentioning, due to the new rules of WiFi-Battling, where you can switch Pokemon around on a team based on what the opponent is using.
In Depth/Move Sets

Defensive Dragon
Dragonite @Leftovers
Sassy
EVs: HP - 100/ Def - 216/ Sp.Def - 194

Roost
Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Extremespeed

Set Comments

This Dragonite is a set I personally made, when I first took interest in Multiscale Nite. Roost is a very self-explanatory move, recovering HP for Dragonite whilst it battles, and losing Flying typing can be very beneficial in a lot of cases, and it is never going to hurt Dragonite unless the opponent is using a Ground type move against it. Dragon Claw is for general STAB, and the move recommended on this set, due to the fact that it has no drawbacks and is a decent move for weakening the opponents. Outrage is less usable on this set, due to the fact that there is no Attack investment, and who wants to get locked into Outrage when we're needing to Roost? Dragon Tail is a phazing move, with a -1 priority, but does not go through Substitute, which is a major hindrance. Extremespeed is not only very useful for any physical Pokemon, but for Dragonite it can be the difference between a KO, and letting the opponent recover HP while it takes advantage of this set's low Speed stat. The EVs are used to take a Kojondo Fake Out at 100% HP and still be able to recover back to maximum, and the Special Defense EVs are there for general bulk, and more-than-often become very helpful when trying to take Hidden Power [Ice] and Ice Beams, usually freeing you up for a Dragon Claw/Extremespeed combination KO, or just if you need to be brave enough to see what the opponent is carrying and Roost off the damage you predict.

Dragonite @Life Orb
Hasty/Naive

Dragon Dance
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake/Extremespeed

Set Comments

With this set you'll primarily be focusing on setting up Dragon Dance, while keeping your momentum with Fire Blast/Flamethrower when need be. The issue with choosing Flamethrower is that Dragonite cannot OHKO Ferrothorn by depending on the accuracy over power situation, and Fire Blast can be EV'd to simply OHKO any Ferrothorn that try to stop your momentum, along with the occasional Scizor, Forretress, and it can do a great deal of damage to Skarmory, if not KOing a weakened one. Earthquake is for coverage on Heatran and other ground weaks such as Tyranitar (The reason we're running the 200 speed points is so that we outspeed Jolly Ttar/Timid Heatran/Adamant Gyarados) Extremespeed could be used in this slot, but is less recommended on this set unless you're deathly afraid of certain priority moves, or think that you'll benefit more from Normal coverage. Outrage and Dragon Claw are always the same argument, 120 BP (160 factoring in STAB) versus 80 BP (120 factoring in STAB.)
Other Options

This is where moves, abilities, and items not listed in the analysis but have competitive value are listed. This does not mean listing the rest of the Pokemon's move pool.
Main points listed in the Other Options should be spaced and bolded in order to reduce confusion.

Teammates

Teammates that work well with the Pokemon should be listed here. This should not be a list. You must explain why the Pokemon listed as teammates work well with said Pokemon. For example, Gyarados is a good partner for Electivire because it lures Electric Attacks in order to obtain the Motor Drive Boost.

Counters

With Dragons such as Dragonite, it's not really possible to counter every set. If you use Bronzong/Nattorei, you can counter a good portion of sets if they lack Fire Blast, and with Heatran you can counter sets that lack Earthquake, but Dragonite will almost always have one of the two.

Opinion

To be honest, Dragonite is a very useful Pokemon. It can run highly offensive sets, it can run highly defensive sets, and it can run great support sets. There's no limit to the Dragon type's elemental resistance chart - Fire, Water, Grass, Bug, and even Fighting types are all resisted, while the ever-common Ground type is a complete immunity. This can't even explain how well Dragonite does against opponents. Dragon typing is only resisted by Steel - which is taken care of by the powerful Earthquake, or the common Fire Blast that a Dragonite can carry in its arsenal, making it not only a great defensive Pokemon, but an amazing offensive one too.

Ducky
03-21-2011, 03:41 AM
Remove Substitute and add Fire Blast and that set becomes a lot more viable
I think that adding Flamethrower is better. Fire Blast lacks reliability and PP, which hinders his stalling capabilities.

EspyOwner
03-21-2011, 07:27 PM
Here's a version of the analysis in the new format. Besides the stuff you know needs to be added, could you possibly also add credits for your sources of information?

Dragonite

Type: Dragon/Flying

Abilities:
Inner Focus- The Pokemon cannot flinch.
Released (Dream World Multiscale)- When at 100% HP, all damage is halved.

Base Stats:
HP: 91
Attack: 134
Defense: 95
Special Attack: 100
Special Defense: 100
Speed: 80

Overview

In Depth/Move Sets

Defensive Dragon
Dragonite @Leftovers
Sassy
EVs: HP - 100/ Def - 216/ Sp.Def - 194

Roost
Dragon Claw/Dragon Tail
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Extremespeed

Set Comments

Dragonite @Life Orb
Hasty/Naive

Dragon Dance
Fire Blast/Flamethrower
Outrage/Dragon Claw
Earthquake/Extremespeed

Set Comments

Other Options

Teammates

Counters

With Dragons such as Dragonite, it's not really possible to counter every set. If you use Bronzong/Nattorei, you can counter a good portion of sets if they lack Fire Blast, and with Heatran you can counter sets that lack Earthquake, but Dragonite will almost always have one of the two.

Opinion

I don't see where credits are due, unless you want me to credit Smogon's 4th gen analysis for Dragonite, which doesn't tell you who the author of the set was.. And even then, I changed that set to fit 5th gen standards. The first set was a creation of my own, and no one should need to get credited for it other than myself, truly. I know that sounds a bit arrogant, but it's true, it was a customized set I made.

SilentDreams
03-21-2011, 08:25 PM
Yeah, most people credit Serebii for sources of information for things like abilities and base stats. If you used Smogon as a source for the analysis that works too, I mean *technically* copyright rules say that you should list something as a source even if you just referenced it and put it in your own words. I don't know how much of a stickler for copyright rules people are on here, but most people do have a list of credits of some kind, so I figured I would mention it.

Lovat
03-21-2011, 09:23 PM
Going to be honest. Nobody credits Nintendo/Game Freak for making the Pokemon.
So, I'd probably guess that TU isn't very good with these copyright shenanigans.

SilentDreams
03-22-2011, 02:09 AM
I kind of figured that was the case. I suppose it's not a bad idea to have the credits on the analyses so that people who are new to Pokemon know where to go if they need to look things up. Probably unnecessary in the grand scheme of things since people aren't too uptight about the credit thing, but it doesn't hurt either.

steel dragons
03-22-2011, 09:09 PM
Yeah, if you got info from Serebii, then you should credit them with the information, even if you don't directly quote them.

Also, did you know that Dragonite is the only Pokemon to get Thunder and Hurricane at once? Here is a set that I have used in the Rain:

Agility-Rain Sweeper
Dragonite w/ Leftovers / Life Orb
Timid / Modest nature
-Agility
-Hurricane
-Thunder
-Dragon Pulse

Yeah, I know that it seems sort of gimmicky, but I have used it to moderate success in some battles. It can work well with Drizzle Politoed, since the main Swift Swimmers aren't allowed with Politoed. You might want to test this out before you include this though.
EVs:

MikeDecIsHere
03-29-2011, 03:15 PM
Has any progress been made on this luke?

EspyOwner
07-08-2011, 12:04 PM
I'm just going to start over. These sets that I have posted are not only not-used/extremely uncommon, but REALLY need to get deleted. I'm just going to start from scratch on this one.

lapras6666
05-17-2012, 08:49 PM
This should SERIOUSLY be revamped, because some of these sets are practically not used anymore and the natures / EV's are a mess, especially since Dragonite is #2 right now. These should be the sets:

Offensive Dragon Dance
Choice Band
Defensive Dragon Dance
Phaser / SubRoost
Rain Abuser
Mixed Attacker

on that order.

BTW, lol at my attitude on this thread, I was seriously stupid

steel dragons
05-17-2012, 08:57 PM
This should SERIOUSLY be revamped, because some of these sets are practically not used anymore and the natures / EV's are a mess, especially since Dragonite is #2 right now. These should be the sets:

Offensive Dragon Dance
Choice Band
Defensive Dragon Dance
Phaser / SubRoost
Rain Abuser
Mixed Attacker

on that order.

BTW, lol at my attitude on this thread, I was seriously stupid

Yeah, this analysis should be revamped (like some others). Also, I don't think that Espyowner is really 'here' anymore.

If you want Lapras, you can either do one of two things. You can either send me the edits to this analysis (via PM), or you can do your own analysis. (that is, of course, if you feel like editing it right now)

I'm busy with life and with finishing the Starmie analysis. If you want to re-write this, then I'll be fine with that.

lapras6666
05-17-2012, 09:00 PM
Yeah, this analysis should be revamped (like some others). Also, I don't think that Espyowner is really 'here' anymore.

If you want Lapras, you can either do one of two things. You can either send me the edits to this analysis (via PM), or you can do your own analysis. (that is, of course, if you feel like editing it right now)

I'm busy with life and with finishing the Starmie analysis. If you want to re-write this, then I'll be fine with that.

Ok yeah, i'm doing this.