PDA

View Full Version : Lets talk about battling strategies

Eternal
03-26-2011, 06:58 AM
In this thread post your favorite strategies in the Gen 5 OU environment. Be sure to be as descriptive as you can when describing that strategy. If it's a combo of many Pokemon, then be sure to notify that.

Here's an example:

Tentacruel + Gliscor Stall:

http://www.poke-amph.com/heartgoldsoulsilver/sprites/073.png

Tentacruel @ Black Sludge
Ability: Liquid Ooze
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 HP / 196 Def / 60 SDef
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Toxic Spikes
- Sludge Bomb

http://www.serebii.net/pokearth/sprites/pt/472.png

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd
- Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Knock Off

Alright, the idea of this combo is for you to set up Toxic Spikes with Tentacruel first. If the opponent's Pokemon resists Toxic Spikes, like a Steel or Flying or Levitating Pokemon, then you can use Scald and try to get a burn. If not burn, then you can also go for Sludge Bomb to Poison the Flying/Levitating Pokemon. Use Team Preview as an advantage; once you know your opponent's team you can play around it. When you have set up your Toxic Spikes, you can then send in Gliscor. With Toxic Orb and Poison Heal, Gliscor is able to stall all day with Substitute and Protect. Once you're under a Substitute, your opponent cannot defeat your Gliscor when you have Protect as well. You can stall for ages with Substitute and Protect, and this works best when you have Toxic Spikes up as you can just watch all your opponent's Pokemon die through Toxic damage as you're safe under Substitute and Protect. You can also remove your opponent's item with Knock Off, so you can throw that Leftovers or Choice or whatever item your opponent has. This strategy can be very annoying to deal with for anyone. As well as Gliscor and Tentacruel having mostly all threatening attacks covered, as Tentacruel can take those Ice or Water attacks that hurt Gliscor, and Gliscor can take those Ground attacks that hurt Tentacruel. You can also try this strategy under Sandstorm for extra Sandstorm damage while Gliscor is under Sandstorm and Substitute + Protect. Have fun using this strategy.

Dimes
03-26-2011, 05:05 PM
I've been using a Torment Gliscor set that has been working pretty well so far.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
Nature: Impish
EVs: 252 HP / 184 Def / 72 Spd (Or Spdef)
- Ice Fang/ Protect
- Substitute
- Earthquake
- Torment

From what I've seen, Torment is one of the best Stalling moves in the game. Now with Poison Heal, Gliscor is never afraid of withering itself down too quickly with Substitute, being able to make one more Substitute for each two that is made, assuming that you have Poison Heal activated at full health prior, without Protect. I normally run Ice Fang to help take care of opposing Gliscor, but if you want to last longer and stall more, Protect can also be used. For team mates, Blissey comes to mind for dealing with Rotom-W and Starmie, which are Gliscor's main issues and pass around Toxic to aid your stall fest. Alternatively, Subsplit Rotom-W can work instead or with both Pokemon to take on even more threats and break most walls.

Yeah I know I cp'd Eternal's Gliscor and edited it but I'm lazy

Here's some more that I've used

Magnezone+ Garchomp (and/or Tyranitar)
One of the older combos, but is still very well effective. There is only one type that resists Dragon, and that's Steel. Magnezone can trap and beat most Steels with Magnet Pull, opening up for a sweep. Magnezone's new toy, Volt Switch, adds another dimension to the strategy; one where you can scout the opponent's switch. Latios, one of the largest threats to the combo, can easily be scouted and trapped by Tyranitar.

Ferrothorn+ Giratina-O

A twist to the Forretress+ Giratina-O combo that Jibaku used in Waiting Out the Storm, but with a new twist. Both pokemon have perfect synergy, being weak to no type together and resist a ton of common attacks. Ferrothorn works a bit differently though. While it can be used as something to set hazards, Ferrothorn also uses Thunder Wave, which slows down almost every Pokemon that does not have a ground type (Garchomp and Groudon). As a result, Giratina-O can enter in on the hit and threaten to KO with one of its many attacks. Draco Meteor those Dragons, Thunder those Kyogres, and Shadow Ball (or Hex) those Psychics without fear. If you really need it, Rest can be used for Giratina, but Outrage can be used too.