PDA

View Full Version : Expected grammar standards for analyses

Lovat
04-05-2011, 09:49 PM
This thread will outline the grammar rules for analysis writing. This thread also aims to clear the confusion of what Pokemon terms should be capitalized. The reason for having analyses follow these general grammar rules, is purely so that all analyses are repetitive in which terms are capitalized, etc.

An analysis will need to follow all of these rules in order to be approved for grammar checking. If you feel that there are exceptions to these rules, or if anything has been missed, then either PM myself (Lovat) or another member of the grammar checking team.

When writing an analysis, please remember these general rules...

We will be using American English for spelling purposes.
Correct examples: Flavor, color, capitalized.
Incorrect examples: Flavour, colour, capitalised.
Decorative additions to analyses are not necessary, and will not be included when the analysis is uploaded to the site. This includes changing the font, and color of your writing.
Please use the second person when writing an analysis.
Correct Examples: You, yourself.
Please use the ASCII (straight) quotation marks/apostrophe. Not the rounded variations.
Correct Example: "Lovat is particularly awesome", said Mig's mother.
Incorrect Example: “Lovat is particularly awesome,” said Mig’s mother.

When writing an analysis, please remember these capitalization rules...

The word "Pokemon" is always capitalized; the accent above the 'e' is not needed.
All Pokemon names are capitalized.
All Pokemon types are capitalized. However, the word "type" is never capitalized.
Correct Examples: Steel type, Grass type, Fire type.
Status effects are not capitalized.
Correct Examples: posioned, paralysed, confused.
Weather conditions are not capitalized.
Correct Examples: sun, rain, hail.
Natures are always capitalized; however, the word "nature" is not capitalized.
Correct Examples: Adamant nature, Bold nature, Calm nature.
The word "critical hit" is not capitalized.
The stats are only capitalized when referring to a Pokemon's personal stat. (Chandelure has 140 base Special Attack.) The accuracy and evasion stats are not capitalized.
If you're referring to a Pokemon as physically/specially offensive, then physically and specially are not capitalized.
Unofficial terms for describing a Pokemon are not capitalised.
Correct Examples: wall, sweeper, tank, suspect.
Tiers are capitalized. Suspect is only capitalized when discussing the tier/metagame.
Attacks must be capitalized how they are in the games.
Correct Examples: Dynamicpunch, Ice Shard, Overheat.
Items must be capitalized how they are in the games.
Correct Examples: Poke Ball, Air Balloon, Salac Berry.

When writing an analysis, please take into account these grammar and punctuation rules/preferences...

Semicolons
Use a semicolon in the place of a period/full stop to separate two sentences, where the conjunction has been left out. This can stop the repetition of common conjunctions (and, but, so)
Example: Today has been awesome; getting down on Friday will be exciting.
Semicolons should also be used before an introductory word/connective, a comma should then be placed after the introductory word. A comma can be used in place of the semicolon, but semicolons are preferred if the following content is going to be listed.
Example: Excadrill will need the support of a reliable Spikes user; for example, Sakrmory, Ferrothorn, or Forretress could make a sweep easier.
To prevent the abuse of commas, and join two sentences with the addition of a conjunction, a semi-colon can be used in the place of a comma.
Example: Ferrothron is a welcomed addition on any team, due its supreme typing; and if rain is in effect, Ferrothorn's walling capabilities are increased further.

Parentheses/brackets
Parentheses can be used to separate information, and also emphasize, important facts.
Example: Crunch from Tyranitar with max Attack does around 55.2% - 65.1% to Reuniclus (that's a 2HKO!).
For adding emphasis, Em dashes can have the same effect as Parentheses.
Example: Crunch from Tyranitar with max Attack does around 55.2% - 65.1% to Reuniclus—that's a 2HKO!
Parentheses can also enclose numbers, when listing information.
Example: In order to sweep Garchomp needs (1) Brightpowder equipped, (2) support from a Pokemon with Sand Stream, and (3) a Steel trapper, like Magnezone.

Apostrophes in contractions & Homonyms
It's vs Its:
"It's" is a contraction for "it is", or "it has". Whilst "its" is possessive, and usually used to be descriptive in a sentence. If you are confused on whether using "it's" in your sentence is correct, then simply read your sentence out loud and replace "it's" with "it is" or "it has", to see if it makes sense.
Example #1: It's a shame that Cofagrigus doesn't have access to a reliable recovery move.
Example #2: It's Friday, Friday, gotta get down on Friday.
Example #3: With its power to absorb status conditions, Magic Guard is one of the best abilities in the game.
You're vs Your:
"You're" is a contraction for "You Are". However, the word "your" is possessive, and is often used for descriptive sentences. Much like the previous situation with "its", this problem can easily be solved, by reading your sentence out loud, and seeing whether "you are" fits better than "your".
Example #1: Your best option for perfect coverage is to use Thunderbolt with Ice Beam.
Example #2: You're more likely to see Electivire on the ladder, rather than Garchomp.
There vs Their vs They're:
"There" denotes a places, and describes being in, at, or going to that place. "Their" is a determiner belonging to them, a possessive pronoun. They're is a contraction for "They Are".
Example #1: Without Gliscor, there is a high chance of your team being swept by Excadrill.
Example #2: Flying types are weak against Ice attacks, that's not their only problem though, they're also weak to electric attacks.

Written by Lovat. (more to be added)

Ducky
04-06-2011, 12:16 AM
Are Pokemon attacks capitalized?
Ex: Ice Shard

This might be in there, but I can't find it.

Tony32
04-06-2011, 12:47 AM
Are Pokemon attacks capitalized?
Ex: Ice Shard

This might be in there, but I can't find it.

Yea.

Kuja20
04-06-2011, 11:16 AM
I find it saddening that we have to use American English over the real English, but otherwise nice work on this thread, it should definitely clear up any queries regarding grammar and spelling.

Lovat
04-06-2011, 03:50 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I was certain that I had included the capitalization of Attacks. ;-;
Oh well, it's in there now.

As for the analyses being in American English and not proper English.
As a British person, I don't like it either. <_<
But seeing as by creating these guidelines, I'm trying to keep all the analyses following the same rules and capitalization trends, etc. Then it makes sense to use the "language" that the majority of our users/analysers/Pokemon players are used to. :|

Kuja20
04-06-2011, 04:03 PM
Thanks for the positive feedback.
I was certain that I had included the capitalization of Attacks. ;-;
Oh well, it's in there now.

As for the analyses being in American English and not proper English.
As a British person, I don't like it either. <_<
But seeing as by creating these guidelines, I'm trying to keep all the analyses following the same rules and capitalization trends, etc. Then it makes sense to use the "language" that the majority of our users/analysers/Pokemon players are used to. :|
Lol I was only semi-serious, so no sweat.

Mig
04-07-2011, 01:36 AM
We will be using American English for spelling purposes.

Screw that

Correct Example: "Lovat is particularly awesome", said Mig's mother.
Incorrect Example: “Lovat is particularly awesome,” said Mig’s mother.

Screw you

cyndaquilfish
06-10-2011, 01:34 AM
I'm very new, and I found this extremely helpful. Great job Lovat! I have a question though. How do I upload a sprite I created to be my picture (You know, the one beneath my name?)

Dimes
06-10-2011, 01:40 AM
CYndaquilfish, that's not relevant to the thread. However, if you want to use an avatar, click on user CP and go to change avatar, then paste the image url.