View Full Version : Explosion Discussion

MikeDecIsHere
04-08-2011, 05:54 AM
http://i21.tinypic.com/zmh1zo.png

Explosion

Type: Normal

Physical

Base Power: 250

Description: The user explodes to damage everything around it. The user also faints upon using this move.

Introduction

A lot of things have changed in Gen 5. Some moves have been buffed up, like Drain Punch, Tackle, and the notorious High Jump Kick. Other moves have not been so lucky, and have decreased in power. One of these moves is Explosion, or its brother Selfdestruct. In all previous gens, Explosion had a hidden effect, where it halved the Defense of the Pokemon being attacked, essentially making Explosion a 500 Base Power move. With the coming of Gen 5, Explosion no longer has that effect, meaning that it is only a 250 Base Power move.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Some Pokemon that benefit from the Explosion Nerf

http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/242.gif

Blissey

Ah yes, Blissey. Blissey is still one of the premier Special Defensive walls. In Gen 4, a lot of Special-based attackers usually packed Explosion in order to take down this annoyance. However, Explosion coming from a Pokemon like Heatran can not OHKO Blissey anymore without investment, meaning that most Special Attackers will not be running Explosion anymore. This means that Blissey has a huge boost thanks to the fact that it can now safely switch in on most Special Attackers.

Some Pokemon that did not benefit from the Explosion nerf
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://imgboot.com/images/aragornbird/482.gif

Azelf

Azelf was huge in Gen 4 as a suicide lead, mainly due to the fact that Explosion coming from this thing hurts anything that isn't Steel or Ghost with no investment. A banded Explosion can OHKO a Heatran in Gen 4. With the nerf of Explosion, along with other things, Azelf has lost a lot of viability. It's definitely not bad by any standards, but there are now just a multitude of Pokemon that out class it.

Discuss the other effects of the Explosion nerf here!

DDwhiscash
04-08-2011, 06:07 AM
Azelf can now assume the role of NP sweeper w/ Psycho Shock/Break. It works nicely late game when it comes to cleaning up shop. All walls in general benefit from this nerf. I also want to get into the alternative for this move, Life Gamble, it may not always secure a KO but Scarf Victini can deal a good amount of damage to w/e poor sap feels like taking that attack.The biggest problem is the majority of Life Gamble users are smartly placed as Pokemon who are SR weak (Bugs & Fires) or just don't have the speed to use the move (Fighting types). Another thing is the fact that the users for this move lack the HP base to fully utilize it. Take for example Accelgor, it has a decent (at least) amount of HP, but switch it into a wall and try to KO it with that one move (= Fail). They work good for literal suicide leads though. Anyway back on track with Explosion. We still have Lickylicky who could hurr durr the hell outa something.

Eternal
04-08-2011, 04:34 PM
I don't see much viability of Explosion in Gen 5. The only time I see it used in competitive battling is on Landlos. And it's not that great on Landlos either...

DDwhiscash
04-09-2011, 04:02 PM
Lets look on the bright side. It still KO's 0 Def / 0 HP Bissey... if you can find one of those.

PSN_shade
04-10-2011, 05:33 PM
Quite a few pokes got Damp as their ability in gen5 so explosion will most likely be used less though with some of the threats that now carry it it could be used more, only time will tell i guess.

Eternal
04-10-2011, 09:00 PM
Think of Explosion this generation in the sense that now your opponent has an infinite Reflect up whenever you use Explosion. If that's true, then you can see how bad Explosion is now due to it doing half as much as it would've done in Gen 4.

Ducky
04-11-2011, 06:05 AM
The Explosion nerf reaaaalllllyyyyyy killed its usage. If Explosion hadn't been nerfed, then Custap-Explosion combos would be everywhere imo.
An Explosion from Landlos would still hit harder than an Earthquake. Although Explosion is resisted by a wide range of Pokemon.

MikeDecIsHere
04-11-2011, 03:08 PM
The Explosion nerf reaaaalllllyyyyyy killed its usage. If Explosion hadn't been nerfed, then Custap-Explosion combos would be everywhere imo.
An Explosion from Landlos would still hit harder than an Earthquake. Although Explosion is resisted by a wide range of Pokemon.

Cusap berry isn't released yet, but even if it was you're right. The nerf really did hurt a lot of pokemon, for example: a banded snorlax selfdestruct can OHKO a cresselia in gen 4, but it now only does between 50 or 60 %

DDwhiscash
04-12-2011, 03:41 AM
Although gamefreak doesn't play competatively. I feel as though they did it to mantain balance in Battle Tower. It helps nullify stuff like Cheer Up and Butterflydance. (Imagine a cheer up user with explosion, a good one might guarantee two KOs per game in the right hands. Now imagine if Heatran got Butterfly Dance and there was no Explosion nerf. Get it?) So I feel as though Game Freak toned it down to help make stall a bit more playable. They even gave us the alternative (that I wont ramble on about) for it Life Gambe. So in all honesty that nerf was a good thing.

steel dragons
04-12-2011, 04:04 PM
Cusap berry isn't released yet, but even if it was you're right. The nerf really did hurt a lot of pokemon, for example: a banded snorlax selfdestruct can OHKO a cresselia in gen 4, but it now only does between 50 or 60 %

True, this nerf did hurt a lot of Pokemon, especially Pokemon like Heatran which relied on Explosion to get past Blissey.

Also, on an unrelated note, Custap Berry-Harvest Exeggutor could be deadly in the right hands.

DDwhiscash
04-15-2011, 05:16 AM
The berry and the ability haven't been release yet? If I'm not mistaken.

steel dragons
04-15-2011, 01:20 PM
They have released Harvest Exeggutor, but not the Custap Berry.