PDA

View Full Version : mew OU what were they thinking?

ekspo
04-10-2011, 02:04 PM
Ok can someone please explain to me why they are testing Mew as an OU. Firstly Jirachi and Celebi are extremely good pokemon, the only reason they arent Uber is because of their "limited" movepool and "poor typings" which i dont really agree with but thats another story. Mew is pure psychic, awesome typing, plus the movepool by FAR the greatest in the entire game. This pokemon is so damn versatile you dont know wether its going to be a baton passer, support, physical sweeper, special sweeper, spec wall, phys wall WHO KNOWS mew can do EVERYTHING. So is there something ive missed since ive been away because ive been using mew on the ladder and it has raped, im using a very unusual set and noone can counter it at all, im not saying im good at all just this pokemons insane.. so can someone tell me wether its in OU temporarily or what?

Ciele
04-10-2011, 03:11 PM
Since when has pure Psychic been an awesome typing? Well RBY, but that was ages ago. Steel/Psychic is certainly much better.

Mew may be able to do everything well, but it excels at nothing. It used to be the #1 Baton Passer, but even that position has been usurped by Gorebyss.

Bulky Mew is still pretty effective and overall is a more than usable Pokemon, but broken it most certainly isn't.

DDwhiscash
04-10-2011, 03:17 PM
Mew is really no big deal. It's slow in this meta making it somewhat bad as an Offensive Pokemon and Psychic typing is sort of a hindrance to Defensive sets. Mew is OU but it just doesn't do anything really out of the norm to be Uber. It actually isn't too good for the tier this time.

PSN_shade
04-10-2011, 05:31 PM
Mew is outclassed by the genie's that can all KO with U-Turn and it would struggle with pursuit users it's really more fragile than threatening it should stay in OU there's way more threats than more lol

ekspo
04-11-2011, 02:55 AM
wowwww mews too versatile in my opinion, its impossible to counter something with 100 different variants of that poke... its broken.. and pure psychic is a mad typing, steel just gets rid of its fighting resistants and makes it weak to fire and ground two of the most common types in the game

steel dragons
04-11-2011, 03:32 AM
Mew's stats are what let it down really; its stats are "average," but not "great." It learns every TM and move tutor move in the games, but still, its stats and typing really don't do Mew any favors. As a sweeper, Mew is outclassed by other Pokemon; as a baton passer, it is outclassed by Gorebyss, and as a support/defensive Pokemon, it is outclassed by Pokemon like Ferrothorn, Blissey, Gliscor, and Skarmory.

In short, Mew may be able to learn nearly every move, but it is outclassed by many other Pokemon, no matter which role it takes.

ekspo
04-11-2011, 04:03 AM
thats not what im saying i know in every role it is outclassed but the fact is it has 100s of roles it can play which can throw the opposition off. Blissey is just a special wall it CANT do anything else so its so easy to counter, skarmory can only be a physical wall, so again its easy to counter - the fact that mew can be both plus have a harder hit then offensively with a crazy movepool is too hard to counter.. you atleast have to hit it wildly or be hit to know what type of mew it is. And pursuit is hardly a counter considering it can live plus have almost every move at its disposal to counter..

plus 100 base stat for everything isnt average, its well above average fyi. Trust me mew is very good.. i dont see how people think its just an average pokemon

MikeDecIsHere
04-11-2011, 04:35 AM
Versatility does not necessarily mean that it is broken. With the addition of a ton of Base 101+ Speed threats, base 100 Speed isn't as great as it used to be. Mew can run a ton of sets, but the only one that does decently in this meta is a defensive set. TM moves are also very limited, where a ton of Pokemon learn their most desired moves through leveling up. Sure, if Mew was able to learn EVERY move it would be broken, since its stats are significantly better to that of Smeargle. But simply being able to learn every TM and move tutor move doesn't really cut it. If it had something like Spore, then it has a legitimate claim to be considered to be Uber, but Mew doesn't really have any move that can make it broken.

Iggylow
04-16-2011, 01:45 AM
mews OP

as ekspo said

versatile

very versatile

DDwhiscash
04-16-2011, 02:38 AM
All I can say is it's here to stay. Just deal with it. It's a really good filler for many teams, but when it comes right and plain down to it's just living in the shadow of many things that are dwelling around. Did I mention T-tars every where ya go? Because that actually plays a small or decent amount in what suppresses Mew from being extremely good. In OU it's STAB is just plain useless. Since it will always be resisted by the omnipresent Steel and rising number of Psychics or T-tar would just switch in and render it useless. In the right hands Mew can be deadly, but it just isn't a top threat at the moment.

Eternal
04-16-2011, 05:35 PM
If we're talking about Gen 5, then no, Mew isn't the same Mew as it was in Gen 4.

PowertothePika
04-17-2011, 12:32 AM
angry and dumb what a combination

Dimes
04-17-2011, 12:32 AM
I was arguing about the same problem on a different site. In theory, Mew has no counters. However, when you really think about it, there is a very tiny likelihood of Mew using a set that would give you immense problems. Sweeper wise, Mew only has a ****** Psychic typing (which isn't as bad as previous gens, but still). That means that most moves won't have STAB; therefore being weak as dog ****, with physical sets, and NP is weak to stuff like Tyranitar. Hardly Uber imo.

DC
04-17-2011, 06:09 AM
Let's play the game before we start naming random threats to go uber, shall we?

Lavityranitar
04-17-2011, 09:43 AM
Mew is just outclassed, whatever it does.

EDIT: It is still good at Baton Passing, but that's the only set it can run without being outclassed (And if Blaziken gets voted back to OU, it's outclassed there by Blaziken's Baton Passing set(s).

Ciele
04-17-2011, 11:59 AM
EDIT: It is still good at Baton Passing, but that's the only set it can run without being outclassed (And if Blaziken gets voted back to OU, it's outclassed there by Blaziken's Baton Passing set(s).
Baton Pass is illegal with Speed Boost for Blaziken.

steel dragons
04-17-2011, 07:22 PM
Nah, Gorebyss can pass Shell Breaks...so Mew isn't the best baton passer either.

I think (and I have heard) that its defensive set is good, but that most of its other sets are outclassed by other Pokemon.

Dimes
04-17-2011, 09:07 PM
Nah, Gorebyss can pass Shell Breaks...so Mew isn't the best baton passer either.

I think (and I have heard) that its defensive set is good, but that most of its other sets are outclassed by other Pokemon.

Pretty much.