PDA

View Full Version : Volcarona Analysis

steel dragons
04-29-2011, 01:26 PM
http://i53.tinypic.com/33mvfkm.gifhttp://i53.tinypic.com/33mvfkm.gifhttp://i53.tinypic.com/33mvfkm.gif

Volcarona

Type: Fire/Bug

Abilities:
Flame Body- "The opponent has a 30% chance of being induced with BURN when using an attack, that requires physical contact, against this Pokémon." (from Serebii)
Swarm (Dream World, unreleased)- "When HP is below 1/3rd, Bug’s power increases to 1.5 times." (from Serebii)

Base Stats:
HP: 85
Attack: 60
Defense: 65
Special Attack: 135
Special Defense: 105
Speed: 100

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-bw/637.shtml

Overview

Volcarona can be a fearsome sweeper. It has access to the move Quiver Dance, which boosts its Special Attack, Special Defense, and Speed by one level after every use. Volcarona has a very high base 135 Special Attack and a decent base 100 Speed, so after a Quiver Dance, Volcarona can become a very threatening sweeper. With moves like Fiery Dance, Bug buzz, and a Hidden Power for coverage, Volcarona can hit many Pokemon hard. Volcarona also has good offensive typing, but its defensive typing is relatively bad. This is due to the fact that Volcarona takes 50% damage from Stealth Rock. Also, Volcarona has a relatively low Defense stat, so most strong physical hits will severely damage it. Despite Volcarona's 4X weakness to Stealth rocks, Volcarona does resist two of the most common priority moves, Mach Punch and Bullet Punch. If Stealth Rock is kept off of the field, Volcarona can become a threat to nearly any team.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In Depth/Move Sets

http://i53.tinypic.com/33mvfkm.gif
Quiver Dance Sweeper
Volcarona w/ Life Orb
Ability: Flame Body
Nature: Timid
EVs: 252 SpA; 252 Spe; 4 Def

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance/Fire Blast
Hidden Power Rock/Hidden Power Ground/Hidden Power Ice

Set Comments

This set will probably be Volcarona's most common set for a long time. It utilizes Volcarona's offensive capabilities to the fullest: maximizing Special Attack and Speed in order to out-speed and hit as much as possible. Bug Buzz is used for the second slot, as it is Volcarona's strongest Bug-typed move. Fiery Dance is the primary option for the third slot, as it is 100% accurate, has decent power, and has a chance to raise Volcarona's special attack by one level. Fire Blast is also an option for the third slot, as it has more power than Fiery Dance. However, Fire Blast is less accurate and doesn't have a chance of raising Volcarona's special attack. For the last slot, Hidden Power Rock is the primary option, as it hits Dragonite, Salamence, and Gyarados harder than Volcarona's STAB moves. Hidden Power Ground is also an option here, mainly for hitting Heatran, who otherwise resists Volcarona's STAB moves. Hidden Power Ice is also viable for this slot, hitting the likes of Salamence, Gliscor, and Dragonite very hard.

Additional Comments

252 Special Attack EVs and 252 Speed EVs should be used to make Volcarona the best sweeper that it can be. A Timid nature should be used to out-speed Pokemon like Haxorus and Hydreigon, or to speed-tie Pokemon like Salamence and Zapdos. A Life Orb should be used to increase Volcarona's damage output.

Chesto-Rest Quiver Dance Sweeper - from Seth Vilo
Volcarona w/ Chesto Berry
Nature: Modest
EVs: 252 SpA; 144 HP; 112 Spe

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fire Blast/Fiery Dance
Rest

Set Comments

This set trades the power and coverage of the first set for the ability to fully heal. With Rest, this Volcarona set has the ability to get multiple boosts and sweep, despite only having two attacking moves. Bug Buzz is the best Bug move for Volcarona, and it is the best option for the second slot. Fire Blast is preferred for the third slot due to the fact that it has more power. This set focuses on boosting many times with the help of Rest then sweeping, making the Special Attack boost from Fiery Dance is less useful for this set. Fiery Dance can still be used though, as it is a consistent move that has a chance to raise Special Attack and it's more accurate. Rest is used for the last slot to completely heal Volcarona, so that it has more opportunities to sweep.

Additional Comments

This set focuses on boosting many times with Quiver Dance, then sweeping. After one or two boosts Volcarona out-speeds most OU Pokemon anyway, so a Modest nature with 252 SpA EVs is more beneficial to Volcarona here. The 112 EVs in Speed are used to out-speed base 130 Pokemon after one Quiver Dance boost, and most other Pokemon after two boosts, like Scarfed Terrakion. The 144 HP is used to take some resisted priority hits, like Scizor's Bullet Punch and Hitmontop's Mach Punch. However, instead of the listed spread, a spread of 252 SpA, 252 Spe, 4 Def with a Timid nature can be used. That spread is much faster, but less powerful than the other spread. For the item, Chesto Berry is preferred so that Volcarona can more reliably use Rest without sleeping for two turns.

Bulky Quiver Dancer
Volcarona w/ Leftovers
Nature: Bold
EVs: 252 Def; 248 HP; 8 Spe

Quiver Dance
Bug Buzz
Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
Morning Sun

Set Comments

Unlike the offensive Volcarona set, this set is more bulky. It allows Volcarona to set up many boosts, then sweep the opponent's team. This set is best used in the Sun, which allows Volcarona to recover 66% of its health through Morning Sun, and boosts the power of Fiery Dance. Again, Bug Buzz is Volcarona's strongest Bug move, and it should be included on this set. Fiery Dance is preferred for the third slot because it is a consistent Fire move that has a chance of boosting Volcarona's Special Attack by one stage after each use. Fire Blast can be used here also, as it has considerably more power than Fiery Dance. Morning Sun is used in the last slot, allowing Volcarona to recover its health while setting up on the opponent. In the Sun, Morning Sun recovers two thirds of Volcarona's health, making it a useful method of recovery.

Additional Comments

Near max HP and max defense EVs are used for this set, along with a Bold nature, to give Volcarona the best physical bulk possible. 248 HP EVs are used on Volcarona instead of 252 HP EVs to allow Volcarona to switch into Stealth rock twice without dying and without taking any other damage. Having this good physical bulk especially helps because, in the Sun, Volcarona can take some attacks like Gyarados' Waterfall, and proceed to set up. Also, physical attackers may be burned due to Flame Body, further increasing the odds that Volcarona can survive against physical attackers. Leftovers is the preferred item for this set, as it ultimately makes Volcarona harder to take down.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Other Options

Hurricane - Could be used as an additional coverage move instead of a Hidden Power. This could make Volcarona an interesting sweeper under Rain, as Hurricane then becomes a 100% accuracy and 120 power move under Rain.
Flamethrower - Could be used on any Volcarona set. It has 100% accuracy like Fiery Dance, and has more power than Fiery Dance. However, Fiery Dance is usually preferred for its chance to raise special attack, and Fire Blast is preferred for its superior power to Flamethrower.
U-Turn - Could be used to gain the upper hand in a match by switching out Volcarona to another Pokemon. However, because of Volcarona's vulnerability to entry hazards like Stealth rock, this is usually not recommended.
Whirlwind - Could be used to phaze out threatening opponents. However, this is usually best-suited for a different Pokemon.
Will-o-wisp - Could be used to Burn physical opponents, allowing Volcarona to have an easier time setting up Quiver Dances.

Teammates

Ninetales is a great teammate for Volcarona, as its prema-sun from Drought strengthens Volcarona's Fire moves and Morning Sun. Magic Mirror Pokemon, like Espeon and Xatu, are helpful to use with Volcarona as they can block attempts to use the harmful Stealth Rock. Espeon is probably recommended because it doesn't share any weaknesses with Volcarona. If a Magic Mirror Pokemon is not desired, a Rapid Spinner can be used instead. Forretress pairs well with Volcarona, and can lay down entry hazards to affect the opposing team. Hitmontop also works well with Volcarona because of its resistance to Rock moves, its access to Rapid Spin, and its access to Intimidate to weaken some physical attacking Pokemon. Starmie also pairs well with Volcarona, as Starmie can threaten many of Volcarona's counters, like Heatran, Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, and Chandelure. Ferrothorn works well with Volcarona, resisting the Rock and Water attacks aimed at Volcarona. Ferrothorn also does well against some of Volcarona's counters, like Tentacruel, Politoed, Gyarados, and Azumarill. Ferrothorn can even set up Stealth Rock, which hurt a fair amount of Volcarona's counters. Infernape can also work well, since it is able to get rid of Pokemon like Blissey, Chansey, Heatran, Dragonite, Salamence, and Landorus.

Counters

Stealth Rock is a major enemy to Volcarona. If Stealth Rock is on the field when Volcarona switches in, Volcarona loses half of its health, making it much less threatening to the opposing team. Spikes and Toxic Spikes can hurt Volcarona, but Stealth Rock puts a big dent in its health. Special walls, like Blissey or Chansey usually can wall Volcarona. However, Volcarona can set up on Blissey or Chansey if it is running the Chesto-Rest Quiver Dance Sweeper set. Heatran is a decent counter to Volcarona because it takes little or no damage from Volcarona's STAB moves. Tentacruel is perhaps an even better counter than Heatran because Tentacruel has the bulk to take most of Volcarona's attacks, and it can strike Volcarona with super-effective Water attacks. Politoed is a big threat to Volcarona, as its Drizzle ability can usually stop Volcarona from sweeping. Jellicent is a good counter as well, not really fearing any of Volcarona's attacks and resisting Volcarona's STAB moves. Gyarados, Dragonite, Salamence, and Chandelure also resist Volcarona's STAB moves, but they need to watch out for Hidden Power Rock. In terms of checks, anything that is faster than Volcarona and has strong physical moves will generally be a threat. In Sand, Excadrill out-speeds any Volcarona that has boosted once, and can demolish Volcarona with Earthquake or Rock Slide. Other good checks are Garchomp, Starmie, Terrakion, and Landorus, which all have the ability to out-speed Volcarona and significantly damage it. Azumarill is also a great check to Volcarona, as its powerful Aqua Jet will almost always force Volcarona to switch out.

Opinion

Volcarona can be a major threat in this metagame. It has access to a great stat-boosting move in Quiver Dance, and it has the moves to hit nearly everything for decent damage at the least. Volcarona also has great sweeping stats, in particular a high Special Attack stat, and an acceptable Speed stat. Volcarona's main downfall is Stealth Rock, but if you can find a way around that, Volcarona can have an easy time sweeping opposing teams.

MikeDecIsHere
04-29-2011, 03:37 PM
you don't really need the link for the old analysis. It really isn't all too necessary as long as you credit him.

first off, for the Bulky Set, the Nature should be Bold, not timid. Second, mention how this variant of Volcanroa needs to be used on Sun Teams, for Morning Sun and to make up for the power loss with Fiery Dance. I would also consider slashing Fire Blast with Fiery Dance, since odds are you will be getting multiple boosts up with this set.

Second, a Chesto-Rest set needs to be added. It is a better set than the Bulky Volcanroa set because you are able to get a few dances up, heal up to full, and remove any status ailments that might plague you like paralysis or toxic.

lapras6666
04-29-2011, 03:39 PM
What about a scarf Volcarona? It would outspeed a lot of threats and ohko them (similar to scarf gengar ;))

MikeDecIsHere
04-29-2011, 03:44 PM
No one would use a Scarfed Pokemon that's 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Also why in the world would you use a Scarf set when you have Quiver Dance, which is arguably one of the best stat-boosting moves in the game?

steel dragons
04-29-2011, 07:20 PM
For the Chesto-Rest set, what spread would be used?

Also, Lapras, while scarfing Volcarona may seem like a good idea, its really not, as its 4X weakness to SR kills it, unlike scarfed Gengar.

steel dragons
05-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Ok, this analysis is ready to be QC checked.

I have a question though: what is the best spread for the Chesto-Rest set? I just feel that it should be more defensive, yet not as defensive as the Bulky Quiver Dancer set.

MikeDecIsHere
05-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Remove Lum Berry from the Chesto Rest set. It's Chesto Rest for a reason, and Lum, although seeming superior, actually ruins it.

http://i54.tinypic.com/wbax50.png

QC approval (1/3)

Dimes
05-28-2011, 11:39 PM
No one would use a Scarfed Pokemon that's 4x weak to Stealth Rock. Also why in the world would you use a Scarf set when you have Quiver Dance, which is arguably one of the best stat-boosting moves in the game?

Uh so you don't waste a turn setting up? Although I'd be against using such a thing though, it could be used with Spin support.

Eos
05-29-2011, 06:01 AM
Not necessary, but you could throw in Hitmontop in the teammates section because he can be a great spinner-partner. Then also for other reasons like his Fighting-type moves for Volcs. 4x weakness to the Rock-type. Intimidate also is a very good thing to have to pair up with Volc. due to his bad Defense, and sometimes you just can't use a turn to set-up. Priority is also great, yada yada yada, you know. lol :p

steel dragons
06-02-2011, 09:53 PM
Ok, I'm adding in Hitmontop to the teammates section, thanks to Eos. I also removed Lum Berry from the Chesto-Rest set, courtesy of Mike. I'm not adding in choice scarf yet, as it just doesn't seem to fit Volcarona. Dimes, you do have a point about not setting up, but its 4X weakness to SR ruins it.

I do appreciate all of your suggestions, and I do consider all of them when I add or remove stuff from my analyses.

DC
06-03-2011, 06:08 AM
A Timid nature should be used to outspeed certain Pokemon

either name the pokemon or remove this since its completely subjective and useless information. slash hp ice on the LO set since it hits dnite/mence harder than hp rock. I think scarf is a terrible idea, like, really dimes? 4x weakness to sr and weak to spikes/toxic spikes. even though i dont like your descriptions i dont think thats my job here so w/e. do the changes and ill QC approve this.

steel dragons
06-03-2011, 05:20 PM
Ok, thanks DC, I'll mention HP Ice in the first set.

Also, I might look into if Volcarona really needs a Timid nature. Ironically enough, there are actually only a few base 100 Pokemon that run max speed nowadays, so maybe Volcarona doesn't need the Timid nature.

Dimes
06-09-2011, 09:52 PM
either name the pokemon or remove this since its completely subjective and useless information. slash hp ice on the LO set since it hits dnite/mence harder than hp rock. I think scarf is a terrible idea, like, really dimes? 4x weakness to sr and weak to spikes/toxic spikes. even though i dont like your descriptions i dont think thats my job here so w/e. do the changes and ill QC approve this.

It's not terrible with spin support or lategame.

DC
06-09-2011, 11:31 PM
qc 2/3

http://i54.tinypic.com/wbax50.png

steel dragons
06-10-2011, 02:50 AM
Ok, one more QC to go.

Also, everyone, what are your opinions on Choice Scarf? I know that some of us have mentioned conflicting opinions on this. On one hand, having a scarfer that is 4X weak to Stealth Rock is really bad, and also Volcarona has a bad physical defense stat. On the other hand, with spin support, anything that has 135 base special attack and base 100 speed can be a good scarfer. What are your thoughts?

MikeDecIsHere
06-10-2011, 03:23 AM
Don't use a Choice Scarf set....not even a question

DC
06-10-2011, 05:42 AM
+Ciele: Scarf volcarona is a terrible idea.

I second, third and fourth this sentence.

Lovat
06-10-2011, 10:30 AM
+Ciele: Scarf volcarona is a terrible idea.

I second, third and fourth this sentence.

If it's that much of an issue then put it in Other options.
But really are we seriously wondering whether to give this a Choice Scarf set?

steel dragons
06-10-2011, 09:31 PM
Personally, I think that choice scarf on Volcarona is a bad idea. However, some people on here apparently think otherwise, which is why I posed the question in the first place. Usually, scarfers are meant to switch in multiple times into battle to revenge kill opponents, and Volcarona will be hard pressed to do that with SR commonly on the field.

Dimes
06-11-2011, 06:17 AM
Personally, I think that choice scarf on Volcarona is a bad idea. However, some people on here apparently think otherwise, which is why I posed the question in the first place. Usually, scarfers are meant to switch in multiple times into battle to revenge kill opponents, and Volcarona will be hard pressed to do that with SR commonly on the field.

I know I was fatman but that's just offensive.

steel dragons
06-11-2011, 04:25 PM
I know I was fatman but that's just offensive.

How is this offensive?

Anyway, I might mention choice scarf in other options.

lapras6666
06-12-2011, 06:58 PM

Nah, now I agree with you guys.

Seth Vilo
07-27-2011, 03:53 PM
Hello again!! The-most-awful-vanishing-person-ever is back to pipe in for Volcarona.

The best set and spread that I've used for Volcarona is the following:

Volcarona@ Chesto Berry
144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
0 Atk IV (for confusion damage)
-Quiver Dance
-Rest
-Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz

Here's the explanation for the EV's, which are really close to the Smogon standard for ChestoRest:

-144 HP: This is to add as much bulk as possible for taking hits while you set up, as well as withstanding Mach Punches and Bullet Punches and such after you've set you and Rested. It makes it easy to eat all kinds of special moves, such as taking 68.0%-81.3% from a max SpA Modest Rotom-W after one Quiver Dance. You usually can squeeze in another before they hit you with that Pump after switching in (happens too many times for me), which would make you instead take 51.9%-61.1%. It's amazing. It also makes you hit an odd HP number, letting you switch into Stealth Rock twice with 1 HP left.

-252 SpA: Do I need to explain this? Makes the moth hurt stuff. Really good. Yeah.

-112 Spe: The Smogon set is 96 Spe, which lets you outspeed Scarf Terrrakion at +2. Mine does that, and allows you to outrun base 130's at +1. Not that they're really used anymore, but I want to be able to slap that stupid Aerodactyl if I'm ever to see one before I eat a Rock Slide. Just as a reference, a +1 Bug Buzz, the most effective attack against said Aerodactyl, only does 51.0%-63.6%, but I still wanna hit it if I ever see one and need to. That, and if I only can get in one Quiver Dance before I start sweeping, I KNOW a Thunder Wave Jolteon will show its face. Just me being paranoid.

Other points are that I much prefer Fiery Dance for the 100% accuracy, and the ability to pseudo-set-up with that 50% chance for a SpA boost. It helps a lot, and I've lost too many times to a Fire Blast miss. I also want to add that Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel or Scolipede (both of whom I've used, and both of whom are quite effective) are amazingly awesome for this particular set, as it turns Blizssey/Chansey, Jellicent, Quagsire, and other things that think they can stall you into total set-up fodder. Not to mention Rapid Spin. This is better than the normal offensive set for a Sand team, as with Rest, the residual damage isn't as much of a death sentence, allowing you to use Excadrill as your Rapid Spinner to great effect. A weather note is that this Volcarona also puts ENORMOUS pressure on the rare opposing Sun team, and can still sweep in rain by abusing the SpD boosts and spamming Bug Buzz on everything but Ferrothorn and Scizor and friends.

Volcarona is one of my all-time favorites, and has been on about every team of mine for the past few months. Since I'm here, I'm piping in with my experience using it.

Noahelativ
07-28-2011, 12:57 AM
Lots of different sets, all having their own positives. Thank you.

Noahelativ
07-28-2011, 12:58 AM
Hello again!! The-most-awful-vanishing-person-ever is back to pipe in for Volcarona.

The best set and spread that I've used for Volcarona is the following:

Volcarona@ Chesto Berry
144 HP / 252 SpA / 112 Spe
Modest (+SpA, -Atk)
0 Atk IV (for confusion damage)
-Quiver Dance
-Rest
-Fiery Dance / Fire Blast
-Bug Buzz

Here's the explanation for the EV's, which are really close to the Smogon standard for ChestoRest:

-144 HP: This is to add as much bulk as possible for taking hits while you set up, as well as withstanding Mach Punches and Bullet Punches and such after you've set you and Rested. It makes it easy to eat all kinds of special moves, such as taking 68.0%-81.3% from a max SpA Modest Rotom-W after one Quiver Dance. You usually can squeeze in another before they hit you with that Pump after switching in (happens too many times for me), which would make you instead take 51.9%-61.1%. It's amazing. It also makes you hit an odd HP number, letting you switch into Stealth Rock twice with 1 HP left.

-252 SpA: Do I need to explain this? Makes the moth hurt stuff. Really good. Yeah.

-112 Spe: The Smogon set is 96 Spe, which lets you outspeed Scarf Terrrakion at +2. Mine does that, and allows you to outrun base 130's at +1. Not that they're really used anymore, but I want to be able to slap that stupid Aerodactyl if I'm ever to see one before I eat a Rock Slide. Just as a reference, a +1 Bug Buzz, the most effective attack against said Aerodactly, only does 51.0%-63.6%, but I still wanna hit it if I ever see one and need to. That, and if I only can get in one Quiver Dance before I start sweeping, I KNOW a Thunder Wave Jolteon will show its face. Just me being paranoid.

Other points are that I much prefer Fiery Dance for the 100% accuracy, and the ability to pseudo-set-up with that 50% chance for a SpA boost. It helps a lot, and I've lost too many times to a Fire Blast miss. I also want to add that Toxic Spikes from Tentacruel or Scolipede (both of whom I've used, and both of whom are quite effective) are amazingly awesome for this particular set, as it turns Blizssey/Chansey, Jellicent, Quagsire, and other things that think they can stall you into total set-up fodder. Not to mention Rapid Spin. This is better than the normal offensive set for a Sand team, as with Rest, the residual damage isn't as much of a death sentence, allowing you to use Excadrill as your Rapid Spinner to great effect. A weather note is that this Volcarona also puts ENORMOUS pressure on the rare opposing Sun team, and can still sweep in rain by abusing the SpD boosts and spamming Bug Buzz on everything but Ferrothorn and Scizor and friends.

Volcarona is one of my all-time favorites, and has been on about every team of mine for the past few months. Since I'm here, I'm piping in with my experience using it.

How about a morning sun instead of rest?

Seth Vilo
07-28-2011, 04:43 AM
Morning Sun is far too unreliable outside of Drought support. Even then, Sand and Rain are Waaaaaay to common to make it really worth it. It also doesn't remove nasty status inflicted by opposing Jellicent, Blissey/Chansey and friends. The Defensive set listed with Drought Ninetales (or Groudon if you're possessed enough to use this in Ubers) is the only set that should really be running Morning Sun, since it's built to abuse it. ChestoRest is built to just boost as much as possible, Rest to get 100% recovered with no status (Thunder Wave from Ferro, Toxic from various walls like Jelli, Bliss/Chans, Gastrodon, etc...) and blow the opposition to Kingdom Come.

Noahelativ
07-28-2011, 07:30 PM
Very true. I suppose my mind was thinking more of the defensive set that was originally posted rather than yours. In your case, rest would be the appropriate move. Thanks for explaining.

steel dragons
07-28-2011, 09:32 PM
Ok, thanks for your thoughts Seth and Noah! I really appreciate your comments and compliments. I'll be sure to edit the chesto-rest set sometime soon.

Seth Vilo
07-28-2011, 11:19 PM
My pleasure, me amigo! Piping in for share-time with my moth experience, as well as slowly phasing myself back into being here, cause I suck.

SilentDreams
10-17-2011, 05:16 PM
Just updated this. Can someone look over the sets and content to make sure it's ok? Also, Steel, do you want to write an Opinion section for this?

steel dragons
10-18-2011, 06:45 PM
Ok, I'll add the opinion section.

Also, i believe that the content is fine; if there is anything, I'll change it.

EDIT: Added in an opinion section, and removed a mention of Garchomp.

SilentDreams
10-18-2011, 07:47 PM
Beautiful! I did a quick grammar edit on the opinion section. It sounds like everything else is looking good so I will sticky.