PDA

View Full Version : Smogon's RU Tier

Lovat
06-05-2011, 11:41 PM
Well Smogon have created a new tier.
The Smogon thread (http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3448932)
RU = Rarely Used

It's a new tier that's been put in between UU and NU.
Along with Ubers and OU Pokemon, these are the UU Pokemon that aren't allowed in the tier.

Victini
Kyurem
Hitmontop
Arcanine
Donphan
Chansey
Heracross
Zapdos
Nidoking
Vulpix
Mew
Flygon
Slowbro
Empoleon
Milotic
Sawsbuck
Abomasnow
Suicune
Espeon
Deoxys-D
Kingdra
Roserade
Azelf
Cobalion
Celebi
Mismagius
Staraptor
Mamoswine
Registeel
Snorlax
Escavalier
Weavile
Nidoqueen
Houndoom
Dusclops
Froslass
Bisharp
Sigilyph
Xatu
Jolteon
Togekiss
Ambipom
Spiritomb
Victreebel
Shaymin
Tangrowth
Azumarill
Charizard
Rotom-H
Zoroark
Hippopotas
Raikou
Crobat
Aerodactyl

The only auto-weather user in RU is Snover.
Cresselia and Wobbuffet are in RU. So are Umbreon, Swellow, Clefable, Quagsire, Alakazam, Weezing, Rotom-C, Venomoth, Gorebyss, Uxie, Moltres, Yanmega and Smeargle.

I actually think that the tier looks a lot like last gen UU. I can also see Eviolite users being popular in this tier, and there are a lot of SR weak Pokemon. Sandslash and Claydol are probably going to be common by providing SR and Rapid Spin. I can also see Crustle setting up hazards.
There are definitely going to be some Hail and Baton Pass shenanigans in this tier.

Discuss. Share your opinions.
I actually think it might have been wise to have let the UU tier settle for another month before launching this tier. I don't think it makes too much of a difference though.

MikeDecIsHere
06-06-2011, 07:28 AM
This tier is going to be interesting. I agree that it might have been a tad too soon to make this tier, but then again, establishing another tier is never a bad thing, since it was more likely than not going to happen anyway.

Offense:
Smash-Pass is going to be HUGH, being a suspect in UU. Gorebyss is going to be quite popular in the upcoming weeks. Venomoth is also going to love this tier. Quiver Dance makes Venomoth very frightening. Smeargle is probably also going to become a Baton Pass Pokemon, since it is still the only Pokemon with the ability to pass off Ingrain. Zam is kind of underwhelming, since it is a glass cannon. Rotom-C is the only viable Rotom form outside of Hail, but with Snover being the only Auto-Weather Pokemon in this tier, Rotom-F could become quite popular with Blizzard spam. Swellow is just a monster in general, especially with Staraptor gone.

Defense:
HOLY ******* **** CRESS IS IN THIS TIER. Cresselia in RU is probably going to be the central basis for all defensive teams in this tier. This means that Toxic will more likely than not become more popular in order to try to break this thing. In terms of Physical Walls, it finally looks like Quagsire will shine here, although I personally use this thing in my OU teams. Sandslash and Claydol are pretty solid defensive Pokemon with the ability to set up SR and Spin away hazards. Claydol will most likely become the more popular spinner, not taking any damage from Spikes or risking Poison from Toxic Spikes. Wobbuffett will also probably get some usage in this tier if it isn't banned in the next suspect round. Weezing is a pretty solid physical wall with access to Clear Smog, but it gets absolutely wrecked by almost any special attack. Umbreon might actually be viable in this tier, with the ability to set up and pass off Curses.

Some "unknown" yet threatening Pokemon:

Lilligant: This thing is a monster. Quiver Dance/ Sleep Powder/ Petal Dance/ HP Rock or Fire can threaten almost every Pokemon in the RU metagame in one way, shape, or form.

Amoonguss: The only Pokemon with access to Spore in RU. While its much more viable in VGCs, Amoonguss is actually a pretty solid wall, capable of usually taking a hit and incapacitating one of the opponent's Pokemon.

Durant: This thing hits like a freaking truck. A very underrated Pokemon, with a nice combination in Hustle and Hone Claws.

Other threats I don't feel like commenting on:

Gallade, Omastar, Dugtrio, Sharpedo, Blastoise, Sceptile, Porygon-Z, Dusknoir, Cofagrigus, Krookodile, Scyther, Lanturn.

Also, LOL CHARIZARD IS UU

lapras6666
06-06-2011, 03:29 PM
I agree, there's gonna be a lot of Baton Pass (Gorebyss, Venomoth...) but guys, you need to remember that Quagsire is on the tier....
Hail, even with Rotom-F, will probably still be uncommon because of Cress's recovery with Moonlight.
Inb4 Swellow gets banned from RU. It so looks like a monster.

PS: Alakazam is a actually quite threatning on this tier, because it learns HP Fire, and Fire is probably the best offensive typing on this tier. Something like Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball and HP Fire would hit a lot of threats on this tier.

DDwhiscash
06-06-2011, 05:51 PM
Finally BL2 is alive. I think I might actually want to play now.

Dimes
06-06-2011, 08:12 PM
Smash-Pass is going to be HUGH

I vote that we ban this Hugh character immediately.

Also, I don't know how Cresselia will be when Krookodile, Honchkrow and NP PZ exist, but having a Gallade counter is nice. I think that Prankster Murkrow will be way more of a threat now. I might make an offensive team with this to **** up the opponent. It's also able to draw against Wobbufett, so that's cool. Also interested in seeing what Honchkrow can do in the tier, with its awesome mixed stats and access to Thunder Wave.

Funny thing is, I think that this metagame might be more balanced than OU.

MikeDecIsHere
06-06-2011, 08:32 PM
I agree, there's gonna be a lot of Baton Pass (Gorebyss, Venomoth...) but guys, you need to remember that Quagsire is on the tier....
Hail, even with Rotom-F, will probably still be uncommon because of Cress's recovery with Moonlight.
Inb4 Swellow gets banned from RU. It so looks like a monster.

PS: Alakazam is a actually quite threatning on this tier, because it learns HP Fire, and Fire is probably the best offensive typing on this tier. Something like Psychic, Focus Blast, Shadow Ball and HP Fire would hit a lot of threats on this tier.

Quagsire can't really take any special hits coming from Gorbyss and Venomoth...

Hail reduces Moonlight's recovery to 25%, so who would that make it less popular?

Zam with HP Fire hits.....what in this tier? The only notable thing I see it hitting is Durant.

Also, I completely forgot about Murkrow. Is Murkrow the only Prankster user in this tier? Aside from Cotonee

Dimes
06-06-2011, 10:35 PM
SOmething interesting that I'll note is that the metagame may be more revolved around Dark/Psychic/Fighting cores, as they seem to quite stable in this game. Also, even though Snover is present, Rain is still as large a threat as ever. Cresselia and Claydol are probably going to be primary walls for the game, and threats like Sharpedo and Feraligatr will hit like a truck in Rain.

DC
06-07-2011, 02:27 AM
RU is horrible. the best way to play it is not play it at all.

thats all

D-Glaceon
06-10-2011, 04:34 PM
Cress + Heal bell Umbreon

Dimes
06-11-2011, 12:23 AM
RU is bad because there's not many good people who play it.

And oh my god Smashpass is so broken. Only real counter is Overhead Throw Poliwrath. And that's if the opponent isn't using Haunter.