PDA

View Full Version : Thundurus Discussion

DC
07-10-2011, 04:29 AM
Thundurus

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs71/f/2011/043/c/8/thundurus_v_3_by_xous54-d39etep.png

http://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/type/electric.gifhttp://www.serebii.net/pokedex-rs/type/flying.gif

Thundurus is pokemon that was introduced in GenV as a part of the legendary 'genie' trio. It has a great movepool allowing him to get perfect coverage, access to stat boosting moves like Nasty Plot and Agility and a great ability in prankster that allows it to have a +1 priority thunder wave/substitute/taunt/rain dance etc.

So, thundurus is a polemic pokemon with a lot of people wanting it to be banned from competitive play. It almost got banned last suspect round but this sneaky genie escaped it by 2 votes!! In my opinion it is in fact 'broken' because of all the reasons mention above and the fact that it had about 2 counters (which arent if he happens to run grass knot).

Anyway discuss this and excuse my bad english

Thundurus Analysis: http://teamuber.net/dex/thundurus

http://img803.imageshack.us/img803/9463/thundorus.jpg

Tony32
07-10-2011, 04:36 AM
Your English isn't bad. This Thundurus cat is a monster, i've not experienced another set other than it's NP set, and you have to be very careful playing around Thundurus. Tyrnitar can't do much to this monster, and sp.D Jirachi needs to hope Body Slam paralyze it.

EspyOwner
07-10-2011, 09:48 AM
I've faced both NP and Twave/Sub NP sets, and honestly, they're all monstrous. The most annoying one in my opinion is the NP/Twave set, simply because it has a 25% chance to completely destroy some of its checks (Such as scarfed Rotom-W/etc.)

Dimes
07-10-2011, 01:30 PM
Why the hell wouldn't you ban it?

Darkrai can get checked so unban it.

EspyOwner
07-10-2011, 02:21 PM

Was that directed towards me?

If it was, I'm actually all for banning it ._., I was just saying which set I found the most annoying.

Mien
07-11-2011, 08:37 PM

Best argument ever

Dimes
07-12-2011, 12:58 AM
Best argument ever

Top quality post.

Ciele
07-12-2011, 12:28 PM
Top quality post.
It was still better than the one that he was quoting 9.9

Dimes
07-12-2011, 01:43 PM
It was still better than the one that he was quoting 9.9

I forgot sarcasm never applies on the internet.

But no basically the logic behind not banning Thunderus was "it can be checked".

EspyOwner
07-12-2011, 02:59 PM

But no basically the logic behind not banning Thunderus was "it can be checked".

That was also the argument behind not banning Mence in 4th gen. Oh, wait...

LOL JK WEAVILE COUNTERS IT LOLOLOL

Ciele
07-12-2011, 06:36 PM

I know what you meant. But there are many Pokemon with no "true" counters; Pokemon that can only be "checked", even including some that languish in the depths of RU.

Your argument for Thundurus being banworthy is just that it has no proper counters, instead of it being about what Thundurus actually does that makes it broken.

Dimes
07-13-2011, 01:04 AM
I know what you meant. But there are many Pokemon with no "true" counters; Pokemon that can only be "checked", even including some that languish in the depths of RU.

Your argument for Thundurus being banworthy is just that it has no proper counters, instead of it being about what Thundurus actually does that makes it broken.

I'll admit that it's the only argument that I mentioned, but it's not the only reason why I think that it is uber worthy. Outspeeding over three quarters of the metagame, having great coverage and being damn near unpredictable puts it up there too. That said though, the main set being uncounterable is a very large reason.

Zekerom
07-13-2011, 01:50 AM
Thundurus is a beast. It has access to thunderbolt + hp ice + focus blast. Theres not much pokemon that can resist that combo. Prankster is annoying. Thunder wave + taunt, to paralyze swift swimmers and stop common setuper's and status freaks, such as Ferrothorn, Skarmory, Blissey, and Dragonite. It should be banned by now, but luckily escaped the last voting as DC said. Hopefully it gets banned soon, its too good for OU.

Ducky
07-13-2011, 04:01 AM
I agree that Thundurus is monstrous, but I don't know if he should be sent to Ubers.
Reason being that he's pretty fragile. Most Thundurus' run the standard NP set, which you can outplay most of the time without breaking your back. The NP Thunduruses usually don't run grass knot because they want wider coverage, so Quagsire could be used to beat it, but like DC said, if they do, then it's another story lol.

Though the NP set isn't bad at all. In fact, it's extremely threatening a lot of the time, but in my opinion, the Sub set is much harder to play around and is much more menacing.

Lavityranitar
07-13-2011, 08:12 AM
Thundurus can do so much more than the NP sets, don't forget. As Ducky mentioned, the Sub set can be annoying, and it's Antilead set(s) are very hard to get around. I am, in no way, shape, or form disreguarding the fact that NP set is threataning and awesome.

It isn't Ubers ready in my opinion. though.