PDA

View Full Version : Pokemon Team Questions

MetalHead
08-18-2011, 10:03 PM
Ok I dont know if i am just really a noob (possibilty) or just dont know, but my question is when you build a party of pokemon is there certain rules or guidlines that you need to follow. I have seen tiers and restricted/ banned lists and i am just really confused now on if i am doing it right or not.
I am sorry if this is in the wrong thread too, this seemed like the most viable one.
Thank you for anyone who can enlighten me.

Tony32
08-19-2011, 01:15 AM
It depends on what tier you're following, and yes they're are specific rules.

In the OU metagame, you can't use Ubers, you can use anything under ubers.
UU metagame, you can't use OU Pokemon.
RU, you can't use UU.
In the Ubers meta, you can use anything, but it's best for you to use ubers.
If you want a tier list, then look up "smogon 5th gen tier list" on google. IF you're not a fan of smogon, use PO tier list.

Hope this helps

MetalHead
08-19-2011, 01:28 AM
Ok so i think i get what you are saying about that. I know (not all of it) that Alakazam and Gengar are in the OU (overused???? right?) tier so then i can only use them in the OU Metagame. But a pokemon like Nintales which UU (under used?) i can use in OU but it would be better suited in UU but i couldnt use Nintales in the RU tier.... right? That is what you are getting at right?
And my next question is i heard of a NU (never used?) tier. What about them? where do they fall?
So i have got to find what tier i want to play in and then get my Favs from that.
Thank you that helps alot.

Tony32
08-19-2011, 01:48 AM
In the 5th generation metagame, Gengar is OU, which is overused. Alakazam, i doubt it's overused because it's frail and has weak defenses. Ninetails is OU, you cannot use Ninetails in UU mainly because UU has banned Ninetails from it's tier mainly because of it's ability, drought. Drought brings permanent sun onto the field, pair it up with chlorophyll users, it's pretty deadly. Because of this, ninetails is OU.

NU is never used, i'm not quite sure what's in that tier due to my inexperience in playing NU. You cannot use UU Pokemon in NU.

Think of it like this.

Uber > OU > UU > RU > NU > LC

http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=3449511

There's a tier list.

Hope this helps. To further your Pokemon skills, you can get a tutor, you have to find someone who is willing to tutor you, there is a lot to learn, so you should be prepared for that.