PDA

View Full Version : Gengar Build

Gengar
09-05-2011, 08:27 PM
So I have been toying around with a possible Gengar build that I would enjoy anyones thoughts on, I just got back into pokemon so I'm not sure what EV's are (saw them on teamubers wonderful pokedex) So here it is

http://media.pldh.net/pokemon/gen2/crystal/094.gif
Gengar

Nature:
Modest

Item:
Focus Sash
OR
Wide Lens

Moves:
Hypnosis
Dream Eater
Shadow Ball
Explosion

Opinion/Reasoning:
So I designed this Gengar build to function as a sweeper or annoyer, with the ability to at least make a dent in any lead. Hypnosis+Dream Eater is designed as the stall set, with an element of restoration. If you favor this side, Wide lens might be better to make hypnosis more accurate. Shadow Ball is for standard Gengar sweeping. Explosion +or- Focus Sash is to kill leads that would either normaly one shot gengar OR have gengar low on HP. This is intended to make a dent in or kill pokemon that would normaly triumph against gengar.

So thoughts/help would be MORE than welcome!!! Im new to this ;)

pokemonisfun
09-06-2011, 11:44 PM
You have a great grip on how Pokemon works already since you are new to this, but this set just would not work.

Firstly a modest nature is just not good, you lose the power to outspeed everything from max speed Zapdos (base 100) to max speed to Infernape (base 108) to even speed tie with opposing Gengar.

Next both items are next to useless in such a game where their are so many offensive teams, such a fast paced metagame. Focus Sash is going to be renedered useless the majority of the time with Stealth Rocks and Sandstorm being common. Wide Lens merely makes Hypnosis hit more accurately but it still has a measly 66% hit chance, less than even Focus Blast. It does nothing to help the other moves out. A miss is going to more often than not cause Gengar to faint due to its weak defenses.

The moveset does not work. Even in the case Hypnosis does hit, the opponent will likley just switch out so Dream Eater won't be able to hit anything. Explosion is extremely weak, especially on a minus attack nature and no item boost, not being able to hurt special walls like Vaproeon or Blissey.

You say this is intended to kill your usual Gengar counters. I think a more useful set would be something with Substitute/Shadow Ball/Focus Blast. Using substitute blocks status and allows you to scout, Chansey cannot touch you while things like Scarftar expecting to be able to outspeed and trap you are met with a Focus Blast after breaking your Substitute. The last move can be Hidden Power Fire to eliminate Scizcor and other Fire weak Pokemon more efficiently. Pain Split also works well allowing to you stall out Blissey.

Wanting to beat the metagame, killing Gengar counters and disrupting stuff is a great idea, but I just do not think this set can achieve that.

Gengar
09-07-2011, 08:56 PM
Ok thank you! You input has helped alot! Excelent post!

hmmmmm ok looks like a timid nature would help outspeed, and replace modest nature thats an easy fix

Your point about the items is true, and if hypnosis misses Gengar is likely doomed..... Do you have any suggestions of a better item to use with Gengar??

Your movepool ideas are also great and a lot less gimicky than mine for sweeping thank you!

Once again great post thanks man!

pokemonisfun
09-07-2011, 09:24 PM
Now that i re-read my post I have to apologize I think I seemed a bit too harsh .-.
The Gengar sets I mentioned are not only the ones that make the most sense though, they are the most common too so I think you would find more sucess in the old standards. Life Orb is generally the best item to use with Gengar, giving it a much desired power boost since 80 base power Shadow Ball is pretty weak. It can for instance secure the OHKO on Infernape after Life Orb recoil and Stealth Rock. I don't think think i should have completely berated you for using Hypnosis since if it does hit something, that Pokemon is going to be incapitated for a long while. Even Sleep Absorbers hate getting slept, Rotom for instance would only have a 1/3 chance to kill Gyardos if it uses Sleep Talk; the opponent will be in trouble if Rotom is their main Gyardos counter. Timid is almost always going to be the best nature since Gengar relies on out speeding stuff to evade hits.

Gengar
09-13-2011, 10:18 PM
This is true, speed is the key to Gengar... Ill just use one of the stock sets! Thank you for the help! :)