PDA

View Full Version : What ever happened to this core?

DDwhiscash
10-05-2011, 02:27 AM
I remember a month after the 5th Gen meta-game had just started. There was a core concisting of 3 Pokemon that was raged about ages on end. I herd praise after praise and saw many people complain about how frustrating it was when used in the right hands. The core was pretty simple, all it consisted of was: Zapdos, Ferrothorn and Jellycent. Let's take a closer look at core.
Strengths/Appealing points

Resists every attack type in the game
Raises hell to all weather types
Counters a large amount of the OU metagame
Good synergey overall and with Zapdos' new Utility in terms of Volt Switch adds for more chances to counter or set up entry hazzards
Meshed well with all weather types bar Drought

Using this team in the current metagame that lacks the ever dominant Blaziken and Garchomp. I've realized that it still works effectively and can shut down many who aren't prepared for the Trio. So I ask the community. Why do you think there has been a drastic user decline in this fabulous core. Any suggestions? Thoughts? Hypothesis? Do you have any experience using it that you would like to share?

Feel free to post. All suggestions towards the thread are welcome.
I'm having a hard time understanding what went wrong.

PSN_tainers14
10-05-2011, 08:17 PM
Firstly, I think this walling core would need Heatran as well, just so it can sponge victini like there's no tomorrow. And tbh, I never really liked this core, since I find it difficult to run Ferrothorn against an offensive teams since it's pretty easy to get an initiative against it, so I try to avoid using it. But the declination of Ferrothorn on teams has been pretty severe. It doesn't hold the top spot anymore which could be a good thing or bad thing. What is the most used walling combination now a days? (Haven't played competitive pokes in a while)

PokemonHunter
10-05-2011, 08:42 PM
I personally used this core and think its great. I use it in a rain team, and here is the team i use it with:
Politoed (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Drizzle
EVs: 168 HP / 84 SAtk / 255 Spd
Modest Nature (+SAtk, -Atk)
- Scald
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Toxic
- Focus Blast

Toxicroak (M) @ Black Sludge
Trait: Dry Skin
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Substitute
- Bulk Up
- Drain Punch
- Bullet Punch

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Trait: Pressure
EVs: 255 HP / 168 SDef / 84 Spd
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Roost
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
- Toxic

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Water Absorb
EVs: 255 HP / 255 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Scald
- Night Shade
- Will-O-Wisp

Ferrothorn (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 168 HP / 255 Def / 84 SDef
Bold Nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Protect
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic
- Leech Seed

Scizor (M) @ Choice Band
Trait: Technician
EVs: 255 Atk / 255 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Bullet Punch
- X-Scissor
- Superpower
- U-turn

of course, this team isnt the greatest, and there certainly are more teams this core can be used on, im just using the one i use and personally like

DragonLX
10-05-2011, 11:19 PM
From what I remember of the metagame, the effectiveness of the core reduced when people realized Thundurus is a sweeping machine, but hey, it still walls most of the metagame nicely except for Drought teams. But that's the problem. It only walls. It needs hardcore stall or a nice synergy with the other 3 slots for it to truly shine.

DDwhiscash
10-06-2011, 12:46 AM
Loving the feedback guys! Keep um coming! But has anyone ever tried using it a bit deferently? It may seem like a total gimmick. But running Curse Ferro, CM Jellycent and Specs/Scarf Zapdos or even Thunderus for this spot, could due a lot of damage due to the surprise factor. I've actually gotten a lot of chances to set up and dent with the Curse Ferro (really good Poke when used properly) . I'm still testing CM Jellycent out but it's had it's moments where it's shined. Lightning Rod Zappy needs to be released for this thing to be truly effective, but Thunderus buffers the offensive part of this core pretty well.

PSN_tainers14
10-06-2011, 07:05 PM
I hate stat boosting moves such as calm mind and curse. But I wouldn't mind trying out curse ferrothorn. I know for a fact cursethorn is good since one of my friend's swept me with it before. CM Jellicent lacks too much defense for me to consider using it. And Specs Zapdos will beocome huge when lightning rod is released. + 1 volt switch would really hurt.

Catalyst
10-07-2011, 10:57 PM
Looks like a nice core, I'm aware of Ferrocent, but Zapdos seems to add a lot to their synergy. I assume Specially Defensive is the set of choice for Zapdos, as Special Bulk can help it take down Volt Turn. DDWishcash is right on Curse Ferrothorn, it's a good mon if played right, and concealed until late game.

Neko
10-11-2011, 12:23 AM
I prefer to use Skarmory, Blissey, and Zapdos overall. Not saying that core is bad, it's awesome, but I like being able to send out my Blissey against a SpAttacker worry-free.