PDA

View Full Version : R4i SaveDongle

Kyohack
02-27-2012, 11:14 PM
My review of the R4i SaveDongle:

Background information:
First, I would like to extend a huge thankyou to the R4i Team for mailing me this sample of the R4i SaveDongle. At the time of writing, the latest firmware version is 1.2, and the latest software version is 1.3b. Before writing this review, I updated the firmware of the R4i SaveDongle. In general, the R4i SaveDongle allows you to backup and restore your DS, DSi and 3DS save files. This can be usefull for Pokemon gamers who want to edit their save file in Pokesav, and for other gamers who wish to share save files with each other. Upon release of the R4i SaveDongle, the R4i team has created a massive database where you can share your save file with others: http://r4i-sdhc.com/SaveDongle.asp

Physical description:
The R4i SaveDongle is an oblong shaped USB device. It is about twice as thick and about twice as wide as some of my other USB devices. However, this large size seems reasonable, considering that you can insert a 3DS cartridge into the R4i SaveDongle. The R4i SaveDongle has a green LED status light on top, which blinks when reading or writing to a game cartridge. An upgrade button is located on the right side of the R4i SaveDongle. The ability to upgrade the firmware of the R4i SaveDongle is an ingenious feature, because if there should ever be a compatibility issue for a specific game, then the R4i team can simply release a new firmware. When inserting a cartridge into the R4i SaveDongle, you must turn the cartridge upside down. This was rather confusing on the first use, but does not noticably impact the usability of the R4i SaveDongle. All of my DS and 3DS cartridges fit perfectly into the device, and it feels very similar to inserting a cartridge into a real DS console. Overall, the plastic mold seems to be quite durable.

Software description:
The R4i SaveDongle software is very simple and straightforward. There is a "Card to PC" button on the right, where you are prompted to choose a location on your computer where you want to put the save file. On the left, there is a "PC to Card" button where you are prompted to choose a file to write to a game cartridge. Below those buttons is a status bar to indicate the progress of reading or writing to a game cartridge. The R4i SaveDongle is hotswappable, so after creating a backup of a save, I can swap game cartridges, and begin another backup. The software also allows you to decrypt and re-encrypt 3DS saves, which makes it possible to edit 3DS saves. First, you select a 3DS save file, and then press "Save Key" to create a decryption key for that save file. Then you can press the "Decrypt" button. To re-encrypt a 3DS save file, simply select the save and the Key, and then press the "Encrypt" button. Encrypted 3DS save files can be written back to a game cartridge.

Compatibility:
So far, I have experienced perfect compatibility with my entire collection of DS, DSi, and 3DS games. All of them can be backed up and restored within a few minutes. Here is a list of the specific game cartridges that I have tested, and their results:

Pokemon Rumble Blast (3DS)
47 sec.
3 min. & 18 sec.

Ghost Recon (3DS)
13 sec.
47 sec.

Star Wars III (3DS)
12 sec.
54 sec.

Transformers 2 Decepticons (DS)
1 sec.
1 sec.

Metroid Prime Hunters (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 21 sec.

Metroid Prime First Hunt (DS)
1 sec.
1 sec.

Pokemon Ranger (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 22 sec.

Pokemon MD Time (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 26 sec.

Brain Age 2 (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 19 sec.

Pokemon Platinum (DS)
49 sec.
1 min. & 39 sec.

Pokemon Pearl (DS)
49 sec.
1 min. & 39 sec.

Pokemon MD Darkness (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 19 sec.

Pokemon Ranger 2 (DS)
24 sec.
1 min. & 18 sec.

Pokemon Diamond (DS)
54 sec.
1 min. & 39 sec.

Pokemon Ranger 3 (DS)
23 sec.
1 min. & 24 sec.

Pokemon White (DSi)
49 sec.
1 min. & 39 sec.

Pokemon SoulSilver (DS)
49 sec.
1 min. & 48 sec.

Conclusion:
For $20, the R4i SaveDongle is reasonably priced. I have experience with several homebrew programs and other peices of commercial hardware that backup game cartridges. I must admit that the R4i SaveDongle is the fastest and easiest solution that I have ever used. The software's feature to decrypt and re-encrypt 3DS save files is significantly more user friendly than other command-line programs that I have used.

Durability: 5/5
Physical design and style: 4/5
Software functionality: 5/5
Software design and style: 4/5
Compatibility: 5/5

eXcapiZm
04-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Great review Kyohack!

I recently bought a XploderDS, and for far it's rather lacklustre. Takes about 5-10 mins to transfer save files either way, and then I have to go convert the .gds file to a .sav before I can use it with PokeSav :(

So a couple of questions (and apologies if you've covered these and I missed them >.< )
1. What file format does the R4i save as?
2. Where's the best place to buy it? (can't find any on ebay)

Kyohack
04-09-2013, 02:42 PM
Great review Kyohack!

I recently bought a XploderDS, and for far it's rather lacklustre. Takes about 5-10 mins to transfer save files either way, and then I have to go convert the .gds file to a .sav before I can use it with PokeSav :(

So a couple of questions (and apologies if you've covered these and I missed them >.< )
1. What file format does the R4i save as?
2. Where's the best place to buy it? (can't find any on ebay)
The R4i saves files in raw format, and can be directly used with Pokesav. I would recommend purchasing the dongle from nds-card (http://www.nds-card.com/ProShow.asp?ProID=271).

Offspring
01-06-2014, 11:17 PM
I picked up one of the R4i Save Dongles and I've gotten it to work for StarFox 64, however I cannot get it to work for either my Pokemon White or Pokemon White 2 carts. Which firmware were you using? Did you ever run into an issue where it didn't show the name of the game, and it would kick back a 1kbyte save file?