PDA

View Full Version : Hi! I have a question regarding the rival of Black 2.

Kaizy
08-20-2012, 10:29 PM
So I started the game and played until you are supposed to fight your rival(Hugh?) for the first time. He doesn't fight me, and instead just says some blurb in Japanese and goes on his merry way. This has happened every time I have encountered him, and I have 6 badges now. The only time I have been able to battle him has been in the tournament, or in a 2-on-2 with him as a teammate. At first I thought he just doesn't battle you, then I looked at some guides and they say he battles you at all the points you encounter him at. Is this some sort of glitch or did I answer a question he asked wrong or something? This is really bothering me.

Tidus
08-21-2012, 04:08 AM
Hmm.. that is extremely weird. You should be able to battle him regardless. This is definitely a glitch.

Assuming you're playing a ROM:
Did you modify the ROM in any sort of way? Such as adding one of our patches or maybe a cheat-code?

Kaizy
08-21-2012, 07:25 AM
Yeah..it happened when I used one of the earlier patches(not-translation) that came out to allow R4/Cyclo compatibility within the first few days out the game coming out. After I got to around the 3rd badge I applied the patch from here, and it just continued to disallow me from fighting my rival.

Kind of a bummer...I wanted to merk him. The only reason I didn't start over was because I caught a shiny Magnemite.

Kyohack
08-21-2012, 12:15 PM
...After I got to around the 3rd badge I applied the patch from here, and it just continued to disallow me from fighting my rival.
That is likely to be your problem. When applying our translation patch, you need to use a clean and unmodified ROM. Otherwise, you will experience crashes and various glitches.

Kaizy
08-22-2012, 06:21 AM
No the problem happened before I applied the patch and I did use a clean rom for the patch. The problem happens both ways.

Kyohack
08-22-2012, 11:51 AM
No the problem happened before I applied the patch and I did use a clean rom for the patch. The problem happens both ways.
Perhaps your ROM was modified. I would recommend opening the ROM in a hex editor to calculate the checksum. Here are the MD5 checksums of clean ROMs:
Black2 = B2024575474C1BBC8BEC5D854FA51CAA
White2 = 617C7BA1C853EC8A1194DB913A6AF860

If you get different checksums, then you'll need to find a different ROM. (note: I can't give out ROM links, so please don't ask)