PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts of 5th gen?

Christian
06-09-2012, 11:04 AM
Well, the title kind of says it all, what do you think o' 5th Gen Pokémon?
It's great in my opinion however, nothing beats the classic!

Tuxy
06-09-2012, 11:41 AM
The only good thing about the 5th Gen. was the fact that you could use TMs more than one time (very useful for competitive battling, even tough I'm not into that).
The Pokémon just looked weird and it felt really awkward never having to really use an HM. Let's see if any of this gets better in B2/W2.

ShadowMr.L
06-09-2012, 12:20 PM
I've never played it. Nor have I seen any walkthroughs for it. (I'll be seeing SS's walkthrough with this little video series project I'm working on with watching it.) Anyway, I thought it was..very weird. I don't know much about the game, and the Pokemon just like Tux said look weird. I think some of them look like blue people in karate suits.

Tainers14
06-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Eh it's ok. Some 5th gen pokemon are really sketchy, bu some of them I really like. I think Whimsicott and Heatmor are incredible pokemon. but I can't stand ferrothorn or that pokemon that's based off trash.

Zachgoose
06-09-2012, 02:20 PM
I think the problem isn't with gen 5 itself, but the fact that they've been using the exact same formula for years and we've simply been getting older and able to realize it. At first, I hated the gen 5 Pokemon. But I learned to adapt and now I love them just as much as any other Pokemon (my avatar and sig are proof of this).

I can't find the comic, but one time I read a "What if Gen 1 and 5 Pokemon were switched?"

It had Pokemon like.... Grimer and Trubbish. They're both equally stupid now that you think about it, but being a first gen fan I loved Grimer.

Same for "stupid" names, like Seel and Krookodile. It's obvious where the name originates from and it doesn't give it a very original or appealing feel to it.

Gen 5 was more like a "reset" to the Pokemon series as a whole, which is why I don't exactly understand why many older fans are so opposed to it. It shares many comparisons with first gen, much more so than any other generation. It's almost a new era of Pokemon, and for those of you that haven't given Black and White a chance, I would very strongly recommend beating it at least once and keeping an open mind about it.

/thread.

BreeZaps
06-09-2012, 02:28 PM
I Love gen 5 snivy and dewott so cool! I think Zoua is sweet looking. I think Gen 5 IS THE BEST. :)

Zachgoose
06-09-2012, 03:04 PM
Yeah! Zorua and Snivy are so cute.

And Dewott is just plain awesome. McDonalds is giving away Pokemon toys at the moment, and I am considering going JUST for the Dewott toy. XP

But I mean, there are a lot of 5th gen Pokemon I don't like... such as the Conkeldurr line.. >.>

Shiningbolt
06-09-2012, 05:27 PM
Interesting argument, PimpMaster9000. I suppose there are some Pokemon that would get the same hate people push on 5th gen Pokemon. Since I started with Gen 1, I don't think any of those Pokemon look weird. However, the same goes for every other generation. I'd like to say this gen is just harder to get used to. I think we can get over it eventually.

Anyways, I really enjoyed the 5th gen games. It has some good music, reusable TMs were nice, not having to bring your HMs everywhere (I'm looking at you, Mt. Silver/Mt. Coronet) was great, seeing your rivals everywhere was a nice touch, along with the character development.
A sequel rather than a remake sounds great to me. I'm really looking forward to it.

Will
06-09-2012, 05:55 PM
I think Fifth Gen by far had the best story to date in the Pokemon series (even though the first two generations will always be my favorite). However, the actual Pokemon were mostly hit or miss depending on what you like and you can tell they're starting to run out of ideas for new pocket monsters. Still, it was a big step in the right direction and I can't wait to play Black and White 2!

XpL
06-09-2012, 06:07 PM
McDonalds is giving away Pokemon toys at the moment, and I am considering going JUST for the Dewott toy. XP
You visit McDonalds and Taco Bell so much you might as well own shares.

Although I don't think that promotion carried over to my country, rather sad about that. :/

Lunar Noctowl
06-09-2012, 09:40 PM
fun,satisfying and lotsa pokemon 4 pokedex.good job game designers

X!!
06-12-2012, 12:43 PM
5th gen is awesome

SFB
06-13-2012, 03:39 AM
The pokemon aren't amazing, but what you expect after 493 Pokemon. I loved the games stories because they felt very different than most games

ILIEKPIE
06-21-2012, 12:04 AM
3rd gen will always be my fav but i dont mind the 5th gen pokemon. Like hydreigon or haxorus those are some amazing pokemon that i would strongly reccomend for ingame. Also the pokemon are unique to say the least with most of their typing. Like volcarona being bug and fire and hydreigon being dark and dragon. Overall i say it comes third to gen 2 and 3

Triplewolf
06-21-2012, 01:41 AM
All together I personally liked 5th gen. It had the best story and well many will disagree I liked not having any of the old Pokemon. I went into the completely blind it felt like I was playing first gen for the first time again, but only better. My only problem was I didn't like a lot of the designs of the pokemon, but that is just my opinion. Also it was a lot better whole lot better than 4th gen was.

Umbrony
06-27-2012, 06:37 PM
Hrm, cities gotten bigger, new champ, rivals gym leaders... A lot better. XD

SonicMario777
06-27-2012, 09:09 PM
5th Gen is really awesome. It has so many new things and it feels much faster (in turns of battling and dialouge moving) then the previous generation of games. Very solid titles and I'm looking forward to the sequels.

poochipower
06-28-2012, 06:08 AM
it's more ariganal then 1st gen

Shadowknight
06-28-2012, 08:25 AM
5 generation was fine but then I got used to it.

gameguy1996
06-28-2012, 09:29 AM
I liked 5th generation it is not as bad as some people say.

KingAKhan
06-28-2012, 04:01 PM
Personally, I really like the 5th gen and I think it's a really cool one (very imaginative ;)) except for a few which I'd say were a bit too imaginative.......(**Vanillish**) :D

Patriot
06-28-2012, 04:11 PM
To be honest, the 5th generation pokemon look like a crossbreed of Digimon and a crazy dream you get after staying up all night on the internet. They are simply not as memorable as the other generations.

vulpixisawesome
06-28-2012, 11:25 PM
I didn't think that much of it. i'm not very old-school, but to tell the truth, I prefer 4th gen better. Of course, there are a bunch of pokemon from 5th gen that I like, Lillipup, Blitzle, Sawk (i hate how it looks but it's surprisingly useful), and Panpour/Simipour. I don't even like the starters, where as in all other pokemon games I find it hard to choose which starter because I loves them all.

Kamex
07-02-2012, 09:16 PM
This is my opinion. It is not meant for offending anyone, or starting any arguments! :3

I really think people should stop whinning how the 5th gen pokemon look terrible. I see nothing wrong with them. Pokemon is pokemon no matter how dumb the names are or how weird the pokemon look. It gets me mad when some people take a dump on GameFreak's face just because of one small thing that they don't agree with. Companies have their ups and downs. Look at the 3DS. They started pretty bad but they're standing up tall to release the wii - u. True nintendo fans stick to their company through thick and thin. I was rambling there but you get the point. xD

SuperSceptile
08-24-2012, 09:02 PM
sucks, never gonna play B/W again. I will play number 2 only because of different region pokemon.

SuperSceptile
08-24-2012, 09:05 PM
This is my opinion. It is not meant for offending anyone, or starting any arguments! :3

I really think people should stop whinning how the 5th gen pokemon look terrible. I see nothing wrong with them. Pokemon is pokemon no matter how dumb the names are or how weird the pokemon look. It gets me mad when some people take a dump on GameFreak's face just because of one small thing that they don't agree with. Companies have their ups and downs. Look at the 3DS. They started pretty bad but they're standing up tall to release the wii - u. True nintendo fans stick to their company through thick and thin. I was rambling there but you get the point. xD

DID YOU SAY THE 3DS IS BAD! OH NO!!! WRONG,WRONG,WONG,AND WRONG. yes it started out bad but it is actually pretty awesome. As for pokemon, eh I guess i was a little harsh on my last post but hey, I am gonna LOVE B/W2.

Dragonite
08-24-2012, 09:16 PM
I agree that other generations were better, but it's not as bad as most people like to say. It ACTUALLY HAD A PLOT (GSC/HGSS: "We are Team Rocket! We are going to take over the Radio Tower and bring back Giovanni! And what will we do after that? GameFreak doesn't have an answer to that, sorry." BW: "We are Team Plasma! We are an apparently insane group of animal rights activists who are going to take over Unova and make everyone release their Pokemon and RULE THE WORLD!!!"), it had its share of good Pokemon (everyone seems to love Hydreigon and Samurott and Volcarona, right?), it had reusable TMs (a few other people besides me have noticed this, apparently), the Dream World COMPLETELY changes the metagame (Blaziken and Politoed) . . . do I need to go on?

I'm going to get flamed for this, but what's so great about RBGY that makes everything afterwards look like $^*!? No Physical/Special split, extremely broken Psychic types, scores of things like Missingno. that can corrupt your save file, things like Grimer and Electrode for Pokemon . . .

Every generation has had problems, and Black and White don't have that many more than the rest.

Starry
09-03-2012, 05:13 AM
I love 5th gen. Its tied for my favorite gen. The pokemon are super creative and I love the story with N. I might add more to this on Black 2

Totodile
10-01-2012, 02:15 AM
I like 5 Gen. It honestly isn't that bad. The only main problem I can see with it that bothers me so much is the Pokemon in it. The rest of the problems with it are easily adaptable and I could live with. The story was great so the only problem is the pokemon.

Kyoits
10-03-2012, 11:13 PM
Just like GG I don't see anything wrong with 5th gen because pokemon are pokemon and the design is nothing to be complaining about or having issues with.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
10-04-2012, 12:48 AM
I have no problem with the 5th generation of the Pokemon series. If I was to order my favorite generation to least favorite generation, 5th generation would be in my top 3.

Shantae
10-08-2012, 01:30 PM
Aside from the Pokemon Design. 5th Generation is quite different than to the other generations. With a well improved graphics, storyline, etc. Overall, I don't see any problem about it. Yes, even all of the generations has their bad flaws. Let me just say, all generations are fine as it should be.

ASequenceOfNumbers33
10-08-2012, 02:54 PM
At first I wasn't that interested in Gen V, but the Pokemon quickly grew on me. I loved the villains, in fact, N is probably my favourite villain in any Ninendo game. Not to mention, in B2W2, I hear they downright improved so many aspects of the games. (Remember that I'm using the words "I've heard")

Champion Cynthia
10-08-2012, 09:13 PM
At first I wasn't that interested in Gen V, but the Pokemon quickly grew on me. I loved the villains, in fact, N is probably my favourite villain in any Ninendo game. Not to mention, in B2W2, I hear they downright improved so many aspects of the games. (Remember that I'm using the words "I've heard")

N isn't a villian. He was just betrayed by his father Ghetis.

Dabottle
10-08-2012, 09:36 PM
N isn't a villian. He was just betrayed by his father Ghetis.

While I do agree you with you on this, it's sort of a grey area. I'd say antagonist, but others may disagree.

Ice
10-08-2012, 10:13 PM
I'd say he's certainly an antagonist in B/W. He turns around at the end but actively attempts to impede your progress throughout the game (and is basically the only person that actually does so). I wouldn't call him evil or say he's the main villain (that title would go to Ghetsis), but he's definitely a major antagonist.

Champion Cynthia
10-10-2012, 09:06 PM
I still say non-villian. Who can blame him for being betrayed?

LovelyOshawott
10-10-2012, 10:44 PM
5th gen only rules to me for one reason.
OSHAWOTT!!!! :p

CaptainRed1000
10-10-2012, 11:10 PM
5th gen is awesome. Some of the Pokemon Ideas kinda suck, like Chandelure, but i don't really care. It's great!

Glace
10-10-2012, 11:45 PM
5th gen is awesome. Some of the Pokemon Ideas kinda suck, like Chandelure, but i don't really care. It's great!

Or the Trubbish family...but it is great!

Cutiepuffle
10-11-2012, 12:39 AM
Pokemon ideas were bad, very boring beginning of BW. But awesome storylines.

24kShinx
10-26-2012, 12:14 PM
Generation 5 didn't grab me at first, but as I played my White version and the story deepened, the generation grew on me and it is now one of the greatest generations in my opinion. The cliffhanger at the end is what drove me to get my Black2 version.

JUST REMEMBER: We may have had Black/White and Black2/White2, but that doesn't mean we have seen all of generation 5 yet

Rocket
10-26-2012, 01:34 PM
Gen 5 was very exciting for me,but honestly,It gets boring very fast.

SuperPikachuTNT
11-04-2012, 04:14 AM
I love everything beside the pokemon the pokemon look horabal

LovelyOshawott
11-04-2012, 05:20 AM
Good:
Oshawott, story lines, better movement, oshawott, some new decent Pokemon, and oshawott.
Bad:
Everything else.

Elso579
11-04-2012, 10:44 PM
I actually like some of the new pokemon I just wish they came up with better names. The story lines of the new games are good to.

Tuxy
11-04-2012, 11:04 PM
Black & White 2 honestly saved 5th Generation for me. I have never had that much fun with a main series Pokémon game before. Having older Pokémon again and stuff like the PWT make this game on the best Pokémon games ever.

Rocket
11-05-2012, 12:01 AM
Black & White 2 honestly saved 5th Generation for me. I have never had that much fun with a main series Pokémon game before. Having older Pokémon again and stuff like the PWT make this game on the best Pokémon games ever.

Tuxy,my thoughts exactly.