PDA

View Full Version : Anime or Manga?

Will
06-11-2012, 02:02 AM
It's a pretty simple question: Do you prefer watching an anime or reading manga? This applies to specific examples and in general. Feel free to explain your reasoning as much as you desire!

For me personally, I grew up on reading mangas...but I got old and lazy so losing brain matter and watching anime appeals to me now currently.

Spitfire
06-11-2012, 02:17 AM
Right now anime wins over because I like more of them however some things are only worth it on the manga.

Majorasfan
06-11-2012, 02:24 AM
If the question was between Visual Novels and Anime, it would be harder.. but I personally like anime a lot for the fact of voice acting, effects, and plain old movement. Manga is great, but I just prefer the full-animation action. xD

Kyoushiro
06-11-2012, 02:41 AM
I watch a lot of anime, but I find it much easier to read manga, especially during school!

ShadowMr.L
06-11-2012, 10:56 AM
If there was a "both" choice I'd use it. I'd say I prefer Anime.

I've just been so accustom to it for a while. Plus, Manga is good, but it took me forever to read. (yes I know I'm a failure.) There are just so many reasons I love anime but I can't list them all.

Christian
06-11-2012, 12:35 PM
Anime. I haven't really grown up with the manga but I did grow up with the anime so it's an easy choice for me.

Spitfire
06-11-2012, 12:54 PM
If there was a "both" choice I'd use it. I'd say I prefer Anime.

I've just been so accustom to it for a while. Plus, Manga is good, but it took me forever to read. (yes I know I'm a failure.) There are just so many reasons I love anime but I can't list them all.

I still don't get what is so hard about learning to read manga xD.

Will
06-11-2012, 03:10 PM
Wow. I'm surprised we have no takers on the manga side!

XpL
06-11-2012, 05:16 PM
"Don't have to turn the page."
Everyone and anyone's argument.

Will
06-11-2012, 05:53 PM
That's not always true. For instance, I prefer picking up my old Pokemon manga(s) instead of watching an episode of the old series. In my humble opinion, it's much better anyway. xD

Shiningbolt
06-11-2012, 06:06 PM
I prefer manga. When you're out and about with nothing to do, it's easier to bring your manga with you than something to play videos with. Manga is usually what comes first, so there's much more to read than watch, as well.

Zachgoose
06-11-2012, 07:04 PM
Yeah... I actually prefer Manga more as well overall.

You can grab it and go... And it's also updated more frequently and more true to the overall story the way things the author intended it to be. The only problem is that it's expensive. X_x

narutomoon
06-11-2012, 07:29 PM
I personally prefer anime, because i like to see the action unfolding out in front of me. I also dont really read manga. i get headaches after a while from reading manga on a computer screen, and the only 2 mangas i wasnt to read are 1.air gear, and 2. bleach (for the fnal arc that they arent animatin, but im gonna buy the actual manga books)

ShadowMr.L
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I still don't get what is so hard about learning to read manga xD.
I don't know either to be honest. One day at school I just popped up a random image teaching me to read Manga and I'm like "Hmm..let me try it now." And there you have it!

DbzSSS2
06-11-2012, 10:14 PM
I say......... BOTH LOL!

Spitfire
06-11-2012, 10:29 PM
I don't know either to be honest. One day at school I just popped up a random image teaching me to read Manga and I'm like "Hmm..let me try it now." And there you have it!

What anime have you been watching anyway?

X!!
06-12-2012, 12:00 PM
Anime FTW!

X!!
06-12-2012, 12:01 PM
In my opinion, it is much easier to watch than to read.

Mizuki
06-12-2012, 02:35 PM
I'm voting for manga. It's convenient, and my library has a good assortment of stuff so I usually don't have to buy it.

Triplewolf
06-12-2012, 03:18 PM
Anime. I just never got into reading manga.

Red
06-12-2012, 06:31 PM
I watch anime 99% of the time. That 1% goes to the Pokemon Special manga. I refuse to continue watching the Pokemon anime after Battle Frontier. It died when it reached 4th and 5th gen.

Spitfire
06-13-2012, 06:28 AM
I watch anime 99% of the time. That 1% goes to the Pokemon Special manga. I refuse to continue watching the Pokemon anime after Battle Frontier. It died when it reached 4th and 5th gen.

Well the Pokemon Special is probably one (if not) the best manga I've ever read so that'd make sense.

ShadowMr.L
06-13-2012, 11:57 AM
What anime have you been watching anyway?

To answer your question:

I'm working on Eden of the East and Tsuritama. After them I'll finally fulfill Red's promise I made to him and watch Shakugan no Shana. I'll also be watching ToraDora and then I'll possibly pick up on Bleach or One Piece again.

Spitfire
06-13-2012, 12:57 PM
To answer your question:

I'm working on Eden of the East and Tsuritama. After them I'll finally fulfill Red's promise I made to him and watch Shakugan no Shana. I'll also be watching ToraDora and then I'll possibly pick up on Bleach or One Piece again.

Although I never checked out Eden of the East, Tsuritama's colors are just unbelievable.

ShadowMr.L
06-13-2012, 01:04 PM
Dude you should really watch Eden of the East. It's so good.

The Arrow
06-13-2012, 03:11 PM
Anime because it's all I really watch and I don't pay much attention to the Manga. I guess I only say that because I've always been a fan of all the Dragon Ball's. xD

Prospering
06-13-2012, 03:32 PM
Anime because almost 100% of anime is good and all the anime shows are classic

Spitfire
06-13-2012, 04:06 PM
and all the anime shows are classic

Except the new ones aren't classics...

MiniTapp
06-13-2012, 07:26 PM
Well I hate watching dub because the american voice actors are appalling and the females are really irritating, and I'm too lazy to read sub while it is better. So manga.

Spitfire
06-13-2012, 09:11 PM
Well I hate watching dub because the american voice actors are appalling and the females are really irritating, and I'm too lazy to read sub while it is better. So manga.

Dub isn't always too bad, in fact most of it is good. I only prefer sub because it comes out before dub.

Gyaradomo
06-13-2012, 10:56 PM
I like watching anime because it brings sound and epic animations into the equation. Don't get me wrong, I love manga too, but anime just has that little boost to make it better.

Will
06-14-2012, 04:08 PM
It seems there is a healthy amount of love for anime over manga, which seems perfectly reasonable given the times.

Garthcune
06-14-2012, 08:13 PM
I started out watching anime every Saturday as a kid. But now, I like mangas much more. I'd rather be given a few manga scenes with some characters and then be left to fill in the blanks by imagining the rest in my head, rather than have an anime be forced upon me. Mangas really make me think about things... And I don't get that when watching anime.

joebob2311
06-16-2012, 12:52 AM
Anime 4evar

Will
06-17-2012, 07:13 PM
I started out watching anime every Saturday as a kid. But now, I like mangas much more. I'd rather be given a few manga scenes with some characters and then be left to fill in the blanks by imagining the rest in my head, rather than have an anime be forced upon me. Mangas really make me think about things... And I don't get that when watching anime.

What do you get out of the manga? In terms of thinking? Depth? Interpretation? I'm just curious since I'm not a big manga guy!

Uzi
06-21-2012, 12:50 AM
I prefer manga even though I don't read many. There's just tons of stuff that will probably never get an anime adaption that's absolutely fantastic. Hoshi no Samidare for one, gosh that was a good read. There's Great Teacher Onizuka too, which had a great adaption from what I've heard but I'd rather prefer to read the manga first. I normally end up watching/reading about all of the things related to stuff I like. I like reading light novels too, since there's lots of stuff that were originally LNs, like Hyouka and Index.

Minntul
06-21-2012, 12:57 AM
I prefer manga, although I never bother reading much of them. But when they get an anime adaption they tend to ignore a lot of stuff the manga had. Also because they don't get fillers.

Shadowknight
06-21-2012, 08:24 AM
Anime is the best thing. I like Manga a little but Anime scores higher than Manga!

Will
06-21-2012, 04:59 PM
I prefer manga even though I don't read many. There's just tons of stuff that will probably never get an anime adaption that's absolutely fantastic. Hoshi no Samidare for one, gosh that was a good read. There's Great Teacher Onizuka too, which had a great adaption from what I've heard but I'd rather prefer to read the manga first. I normally end up watching/reading about all of the things related to stuff I like. I like reading light novels too, since there's lots of stuff that were originally LNs, like Hyouka and Index.

If you're interested, There's Great Teacher Onizuka is absolutely amazing. I've read the manga and watched the anime for it. I probably prefer the manga interpretation by a smidge, which is unusual for me. I'm curious though...what the heck is your avatar from?

Uzi
06-21-2012, 05:52 PM
If you're interested, There's Great Teacher Onizuka is absolutely amazing. I've read the manga and watched the anime for it. I probably prefer the manga interpretation by a smidge, which is unusual for me. I'm curious though...what the heck is your avatar from?

GTO has been treating me pretty well so far. It's right up my alley when it comes to humor.

To answer your question, she's Panty from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt. It's pretty average and I wouldn't really recommend it unless you like dirty jokes.

Will
06-21-2012, 06:40 PM
Yeah, I've heard of it. It's not really my thing...but the art seems incredible. I dig the style.

ILIEKPIE
06-21-2012, 06:52 PM
When i was younger i would read manga at night or when i as bored, but now i just can't really get into it as much as anime. I guess i just got so used to movement amd have not been reading enough books now that it's summer.

Kamex
06-21-2012, 07:45 PM
I like both. The facial expressions crack me up! xD

Will
06-22-2012, 05:12 PM
When i was younger i would read manga at night or when i as bored, but now i just can't really get into it as much as anime. I guess i just got so used to movement amd have not been reading enough books now that it's summer.

No worries, I completely sympathize with this. This is the exact same thing that happened to me after a few years of reading manga. xD

SonicMario777
06-24-2012, 09:00 PM
Anime, because watching animated scenes are awesome.

Gamersaiyan4
07-08-2012, 05:15 PM
I love anime because I grew up watching yu-gi-oh and Pokemon but now I'm hooked on dragon ball GT

Shantae
07-09-2012, 01:27 AM
Honestly, I do like anime despite over Manga (which I don't watch it) because of alot emotional expression.

Patriot
07-09-2012, 02:00 AM
To be honest, I only like animes better ONLY if it's well made.

EpicCh33se
07-24-2012, 11:00 PM
I like watching anime more than reading manga. Anime are like re-imagined versions of the manga. Since I can't understand Japanese, they both require for me to read. But I find "reading" anime better because it's more immersive than reading the manga alone. Anime is complete with voice acting (it's good most of the time), animated visuals, and a soundtrack.

Totodile
07-28-2012, 11:01 PM
I don't watch much Anime or Read much Manga but between the 2 I like the anime the best because I'm not too big on reading.

Suprsilver
07-29-2012, 02:29 AM
Honestly, I like both. Anime's fun to watch, manga's fun to read.

SuperSceptile
07-29-2012, 10:12 PM
i like manga because i hate that they booted brock from the show. and ash just doesn't satisfy me as a main character. i think red is way better than ash. Plus i never really enjoyed watching anime for a while.

Kyoits
07-29-2012, 10:14 PM
I prefer anime because it last way longer

Spitfire
07-30-2012, 01:50 AM
I prefer anime because it last way longer

Almost 100 times out of 100 you'd be wrong. Anime is nearly always shorter than manga. On VERY RARE occasions anime may be longer because of fillers on long series.

Qwerty
08-01-2012, 05:37 PM
Manga's nice, but I like watching the characters animated. It's just a different experience.

Giratina720
08-01-2012, 10:28 PM
Anime because it has alot of motion acting and stuff.

emboar11
08-04-2012, 02:55 AM
anime rulez

Shaymin
08-04-2012, 04:59 AM
I'd take anime over manga. But if we were talking Detective Conan, then manga.