PDA

View Full Version : Favorite things to read?

Christian
06-11-2012, 02:21 PM
Do you have any good book that you want to recommend or maybe something you want to tell us?
Write it here!
It can be any book and any genre, Fantay, Manga, Action - What do you read?

My favorite book is The Name Of The Wind.

DeMrTeunio
06-11-2012, 02:35 PM
I really don't enjoy reading that much. To me a book is always inferior to a movie. I did like some books however, if I had to choose a favorite it'd be Life of Pi.

Will
06-11-2012, 02:41 PM
My girlfriend basically talked me into reading the Hunger Game series. They seem to be pretty enjoyable so far. ^_^

Kyoushiro
06-11-2012, 03:53 PM
Back then, I used to love the Warrior Cats books, but I stopped reading them because of reasons. >_>
I liked the Hunger Games. Except for the fact that it hurled me into a crippling sadness for several days. *coughMockingjaycough*

Tuxy
06-11-2012, 04:16 PM
Any of you read anything of the Skulduggery Pleasant or the Puerta Oscura series?
Great Fantasy books, mostly for teens, but I think they can be enjoyable for older people too.

ShadowMr.L
06-11-2012, 04:41 PM
I enjoy reading The Hunger Games, Warrior cats and Michael Grant's "Gone series.

Here's a little description about the "Gone" series or the first book. Taken from the back of the book. I'm doing this because I don't know if anyone's ever read or heard of it on these forums.

Everyone except for the young. Teens. Middle schoolers. Toddlers. But not a single adult. No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents. Gone, too, are the phones, internet, and television. There is no way to get help.

Hunger threatens. Bullies rule. A sinister creature lurks. Animals are mutating. And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents—unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers—that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world. Sides are being chosen and war is imminent.

The first in a breathtaking saga about teens battling each other and their darkest selves, gone is a page-turning thriller that will make you look at the world in a whole new way.

Majorasfan
06-11-2012, 05:16 PM
I have a lot of things I like to read.. Putting Visual Novels aside, I've personally been reading Harry Turtledove's Worldwar series, because I <3 historical fiction.. I also have enjoyed Abraham Lincoln: Vampire Hunter for a similar reason.

The Arrow
06-11-2012, 05:19 PM
Honestly, I've hated reading my entire life, but I always enjoy reading A Series of Unfortunate Events, it never gets old! I also like to read magazines, if that counts. =P

XpL
06-11-2012, 05:22 PM
I read all those typical, mainstream novels, and got bored.
I went into a bookstore 3 years ago and picked up 3 really good, emotional books.
The first one I read, "Room", based on the Fritzl story was one of the most moving novels I ever read. Couldn't think straight for days.

Tuxy
06-11-2012, 05:31 PM
I've heard about "Room" before but never got to read it. But I can understand how people feel after reading the book.
As Austrian, I have heard a lot about Fritzl in our media and am still in shock how anyone is able to do this to his own family.

BXZ
06-11-2012, 07:37 PM
A couple of years ago I started reading "The Redemption of Althalus",
it's really great, I havn't finished it though.

Christian
06-11-2012, 08:22 PM
Haha, so many new books I now have to look up ^^

Merga
06-11-2012, 08:48 PM
Homestuck

Really haven't read much of anything recently. I guess I'll try to pick up Catching Fire sometime before the summer ends. Hope that's good.

Tainers14
06-11-2012, 09:31 PM
I never read a book for "enjoyment" in a while. It has always been for school. Although a book series I really like, is the Lord of the Rings series. I want to start reading a new series though. Either A song of Fire and Ice, or the Inheritance series.

Ayra
06-11-2012, 09:40 PM
i really LOVED the hunger games trilogy: however, if i was a female, i probably would have cried at the end of mockingjay when prim died. instead, however, because i am a man, my only reaction to that scene was "OMG-WTF"

DbzSSS2
06-11-2012, 10:32 PM
Mangas! Japanese Novels/Comics

SFB
06-11-2012, 10:43 PM
Honestly I havent read much lately. I like reading Nintendo Power, CNN, and other internet stories. PC gamer as well :D

Shiningbolt
06-13-2012, 05:11 PM
Um...The last series I read was the Maximum Ride books. I'm not one to complain about stories unless they have bad grammar and stuff, but someone gave me a lot of heat just because I read them. I guess there's a fanbase that made him think that way or something.

Umbrony
06-27-2012, 06:06 PM
Omg I love warriors still, and I love reading manga. I'm reading Ultimo by Stan Lee now.

MiniTapp
06-29-2012, 08:44 AM
i really LOVED the hunger games trilogy: however, if i was a female, i probably would have cried at the end of mockingjay when **** ****. instead, however, because i am a man, my only reaction to that scene was "OMG-WTF"

Okay, you know I am still reading the last book right? I fail to see how it was necessary to say that. Thank you for spoiling it for me. Much appreciated.

xAwesomatorx
06-29-2012, 10:36 AM
I read Skullduggery Pleasant books, definitely one of my favorites.

joebob2311
06-29-2012, 12:16 PM
REEAADDDDDD?????:mad:

Luna
06-29-2012, 04:09 PM
I like Hunger Games and Harry Potter, and have just picked up a book called "Gone", which has been mentioned previously.

Minntul
06-29-2012, 04:21 PM
I'm starting to get into Visual Novels now.

Right now, I'm reading Fate/Stay Night to get me started.

tinksfinks
06-29-2012, 05:09 PM
The Millenium trilogy by Stieg Larsson, I found to be highly enjoyable. There are many mature themes involved though, you've been warned. I also really enjoy Haruki Murakami's works. The English translation is excellent in his books. Again, a lot of mature themes, but his books are always very deep. And also the 2 Orwellian books, Animal Farm and Nineteen Eightyfour of course.

thechiquidracula
06-29-2012, 10:24 PM
my fav book have to be Beautiful Creatures , Beautiful darkness and so on lol

Graph
06-30-2012, 12:40 AM
I enjoy reading The Hunger Games and Michael Grant's "Gone series.

I was literally just going to say these two.

I would rep you if I could.

SwordMaster
06-30-2012, 03:18 AM
I personally enjoy the books by Rick Riordan such as Percy Jackson and the Olympians or The Lost Hero.

Shantae
06-30-2012, 04:37 AM
I don't like reading books since back in 5th Grade which I love books. Until Middle School, I really gave up reading and I don't have a interest in books until High School. Anyways, I only read Magic Tree House books since Elementary school. In as for now, at High School I read two of Shakespeare books "Romeo and Juliet" and "Midnight Summer's Dream" and more books read in High School which brings me back in interest of reading more books.

SonicMario777
06-30-2012, 04:40 AM
I've never really liked reading books, honestly. But, books can really take your mind on adventures.

Prospering
06-30-2012, 04:56 AM
earlier this year I read the Hunger Games which I loved, I barely ever read my sister told me to read it so I did.

bamboo37
07-01-2012, 04:28 PM
Books don't tend to be that good. Sometimes they are. I guess I did like The Giver. That is my favorite book.

whiffet
07-01-2012, 05:58 PM
Favorite book? Um, I don't have a definite favorite, but the most intense case I ever had of "I CANNOT PUT THIS DOWN" was with the Lord of the Rings trilogy. I read them before seeing the movies, which contributed to my need to know what happened next.

EDIT: Of course, every time I told myself I would stop at a certain point, it turned out that point was a horrible place to stop. I explicitly recall being dragged to a camping trip, bringing the books with me, and sitting in a tent telling myself that I would stop for a while after finishing The Two Towers. If you know how events are arranged in the books, you'll know why that didn't work well, and just how long it took for that cliffhanger to be resolved.

Charizardflyer
07-01-2012, 10:28 PM
I love to read warrior cats, hunger games, and hachet. I was nomiteded ( < i think that how you spell it) for NEG reader of the year.

Patriot
07-01-2012, 11:47 PM
My favorites when it comes to books would probably have to be either The Hunger Games or any good historical fiction/nonfiction. I'm a pretty boring person when it comes to books.

whiffet
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
My favorites when it comes to books would probably have to be either The Hunger Games or any good historical fiction/nonfiction. I'm a pretty boring person when it comes to books.

Nonsense. History is fascinating. Some people are just bad at telling it.

Qwerty
07-02-2012, 06:52 AM
Reading is my life mang.
Read fanfiction, manga, books, forum posts, game guides, all day long.
As for books, there are too many good ones. Redwall series was a favorite a few years ago.

Red
07-02-2012, 12:58 PM
I spent alot of my time in the past reading Homestuck. I got all the way up to Act 6 in a few weeks(That is over 6000 pages). A friend of mine suggested I start reading it and I eventually did. Loved it ever since but I haven't been keeping up with it as of late as I'm occupied with other things.

Dakota
07-05-2012, 02:02 PM
I don't have a favorite, because I love reading almost everything. I quite like the books by Cornelia Funke, The Thief Lord and Inkheart.

Davismt
07-09-2012, 09:55 PM
I like a lot of books but I prefer to read books about gods and myth like things. They just catch my interest.

Kamex
07-10-2012, 01:38 AM
I really Enjoyed reading Miracle's Boys. I don't remember who the author is, but it was a great book about three brothers living in the hood. The middle brother is a gangster who hates everything ever since he went to jail. The cool thing is, the whole book took place in two days! (If memory serves)

Gamersaiyan4
07-10-2012, 03:30 PM
I read all sorts of stuff like halo books the Kane chronicles the heroes of Olympus and the Percy Jackson series also diary of a wimpy kid is a favorite of mine

Shaymin
07-11-2012, 08:19 PM
Unlike most of what I read on this topic, I enjoy reading books. Though, most of the books I've read, I've forgotten at least half of the details. The Hunger Games Trilogy (of course) has been my favorite so far. As far as manga goes, I like reading Case Closed.

Weavile
07-11-2012, 09:40 PM
I suggest Khaled Hosseini's books. They're extremely gritty and sad, but if you can get past that his books are some of the most beautiful things I've ever read. The Kite Runner is a good one to start out with. They're not for younger peeps though.

Xerodragon12
07-11-2012, 11:41 PM
I prefer reading stuff along the lines of TIMES magazines, National Geographic, Popular Mechanics, and the occasional Machine Design. All of which are Magazines that deal mostly in science, engineering, and well stuff you usually see in documentaries. This kinda clues in to what kind of person I am.

Giratina720
07-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I read the 36 stratagems ninhao cartoon! it is very funny! :D

Tuxy
07-13-2012, 10:11 PM
I've recently gotten into Stephen King books
Very well written, but definitly nothing for small kids!

PichuSummer
09-01-2012, 08:37 AM
I like the Percy Jackson series, Warrior Cats, Charlie Bone, Gone, Fairy Tail and lots of other stuff...

I mostly like reading fantasy and action books... :3

UbersSuck20
09-02-2012, 05:58 AM
Well, the ONLY thing I read are PC books and the novels/theatre the school recommends.

FelsicFurret
09-03-2012, 02:23 PM
I mostly read nonfiction. Some history-related stuff, mostly science-related stuff. One really interesting one was What If the Earth Had Two Moons? It speculated on how life could have been different on Earth if it had two moons, zero moons, a thicker crust, etc. Among fiction, I did like the Inheritance cycle. I have also started reading the Iliad for school, and am actually somewhat enjoying it.

LuckyLapras
09-03-2012, 02:36 PM
Let's see, I recently finished Fire World by Chris d'Lacey. Beautiful book. =P

Judge Mandolore Shepard
09-03-2012, 03:05 PM
A few of my favorite things to read would have to include Mass Effect Revelation by Drew Karpyshyn, Halo The Fall of Reach by Eric Nylund, the Republic Commando series by Karen Traviss, and Band of Brothers by Stephan E. Ambrose.