PDA

View Full Version : Recommend an anime!

Will
06-11-2012, 03:19 PM
Recommend an anime to someone! Besides just giving titles, it'd be nice if you gave a small explination for why you would think this would be a good anime for our community here to enjoy. This isn't just about anime you're currently watching, because you can recommend great things you've seen in the past. The goal of this thread is to help everyone find stuff they may have missed or may not have been interested in before. I'll start.

Mine is one I actually am in the middle of watching...and that is The World God Only Knows!

Plot: Keima Katsuragi, a second-year high school student, is an avid bishōjo game player. He is known on the Internet as "The God of Conquests" (落とし神 Otoshi-gami?) for his legendary skills to be able to "conquer" any 2D girl in games. However, in his actual school life, Keima is known as otamegane (オタメガネ?), a derogatory portmanteau of the two words otaku (オタク?) and megane (メガネ?, "glasses"), and is considered nothing but an intelligent yet gloomy geek with glasses. At the start of the series, Keima receives an e-mail offering him a contract to "conquer" girls. When he accepts it, thinking it is an invitation to a game, a demon from Hell named Elsie appears. She asks for his cooperation to help her in catching runaway spirits: Loose Souls. These spirits hide themselves inside the hearts of girls, and Elsie suggests that the only method to force the spirits out is by "conquering" the girls hearts, making them fall in love with him and filling up the gaps which the runaway spirits hide in. Interested only in video game girls, however, Keima is appalled by the idea, and refuses the assignment as he has no romantic real life experiences whatsoever. Nevertheless, with the contract already agreed, Keima has no choice but to help Elsie no matter what, as they will be beheaded if they fail.

After winning the hearts of several girls (and capturing the spirits residing in them), Keima and Elsie are given an even greater mission, awaken the "Jupiter Sisters", six godessess who are daughters of the god Jupiter. Each sister is dormant into the heart of one girl among those they had previously helped, thus Keima must locate them and conquer their hearts a second time, as all girls had their memories of falling in love with him erased. However, the time for Keima to awaken and assemble all godessess is limited as he must do so to prevent an imminent invasion of the human realm by a rebellious group of demons called "Vintage". Aside from focusing on Keima and Elsie's adventures, the series also makes fun and parodying common and popular cliches about dating sims, anime character stereotypes, and pop culture.

In short, it's really fun and certainly gives a lot of humorous nods to both anime and visual novel fans alike. I also enjoy the main two characters quite extensively, which obviously makes the anime that much more enjoyable when you have someone to laugh along with.

Now...let's see some of your recommendations and suggestions!

Majorasfan
06-11-2012, 05:08 PM
I wholeheartedly agree with the above anime.. it's really good. I've enjoyed watching it!

Anywho, my suggestion would be one I've been really obsessed with for a few days now, and it's a great story: Toradora!
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-SG-Qrgq7208/T6lLXYworLI/AAAAAAAAAgA/_f1-xtIw1Po/s1600/toradora-group.jpg

"Toradora! is about the teenage boy Ryuuji Takasu ("Ryuu") who lives with his wild and carefree mother in a house that is afflicted by being overshadowed by a tall block of new luxury apartments next door. One of the block's residents is the diminuitive Taiga, a violent and unhappy girl who lives alone in squalor in a luxury apartment. The pair are drawn together by the fact they are both outcasts, Taiga because of her violent nature (she is referred to as the "palm-sized tiger") and Ryuu because he has the looks of a menacing thug.

As luck would have it, they each like the other's best friend (Taiga likes Kitamura, Ryuu likes Minori), and enter into a pact to help each other make progress with their love interest. However their friendship quickly seems to put them at odds with their stated aims of making progress with the other's friend. Things become more complicated when Kitamura brings a beautiful childhood friend (Ami) into the picture who not only seems to have the dibs on Kitamura but immediately starts sweet talking Ryuu too, whilst being vindictive towards Taiga the whole time."

tl;dr version: Ryuu, the main character, like's Taiga's best friend, and Taiga likes Ryuu's best friend. The tsundere Taiga and Ryuu decide to work together to get together with the people they like, but random and complicated things happen along the way in this hilarious and never-boring story.

It's really amazing, and I would totally recommend it! = )

DbzSSS2
06-11-2012, 10:41 PM
Full metal Alchemist FMA all the way!

narutomoon
06-12-2012, 01:28 AM
I'm not going to make this post long, but WATCH AIR GEAR! Air Gear is an anime that i hold very dear to my heart. I would HIGHLY recomend that you watch it, however it ended due to obvious reasons (watch and you will see), but the manga is still going on and there is an OVA series goin on as well. Another anime i recomend is Fairy Tail, just because its about wizards an it has dragons and dragon slayers... not to mention flying and talking kitty cats :3

ShadowMr.L
06-12-2012, 11:31 AM
The Anime I'm recommending is called "Another"
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s_bEr-B93HI/T7vzwKNVupI/AAAAAAAAAPc/UgTE_MRTyeA/s1600/another_anime.jpg

Plot Summary: 26 years ago, in a third-year classroom of a middle school, there was a student named Misaki. As an honors student who was also good at sports, the charming girl was popular with her classmates. When she suddenly died, her classmates decided to carry on as if she was still alive until graduation. Then, in the spring of 1998, a boy named Sakakibara Kouichi transfers to that classroom, and he grows suspicious of the fearful atmosphere in that classroom. In particular, there is a beautiful, aloof girl named Mei Misaki who wears an eyepatch and is always alone drawing pictures.

It used to be a novel written by "Yukito Ayatsuji".

The Third Year Class has a special something behind it. Every year at every month there is an extra student. If they don't find that student people attached the class will die. It can be a classmate or a family member as a matter of fact. It's not a curse either.

It's a very good anime. It's 12 episodes long.

It is a Horror, Mystery, Drama and School type of anime.

Please be noted that some deaths can be very brutal, I advise you not to watch it if you've got a weak stomach.

If not, and wish to check it out; let me know what you think of it! I really enjoyed this anime, and I hope you would too. ;)

Spitfire
06-12-2012, 12:33 PM
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-s_bEr-B93HI/T7vzwKNVupI/AAAAAAAAAPc/UgTE_MRTyeA/s1600/another_anime.jpg

Plot Summary: 26 years ago, in a third-year classroom of a middle school, there was a student named Misaki. As an honors student who was also good at sports, the charming girl was popular with her classmates. When she suddenly died, her classmates decided to carry on as if she was still alive until graduation. Then, in the spring of 1998, a boy named Sakakibara Kouichi transfers to that classroom, and he grows suspicious of the fearful atmosphere in that classroom. In particular, there is a beautiful, aloof girl named Mei Misaki who wears an eyepatch and is always alone drawing pictures.

The Third Year Class has a special something behind it. Every year at every month there is an extra student. If they don't find that student people attached the class will die. It can be a classmate or a family member as a matter of fact. It's not a curse either.

Please be noted that some deaths can be very brutal, I advise you not to watch it if you've got a weak stomach.

If not, and wish to check it out; let me know what you think of it! I really enjoyed this anime, and I hope you would too. ;)

I'd be willing to second Shadow's choice here, I too have really enjoyed this anime.

Gyaradomo
06-14-2012, 08:49 PM
I definitely suggest Fairy Tail. It has a lot of fanservice though. Like 90% of the time. It actually is pretty cool. It is about a wizard guild going out against different challenges.

Will
06-15-2012, 06:01 PM
I have watched some of Fairy Tale and really enjoyed it! It's a bit silly for my usual fare, but still amusing to watch. However, I've never heard of this "Another" anime before. It sounds pretty epic. I'll certainly have to add it to the list.

jackers96
06-15-2012, 06:27 PM
I will recommend mirai nikki it's about a boy called yukiterru who uses his writes into his diary he then meets Deus the god of time and space and then his diary predicts the future then afterward he finds out he was put into a survival game with other diary owners. a few things some moments are a bit iffy and there is some gruesome deaths.

another anime is deadman wonderland it's about a boy who was in school then some red man comes and kills everyone and plants a red Crystal inside the boy then he goes to prison for the murders of all of the people in the class while in prison he find out he has blood powers
so again it's a bit gruesome and so offensive comments are made and there is some questionable morals

thechiquidracula
06-30-2012, 02:27 AM
ooooh wow just watching this thread i have to watch a lot of anime lol and for my recommendation i have to say soul eater it is a really fun anime to watch but i am not good at explaining stuff and another one that is really weird for me to say is maid sama tottaly diferent for my style but still a really good anime to watch lol

Graph
06-30-2012, 02:43 AM
iDOLM@STER. Nothing better than teenage girls singing and talking about ***** half the time.

Qwerty
06-30-2012, 02:46 AM
Seconding majoras' suggestion here. Toradora! is one of my all time favorites. For those who haven't, watch it, it's amazing.

Spitfire
06-30-2012, 02:55 AM
iDOLM@STER. Nothing better than teenage girls singing and talking about ***** half the time.

OMIGWASH GOTTA WATCH NAO!

Seconding majoras' suggestion here. Toradora! is one of my all time favorites. For those who haven't, watch it, it's amazing.

It really is an amazing anime with one of the best romances I've ever seen.

Uzi
06-30-2012, 03:12 AM

They only talk about ***** in like one episode mate. You must have missed the good part of the show.
toobadhibkihasnoepisode

Qwerty
06-30-2012, 04:37 AM
idolm@ster was actually surprisingly good. Them dance sequences!

Shaymin
06-30-2012, 07:25 AM
This was the last anime I watched (currently watching Shakugan no Shana) and I have to say, Zero no Tsukaima is an anime I'd definitely would recommend!

http://sunnie.neetsauce.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/zero-no-tsukaima-season-4.jpg

Zero no Tsukaima is centered around Saito Hiraga who has ended in a sort of feudal Europe where magicians (excuse me, I mean mages) were considered nobles. The story starts off when all 2nd year mages at a magic academy have to summon their life-long familiars in a ritual. The main female character, Louise Françoise Le Blanc de La Vallière (nicknamed Louise the Zero because of how poorly she executes spells) "accidentally" summons Saito, a plebian (basically peasants who have no magical power whatsoever), and therefore becomes even more of the laughing stock even more so than she already is. Since the ritual is sacred, she is forced to have Saito as her familiar. When Louise marks Saito as her familiar, the runes "Gandalfr" (God's Left Hand) appear on his left hand. Louise basically treats him like a regular familiar by making wash her clothes, eating stale bread, whipping him with a horse whip as a punishment, sleeping on hay, calling him "baka inu" (hey Majorasfan, Toradora much?) et cetera. As the series progresses, the mages of the magic academy begin to respect him like one of them, and like almost all animes, the main female character and the side female characters (with the exception of probably 2 or 3 girls) fall in love with him, plus as to why Louise is incapable of performing spells.

I could go on forever, but I don't I don't want to spoil it. Zero no Tsukaima has 4 seasons, each containing 12-13 episodes. If you like harems, comedy, magic, or just Toradora! in general (Zero no Tsukaima is very similar to Toradora! in some cases like the seiyuus) then you definitely need to check it out.

Lucario326
07-01-2012, 03:18 AM
Fruits basket... Lol

Rustic-Ghost
07-01-2012, 10:25 AM

I'd be willing to second Shadow's choice here, I too have really enjoyed this anime.
thirdeded, this is a really brilliant anime.

I shall also suggest a few of my own anime.
Firstly, I shall suggest a great anime called:
Mirai Nikki
It's just an awesome anime, I'm really enjoying it.

And also:
Nichijou
I can't even breath HELP.

poochipower
07-01-2012, 06:20 PM
The only reason my friend max watches anime is because of me

Qwerty
07-01-2012, 11:16 PM
Fate/Zero is really awesome, even if you haven't seen the original Fate/Stay Night.
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/6/6e/Fatezero_cover.jpg/230px-Fatezero_cover.jpg
Fate/Zero takes place 10 years prior to the events of Fate/stay night, detailing the events of the 4th Holy Grail War in Fuyuki City.[2]. The War of the Holy Grail is a contest in which seven mages summon seven Heroic Spirits to compete to obtain the power of the "Holy Grail," which grants a miracle. After three inconclusive wars for the elusive Holy Grail, the Fourth War commences.

Founded by the Einzbern, Makiri, and Tōsaka families centuries ago, the Einzbern family is determined to achieve success after three successive failures, no matter the cost. As a result, they have elected to bring the hated magus killer, Kiritsugu Emiya, into their ranks, despite his methods and reputation as a skilled mercenary and a hitman who employs whatever he can use to accomplish his goals. Though Kiritsugu had once wanted to become a hero who could save everyone, he has long since abandoned this ideal upon realizing that saving one person comes at the cost of another's life. For the sake of humanity, he will ruthlessly destroy anything and anyone who threatens the peace of others.

However, Kiritsugu finds himself deeply torn between the love he has found for his new family - his wife Irisviel and their daughter Illya - and what he must do to obtain the Holy Grail. Meanwhile, Kiritsugu's greatest opponent appears in the form of Kirei Kotomine, a priest who cannot find any sense of fulfillment in his life and sets his sights on Kiritsugu as the possible answer to the emptiness he feels.
copypasted that from wikipedia.

TL;DR
http://ogmansblog.files.wordpress.com/2012/01/baby-rin1.jpg

♏Ա§♪ℂ~
07-02-2012, 12:43 PM
Clannad (after story)
The main character Tomoya Okazaki met Nagisa whom later became his wife and died while giving birth to Ushio. During high school met meet other girls like Kyou, Ryou, Katomi, etc. IF you want more info please PM me I luv having a so yeah ;)

Gamersaiyan4
07-09-2012, 03:04 AM
I recommend naruto and dragon ball because i have like 20 Xbox friends were arguing over which is better and I think both are equally good

Ishnaarg
07-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Monster is a really good anime.

Early Plot Summary:
The story follows a highly regarded Japanese surgeon, Dr. Tenma, working in Europe as a brain surgeon. One night, Dr. Tenma is supposed to be operating on the mayor of Düsseldorf, but two kids are brought to the hospital, one with a bullet wound in his head. Tenma decides to operate on the boy instead of the mayor, saving the boy, but killing the mayor. He loses his high social status, as well as his girlfriend because of his decision. The kids that were brought into the hospital disappear, and some people at the hospital are murdered, sending Tenma's life in a downward spiral.
Years later, Tenma is still working as a surgeon, and operates on a patient. He is kind to the patient, and decides to give him a gift. When Tenma returns, the patient is gone. He catches sight of the patient, and chases him. He catches him at a construction site, where he sees the patient being held at gunpoint by a mysterious man. That man is the boy that Tenma saved years earlier. The man shoots the patient, and runs off. Over the course of the series, Tenma learns more about that man, and goes around Europe, trying to undo the mistake he made when he saved that boy who was shot in the head.

The story of the series is extremely interesting, and the main antagonist is an excellent character. The whole atmosphere of the series is a lot more serious than anime like Death Note and Naruto, but it does lighten things up a little bit by adding some funny characters along the way. Also, the last few episodes will leave you amazed once they explain what's going on. The characters eat good food too.

The series is a bit long though, it's 74 episodes long. But if you guys have the time to watch it, you'll be glad you did.

riku
07-13-2012, 04:51 AM
oran host club and angle beats i cant spell it is not angle its angle like the things in heaven not math stuff

Shaymin
02-08-2013, 09:52 AM
I remember this thread, but now it's seems like it hasn't seen the light of day in a while. Speaking of "being seen", my recommendation is H20 Footprints in the Sand.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ynKFuaJXmH0/TTth5IELrzI/AAAAAAAAAFI/AZ09FvtoD7E/s1600/147058-bigthumbnail.jpg

The story is about a blind kid called Takuma Hirose, who comes to a little village to live with his uncle after his mother had died by being hit with a train. He then enrolls into a new school and meets three girls, which are of course are the heroines of the anime. The first would be Otoha, a spirit who kind of helps the protagonist, Hinata Kagura, who is a knowledgeable student and the granddaughter of the head of the village, and Hayami Kohinata, a person who is often overcast and bullied, mostly by Yui Tabata and her henchmen. As the story goes on, the anime unfolds the miserable backstory of the main plot and how each heroine is tied to each other.

From what I've heard, if you love Clannad After Story or Angel Beats!, then you'll probably love H20 Footprints in the Sand. The animation is great and the music is good too, especially the ending theme.

Chihaya
02-10-2013, 07:42 PM
I'm terrible at reasoning, so I will give brief explanations as to why I'd recommend say anime. Grammar is not my strong suit, oh my goodness.

Death Note - It's an interesting anime to help you see what kind of person one really is with a certain type of book. This is one of the many darker genres of anime, but nonetheless sends one on a psychological trip.

Other anime similar to Death Note I'd recommend would be Hell Girl and Puella Magi Madoka Magica, mainly because I see deeper or more suspenseful, death-covered themes are more amusing to watch. All have the element of what-ifs and items that are subject to kill/protect a person out of greed/corruption/loneliness.

More happier/comical anime I'd recommend would be Infinite Strators, Kampfer, iDOLM@STER, Angel Beats and things of that sort. If I remember any more I'll be sure to edit this post. \o/

Cutiepuffle
02-10-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm gonna recommend DB/Z (Not GT).

Kyoits
02-10-2013, 09:01 PM
I'm gonna recommend DB/Z (Not GT).

You didn't really give an explanation to why you recommend this anime.

Cutiepuffle
02-12-2013, 09:28 PM
Darn I forgot.

The music and the characters in Z were neat. But the best part was the fights. DB had a good story. GT ripped off other episodes and made the whole cast useless but Goku.

Yui
02-12-2013, 10:29 PM
This is an ongoing anime which I've been watching recently and I just needed to share it somewhere so I thought what place better than here ^_^

It comes out on Tuesdays and is called Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1qVBN1BGqyQ/UKxBQ7OuKDI/AAAAAAAAAuw/sxXJYEDrHDU/s1600/Sakurasou-no-Pet-na-Kanojo_with_border.jpg
(From left to right, Ryunosuke, Mashiro, Misaki, Sorata, Nanami, Jin. Above Sorata and between Misaki and Nanami is Rita)

This anime makes you feel an array of different emotions in every single episode. One minute you can be laughing your *** off, the next you can be on the verge of tears, and the minute after that you can be hornier than a dog in heat!
In all seriousness, anyone that enjoys good things would love this anime.
Plot: The story centers around a boy named Sorata Kanda. He was a normal kid until he ran into a stray cat, and cats or pets in general are not allowed in regular dormitories at Suimei University of the Arts. Because of this he is forced to move into a dorm called Sakurasou, which is associated with cuckoo people. The show takes place after he has already been living there for a while. The dorm advisor enforces her cousin onto him and makes him take care of her. Mashiro Shiina, cousin of the dorm advisor, is a world-class artist and recently developed an interest in drawing manga. Sorata's friend, Nanami Aoyama, due to no financial support from her parents is forced to move into Sakurasou in place of withdrawing from the university and giving up on her lifelong dream to become a voice actress. There are many different adventures taking place in the anime, one of the plot lines being the relationship between Sorata and Mashiro or Nanami; a battle for Sorata's heart. Another plot line is a love quarrel between Sorata's senpai Jin and Misaki. And although a less prominent story line, the love battle between Ryunosuke, the complete shut-in, and Rita, Mashiro's previous keeper while she was in England, similar to what Sorata is for Mashiro now.

Although I am a horrible critic and basically fall in love with any anime I watch, for the most part, I give this a 10/10 and would recommend it to anyone who likes anime that aren't just involved around fighting.

Please give it a try! I'm positive you will love it!

(Agrees with previous sentiments about Mirai Nikki)

Cutiepuffle
02-12-2013, 10:36 PM
Sakurasou no Pet na Kanojo

Does that translate to anything?

TropicalPikachu
02-16-2013, 06:45 PM
Cool! Um.. I like Case Closed or Dr. Slump or Bakegyamon. I read unpopular Mangas. or atleast not too famous.

Roxas
03-13-2013, 02:14 AM
Yu Yu Hakusho. End of story.

Patriot
03-13-2013, 02:59 AM
Does that translate to anything?

According to myanimelist (http://myanimelist.net/anime/13759/Sakurasou_no_Pet_na_Kanojo), "The Pet Girl of Sakurasou".