PDA

View Full Version : Mac or Windows?

Majorasfan
06-17-2012, 01:35 AM
It's an age-old question (Well, maybe a 20-year old question, anyway).. Mac or Windows?

Personally, I like Windows, but I was brought up using Windows. I've never had the chance to use a mac, but macs dont seem to be compatible with a lot of things I like. xD

ShadowMr.L
06-17-2012, 01:37 AM
I prefer Windows too. I grew up with it and got fond of it.

Patriot
06-17-2012, 01:38 AM
Considering I can't get a copy of OS X to download on my computer while with Windows I can, I'm gonna say Windows.

Weavile
06-17-2012, 01:43 AM
I like both, Mac has Final Cut Pro which I absolutely love, but Windows has games and lots of other cool programs.

Gyaradomo
06-17-2012, 02:49 AM
I feel that the mac is TOO sleek. I used my friend's mac, and the keyboard.... was too fancy. I also like gaming, so I wouldn't like a mac. I'm too lazy to download something to make the mac game compatible. I was also brought up with Windows like Majoras said, so that's another reason.

SFB
06-17-2012, 04:12 AM
Macs are cool and all, but they are overpriced and isn't worth spending so much just not have as many programs to have compatibility. I used Windows for every single computer I have had. However I dont look forward to how Windows 8 is looking.

Red
06-17-2012, 04:41 AM
I've always used Windows. More games are compatible to play and I'm generally used to the interface provided with Windows.

Uzi
06-17-2012, 04:52 AM
Windows since it's all fancy and popular. I also don't have to sit in a Starbucks.

I wish I had the half a brain needed for Linux, or I wish I wasn't technologically slow. Either of those would work.

Spitfire
06-17-2012, 10:28 AM
I grew up on Mac OSX as well as Steve Jobs so I love Mac OSX. I prefer the GUI interface of a Mac, I also like how OS upgrades are very cheap and 9/10 times better than the previous version of the OS. If I want any sort of game I an usually get it or get a similar game via the Mac App Store, so I am perfectly happy with it. However my old MacBook Pro is having some hardware issues so I've been using my spare Windows for a while now.

Tuxy
06-17-2012, 10:41 AM
I grew up using Windows (starting with Windows 95) and have used Linux for a year or two. But when I got my new PC, I started using Windows 7. Linux is awesome and I don't get it why people think it's hard to use, I actually think many distributions are even easier to handle than Windows. But I voted Windows anyway, just because it's the best and most compatible OS of them all.

Spitfire
06-17-2012, 10:50 AM
I grew up using Windows (starting with Windows 95) and have used Linux for a year or two. But when I got my new PC, I started using Windows 7. Linux is awesome and I don't get it why people think it's hard to use, I actually think many distributions are even easier to handle than Windows. But I voted Windows anyway, just because it's the best and most compatible OS of them all.

Linux is amazing, but it has a few shortcomings which can only be fixed with either difficult or odd ways. So that's why some people dislike Linux.

Christian
06-17-2012, 12:24 PM
I really prefer Windows, why? It's better in my opinion it just is.

MiniTapp
06-17-2012, 12:37 PM
I've never used Linux before, but I've heard good things about it. Macs are very good for video editing because of final cut, but Windows of course for the gaming. So that's why windows gets my vote.

Shiningbolt
06-17-2012, 01:49 PM
I'm more of a Windows fan. Like others, I grew up with it and I think it gives me more options, especially in the gaming area.

Xerodragon12
06-17-2012, 01:57 PM
Windows, by a long shot. While Mac is more sleek, Windows has more applications-AutoCAD won't run well on macs, Games won't run as well, and Windows has better virus protection (you can no longer make the Mac has no virus argument). Besides, Windows is better for programming and coding, seeing that Apple won't give out the Mac source code to mac users, in order to make a profit off of Mac. Also, if your Mac breaks, you have to buy a new one, whereas if your Windows computer breaks, you can actually take it apart and mix and match parts.

Kyoushiro
06-17-2012, 02:25 PM
I'm very defensive over my Windows computer[s] because the one time that my dad decided to get me a Mac laptop for my birthday, it mysteriously switched off within three days of owning it. And.... it never turned back on. IT WAS TRAUMATIZING.

The Arrow
06-17-2012, 02:39 PM
Well, I've always used Windows, therefore I really have no idea what Mac has or anything like that. I guess I've always just been brought up on it, so that's why.

joebob2311
06-20-2012, 07:49 PM
Windows design is better and Windows is easier to use. Windows can also function with more stuff.

jackers96
06-21-2012, 04:56 PM
I like mac windows and linux for my Laptop whitch holds all of my school work it's just easier to use windows but for my laptop where no work is used I use linux it's quick and when you get used to it quite simple and errors don't come up as much for me on linux

Will
06-21-2012, 05:01 PM
I've always preferred Windows because, to me, the interface is so much easier to mess around with and Windows does a little thing called...letting you play games.

Minntul
06-21-2012, 05:07 PM
I was brought up using Windows. I've never used a Mac or a Linux.

Garthcune
06-21-2012, 05:32 PM
I use windows. I have tried out a mac before, but they seemed overly simple for me. I know the windows OS much better than the mac OS, so it would be a disadvantage to attempt to use one. Even if I wanted to, I can't move to a mac because some daily programs that I use, aren't available for macs. I need all of my hacking tools and software dev kits. I also like the fact that windows runs on a wider range of hardware than macs. Apple is unwise for limiting the compatibility of the OS. If I want to buy a supercomputer with 128GB of RAM, 2 processors, and 4 videocards, then I will be able to run windows on it. If I want to stay slim and buy something small with half a GB of RAM, then I can also run windows on it.

I don't use linux much, but this is also due to the incompatibility of certain programs that I need to use daily. If I'm running a simple webserver, then I honestly prefer linux over windows. In my experiences over the years, there are less responsibilities to worry about, and everything runs much smoother and simpler on linux boxes.

Spitfire
06-23-2012, 03:55 PM
I use windows. I have tried out a mac before, but they seemed overly simple for me.

I love how people always say Mac is too complicated or too simple. It can never just be perfect for them. Then again those people are usually die-hard on other OS's.

ILIEKPIE
06-27-2012, 07:15 AM
I have always used windows, and i just think that it is all around better than mac. Also, i have tried using mac, but it just won't be compatible with things that i can easily do on windows

Umbrony
06-27-2012, 04:10 PM
I'd say Windows ><

SonicMario777
06-30-2012, 05:07 AM
Windows, because I find Mac to be hard to use and it didn't feel right when I tried it.

Shadowknight
06-30-2012, 09:17 AM
Windows because it's a better paced system.

Missingno
06-30-2012, 02:47 PM
Oh I didn't know a thread was started about this I guess I didn't have to make mine.

I like Macs

Shantae
06-30-2012, 03:19 PM
I use Windows, it is so efficient than Mac.

whiffet
06-30-2012, 03:49 PM
I've used both.

Mac is easier to figure out, and it seems to have fewer issues. However, Windows can do a lot more, and its issues are usually easier to fix.

When I first tried a Mac around two years ago, I thought it was the MOST AMAZING THING EVER. Then I realized I was comparing it to a really cluttered and virus-ridden laptop running Windows XP. It's my dad's; it's supposedly virus-free now and he still uses it. It can take a half-hour to boot up sometimes and it crashes about once a day. That's an unfair comparison.

Kamex
06-30-2012, 09:06 PM
To me, Windows is the easiest to use. Mac is very complicated. Then again I grew up with windows XP 2003!

bamboo37
07-02-2012, 10:37 PM
I like Windows because most things you can do only work for Windows. There are a lot more game for Windows too. Also Mac's don't have much good stuff on them that you can use.

Tainers14
07-02-2012, 11:33 PM
Linux!!!! It's just so incredible!!! Joking

I actually adore macs, I just think they are sooo cool and the best computer out there! Joking

I use windows because I can read visual novels. I also grew up using them so it would be kinda hard for me to switch away from Windows.

epickirby
07-03-2012, 08:11 PM
I prefer Windows, it's the only one I've used other than Opera... but I like Windows more.

Davismt
07-04-2012, 12:24 AM
Windows because that's what I grew up on. My first version was Windows XP. It was around 2004. I have a Windows 7 computer now and it's pretty cool!

CriticalCalla
07-04-2012, 12:53 AM
i have a windows but i want a mac

Yoshirocks341
07-10-2012, 03:09 PM
I prefer windows, its the easiest to find and use.

SilkShadow
07-10-2012, 08:22 PM
I have windows but ive always wanted a Mac and when I get to use the love em so ill go with macs

Ishnaarg
07-11-2012, 10:48 PM
For me, it depends on what I'm going to be doing. If I'm going to be casually browsing the internet or doing video editing or iPhone stuff, I'll use my Mac. If I'm going to be programming, I'll use Linux. If I'm going to be playing Warcraft 3 or League of Legends, which hardly ever happens, I'll use Windows. Out of the 3, I prefer Mac and Linux. Windows is the most inconvenient for me to use. I'm not familiar at all with the file system, and even after familiarizing myself with it, I still find it a lot harder to use than Mac or Linux file systems. I also hate how it always does those automatic updates whenever you shut the computer off. Seriously? Just give me a reminder and an option to not install, like with Mac and Linux. I'll install the updates when I want to.

I love Mac for its ease of use. The file system is a lot easier to use and more organized than the one on Windows, and iLife blows away anything that Windows has at the moment in terms of ease of use and convenience. I don't do hardcore video editing, so iMovie is great for me. My Macbook pro can also run all the games I want with the exception of 2, and since I'm not a huge PC gamer, I'm fine with that. Also contrary to popular belief, Mac OSX is just as customizable as Windows, if not more. There isn't a website dedicated to Mac themes or anything, but if you have the time to learn a simple programming language and maybe some terminal commands, you can customize it using both the terminal and a program called Geektool.

Linux is also pretty great. It is very customizable, with many different UIs to choose from, such as KDE, Gnome, and Unity if you're using Ubuntu. There are also many different distros of Linux. The ones that I have used are Mint 12, Ubuntu 10.04, 11.04, 12.04, Debian Squeeze, and Fedora 16. Since the first distro I used was Ubuntu 11.04, I ended up switching back to Ubuntu 12.04 in the end since I was familiar with the terminal commands. I would have liked to have used Debian, but my wireless internet connection wasn't working with Debian, so I just switched back to Ubuntu since it's based off of Debian. If you're into programming, there is so much support for it. When you go into the software centers, there are hundreds, if not thousands of libraries, compilers, and IDEs available for many languages.

Along with Mac OSX, there are less viruses for Linux. I know that's probably because less people use them, but if you've had problems with viruses in the past, Mac OSX and Linux are pretty virus free. I'm obviously a Mac/Linux guy. I was thinking about switching to mainly Windows sometime in a couple years, but judging how bad Windows 8 will be on normal desktops and laptops, I think I'll stick with Mac, Linux, and Windows 7. My most powerful computer is a Macbook pro, and I also have 2 Lenovo thinkpads that I put Ubuntu (with GNOME 3) and Windows 7 on. I love the direction that Mac OSX is going with the whole notification center, and cross device messaging. With Linux, I won't have a problem with changing to a new OS because even if I don't like the new UI, the new features will probably be great, and I can always switch to a new UI or maybe even a new distro.

TL;DR: I like Mac OSX and Linux more than Windows.

Tuxy
07-11-2012, 10:54 PM
I also hate how it always does those automatic updates whenever you shut the computer off. Seriously? Just give me a reminder and an option to not install, like with Mac and Linux. I'll install the updates when I want to.

There is actually an option to do so... I use it on my Windows 7 PC.

Blue
07-12-2012, 05:11 AM
Windows. It's cheaper, more customizable and the user interface looks better.

UbersSuck20
07-12-2012, 06:47 AM
Windows because it's easier to use and a lot cheaper.

Spitfire
07-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Actually people who keep saying Winows is cheaper, let me point out that Windows is an operating system and is the most expensive of the three listed. The cheapest Windows 7 I could find was $90. The newest OS X is always put at $30 or less (Mountain Lion actually costs $20), and Linux is free (most of the time). So yea so far none of you are right when you say it's cheaper.

PS: Random note by the way, PC actually doesn't mean a computer running Windows, PC stands for Personal Computer of which a Macintosh actually is.

phantomscar
07-13-2012, 12:53 PM
Windows
grew up with it, never enjoyed using Macs.

howcrowhunter
07-13-2012, 03:40 PM
Well I have both and as far as I'm concerned they pretty much do the same crapp anyway so heck would we be having this debate anyways.

Giratina720
07-13-2012, 09:53 PM
Windows. Its graphics is way better then Mac!:P

UnjustEdge
07-14-2012, 07:35 PM
I use both Windows and Mac, and I just have to say I prefer Macs much more. The only reason why I use Windows is for Windows-specific gaming. With a Mac, it feels much more smooth. It is quite simple to use, and I definitely like its interface. You get basically no viruses and browsing the internet is much smoother with the Mac and its trackpad, which you can use to go forward and backward on pages. The various programs that a Mac has is also useful and simple, such as iMovie, iPhoto, and the Mail app, which you don't even have to go to website to access your email.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-14-2012, 08:04 PM
At first I was more of a fan of Windows, but that was until this March. Now I am a fan of Mac.

SuperSkittle
07-14-2012, 08:43 PM
I like mac because my windows crashed on me so i have a mac now runs more smoothly than windows

Prospering
07-14-2012, 08:52 PM
Ive always liked Windows Macs are way to expensive.

Totodile
08-06-2012, 08:07 AM
Windows is the best. It gives you everything you need plus it's easier to find some things on the internet about Windows then it is mac.

Kyoits
08-06-2012, 04:08 PM
I like Windows because Mac can't get lots of games and i have always used Windows

Ferrospike
08-06-2012, 06:50 PM
I don't like Mac so Windows for me also because I think its much more user-friendly.

UbersSuck20
08-07-2012, 06:38 PM
Actually people who keep saying Winows is cheaper, let me point out that Windows is an operating system and is the most expensive of the three listed. The cheapest Windows 7 I could find was $90. The newest OS X is always put at $30 or less (Mountain Lion actually costs $20), and Linux is free (most of the time). So yea so far none of you are right when you say it's cheaper.

PS: Random note by the way, PC actually doesn't mean a computer running Windows, PC stands for Personal Computer of which a Macintosh actually is.
Don't forget that Macs are very expensive(some even exceeding $5000), whereas all you need to have to run Windows 7 is 512MB of RAM.

Spitfire
08-07-2012, 08:13 PM
Don't forget that Macs are very expensive(some even exceeding $5000), whereas all you need to have to run Windows 7 is 512MB of RAM.

Yes please go hook up your Windows 7 disk with your RAM without an optical drive, motherboard, HDD/SSD, GPU/Integrated Graphics, southbridge, northbridge, etc. and come back to me and tell me how it works. Also don't forget that Apple uses high quality materials when they make their computers. On top of that don't forget that like I said Windows 7 costs much more than a version of Mac OS X. Also don't forget that when we're talking about the computers themselves that MacBook Pros have a Quad core CPU with hyperthreading. You're running up in price to even come close no matter how you look at it. Also for your $5000 Mac you are referring to the most expensive one you can get the Mac Pro, which if you customize all the way can cost over $20,000 (and that computer will last you your lifetime). As well as Apple's highly praised customer care and don't forget about the help you can get by talking to a Mac genius at any of the stores. Also if you want to take that way out there are versions of Linux which require next to nothing to run.

Please come back when you learn something about computers.

Suprsilver
08-07-2012, 09:55 PM
Windows 'cuz it's simpler to use and it's cheaper. For programmers and the such, though, Mac is probably better.

Sean
12-17-2012, 02:07 PM
I use a Mac, I got it when I was a foolish preteen, now as a teenage gamer I regret it so much.

megagamer
12-18-2012, 12:18 PM
Mac. I have Windows too but Mac is better

MegaBEAST
12-22-2012, 03:58 PM
I have a dell but hope to get the new macbook at the end of the year! I can't wait!!!

LuckyLapras
12-22-2012, 05:58 PM
Windows. I cannot live without a Taskbar.

newsupermariobros
12-22-2012, 11:04 PM
Windows.I've never had mac before.Always windows.

Zeedief
12-22-2012, 11:36 PM
I've never really liked Macs, so I'd go with Windows.

Sean
12-22-2012, 11:47 PM
A Taskbar? I think Mac has a similar thing...

Liegesauras
12-23-2012, 12:11 AM
I gotta go with Windows. I'm a gamer, and Mac is not suited for that at all. Also, when Steve Jobs died, Apple died a little too.

pikachumaster
12-23-2012, 12:23 AM
Windows. I have always used Windows.

Besides, I had failed an assignment because Mac messes up files made on Windows.

Sammiiee13
12-23-2012, 04:50 AM
I currently use a laptop with windows on it. However I do wish to purchase a Mac at some point. I have used my dads and I personally really like it. As I am currently a very broke college student, it will not be for a while.

TheTrainerExpert
12-29-2012, 05:19 AM
I really love Windows, I have always used it!

24kShinx
12-31-2012, 09:17 PM
I've never used anything other than Windows; so Windows for me

Ayra
01-03-2013, 10:37 PM
as a child and such, i grew up with windows. ATM, however, i use a mac. i actually like both as they are good in their own ways. for gaming: windows. for programming: mac. as for linux, i havn't tried that, so i cant judge.

Wigglytuff
01-15-2013, 04:34 AM
Personally, I found Mac OS X to be a heck of a lot stabler than Windows. Also, it has the advantage in terms of security because it doesn't own a large market share of PCs. This is why a lot business and art professionals prefer Macs.

But Windows is definitely has the edge in compatibility, gaming, and price. It's also a lot more versatile, considering Mac can't be installed on a custom PC without using Hackintosh.

If I had to choose, I'd go with Mac. You can install Windows on a separate partition, anyway.

Krauersaut
01-26-2013, 10:32 PM
I grew up with windows, but in Grade 6 I switched schools, and Macbooks were mandatory. I've been hooked on it since. :D

Gamersaiyan4
06-19-2013, 08:45 PM
Windows because well I never really used anything else and I'm quite happy with it.

ShadowJolteon
06-28-2013, 09:23 PM
I like Mac just a little bit better then windows.

shadowdude
06-29-2013, 04:40 AM
Windows, there is absolutely no question about it, have you ever tried to play minecraft on a mac? if you have you would know it just doesn't work.

Ame
07-03-2013, 08:35 PM
I've never had the chance to use any other operating systems apart from Windows.
I grew up with it and I've heard a lot of people saying that Mac and Linux are much better (which is probably true).
However, since it doesn't seem to have any problem to handle what I use it for, I'm happy with it and I don't wish for anything better.

GroundX3RO
07-12-2013, 06:07 AM
Windows, there is absolutely no question about it, have you ever tried to play minecraft on a mac? if you have you would know it just doesn't work.

Actually, I have a mac and although I don't play minecraft, I do play skyrim and I assume the principles are the same. It's actually quite easy to load up windows interface to do the things that only work on windows. They have a built in program called bootcamp, or you can buy a better program like parallels. It works flawlessly and although it would be faster if you could just no it on mac interface, the i7 quad core intel processer and 16 gigs of ram more than makes up for it. I absolutely love my mac and would never go back to windows.

Will
07-12-2013, 01:40 PM
In my opinion, Windows has already been the better OS. It's a shame though because Windows 7 was so good and 8 was a such a huge disappointment. At least so far.

Shaymin
07-12-2013, 02:32 PM
Personally I think Mac is mainly for appeal, so I'm gonna say Windows since I grew up with it. Never used a Mac before, though.