PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8

Patriot
06-18-2012, 12:34 AM
Windows 8 is Microsoft's next iteration of the Windows operating systems. It's new main UI looks very similar to Windows Phone 7's UI, and makes use of the Metro design. Of course, it will still retain a traditional desktop as a Metro "app" for compatibility reasons. There are also various other improvements, such as fast startup times and being able to work on tablets and touchscreens.

So what are your thoughts?

I'm very skeptical of Windows 8, because from what I've seen so far, in Metro, you can only download programs, or "apps" as they call it, through their app store. (Correct me if I'm wrong) This seems severely limiting, and yes there is a compatibility desktop that can run old programs, but it's only gonna get worse from here. It also seems like there is less customizability, which is upsetting. Supposedly, they're trying to make their software look the same across Windows devices, (PCs, tablets, smartphones, laptops, etc.) which I think is the wrong idea because of how different they are. That's my opinion, what about yours?

Triplewolf
06-18-2012, 12:37 AM
So far it has not impressed me in anyway, shape, or form.

Uzi
06-18-2012, 12:46 AM
Like X has said in the past when we discussed it, it's basically putting the Windows Phone OS on a PC. It's a really bad idea, I for one miss the taskbar and I think it looks really ugly since we're not on a tablet. But Windows always comes out with a decent OS after a bad one (XP -> Vista -> 7). So I'm hoping they pull themselves out of this rut after Windows 8 comes out.

Patriot
06-18-2012, 12:53 AM
The taskbar is still present, but only in the traditional desktop compatibility mode. Of course, if they still continue down this path, then I'm pretty sure we'll be stuck forever with Metro.

XpL
06-18-2012, 01:36 AM
It won't be accepted in the work environment.
Win XP is still the most widely used because the server version is great and cheap. Win 7 adds the capacity and like XP, very good to use in that environment.
Windows 8 following traditional Microsoft OS trends, won't. I just know. Everyone knows it's odd numbers for good Windows versions.

95 Bad
98 Good
2000 Bad
XP Good
Vista Bad
7 Good
8 ?

Blue
06-18-2012, 01:39 AM
I used Windows 8 on a virtual computer. It works pretty well. I can't use it on a touchscreen though.

In my opinion, Microsoft shouldn't put both Metro and classic Windows into one OS. If the tablet is a touchscreen, I don't want to see the desktop. If the computer isn't a touch screen, I don't want to see Metro. Microsoft shouldn't be cramming two UIs into one OS. Microsoft needs to give the user a choice between Aero and Metro. Older, legacy Windows programs can run on Windows 8 in destop mode, however I think it should be handled in a different way. Windows 8 will be good on a tablet and not so good in a desktop. I also don't think Microsoft should lock down the Metro app store. It used to be that Windows allowed you to run anything. They shouldn't change that.

Microsoft is making bold changes. (Removing the start button from desktop mode).
Microsoft is taking the biggest risk ever with Windows 8.

Spitfire
06-18-2012, 01:49 AM
Windows 8 looks too optimized for tablet computers. Although with the setup they'll be saving a lot on CPU power it just doesn't look nearly as good.

XpL
06-18-2012, 01:55 AM
Windows 8 looks too optimized for tablet computers.
It was designed with this in mind right from the beginning. Microsoft are trying to force tablets to be more widely used.

Garthcune
06-18-2012, 03:00 AM
I simply refuse to use Windows 8! I will be hopefully waiting that Windows 9 will be better.

First of all, I hate the blocky design as the startup screen. I don't need a touch interface on my desktop, and Microsoft is perfectly capable of detecting whether I even have a touchscreen, so there is no excuse why there should be a touch-optomized interface on my non-touch device.

I don't care about the faster startup times. My computer is already fast enough to boot in seconds. It doesn't affect me anyways, since I leave my computer on 24/7. I can use hibernation or stand-by mode if I wanted to startup instantly.

I also hate the fact that the start menu is missing. I need, and must have, my start menu. I don't understand why Microsoft would suddenly remove a standard feature that we've all gotten to love, ever since the days of Windows '95.

Blue
06-18-2012, 03:26 AM
I also hate the fact that the start menu is missing. I need, and must have, my start menu. I don't understand why Microsoft would suddenly remove a standard feature that we've all gotten to love, ever since the days of Windows '95.

You can just put the programs you use on to the start screen. You can also view all programs you have on the start screen, and pin stuff.

I tried out the release preview. It's basically an enlarged start menu.

Spitfire
06-18-2012, 11:46 AM
I need a a taskbar, that's where I keep all of my applications for easy access.

The Arrow
06-18-2012, 03:06 PM
Yeah, this stupid Windows 8 is really bugging me. Like Garth, I hate the fact that they don't have a Start Menu because that's where I keep all my important programs and I like it a lot better than on my Desktop. I don't know where Microsoft is going with this, but they better turn this boat around or else no one is going to use their crappy software.

Tuxy
06-18-2012, 03:40 PM
I hope Windows 8 is just a bad, bad joke...
I mean, I can see it how people will use tablets more often than regular PCs or Laptops, but not in 2012/13/14. And for companies and people that have to do their work with their PC: no, just no!

joebob2311
06-20-2012, 07:45 PM
Windows 8 sucks out loud because it has a similar design to one of a Windows phone. PLUS I HATE METRO

Samlaptop
06-27-2012, 08:57 PM
I use the release preview on my custom built machine and it runs rather smooth but sometimes it freezes and I have to reboot my PC. Luckily I have a reset button on my case which I press if the computer comes to a complete halt.

Rumours arround the net are saying that Windows 8 may RTM next month and it will probably leak!

tinksfinks
06-29-2012, 05:15 PM
I'm still not sure about Windows 8 for PCs but for tablets, I'm pretty impressed. Microsoft Surface looks a killer product. The built in keyboard/cover is just genius. I think Apple and Google still have a huge lead over Microsoft but I'm glad that Microsoft is catching up.

Spitfire
06-30-2012, 03:03 AM
Windows 8 sucks out loud because it has a similar design to one of a Windows phone. PLUS I HATE METRO

That's because they're trying to make all of their products more unified instead of different.

Blue
06-30-2012, 06:16 AM
I'm still not sure about Windows 8 for PCs but for tablets, I'm pretty impressed. Microsoft Surface looks a killer product. The built in keyboard/cover is just genius. I think Apple and Google still have a huge lead over Microsoft but I'm glad that Microsoft is catching up.

I find Windows 8 works pretty well on a mouse and keyboard. The only complaint I have is that the apps aren't optimized for mouses and keyboards that well.

Spitfire
06-30-2012, 02:19 PM
My biggest complaint is just that they're getting rid of too much too quickly. However unlike in the OS X market, people in the Windows market hardly ever upgrade.

Minntul
06-30-2012, 05:08 PM
By the time Windows 8 comes out, I'll still be using out dated hardware.

So far, I'm not impressed with Windows 8. I think I'll get Windows 7 instead since I need my taskbar.

bamboo37
07-01-2012, 04:25 PM
It looks like it is going to be good besides the start menu. Also I hope it can play xbox 360 games. If it can't then I am going to be mad. I just hope it is very good.

Samlaptop
08-03-2012, 02:39 PM
Windows 8 Enterprise N has been leaked by the Russians. N versions do not have Media Player!

Tuxy
08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
I saw some pictures of the leaked version... It seems pretty useable now, but it's still really bad.

Patriot
08-03-2012, 10:56 PM
And soon, Microsoft is gonna force us to use touchscreen monitors no doubt. I hope this fails miserably.

Shantae
08-03-2012, 11:26 PM
As Tux said. Right now, I see the leak of what Windows 8 looks like. I have my doubt that Windows 8 will be terrible by how it gonna turns out and the selling through. Meh, Microsoft. The touchscreen idea is just total nightmare for me.

Red
08-03-2012, 11:39 PM
Microsoft isn't going to force people to use touchscreens. If you people did a little research you'd find that keyboard and mouse support is still implemented.

I'd much rather stick with Windows 7 though. It has everything I actually need. Heck, I'd use XP still if it wasn't for it's massive security hole.

tinksfinks
08-05-2012, 05:45 AM
I'm sure you can actually remove Metro if you're not on a tablet...

Tuxy
08-05-2012, 08:23 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVUXLBJg14

No... Just no

Luna
08-05-2012, 09:09 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZlVUXLBJg14

No... Just no
Erm... What has that got to do with Windows 8?

Oh, and on topic...
I haven't really seen 8, but I'll most likely keep with 7 anyway.

UbersSuck20
08-05-2012, 10:34 AM
I've actually tested Windows 8 before it's release.
First I've used Windows 8 Milestone 3, but that milestone was bad. Even though I've got a pretty bad PC, I didn't expect M3 to be so slow. The games didn't work, the browser was really slow and yeah. I've reverted to windows 7 after 4 days of testing.
After that I've used Developer Preview. Man that build was amazing. It had short boot time, the YouTube videos were playing with no problems, the games worked like a charm, and I never got BSOD(did you know that there is a new one in Windows 8?) I've used it until March 2012.
Then Consumer Preview came and with it I thought Windows 8 would suck big time. Consumer Preview was basically the OPPOSITE of Developer Preview. The driver for my video card did not work, and such... yea. I reverted to Win 7 in a few days. Due to Consumer Preview sucking so bad, I didn't even test Release Preview.

I'll probably test the manufacturing version in August, even though that's not set in stone.

Tuxy
08-05-2012, 03:29 PM
Erm... What has that got to do with Windows 8?

Oh, and on topic...
I haven't really seen 8, but I'll most likely keep with 7 anyway.

Wait... I posted that in this thread? How did that happen? Can a mod please delete this post, it was supposed to be in another thread.

Kyoits
08-10-2012, 03:33 AM
I don't like Windows 8 because somehow me and my cousin were playing LoL and some warning came up on his screen then his whole computer crashed and he had to get a new one 5 months later (must've been hard without the internet for that long)

BreeZaps
08-10-2012, 04:20 AM
Windows 8 sounds BAD. I like new stuff like New DS new Laptops and new EVERYTHING but for once I am going to say that WINDOWS 8 IS BAD.
If someone asks me to get Windows 8 im going to say

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKI-tD0L18A
I perfer my Windows Vista or Windows 7 thank you. :/

Zachgoose
08-10-2012, 08:33 AM
I simply refuse to use Windows 8! I will be hopefully waiting that Windows 9 will be better.

First of all, I hate the blocky design as the startup screen. I don't need a touch interface on my desktop, and Microsoft is perfectly capable of detecting whether I even have a touchscreen, so there is no excuse why there should be a touch-optomized interface on my non-touch device.

I don't care about the faster startup times. My computer is already fast enough to boot in seconds. It doesn't affect me anyways, since I leave my computer on 24/7. I can use hibernation or stand-by mode if I wanted to startup instantly.

I agree with Garthy completely.

I hate how they've removed a lot of the functionality to make things a lot more simplistic and stylish.

Luna
08-10-2012, 09:02 AM
I have watched one thing about 8, and NO ONE in the audience was impressed.
I turned the video off after 2 minutes because it didn't seem good at all, so no way I'm getting it. I'll just wait for W9

Dragonslayer
08-10-2012, 03:12 PM
I saw Windows 8, it looks like the android page. I prefer Windows 7,which is what i'm currently using.