PDA

View Full Version : Castlevania thread/ Favorite Castlevania game

Loogy
06-19-2012, 03:46 AM
Mine is aria of sorrows

Weavile
06-19-2012, 03:51 AM
Super Castlevania IV is by far my favorite, because of how smooth and deliciously it controls. Simon's Quest comes in close second because of the music.

ShadowMr.L
06-19-2012, 03:51 AM
castlevaniaaria of sorrows

I've never heard of that game. Anyway; My favorite Castlevania games are Order of Ecclesia and Aria of Sorrow.

Prospering
06-19-2012, 05:39 AM
Aria of sorrow because SuperSkarmory made a great walkthrough on it.

Minntul
06-19-2012, 07:04 AM
Super Castlevania IV.

So much atmosphere for an SNES game and did a great job improving on the NES trilogy.

DeMrTeunio
06-19-2012, 09:11 AM
Symphony of the Night is my favorite, followed by Super CastleVania IV and Order of Ecclesia.

Rotomthemotor
06-19-2012, 11:11 AM
#UnpopularOpinion
Order of Ecclesia. It was just so good. I loved the glyph system. And the characters were just amazing. The difficulty played into why I loved it. ^^

DeMrTeunio
06-19-2012, 02:34 PM
#UnpopularOpinion
Order of Ecclesia. It was just so good. I loved the glyph system. And the characters were just amazing. The difficulty played into why I loved it. ^^

Well, Order of Ecclesia isn't exactly #UnpopularOpinion. I've seen several people, including myself, mentioning it already. Order of Ecclesia is just one of the best CastleVania games. The glyph system was awesome, the protagonist was cool, the controls were smooth and it was a nice challenge.

The Arrow
06-19-2012, 04:53 PM
Aria of Sorrow and Circle of the Moon. I also like Order of Ecclesia but I was never too thrilled with the Glyph system so that's why it's not one of my favorites.

Patriot
06-20-2012, 03:53 AM
Order of Ecclesia, hands down. Probably because that's the only Castlevania game I've ever played.

Ishnaarg
07-14-2012, 08:07 AM
I'd have to split the Castlevania games into 3 categories: The metroidvania games, the traditional stage based games, and the 3D Castlevania games. Since I haven't played any of the 3D ones, I'll just judge the other 2. My favorite metroidvania game is Aria of Sorrow. The music is superb, the story was pretty unique for a Castlvania game during that time period, there were lots of enjoyable weapons, the boss fights (especially Julius) were fun, and exploring the castle was a joy. My favorite traditional Castlevania game is Super Castlevania 4. It's challenging, the graphics and environments were really awesome (like the rotating environments and the one where the background kinda spins around), the whip controls worked really well, the music is classic, and the stages are very well designed.

UnjustEdge
07-14-2012, 07:11 PM
Like Ishnaarg above, I would have to split my favorite Castlevania games into the metroidvanias and the linear based games. As for metroidvanias, Symphony of the Night is definitely my favorite. The environments in that game are very well designed, so you can tell that the developers gave a lot of effort into the game. Exploration is big as well, with two castles to explore, and a variety of places from the Underground Caverns to the Clock Tower. I also liked the in-depth RPG aspects of the game, such as the equipment. There's lots of combinations of equipment you can create, from the various shields to the extremely overpowered Crissaegrim or just the Alucard sword, which you can pair up with other weapons as well. I tend to have lots of fun making different combinations of weapons and armor while going through the castle destroying any enemies I see. The spells were a nice addition to the game as well. I liked using hellfire and soul steal when I didn't feel like attacking with a weapon. Transforming into a wolf, bat, and mist was nice as well. The music was extremely well done too. Many soundtracks of that game fit the corresponding areas that they were in, like how Dracula's Castle gave you a feeling of how the game is just beginning, and is welcoming you to stay and continue. Boss battle music also gives off a sense of utter chaos which pumps you up or a sense of great disturbance that makes you aware of the powerful enemy you are facing. However, one aspect of the game I didn't really like was the difficulty, which was quite easy. However, that doesn't deter it from making it a fun game to explore while listening to the music and having fun with the amount of equipment you have. After you beat the game with Alucard, you could also play with Richter. Maria is also playable, but you would need the PSP version in order to do that, or have the Sega Saturn version. These two provide new styles of gameplay, which can keep the game fresh as you go through the castles.
As for the linear ones, I would have to say Rondo of Blood is my most favorite. The soundtrack in that game was also well done. For a linear game, it wasn't too linear like the previous games. The game had many alternate paths that lead to alternate bosses and alternate stages. It was very fun going to every stage and finding every alternative path there was. As for Richter himself, it was a downgrade from Simon's 8-direction whipping, but I felt like that just added to the challenge. The controls were smooth, and I felt fine with Richter just whipping forward. The game is quite challenging, like other linear Castlevania games. It took my multiple tries to get through a stage or boss. The stages were well-designed, and it took pure skill to get through them. At the end, I felt satisfied because I was able to get through a hard stage and boss with enough effort. Many of the bosses were quite fun to fight, such as the werewolf, minotaur, and Death. I also liked how they brought back the four bosses of the original Castlevania, which you had to fight before going against Shaft. Maria was also a great addition, and a fun one too. Her mobility is much greater than Richter's, and she can do more damage. However, she takes more damage, so one should be cautious while using her. Maria could also explore places that Richter cannot, which adds to the fun of exploring. The anime cutscenes were a nice addition, adding more depth to the characters themselves and enhancing the story. Overall, Rondo of Blood had a great soundtrack, lots of exploring for a linear Castlevania game, two characters to play as, challenging stages and bosses, and characters which were given more depth.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-14-2012, 07:34 PM
I would have to say that my favorite Castlevania game is Castlevania Portrait of Ruin since it takes place during World War II.

gamerx2
07-15-2012, 06:29 PM
Super castlevania IV.
This game has great game play, a longer whip and great music. I love this game.

king of wolfs
08-08-2012, 11:57 PM
dawn of sowwor for me it looks amazing the soul system is great the story is epic it fell real how they act

Kyoits
08-10-2012, 12:37 AM
My favorite would have to Aria of Sorrow

I really started playing this game after SS did his walkthrough on it, and am i thankfull cause that was one of the best games that i've ever played (for the ds)

Zachgoose
08-10-2012, 08:48 AM
Unfortunately, I never really got into Castlevania. The only one I've played period is Order of Ecclesia. I'd love to try them sometime, though.

Shantae
08-10-2012, 09:08 PM
I wasn't that hook to Castlevania games. But, I do have a favorite Castlevania game which is Castlevania Order of Ecclesia. It pretty good game, plus SS did a walkthrough in that game so it's plus. Lastly, there are some good Castlevania music themes in comes in my mind. This link (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QcvZq0Z8U54) is one of my favorite Castlevania theme music.

Shiningbolt
08-10-2012, 10:23 PM
Since Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia is the only Castlevania game I played, I'll go with that one. It was fun jumping around, dodging all sorts of crazy attacks and memorizing spacing and attack paths for different weapons. I may try other games later on, but I'm not too sure.

Shaymin
07-01-2013, 04:27 AM
Holy gods, how did I not find this thread.

Since it is a general Castlevania thread, I'll give my thoughts about it. First, it's amazing. It's got some great music, gameplay is hard (in a good way), and it's addicting once you get into it. My only complaint is that the games are often short. XD

My favorite game in the series is Order of Ecclesia. It's because of all the reasons I listed above and more. The glyph system is very interesting with all of the different combinations you could make. A female protagonist is also nice, considering most of the protagonists in the Castlevania series are male. Character development is good too. And . . . is it just me, or is the backdash better than normal? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-01-2013, 01:46 PM
Holy gods, how did I not find this thread.

Since it is a general Castlevania thread, I'll give my thoughts about it. First, it's amazing. It's got some great music, gameplay is hard (in a good way), and it's addicting once you get into it. My only complaint is that the games are often short. XD

My favorite game in the series is Order of Ecclesia. It's because of all the reasons I listed above and more. The glyph system is very interesting with all of the different combinations you could make. A female protagonist is also nice, considering most of the protagonists in the Castlevania series are male. Character development is good too. And . . . is it just me, or is the backdash better than normal? I dunno, maybe it's just me.

Ahem, Portrait of Ruin has both a male protagonist and a female protagonist.

Shaymin
07-01-2013, 02:05 PM
Ahem, Portrait of Ruin has both a male protagonist and a female protagonist.

^_^; May I clarify?

A female protagonist is also nice, considering most of the protagonists in the Castlevania series are male.