PDA

View Full Version : Guide to Reputation System and Reporting

Super Skarmory
06-20-2012, 02:47 AM
There has been a lot of discussion over the reputation in it's beta stages so I'm finally making a thread to explain this system so we can clear up things a bit. Reputation is a system that was implemented in order to help make the ranking system more based on the quality of the user and less on the quantity of posts they make. I think I'm going to bullet point this for organization because there is several things you should know.

- Users start out with 0 reputation (unless you're somebody who registered in pre-beta stage, aka most staff and a few test accounts, they started with 10 before we adjusted the system which should probably be none of you)
- Users cannot give reputation until they reach Bronze rank
- Users cannot give negative reputation until Silver rank
- All mods and admins can give both positive and negative reputation

- All users start with 1 point of reputation altering power
-- This means that when you give reputation, the person who got rated has their value altered by 1 point
--- Ex, my reputation is 20 and somebody rates me up, it is now 21.
- Admins purposefully have a base of 10 points of reputation altering power and will watch for good users and spammy users who should not move up in rank, our reputation matters most.
- Your reputation altering power is increased by 1 for:
-- Every 100 points of reputation you have
-- Every 100 posts you have
-- Every year you are on the forums
-- This maxes at 10 for everyone including admins no matter what
- Your reputation must be at least 0 yourself to be able to give reputation, if you drop below this value, you lose the ability to give reputation, even if you reached bronze rank before dropping below 0 reputation. Visit the ranks thread if you want to know about that.

- You can only give reputation 10 times a day
- You can't give reputation to the same user until you give reputation to at least 10 other people
-- This is to encourage giving reputation to everyone and not just to your close friends. I know it may not seem right, but it's another safeguard to prevent abuse of the system.

-In addition, "liking" a post provides 1 point of reputation.

Some general notes about the reputation system:
- This system is set in place to be very safe guarded against trolls and spammers and hopefully our safe guards will cut down on people who abuse the system as much as possible if not entirely.
- This system is as strong as you choose to make it. The reputation button should be in the bottom left of posts as soon as you reach bronze rank. We strongly wish that you use this system to its fullest because it makes for a stronger community and when combined with the rank system proves that a user is as good as there post count claims it to be.
- REMEMBER: Regular users can't give negative reputation until silver rank. If you get negative reputation, get over it. The reputation system shows quite literally your reputation on this site and sometimes that means you may take a few negative hits. If somebody gives you negative reputation for whatever reason, they disagree with you and do not think you're contributing to the site, this does not mean you're a bad user. If you're reputation goes into the negative, then consider reading the rules which you probably did not read and make your posts more detailed and interesting and you'll be back to positive in no time.
- If you are a user at least at silver rank and can give negative reputation, please use proper judgement and only give negative reputation if you think a users posts are a negative contribution to the community. Focus on positive reputation and use negative reputation sparingly on people you think are poorly contributing with bad posts.
- If you whine about negative reputation, you probably deserved it, suck it up and make yourself a better person. I want this to be a great community and I want to see everybody grow to be better people, even including myself, we can always improve and there is no shame in mistakes.
- A lot of the system is currently hidden on purpose minus a users actual reputation.
- The bar below your title reflects on your reputation, this needs mildly updated but red is negative, grey is 0, and green is positive.

Notes on the Reporting System:
- READ THE RULES (http://superskarmory.net/forum/announcement.php?f=4&a=1), they have 136 views at the time of making this post, I know many of you have ignored them.
- The mods appreciate your help as we can not view everything, well, we can in beta stage but not when the site becomes more popular. Along with reputation, the report button should be near the bottom left of the box for a persons post. Use the report button to point out people who break the rules.
- Do not make a false report to get somebody in trouble, we will infract you instead for wasting moderator time.

To conclude, we strongly encourage the usage of both of these systems but they can only be as useful and great as the users themselves make them. We will try to tweak the system as we see fit and hopefully this will clear any confusion.

ZACH EDIT: UNSTICKED BECAUSE IRRELEVANT NOW

The Arrow
06-20-2012, 02:56 AM
I believe the reputation system is very well laid out, and I believe it helps distinguish the better qualities of some users and the bad qualities of others. I like the idea of giving reputation because of a user that is contributing to the community.

Shiningbolt
06-20-2012, 03:59 AM
Yes, you did a very good job with eliminating problems involving reputation abuse. I...actually have nothing to complain about. You're scaring me, Eyan. It does have flaws, mostly concerning finding 10 people to raise before you get back to that amazing post you saw the other day/week, but hopefully that problem won't show itself too often. No system is flawless, however. You can only do what you can, which in this case seems to be a lot.
I look forward to seeing how this works out later on as this forum progresses.

On a different note, stop reading people's minds with that "I know you guys are ignoring the rules". I'm starting to feel paranoid here...

X!!
06-20-2012, 06:02 AM
Is it possible to rank down?

Let's say for example that I'm a Silver user. I have exactly 10 reputation and someone gives me bad reputation, making my reputation 9. Will I rank down because of this? (Silver Rank = 2 weeks, 100 posts and 10 reputation)

Super Skarmory
06-20-2012, 07:54 AM
It should be set up so you don't rank down. I feel that if you reach the rank, it's kind of wrong to rank down. I won't know for sure unless it is tested in some way which I'm sure one of these days if I'm curious enough I'll use a test account.

DeMrTeunio
06-20-2012, 07:58 AM
I think this system is really well thought-out. Like that you have to give 10 other users reputation before giving the same member again, I think that's a really nice touch

Christian
06-20-2012, 10:23 AM
Yeah, you guys are stealing the words out of my mouth. This system is great, it prevents everything bad and at the same time it adds that great touch to the ranking systems.
Great job.

Garthcune
06-20-2012, 03:52 PM
I am testing our promotion system right now. If down-ranking occurs, then I will let you all know.

I'd like to consider inflating the rewards since we have the space available to us. Perhaps we could multiply the amount of stored PMs by 10?

tinksfinks
06-20-2012, 04:29 PM
Will there be a carrot/stick system for positive and negative reputation?

ILIEKPIE
06-20-2012, 11:16 PM
I think that this is a well planned system, and with you laying out the rules and such it is sure to keep away some of the spammers. Also, i really like he ranking system where you can get bonuses by being a part of this forum. Overall i think that you did an excellent job on executing the entire system and re-building the forum.

bamboo37
06-21-2012, 02:47 PM
Now I don't have to worry about the posts. I don't always want to just post. Then there is no fun to it. Now you to be good on the forums. I think this will work great.

SonicMario777
06-22-2012, 04:56 AM
Less Posts and more Reputation. It makes for a balanced ranking system and proper upgrading to those who deserve it.

Samurott12
06-28-2012, 01:49 PM
I have a question. How do I know my reputation?

Christian
06-28-2012, 01:53 PM
I have a question. How do I know my reputation?

If you want to know YOUR own reputation, go to -> Settings -> General settings and there you can see your rep :)!

probe5
06-28-2012, 03:55 PM
Well This seems legit. Thank you.

Bookmaniac
06-28-2012, 05:23 PM
I like this system a lot because it gives everyone a chance to grow and to help others grow. It doesn't seem right to give mode all of the power and this system fixes that. This is well organized and cool.

Umbrony
07-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Yes, I like the way this is set up. I somehow got a bunch of rep for just using my index finger. .w.

Kamex
07-02-2012, 09:28 PM
I somehow got a bunch of rep for just using my index finger. .w.
Well, your drawings do kick tail...

Anyway I think this is a great idea! It will keep some people from spamming the heck out of the threads. I'll admit in the last V-bulletin I posted 45 posts in a day just so I can get to blue rank, but now I'm a year older and wiser and I wont do such things! :3 (because I can't anyway :P )

SuperSkarnmory
07-04-2012, 11:55 PM
I like this! :)

Umbrony
07-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Yes. The Eevee approves. This is a great way to keep the system running. :3
And thanks for complimenting my drawings, GG! that's so sweet of you! :3 I love making people happy. And if drawing does it, let the finger move!

BreeZaps
07-10-2012, 03:27 AM
I love this System :D i agree :)

Shadowknight
07-10-2012, 04:30 AM
The system is great don't you agree people? XD

X!!
07-10-2012, 06:28 AM
Even though I hate the reputation system, I have to admit that it's very fair and that it's for the better.

AssassinAbsol
07-15-2012, 10:02 PM
love the rep + ranking

Suprsilver
07-16-2012, 02:06 AM
Nice system, it's a pretty good idea to increase the weight of your reputation the better reputation you have yourself.

mars29979
07-25-2012, 07:43 AM
yeah if you have worked hard for that rank you shouldnt be down graded but maybe you keep the rank but say like silver rankif you lose your reputation you cant down grade offer people or something like that

Kyoits
07-29-2012, 10:24 PM
This sounds like an excellent system

Champion Cynthia
08-06-2012, 04:07 AM
Love the spam free part * CoughLaprasStorm2.0 Coughh

newsupermariobros
08-17-2012, 03:27 PM
It's cool and it's fun

herothezero
09-22-2012, 05:52 PM
This system doesn't seem seem to have something you popped out of nowhere and just went with it. It must have taken a lot of time to create. However, I wonder, is there a prize for any of this.

Tuxy
09-22-2012, 05:54 PM
However, I wonder, is there a prize for any of this.

http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?252-Guide-to-the-Ranking-System

This

Zekrom man
09-24-2012, 11:53 PM
I think the reputation system was a good idea.

24kShinx
10-10-2012, 05:43 PM
Sounds like a lot of thought and hard work has been put in to provide a better community to those who want it; in this case "those who want it" is anyone and everyone who have good intentions on this forum

Clairvoya
11-29-2012, 09:21 PM
I have a question: Why can't we see who gives us rep/why they do it?

Merga
11-29-2012, 09:32 PM

I can answer that, it's because people were crying and being butthurt whenever someone neg reps them. That's why the decision was made to take off that feature.

Pokemon73
11-29-2012, 09:42 PM
can we delete the negative rep button please?

Spitfire
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM

For example someone thought that I gave them negative rep (even though I didn't) so they negative repped me for that reason.

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-ynfzjj7yAUU/T3B-1-kz4rI/AAAAAAAAB-w/pXfxOd9KK5M/s1600/true+story.jpg

pikachumaster
11-29-2012, 10:55 PM

No, they can't. It's only fair that if someone is not a good member that they get negative rep.

lolpokemon73sig

Pokemon73
11-29-2012, 11:12 PM
No, they can't. It's only fair that if someone is not a good member that they get negative rep.

lolpokemon73sig

then why do i get negative rep if i do nothing wrong here?

BreeZaps
11-29-2012, 11:12 PM

hahahahahahahahahahahahjahahahahahaha OMG I'm dieing lolololololol xD

YOU DO EVERYTHING WRONG!!!! Remember that night when you were hitting on me?
Remember when you spammed?
Here comes another fight started by Pokemon73 again...

Dragonite
11-29-2012, 11:14 PM
Can there pleeeeeeease not be another fight in this thread today?

Austin
11-29-2012, 11:18 PM
Can there pleeeeeeease not be another fight in this thread today?

Mortal Kombat..... FIGHT!!!

Umbrony
11-29-2012, 11:21 PM
YOU DO EVERYTHING WRONG!!!! Remember that night when you were hitting on me?
Remember when you spammed?
Here comes another fight started by Pokemon73 again...

That's a bit harsh Bree. =\

Pokemon73, DO NOT post in this thread anymore. It is considered double posting/spam. If you have any remaining questions regarding the system and features that go along with it, or feedback, the rest of us would appreciate it if you messaged a staff member regarding that, and not always posting here.

BreeZaps
11-29-2012, 11:23 PM
That's a bit harsh Bree. =\

Pokemon73, DO NOT post in this thread anymore. It is considered double posting/spam. If you have any remaining questions regarding the system and features that go along with it, or feedback, the rest of us would appreciate it if you messaged a staff member regarding that, and not always posting here.

Sorry Emily. I just found it funny. But shes right. Pokemon73 plz stop posting here and go Pm a staff or post in that thread.

pikachumaster
11-29-2012, 11:29 PM

You spam, sometimes bother other users (including me), blah, blah.

Shaymin
11-30-2012, 04:26 AM

Well, you spam time and time again, most likely because of a higher post count and don't know what's going on with this whole "hitting on other people" thing. Also, I notice that you type like a Normal user (I'm sorry, but I usually see Normal users besides Wolfy type like Pokemon73), which might also be related to the whole spamming thing.

BreeZaps
11-30-2012, 04:33 AM
and don't know what's going on with this whole "hitting on other people" thing.
He try hitting on me in the chat 3 days ago and it went out of hand and he won't stop even when I asked so the mods had to deal with him.

Pokemon73
11-30-2012, 06:19 PM
Well, you spam time and time again, most likely because of a higher post count and don't know what's going on with this whole "hitting on other people" thing. Also, I notice that you type like a Normal user (I'm sorry, but I usually see Normal users besides Wolfy type like Pokemon73), which might also be related to the whole spamming thing.

i dont spam i type in different discussions and i just say my opinion in each thing

Cutiepuffle
11-30-2012, 08:10 PM
i dont spam i type in different discussions and i just say my opinion in each thing

I liked your post by mistake. Sorry.

Pokemon73
11-30-2012, 08:50 PM
why should be sorry? its ok if u like something

Dragonite
11-30-2012, 08:54 PM
Also, I notice that you type like a Normal user (I'm sorry, but I usually see Normal users besides Wolfy type like Pokemon73), which might also be related to the whole spamming thing.

He said his Internet browser is a 3DS, so that argument is probably best left for another time and place.

Pokemon73
11-30-2012, 09:12 PM
thank you dragonnite

Cutiepuffle
11-30-2012, 09:25 PM
I was saying sorry if I let your hopes down when I said it was a mistake.

Pokemon73
11-30-2012, 09:30 PM
you didn't need 2 say sorry 4 accidentally liking something u just like and thats it

MessyPorpoise53
05-29-2013, 12:26 AM
How do you give rep to people?

Dragonite
05-29-2013, 12:35 AM
How do you give rep to people?

This little star shaped button thing here.

http://puu.sh/33mnJ.png

Hinata
07-05-2013, 09:47 PM
oh how rep, on another site (which i won't name) i got a instantly into the negative after having a decent amount of rep due to an admin downing me; it wasn't that the negative he gave me, but used custom modifier rep to give me a HUGE amount of negative. i still have an account but i never did get back to positive due to that. also, the site itself is now defunct, so i cannot show you it ether.

Bricktoad
07-05-2013, 10:33 PM
oh how rep, on another site (which i won't name) i got a instantly into the negative after having a decent amount of rep due to an admin downing me; it wasn't that the negative he gave me, but used custom modifier rep to give me a HUGE amount of negative. i still have an account but i never did get back to positive due to that. also, the site itself is now defunct, so i cannot show you it ether.

That's... real nice.....

Cutiepuffle
07-06-2013, 02:33 AM

That admin sounds like a pain.

Hakuiin
07-06-2013, 03:16 AM

Some irresponsible admins really like to get their way.

Blade Lord Nayru
03-04-2014, 02:04 PM
I realized that I don't really use the rep system despite being able to both give and take, I just like a lot of posts. Feels like the star shaped button is too much effort, it asks me to give a reason which I just don't bother with.

Blade Lord Nayru
07-26-2014, 04:37 PM
I think there should be a limit to downrepping, to prevent some people from purely giving negative reputation. I'm sure some users would just downrep and never give rep, which I think is a bit unfair. Life isn't all about taking.

(this is in a seperate post because the other one is more than 4 months old)

sonriopoby123
07-26-2014, 09:27 PM
Have been people been abusing that now? Jesus christ guys

Shantae
07-26-2014, 10:04 PM
I think there should be a limit to downrepping, to prevent some people from purely giving negative reputation. I'm sure some users would just downrep and never give rep, which I think is a bit unfair. Life isn't all about taking.

(this is in a seperate post because the other one is more than 4 months old)

maybe if one of your posts isn't stupid (hence: your post in skarmories play pokemon thread)
then people wouldn't negative rep you.

Blade Lord Nayru
07-26-2014, 10:47 PM
maybe if one of your posts isn't stupid (hence: your post in skarmories play pokemon thread)
then people wouldn't negative rep you.

I'm getting the feeling it's always the same person that downreps me.
Also, disagreeing with someone is not a sufficient reason to downrep, in my opinion.

Shantae
07-26-2014, 10:53 PM
Also, disagreeing with someone is not a sufficient reason to downrep, in my opinion.

http://i.imgur.com/OdLjBlV.png

Blade Lord Nayru
07-26-2014, 10:57 PM
http://i.imgur.com/OdLjBlV.png
lmao that's hilarious XD

Dragonite
07-27-2014, 03:37 AM
http://i.imgur.com/S97LS8Y.png

Thing is, Dratini, does someone just disagree with you or do they actually think your post is bad?

Fine, you people keep breaking your A button. Then, when you have to buy a new keyboard, we'll see who laughs.

Honestly, there is nothing wrong about "mashing" the A button. You won't break anything. You're not even disrupting anything, because in this case the chat is supposed to be used for input and not communication. I don't know who or how many people may or may not have nega-rep trained that post, but it was certainly complaining a lot about nothing.

BreeZaps
07-27-2014, 04:22 AM

Sure. You were being kind of rude when you said.
>Fine, you people keep breaking your A button. Then, when you have to buy a new keyboard, we'll see who laughs.

Oh and let me say something about rep. After you rep/derep someone you have to rep/derep 10 other people before you can derep/rep that person again. Also you can only derep/rep 10 times per day. That's saying that it's not the same person that's derepping you. And if more then one person deprepping you then you did something wrong.

Look you don't even know who is deprepping you or if more then one person is, so stop making drama for no reason when you don't even know anything.

Blade Lord Nayru
07-27-2014, 10:22 AM
My point was that there should be a rule to prevent someone from only ever taking rep and never giving it. I don't know if that person only ever takes rep, but just in case I feel this rule should be implemented.

BreeZaps
07-27-2014, 01:07 PM
My point was that there should be a rule to prevent someone from only ever taking rep and never giving it. I don't know if that person only ever takes rep, but just in case I feel this rule should be implemented.

Did you even read my post? -_-

Pokemon73
07-27-2014, 01:46 PM

This happened to me recently, dropped me down a lot of rep (30 rep) , I told Zach, and it was the same person, that person has been warned now

Merga
07-27-2014, 08:00 PM
To everybody complaining about their rep, stop being such a baby. It's not something that you need to complain to the mods about because at the end of the day, nobody cares, and nobody should care about who neg repped you.

Blade Lord Nayru
07-27-2014, 08:07 PM
None of this was complaining, why is everyone making such a big deal out of this? I made a suggestion about the rep system, no need to freak out.

BreeZaps
07-27-2014, 08:17 PM
None of this was complaining, why is everyone making such a big deal out of this? I made a suggestion about the rep system, no need to freak out.

It was a bad one, lets say.

LovelyOshawott
07-27-2014, 08:19 PM
You kept mentioning that you thought the same person was down repping you. Rep doesn't matter. If someone downrepped me, I wouldn't care.

Blade Lord Nayru
07-27-2014, 08:37 PM
It was a bad one, lets say.
Like you never made a bad suggestion

You kept mentioning that you thought the same person was down repping you. Rep doesn't matter. If someone downrepped me, I wouldn't care.
"kept mentioning"
I said it once

Bricktoad
07-27-2014, 09:25 PM
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;-; someone keeps neg repping me bc my posts are bad but obviously it's because they just generally dislike me

oh no
i'm just making a suggestion bud wtf calm down guys

okay i remembered what i was going to say

1. you can't neg rep a person more than one time in a row. i don't think it's worth the trouble giving like 10 other people neg rep just to sabotage your very clever and smart contributions to threads

2. if your post isn't good then chances are you won't receive positive rep
edit: by good i mean you're not whining about how you got banned or doing what a certain twizzy does

Cutiepuffle
07-28-2014, 02:48 AM
Once agin, I believe you should be able to view the rep reason. If we get deducted, for reasons you don't know, then how are you supposed to learn from it?

Dragonite
07-28-2014, 02:52 AM
I think seeing the reason would be more productive than anything else. It would do what Puffle said and disable those "asdfafhgadgh" reasons that people give (in both directions). Yes, you and I have all done it, don't lie.