PDA

View Full Version : Classic Sonic or Modern Sonic?

Umbrony
06-30-2012, 11:47 AM
Yes, some people agree that they are getting shabby in the newer versions of Sonic. I mean, Sonic Next-Gen Sucked. I mean, it was HORRIBLE.

But they rebounded with Unleashed, which was a tiny step in the right direction.

Of course we can't forget the Sonic Rush games for the DS. They weren't THAT bad... And someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Rush came out before Sonic Next Gen.

Then, we have Sonic Colors. That game wasn't bad... But I wish that they could change the antagonist to someone besides Eggman. I mean, it's alright to try something new. The music from this game was awesome.

And I have yet to Buy Sonic Generations. But I like Modern Sonic a bit more. I never owned a genesis, as it came out before my time, but I did buy Sonic Classic collection for the DS, and experienced what the games were like. They were alright, I guess.

My best Sonic game was Sonic Adventure. The first one I played was Sonic DX, and then Sonic the Hedgehog 3 for Gameboy.

I don't like hearing myself talk, I'm just looking for honest opinions and recomendatiobs on is topic.

Which had better storylines, plots, etc?

The older Sonic games meaning Genesis-Adventure, or the newer ones, meaning Sonic Next-Gen-Sonic Generations.

That is all.

On second thought, Next Gen is completely on its own. Modern is Sonic Unleashed-Sonic Generations. .___.

Minntul
06-30-2012, 12:53 PM
It's hard for me to decide on this one, I really only remember having a good time with two modern games which were Colours and Generations, which proved the modern formula could work if the level design was done right. The Classic games have been with me for a long time and I always played them on the Mega Collection when I was younger.

But Sonic 3 & Knuckles is my favorite video game of all time, So I guess I'll go with Classic Sonic.

Maybe it's my fanboyism, but shouldn't this be in Video Game Generals?

SwordMaster
06-30-2012, 02:51 PM
Sega made sonic, not Nintendo, this shouldn't be in Nintendo games discussion.

Umbrony
06-30-2012, 02:59 PM
Can someone move it for me? I have no idea how. It was an Accident, I swear! ;w;

Shiningbolt
06-30-2012, 05:09 PM
If Modern Sonic starts at Next-Gen, which I assume was the Xbox 360 game, I'm going to have say Classic Sonic. All of my favorite Sonic games are in that category. All of them.

I do think that Sonic Generations is pretty amazing for what's been put on the shelves lately, but I sorta haven't played the good version (That is, the non 3DS version).

Umbrony
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
Next gen was for Playstation 3, and Xbox, I think. XD Next Gen was a bad place to start. Let's put Next Gen in the middle.

SonicMario777
06-30-2012, 05:14 PM
I'm a true Sonic fan, so pretty much everything Sonic related I enjoy equally, Classic and Modern.

Red
06-30-2012, 08:20 PM
I'd have to say I prefer Classic more because I'm more used to the side scrolling style of gameplay. But the way modern works is pretty cool too.

Kamex
06-30-2012, 08:36 PM
To be honest, I like classic Sonic better. Its not because of "nostalgia" or anything like that. I legitimately like it more because it's more of a platforming game. Sonic next gen is just a linear path. There is almost no way to die which kills the challenge aspect. That's just my opinion.

Edit: It sounds like I was bashing modern sonic, but I'm not. I like modern too, but I prefer classic. :)

gamerx2
07-15-2012, 07:06 PM
I like them both. I can't decide. Well I would say I like them both equally.

Suprsilver
07-15-2012, 10:09 PM
I liked it best between 2000 and 2006.

ShadowMr.L
07-15-2012, 10:17 PM
I like them so much. I'm gonna have to go with Classic Sonic because of it being the original.

jackers96
07-15-2012, 10:26 PM
New gen plots are much better but classic games and pure fun factor just rules

SuperSkittle
07-16-2012, 11:23 PM
Love sonic in general can't pick favorites

Shantae
07-17-2012, 01:11 AM
I don't know who's the best exactly but, I do like both Classic Sonic and Modern Sonic. Classic Sonic fits very well along Nintendo and speed feel gameplay. As for Modern Sonic, I don't know why Next Generation was created and release to Xbox and PS3? To be honest, I do like Modern Sonic but certain games released to the gaming company it chosen wasn't really fitting. As I discuss this, I'll pick Classic Sonic because of nostalgia feel aside on me.

DeMrTeunio
07-17-2012, 11:54 AM
I'm not a big fan of Sonic games to begin with, but if I put that aside the classic Sonic games are excellent games in general. The newer ones just seem so... mweh. I also really don't get why they let Sonic talk in the cutscenes. That'd be the same as Yoshi asking Mario to get off his back. It's just... I don't know. Colors and Generations seem to be OK games though.

ZeroxGT
07-17-2012, 03:13 PM
Considering I've played the games on the older consoles on up except on 360 or ps3, Id have to say its a mixed bag for me. When sonic was on its own Sega branded consoles, I have to admit, they were great though some of them just didnt cut it at all or they just look out of place. Genesis had my main games i liked and that was Sonic, 2,3,S&K,3&K( yes I know I labeled 3 and S&K as seporate games but they WERE until you used the lock on feature if u ever played the games on the original console) In this group of games, I could seriously play them for hours. The special stages were fun though Sonic 1's special stages made me dizzy at times lol,2's was just a headach at the last emerald but its easy once you have done it enough, 3's gets challenging near the last one and S&K's are just brutal near the end if you dont practice enough. Sonic CD was a fun though i never finsihed it lol so i cant say much on that but I can say it wasnt bad at all. The Game Gear games were hit or miss with me but what can you expect from a handheld at that time lol. Sonic 1 I just couldnt even take the time to play at all... I couldnt get into it or maybe it was because I expected too much... Sonic 2 I fell in love with even if you couldnt spin dash on it what so ever, though it did make you take time to hunt for the emeralds since there were no special stages. Sonic Blast, and Sonic Chaos were OK at best. Sonic Blast was just weird yet an OK game and Sega was trying to give somewhat of a 3D look for sonic and Knuckles maybe? Well it didnt do well and the gameplay was a bit sluggish I think as the levels werent too bad but maybe not too players would like them much. Chaos was just fun to run through but the stages felt kinda short. They also has some gimmicks that werent to useful but as far as controls there were so-so.... A game that is worth checking out at least. Never played Triple trouble but its in the 3DS eshop so I guess ill get it then lol.

Hmmmm more text? ok.....
The GBA games were.... ok but Advance 1 and 3 I love the most due to it that Sega kept in most of the ACTUAL platforming and not just "hold right and win" like they did in advance 2 which was just....OK at best but sad that it turned out like that. Advance 1 & 2 im clumping together due to their gameplay, platforming and how you went about finding the special stages. Though Advance 3 had the whle parners thing going which was a nice touch yet a bit broken when it came to bosses lol. Sonic Battke.... a fighting game with sonic characters only? Nice but I wish they made another for the newer consoles now... this was OK at best but its only fun for a few hours at a time... make that an hour at best...

Sonic adventure 1 & 2? EPIC!! Seriously cmon, who DIDNT like them? These games to me are like Sega saying" here are 2 games you are gonna love before we stop making consoles" and they did.... I mean I loved the storyline for both, though the first had a story for each character which was great and I hope to see something like this happen again. The gameplay in both were great, though the only problem i had in Adventure was the camera angles in some spots... which can cause some areas to be more challenging than they should be. The VS mode in adventure 2 was OK til I played the GC version which all the content was unlockable and they added some extras, so its grand on the GC version and OK on the DC version.

Hmm... The DS games were pretty much the same except I think Sonic Rush Adventure was better in the gameplay and the special stages were a bit more challenging, I also like the map screen, and the vehicles to use were a nice touch I guess... Not much to say on them as there wasnt much added to them except the trick system and the online play which I wont go there about that( i dont like quitters). Colors on the other hand, loved it. I know it plays out almst the same way as the others but the gimmicks with the wisps were fun to play with, the missions were challenging to an extent but still enough to be tolerable. Story could be a bit better though... I was expecting a second game after the ending but... Ill leave it at that.....

Sonic Generatiosn for the 3DS? wish it had more levels and maybe let us use other charactes... I like the tribute to the older levels they gave to us in this game but I wish they did more, The game looks like its missing alot as far as how the stage select screen looked and how it seemed just "rushed" and thrown on the shelves. I enjoyed it but I hope they will put more effort into the next 3DS game

Unleashed? I just didnt like the Wearhog thing....... sorry but I just couldnt... It is a nice gimmick and it did the job, but it wasnt ment for me as all games, they arent ment for everyone/ Colors Just like the DS game, I loved it...Idk about anyone else but I got an adventure 2 feel from it maybe I felt at home with it while playing..

Ok i rambled on enough and my writing is horrible as its early for me so im sorry if there is some mistakes or it just sound a bit too "simple" but in the end Sonic is a mixed bag for me... YES i know of sonic4 and the episodes, but I wont talk about them until ALL of them are out.....

SFB
07-17-2012, 04:17 PM
Classic feels a lot more fun and polished imo and thats why I like it better.

Triplewolf
07-19-2012, 06:06 PM
Not a big Sonic player, but I liked the classic games more for the pure fact that they are just fun.

The Arrow
07-21-2012, 01:42 AM
I like both because honestly when it comes to controls I don't really care what they're like as long as it doesn't go way out of range as far as my hand flexibility goes. If I had two pick one form the other though, I'd honestly pick Modern Sonic because he can dash and do a lot more cool stuff that Classic Sonic could not.

newsupermariobros
07-21-2012, 08:52 PM
There both really awesome!

Gamersaiyan4
07-23-2012, 01:57 AM
I absolutely love modern sonic he really shows off all the greatest perks of sonic games

Patriot
07-23-2012, 02:12 AM
Classic Sonic has always been the best for me. Most of the modern Sonic games have sucked horribly, and classic Sonic always gives a good nostalgia feel.

Totodile
07-28-2012, 11:12 PM
I like just about any Sonic game to be honest. But every body who knows me knows that I am anything that is Classic so Classic Sonic for me.

Kyoits
07-29-2012, 10:29 PM
It's a really close call but modern sonic becasue he can boost

herothezero
07-11-2013, 10:39 PM
I prefer modern Sonic mainly because of the plots.

pikachumaster
07-11-2013, 10:48 PM
They both have good games (with the exception of Sonic 06) so it's a tie for me.

Hakuiin
07-11-2013, 10:50 PM
Modern Sonic, he doesn't look like a blueberry rolling down a hill, at least.

Kitty
07-17-2013, 05:14 AM
Time to face the facts.

Sonic sucks.