PDA

View Full Version : Chronicle: A gamers limbo

Christian
07-05-2012, 09:04 PM
My bonus brother works as a journalist and he wrote this, all credit goes to André. Sorry for bad translation:

A family is sitting by their dining table. A completely ordinary family where the parents work at days. A completely ordinary family where the kids goes to school. A typical Swedish Svensson-family. Just this day is the first day at sports-break. The kids had been home from school and spent this great day doing what kids of today usually do.
''Well son, what have you been doing a day as great as this one?'' Asks the mother softly and gently.
The son swallows his spaghetti and meatballs and says: ''Nothing out of the ordinary. I have been selling drugs, I have killed 539 gang members, 142 police-officers, a couple of civilians. Saved the world from aliens. Oh and I also completed my Super Mario game today.
''Oh, I am so proud of you, son.'' Says the mother.

Now, this scenario is really not realistic, HOWEVER it's what kids of today actually do on a regular basis in the ''gaming world''. The players rarely thinks of this truth and the parents usually close their eyes for the whole thing.

The player rarely choose to think of their actions because ''It's only a game''. Sure, you can think like that. But if you compare the games of today with the games of yesterday, you see a very big difference in realism. The games of today is supposed to be ultra-realistic, which the games of yesterday, certainly isn't. The worst thing you could see back then was a plumber squishing turtles with his feet.

Kids of today put their hands on games like Bullet-storm where you learn to kill with finesse. A game where you can separate the head of an enemy from their body to get a lot of points. How will their thoughts evolve? I don't believe in the discussion about how games are bad for our psyche is going to have a ending punchline in a near future. We will soon see more school-massacres, un-needed murder and **** of different kinds before we come up with a final reason of why it happens.

I can only speculate and say that it isn't because of the video-games. With these words, I am going to finish, because I and thousand of other Swedish people are going to. Keep killing.

To make this more clear for others, he does not think that video-games affects us in a bad way (Makes us more violent etc.) This is just something he wrote when so many others thought the opposite.

Shiningbolt
07-05-2012, 10:03 PM
I'm a bit lost here. Does this guy think that video games affect people's thoughts or not?

Dabottle
07-05-2012, 10:11 PM
No, my friend. This myth is blatantly untrue. That's not how it works.

The Arrow
07-05-2012, 10:42 PM
Yeah, I'm a bit lost too. I don't understand how video games can directly influence a person's actions. Sure, killing monsters and humans is horrible, but it's not like it can affect everybody. I don't know, I'm confused.

Uzi
07-05-2012, 10:52 PM
I've been playing fighting games all my life and I've never touched a person with the intent to harm them.

I don't see why people think that video games influence the way you think. Sure, they distract you from work but do they really do anything else? Sure, they expose you to more mature subjects but that's the parents fault for purchasing the game for the child, no?

SwordMaster
07-06-2012, 12:36 AM
I agree in the part you compared the games of today to the games of old. I enjoy a game that has imagination in it rather than a realistic one. I think this because a world of ones imagination houses infinite possibilities, a realistic game is something you can do in real life and I think of it as a waste of money. Point is (Maybe), if you want to kill people like you do in games like Call of Duty, do so and experience the consequences (please don't). Stupid rambling over.

Christian
07-06-2012, 08:21 AM
That was his point as-well, he wrote this when so many others wrote that video-games makes you more violent etc.
So to make this more clear, he does NOT think video-games affect you in a bad way.

Kyoushiro
07-06-2012, 09:45 AM
Video games mean a lot to me. I remember, when I was little, I always used to brag about how I had a better vocabulary than the other people at my school because the little pixels on my Gameboy used big words. I always appreciated how video games made me stay awake after playing them, and they made me think about certain aspects of life- so they don't affect you in a bad way. They would only affect you in a bad way if you really follow up on what happens within the game- Like if you played Team Fortress 2 and then had the motivation to break everything afterwards. I think by that point, it's time to take a break from games, and distinguish fantasy from reality.

Sorry for the lengthy post but I've just been looking through Calming Manatee posts, and I'm in a philosophical kind of mood. XP