PDA

View Full Version : Older graphics seem to look different these days...

Kamex
07-06-2012, 03:50 PM
I looked back at some of the games made in the early 2000's that I thought looked so real. Now that technology has advanced, (Quite greatly I must add) Those games look terrible now! Looking at Halo 4, it looks so real now. Then I went back to look at Halo 1, I don't remember it looking so cheesy. I also saw GTA V. Looks pretty nice for a sandbox game, right? Then I went back to look at GTA III... My eyes threw up. xD

In what games have you noticed this?

tinksfinks
07-06-2012, 04:35 PM
Almost all games that have been around for 15-20 years. Mario, Zelda, look at it's earliest games, look at Mario 64 and Ocarina of Time, then look at Galaxy 2 and Skyward Sword. They may not be the best examples as they don't have HD graphics but it shows how far we've come.

Majorasfan
07-06-2012, 06:33 PM
Yeah, I agree with the above.. I guess some big hitters for me are:

Ocarina of Time. I always knew it was dated on the graphics, but after I got used to the 3DS renovation, I went back to the N64 version.. and I felt bad for even thinking such heresy. I was disappointed. xD

Anything on my computer BEFORE I had a decent graphics card. Yeah.. No pixel shader, low graphics is very different from Ultra Graphics, good shader stuff. Civilization 4 as an example, it looks amazing compared to what it did.

Certain Visual Novels. I'm a big anime/VN fan, and I notice these a lot.. stuff like Tsukihime from 2000 looks SO dated now, compared to stuff that came out 2-3 years ago, or even compared to Fate/Stay Night, which was 2004. The difference is just so big.

I guess this just goes to show you why companies make remakes. Other than to make more money, better graphics makes a game more playable.

Shiningbolt
07-06-2012, 08:25 PM
Um...Personally, I haven't had such feelings for very many games. In fact, I forgot which ones this applied to.
However, looking at Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, I think it looks AMAZING for a Gamecube game. It's to the point where I was disappointed with Super Paper Mario's graphics because they seemed that similar.

sonriopoby123
07-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Um...Personally, I haven't had such feelings for very many games. In fact, I forgot which ones this applied to.
However, looking at Paper Mario and the Thousand Year Door, I think it looks AMAZING for a Gamecube game. It's to the point where I was disappointed with Super Paper Mario's graphics because they seemed that similar.
Well, Super Paper Mario was orignally made for Gamecube.

Minntul
07-07-2012, 01:28 AM
I tend to notice these things a lot. I remember thinking how beautiful the graphics were when I had a PS2 and when play my Xbox360 on 1080p and try something out on my PS2, I just notice how ugly it is compared to my newer games.

I always the best cables for the consoles I have, like the HDMI cable for the Xbox and component cables for my PS2 and Wii, not that it changes much, though.

Dragonite
09-16-2012, 07:35 PM
This thread died that quickly?

I have no idea what the graphics of things like Super Mario 64 looked like when they were new, but they sure look really weird today. Even more recent things like Sunshine and Luigi's Mansion look slightly odd to me today. But somehow or another, I think the original Paper Mario graphics look really good. Or maybe I just like that style.

I wonder what people will think about Okami and Pokemon Platinum and the Super Mario Galaxies twenty years from now.

Shantae
09-17-2012, 03:07 AM
^^^ Well yeah, for you to say............

Anywho. Yes, I was looking into original game graphics compare to a game's remake. Although these games look different and remake them because it just updating the graphics. In my opinion between original and remake graphic games, they remain unchanged at all. But I understand that new Games that has updated Graphics makes the game more crisp and fun, but if's a remake then it doesn't changed. I'm talking about games that are old like 10-20 years ago and the game was remake. It's how we play our new games more better then the older games like 10-20 years ago.

Gazzbonazza10
09-17-2012, 04:03 PM
I like older graphics (when I don't play the game for to long.. would hurt me eyes eventually) they're fun and blocky.. newer games are to complex sometimes aswell.. graphic concentreated instead of cpu concentrated (damnit fifa)

Flubbs
09-18-2012, 05:29 AM
I don't really have any opinion on graphics. As long as the game is good, then I really don't care. Unless the game is hyping itself up because of its amazing graphics. Then I'll have some kind of opinion, but that usually doesn't happen.

joebob2311
09-22-2012, 01:43 AM
I haven't really played much old games neither much real life based games. I usually play Nintendo games unless I'm playing Minecraft.

Totodile
10-01-2012, 02:46 AM
I kind of look at video games like I do school. (Ironic I know but think about it) every year you think there is so much work and it is too hard. However when you go through the grades you realize how easy that earlier grade was compared to now.

pikachumaster
10-01-2012, 03:08 AM
I've never thought about that... *Thinks about Zelda:OOT* Yeah... You're right.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
10-01-2012, 01:42 PM
I have never really thought about that before. Then again, the graphics of a video game remake do tend to look better than the graphics of the original.