PDA

View Full Version : what's your fav planet?

Gold beats silver
07-07-2012, 01:42 PM
well than guys what's your fav planet?

mine is the moon cuz it at least let's us have a bit of light during the night

DeMrTeunio
07-07-2012, 01:45 PM

Well um... the moon isn't a planet I'm afraid. It's a... moon. So.

My favorite planet is Earth because, well, why would anyone care about the other planets? :D

Xerodragon12
07-07-2012, 01:52 PM
The moon isn't a planet. Anyways mine is RR Caeli b because we discovered it this year Earth, because we can live on it.

WillyS105
07-07-2012, 02:22 PM
Earth, It's the most fascinating of all the planets.

BreeZaps
07-07-2012, 02:25 PM
Earth what else can i say :D

ShadowMr.L
07-07-2012, 02:28 PM
With the exception of Earth, I've always liked Neptune for some reason. It's always fascinated me.

The Arrow
07-07-2012, 03:14 PM
I'm going to be different and say I've always found Uranus really interesting and fun to look at. But I would say Earth anyway because it's the planet we all live on.

Merga
07-07-2012, 03:46 PM
Space Australia, best planet ever.

Ice
07-07-2012, 03:51 PM
da pokemon world is best planet

Also, I've always thought Neptune was cool for some reason, possibly because water god or something. Also, I like Earth because I can live on it.

Zachgoose
07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
I've always found Uranus really interesting and fun to look at.

I'm mature.

Anyway, besides the obvious answer of planet Earth, I would have to choose Mars. It's very similar to Earth in a couple of ways, and it's currently one of the easiest planets for us to do research on due to its close proximity to us.

Tainers14
07-07-2012, 04:40 PM
Tatooine, because one can go to Tashi station and pick up power convertors. And it is also allowed to go on a T-16 and shoot down womprats(idk how it's spelled :/)

Patriot
07-07-2012, 05:00 PM
Tatooine, because one can go to Tashi station and pick up power convertors. And it is also allowed to go on a T-16 and shoot down womprats(idk how it's spelled :/)

You just gotta put a space between womp and rat.

Okay, best planet is PLUTO, because Pluto will always be a planet in my heart...

Shantae
07-07-2012, 05:02 PM
Obviously Earth, our home planet that has natural resources of plants, a sun, and water. My favorite planet in video game? Not really planet but a galaxy, uh Gusty Garden Galaxy in SMG.

Edit: Not just Earth, but Pluto. Not a planet, cmon NASA! Pluto, I will hear in my head forever.

SonicMario777
07-07-2012, 05:24 PM
Besides Earth, my favorite is Saturn, because those rings are awesome!

Prospering
07-07-2012, 05:54 PM
My favorite planet is Jupiter because it's the biggest planet in our Solar System and from pictures it an redish orange. I also like Jupiter because all of the clouds and the wind on it makes it look like a bloody wasteland.

VictoryStar
07-07-2012, 05:59 PM
Okay, best planet is PLUTO, because Pluto will always be a planet in my heart...

Same here, buddy.

epickirby
07-07-2012, 07:04 PM
Other than Earth, I'd say Jupiter, mainly because of its size and color.

CriticalCalla
07-07-2012, 07:28 PM
i have to go with namek because the grass is blue the sky is green and its boring as poop

Weavile
07-07-2012, 07:29 PM
Antarctica. That is all.

Kamex
07-07-2012, 08:08 PM
Saturn. It's rings are very cool to look at and I always had an interest in it.

Dan Snivy
07-07-2012, 08:30 PM
I really like all of the planets.

Graph
07-07-2012, 09:02 PM
After I saw this thread, I decided to go and visit all the planets and live on each for a fortnight, in order to decide which I liked best. Here is some of the information I've gathered on my stay on by far my favourite planet, Mercury.

Mercury is the closest planet to the Sun and the eighth largest. Mercury is slightly smaller in diameter than the moons Ganymede and Titan but more than twice as massive.

orbit: 57,910,000 km (0.38 AU) from Sun
diameter: 4,880 km
mass: 3.30e23 kg

In Roman mythology Mercury is the god of commerce, travel and thievery, the Roman counterpart of the Greek god Hermes, the messenger of the Gods. The planet probably received this name because it moves so quickly across the sky.

Mercury has been known since at least the time of the Sumerians (3rd millennium BC). It was sometimes given separate names for its apparitions as a morning star and as an evening star. Greek astronomers knew, however, that the two names referred to the same body. Heraclitus even believed that Mercury and Venus orbit the Sun, not the Earth.

Since it is closer to the Sun than the Earth, the illumination of Mercury's disk varies when viewed with a telescope from our perspective. Galileo's telescope was too small to see Mercury's phases but he did see the phases of Venus.

Mercury has been now been visited by two spacecraft, Mariner 10 and MESSENGER. Marriner 10 flew by three times in 1974 and 1975. Only 45% of the surface was mapped (and, unfortunately, it is too close to the Sun to be safely imaged by HST). MESSENGER was launched by NASA in 2004 and will orbit Mercury starting in 2011 after several flybys. Its first flyby in Jan 2008 provided new high quality images of some of the terrain not seen by Marriner 10.

Mercury's orbit is highly eccentric; at perihelion it is only 46 million km from the Sun but at aphelion it is 70 million. The position of the perihelion precesses around the Sun at a very slow rate. 19th century astronomers made very careful observations of Mercury's orbital parameters but could not adequately explain them using Newtonian mechanics. The tiny differences between the observed and predicted values were a minor but nagging problem for many decades. It was thought that another planet (sometimes called Vulcan) slightly closer to the Sun than Mercury might account for the discrepancy. But despite much effort, no such planet was found. The real answer turned out to be much more dramatic: Einstein's General Theory of Relativity! Its correct prediction of the motions of Mercury was an important factor in the early acceptance of the theory.

Until 1962 it was thought that Mercury's "day" was the same length as its "year" so as to keep that same face to the Sun much as the Moon does to the Earth. But this was shown to be false in 1965 by doppler radar observations. It is now known that Mercury rotates three times in two of its years. Mercury is the only body in the solar system known to have an orbital/rotational resonance with a ratio other than 1:1 (though many have no resonances at all).

This fact and the high eccentricity of Mercury's orbit would produce very strange effects for an observer on Mercury's surface. At some longitudes the observer would see the Sun rise and then gradually increase in apparent size as it slowly moved toward the zenith. At that point the Sun would stop, briefly reverse course, and stop again before resuming its path toward the horizon and decreasing in apparent size. All the while the stars would be moving three times faster across the sky. Observers at other points on Mercury's surface would see different but equally bizarre motions.

Temperature variations on Mercury are the most extreme in the solar system ranging from 90 K to 700 K. The temperature on Venus is slightly hotter but very stable.

Mercury is in many ways similar to the Moon: its surface is heavily cratered and very old; it has no plate tectonics. On the other hand, Mercury is much denser than the Moon (5.43 gm/cm3 vs 3.34). Mercury is the second densest major body in the solar system, after Earth. Actually Earth's density is due in part to gravitational compression; if not for this, Mercury would be denser than Earth. This indicates that Mercury's dense iron core is relatively larger than Earth's, probably comprising the majority of the planet. Mercury therefore has only a relatively thin silicate mantle and crust.
Mercury's interior is dominated by a large iron core whose radius is 1800 to 1900 km. The silicate outer shell (analogous to Earth's mantle and crust) is only 500 to 600 km thick. At least some of the core is probably molten.

Mercury actually has a very thin atmosphere consisting of atoms blasted off its surface by the solar wind. Because Mercury is so hot, these atoms quickly escape into space. Thus in contrast to the Earth and Venus whose atmospheres are stable, Mercury's atmosphere is constantly being replenished.

The surface of Mercury exhibits enormous escarpments, some up to hundreds of kilometers in length and as much as three kilometers high. Some cut thru the rings of craters and other features in such a way as to indicate that they were formed by compression. It is estimated that the surface area of Mercury shrank by about 0.1% (or a decrease of about 1 km in the planet's radius).

One of the largest features on Mercury's surface is the Caloris Basin (right); it is about 1300 km in diameter. It is thought to be similar to the large basins (maria) on the Moon. Like the lunar basins, it was probably caused by a very large impact early in the history of the solar system. Weird terrain opposite Caloris Basin That impact was probably also responsible for the odd terrain on the exact opposite side of the planet (left).

In addition to the heavily cratered terrain, Mercury also has regions of relatively smooth plains. Some may be the result of ancient volcanic activity but some may be the result of the deposition of ejecta from cratering impacts.

A reanalysis of the Mariner data provides some preliminary evidence of recent volcanism on Mercury. But more data will be needed for confirmation.

Amazingly, radar observations of Mercury's north pole (a region not mapped by Mariner 10) show evidence of water ice in the protected shadows of some craters.

Mercury has a small magnetic field whose strength is about 1% of Earth's.

Mercury has no known satellites.

Mercury is often visible with binoculars or even the unaided eye, but it is always very near the Sun and difficult to see in the twilight sky. There are several Web sites that show the current position of Mercury (and the other planets) in the sky. More detailed and customized charts can be created with a planetarium program.

Graph
07-07-2012, 09:37 PM
Venus is okay too, I guess. Here's my review on it. 7 suns/10

Venus is the second planet from the Sun and the sixth largest. Venus' orbit is the most nearly circular of that of any planet, with an eccentricity of less than 1%.

orbit: 108,200,000 km (0.72 AU) from Sun
diameter: 12,103.6 km
mass: 4.869e24 kg

Venus (Greek: Aphrodite; Babylonian: Ishtar) is the goddess of love and beauty. The planet is so named probably because it is the brightest of the planets known to the ancients. (With a few exceptions, the surface features on Venus are named for female figures.)
Venus has been known since prehistoric times. It is the brightest object in the sky except for the Sun and the Moon. Like Mercury, it was popularly thought to be two separate bodies: Eosphorus as the morning star and Hesperus as the evening star, but the Greek astronomers knew better. (Venus's apparition as the morning star is also sometimes called Lucifer.)

Since Venus is an inferior planet, it shows phases when viewed with a telescope from the perspective of Earth. Galileo's observation of this phenomenon was important evidence in favor of Copernicus's heliocentric theory of the solar system.

Venera 9 surface photo The first spacecraft to visit Venus was Mariner 2 in 1962. It was subsequently visited by many others (more than 20 in all so far), including Pioneer Venus and the Soviet Venera 7 the first spacecraft to land on another planet, and Venera 9 which returned the first photographs of the surface. The first orbiter, the US spacecraft Magellan Magellan radar map (false color) produced detailed maps of Venus' surface using radar. ESA's Venus Express is now in orbit with a large variety of instruments.
Venus' rotation is somewhat unusual in that it is both very slow (243 Earth days per Venus day, slightly longer than Venus' year) and retrograde. In addition, the periods of Venus' rotation and of its orbit are synchronized such that it always presents the same face toward Earth when the two planets are at their closest approach. Whether this is a resonance effect or merely a coincidence is not known.

Venus is sometimes regarded as Earth's sister planet. In some ways they are very similar:
Venus is only slightly smaller than Earth (95% of Earth's diameter, 80% of Earth's mass).
Both have few craters indicating relatively young surfaces.
Their densities and chemical compositions are similar.
Because of these similarities, it was thought that below its dense clouds Venus might be very Earthlike and might even have life. But, unfortunately, more detailed study of Venus reveals that in many important ways it is radically different from Earth. It may be the least hospitable place for life in the solar system.
Venus in visible light from Galileo The pressure of Venus' atmosphere at the surface is 90 atmospheres (about the same as the pressure at a depth of 1 km in Earth's oceans). It is composed mostly of carbon dioxide. There are several layers of clouds many kilometers thick composed of sulfuric acid. These clouds completely obscure our view of the surface. This dense atmosphere produces a run-away greenhouse effect that raises Venus' surface temperature by about 400 degrees to over 740 K (hot enough to melt lead). Venus' surface is actually hotter than Mercury's despite being nearly twice as far from the Sun.
Venus in ultra-violet light There are strong (350 kph) winds at the cloud tops but winds at the surface are very slow, no more than a few kilometers per hour.
Venus probably once had large amounts of water like Earth but it all boiled away. Venus is now quite dry. Earth would have suffered the same fate had it been just a little closer to the Sun. We may learn a lot about Earth by learning why the basically similar Venus turned out so differently.

Most of Venus' surface consists of gently rolling plains with little relief. There are also several broad depressions: Atalanta Planitia, Guinevere Planitia, Lavinia Planitia. There two large highland areas: Ishtar Terra in the northern hemisphere (about the size of Australia) and Aphrodite Terra along the equator (about the size of South America). The interior of Ishtar consists mainly of a high plateau, Lakshmi Planum, which is surrounded by the highest mountains on Venus including the enormous Maxwell Montes.

Sif Mons (Magellan radar) Data from Magellan's imaging radar shows that much of the surface of Venus is covered by lava flows. There are several large shield volcanoes (similar to Hawaii or Olympus Mons) such as Sif Mons. Recently announced findings indicate that Venus is still volcanically active, but only in a few hot spots; for the most part it has been geologically rather quiet for the past few hundred million years.
There are no small craters on Venus. It seems that small meteoroids burn up in Venus' dense atmosphere before reaching the surface. Craters on Venus seem to come in bunches indicating that large meteoroids that do reach the surface usually break up in the atmosphere.

The oldest terrains on Venus seem to be about 800 million years old. Extensive volcanism at that time wiped out the earlier surface including any large craters from early in Venus' history.

Coronae Pancake volcanoes Magellan's images show a wide variety of interesting and unique features including pancake volcanoes (left) which seem to be eruptions of very thick lava and coronae (right) which seem to be collapsed domes over large magma chambers.
The interior of Venus is probably very similar to that of Earth: an iron core about 3000 km in radius, a molten rocky mantle comprising the majority of the planet. Recent results from the Magellan gravity data indicate that Venus' crust is stronger and thicker than had previously been assumed. Like Earth, convection in the mantle produces stress on the surface. However on Venus the stress is relieved in many relatively small regions instead of being concentrated at the boundaries of large plates as is the case on Earth.

Venus has no magnetic field, perhaps because of its slow rotation.

Venus has no satellites, and thereby hangs a tale.

Venus is usually visible with the unaided eye. Sometimes (inaccurately) referred to as the "morning star" or the "evening star", it is by far the brightest "star" in the sky. There are several Web sites that show the current position of Venus (and the other planets) in the sky. More detailed and customized charts can be created with a planetarium program.

On June 8 2004, Venus passed directly between the Earth and the Sun, appearing as a large black dot travelling across the Sun's disk. This event is known as a "transit of Venus" and is very rare: the last one was in 1882, the next one is in 2012 but after than you'll have to wait until 2117. While no longer of great scientific importance as it was in the past, this event was the impetus for a major journey for many amateur astronomers.

Super Skarmory
07-07-2012, 10:33 PM
^O_O My eyes, they burn, too much, information...

My favorite planet is Pluto, or at least it was until scientists decided to be like, RAWRSCIENCE and make it no longer a planet. Now I don't really have one, if I were to pick, probably Saturn, because it's like earth since it has rings and nobody understands my pointless inside jokes so I'm going to shut up now.

Bookmaniac
07-07-2012, 10:40 PM
I love Jupiter because it is huge and Jupiter=Zeus. That is why I love Jupiter. Also, the Great Red Spot is very cool and huge.

Kyoushiro
07-07-2012, 11:55 PM
I've always kinda liked Neptune. The blue tint of it is just pretty to me, unlike how Earth is just blue and green and a mishmash of other natural colors. I used to like Pluto before it was kicked out of the list of planets, and I was interested in why it was just so far away from the others. It was just a lonely little planet... =(

Meeko43049
07-08-2012, 01:08 AM
well I always liked Pluto Seriously stupid scientist i also like venus for some reason!

Gyaradomo
07-08-2012, 04:14 AM
Mars. Recently, scientists know that it has water or something. It probably had some form of life before. Maybe it was like Earth before... something horrible happened to it. It has many mysteries, so that's why I like it.

Gamersaiyan4
07-08-2012, 05:28 AM
Neptune because it's really cool looking

Memefreak
07-08-2012, 05:31 AM
http://image.spreadshirt.com/image-server/image/composition/4396200/view/1/producttypecolor/2/type/png/width/280/height/280/remember-pluto_design.png

Dakota
07-08-2012, 01:12 PM
I don't know. Probably Mars, Pluto, and Earth. Mars because it has water, and we could possibly live on it. Pluto because it always be a planet. Earth because we live on it.

Totodile
07-08-2012, 02:50 PM
Other than Earth it's gotta be Neptune. All the water and storms. Interesting

ShaymieTehShaymin
07-08-2012, 03:33 PM
I love Pluto! It'll always be a planet to me!

Christian
07-08-2012, 04:58 PM
Earth.
Here I can breathe, here all the things happen, here we are advanced and we have everything we need to survive.

Davismt
07-09-2012, 12:15 AM
I like Saturn because it has cool rings and tons of awesome moons which one they thought could have life but they found out that it didn't. Random post

Umbrony
07-09-2012, 03:19 PM
I like Pluto. It was so tiny and blue! But it's a dwarf planet now. In fact, is it even a planet still?

Patriot
07-09-2012, 03:21 PM
I like Pluto. It was so tiny and blue! But it's a dwarf planet now. In fact, is it even a planet still?

No, it isn't a planet after the IAU demoted it to dwarf planet status. Also, I don't think Pluto is blue.

UbersSuck20
07-09-2012, 04:10 PM
I'll say Jupiter. Its the largest planet and it's the perfect place to freeze something.

TheTrainerExpert
07-18-2012, 12:25 AM
Earth, cause it's the only planet I like :)

SuperSkittle
07-18-2012, 12:33 AM
I like earth but besides that maybe saturn because of its rings

shadowdude
07-18-2012, 01:20 AM
earth we live on it thats why

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-18-2012, 01:46 PM
For real planets, I would have to say Saturn. For planets in certain video games, I would have to say Rannoch, since it is the Quarian homeworld.

TyphlosionX
07-18-2012, 02:01 PM
Earth because it's the planet we can live and breath on.

Empoleonmaster
07-18-2012, 07:43 PM
Not including Earth, it would be Pluto shuddapNASAshuddap and Mars.

GigaGyarados
07-20-2012, 10:52 AM
Earth. I will also agree with Zach on Mars, and also because it's a brand of chocolate bar.

XpL
07-20-2012, 12:12 PM
I'm genuinely fascinated by Mars. The thought that one day we may live and colonise a completely new planet is amazing.

phantomscar
07-20-2012, 01:46 PM
Earth, we live on it, no explaination needed

Shiningbolt
07-20-2012, 02:36 PM
While it's kind of boring, Earth is also my favorite planet. It has some bad residents, but the environmental and health benefits are astounding.

Red
07-20-2012, 02:49 PM
Jupiter, it's the largest of all the planets and has a pimple.

XpL
07-20-2012, 03:13 PM
Jupiter, it's the largest of all the planets and has a pimple.
Using this to discover Red's ideal partner.