PDA

View Full Version : Grammar nazis VS. L33T Typ3rz: Which side are You on?

Kamex
07-07-2012, 09:28 PM
This thread is about opinions only! So no arguments! :mad:

Which side are you on? I'm a Grammar person. My grammar may not be the best, but I try to make it as understandable as possible. Its a heck of a lot easier than understanding:"H1 GUYZ! H0w 4r3 Y0u?". As more generations come to the internet, L33T typing has been less and less legible. So I turned into a grammar Enthusiast (Nazi is just pushing it.). If I call you out for typing something that I cannot understand no matter how many times I read it over, and you don't understand why I yelled about it, you will understand when you see younger kids type...

Graph
07-07-2012, 09:30 PM
I use perfect grammar in forum posts and stuff, but in the chatbox? There's absolutely no need at all, so I just don't bother putting capital letters in.

I never call people out on their grammar either, unless it's completely unreadable.

Dabottle
07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Was this topic really necessary?

1f u 7yp3 l13k d15 ur pr08481y <words I won't say on this forum>. (There are some exceptions...) Also, it makes no sense why you'd speak in leet. You're wasting time making your posts illegible!

however, i really don't care if people type like this. as long as you don't go out of your way to type in leet and your syntax and spelling are correct, it really doesn't matter.

Merga
07-07-2012, 09:32 PM
Eh, I like 1337 533K, and I like using good grammar as well, so I'm going to have to say I'm for neutrality on this one. Does the way you type really matter that much?

Graph
07-07-2012, 09:35 PM
Does the way you type really matter that much?

Uh, yes, you want it to be readable.

Anyways, I find that doing l33t speak is more effort than just typing normally, so it confuses me as to why people do it. -.-

DeMrTeunio
07-07-2012, 09:44 PM
I've always tried to keep my grammar clean on these forums. I just think the Queen's English is nicer for everybody.

EDIT: There's something else I feel like I have to say. I know nobody means any harm by it, but everyone who's a bit strict on something appears to be called a nazi on the internet. If you're from a country in which 1 in just 65 people didn't survive "The War" you'll grow up with a slightly different view on using the word "nazi" in this way. Once again, I know none of you mean to upset anyone with this, and I'm probably overreacting a bit, but let's not turn the worst event in world's history into a mockery.

Christian
07-07-2012, 09:50 PM
I prefer ''perfect grammar'' way over this new ''trend''.

Patriot
07-07-2012, 09:53 PM
I would be happy if people would actually push down Shift before they type the first letter of every sentence. That first capitalized letter makes a big difference on how it looks and represents yourself. That's all I really ask. It can't be that hard to press that button, unless you're really lazy.

Also, if anybody normally types l33t in their post, they're stupid. Moral of the story is, use the Shift button and space punctuation correctly. That will make a big difference, even if you misspell a word.

Oh wait, I almost forgot. Please try your best attempt at not butchering you spelling of a word. Just seeing something that's completely off makes me want to cringe and hide in a corner in fetal position.

SonicMario777
07-07-2012, 09:58 PM
I am definitely about grammer. No way do I like it when something is misspelled or doesn't sound right. I'm moderate on this, though... I'm not obsessive.

ShadowMr.L
07-07-2012, 09:59 PM
I'm with Mega on this one. However, I only use 1337 speak when I'm trolling. 99% of the time though I'm using proper grammar.

Shantae
07-07-2012, 10:21 PM
@Mega has a point for me.

Eventually, I use proper grammar (all the time) as the best I could in topics and post. Unless, If troll someone else (not here), than I don't use it.

Ice
07-07-2012, 10:28 PM
I make sure to use grammar as best I can when doing schoolwork, forum posts, etc. When I'm just chatting on things like the chatbox, Skype, etc., I've noticed I tend to drop end punctuation often and occasionally will drop capitals at the start of a sentence (though the latter is usually done as a joke). Honestly, as long as it's actually LEGIBLE, I really don't care.

However, I've never understood why people go out of their way to do things like this:
"h1 GUy5"
It makes no sense at all to me and I don't see why you would waste the time making something unreadable. I've heard people complain that they can't be bothered to type properly.

Even so...
id think typing like this would just be easier since it just means you dont have to put all that effort into holding shift for a moment and people can still actually understand what youre saying
But really, apostrophes just require you to press the key without Shift, so I don't really get why people don't take a second to add those in either.

Anyway, the second example is far more natural to type, is at least understandable, and you're not adding five minutes worth of work to typing each sentence by making it unreadable.

tl;dr
I don't really mind as long as it's legible, actually in English and doesn't look like "h1 GUy5".

whiffet
07-07-2012, 10:35 PM
People might call me a grammar nazi, I suppose. I don't mind mistakes (heck, I make mistakes!) but I insist on basic capitalization and punctuation. It should be required all over the internet for a good reason: not everyone is a native English speaker! It's hard enough for native speakers to decipher some messages. It's even harder for everyone else.

Red
07-07-2012, 11:33 PM
I prefer ''perfect grammar'' way over this new ''trend''.
This trend is far from new. It's gone on for years now.

I prefer using grammar over idiocy(Unless it's used for trolling, even then it's pretty low). I don't see the appeal with typing in l33t anyway(other than the already stated trolling). It takes more effort and only makes you look like a fool.

Kyoushiro
07-07-2012, 11:51 PM
Both sides annoy me sometimes. I hate it when people type in leet speak and I also hate it when people obsess over grammar. Yes, I do believe it's important, but some people just go too far... but I might as well say that Grammar Nazis are more tolerable.

The Arrow
07-08-2012, 12:11 AM
You'll hardly ever see me using bad grammar. Using good grammar is automatic for me, but I try not to over do it. I realize everyone can't have perfect grammar, but at least make it easy to read. Don't try to use complex words that not everyone knows the meaning to. Just type normally, like I do.

Shiningbolt
07-08-2012, 04:04 AM
I like communicating with people, so I normally use the best grammar I can. One Thousand Three Hundred and Thirty Seven SP Three Forward slash-Back slash K Three RS R Three Forward Slash-Back Slash One One Y C Zero Forward slash-Back slash-Forward slash FUS Three M Three.
(1337 SP3/\K3RS R3/\11Y C0/\/FUS3 M3)

Gyaradomo
07-08-2012, 04:12 AM
Although I may not show it, I am a Grammar Nazi. My inner grammar nazi is very powerful. Still, I manage to keep it inside and not correct everyone I see. The most it has come out is just correcting your, you're, their, there, they're, etc. Even though I can contain it, whenever I see grammatical errors, it curls up into the fetal position. Someday I'm just going to release it. I hope not on you guys.

Zachgoose
07-08-2012, 02:00 PM
forget leetspeek. when ppl type like dis it makes me angry. srsly y cant people make a small effort to make dere posts look tidy. i can understand if u feel the need to type like dis on a small phone or sth, but otherwise its very little extra effort to type properly.

BreeZaps
07-08-2012, 03:39 PM
I try my best to have good Grammar it doesnt work that good tho

Shaymin
11-17-2012, 11:46 AM
I try my best to use proper grammar. I hate it when people use 1337 speak. I use it even when I'm texting. Though I can accept people who can't spell.

Dragonite
11-17-2012, 10:05 PM
I think this lost cause that I tried a while ago (http://superskarmory.net/forum/showthread.php?1736-Can-anyone-here-spell-correctly) explains which side I'm on. Although you will see me spin off into 1337 once in a while, usually when it's 1:30 AM and I'm really tired but still here for some reason.

Cutiepuffle
11-17-2012, 11:04 PM
I really don't care about grammar, unless it's up to the point where I can't read it.

Rocket
11-17-2012, 11:12 PM
Grammer Nazis.

Sir Muffin of Saucer
11-17-2012, 11:14 PM
/stupidthreadtitle

Anyway, I can't stand l337 5p33k, but only when people are using it seriously, and to be honest, I've never encountered anyone using it seriously anyway. Using it to mock someone is absolutely fine. I don't mind if people don't use capitalisation and miss out full stops, but that's about my limit.

Clairvoya
11-17-2012, 11:17 PM
I'm a grammar nazi, but not to the point of pointing our its you're Not your. I'm okay with some leet speak, but not a full message of it, cause then I want to throw a dictionary at that person

Ayra
11-17-2012, 11:34 PM
7h15 5uk5. h0w c4n 4 hum4n r33d d15
It is also quite unnecessary to use this style and fashion of elevated formality.
i apreciate this style of typing&grammer where its simply in the middle of the quality scaile

Minntul
11-17-2012, 11:42 PM
Leet speak is retarded.

I'm not the type of person who enforces proper grammar, but at least I can read what a Grammar Nazi is saying.