PDA

View Full Version : An interesting question

Weavile
07-08-2012, 04:31 AM
This is my attempt at creating some thoughtful, decent conversation around here that requires more effort than "My favorite X is Y." Please put some thought into your post. It doesn't have to be long, but I want to gain some perspective from your post. So here it is:

The world is ending. A large chemical flood will engulf the entire world, killing all life on the planet. You have a large rubber raft, similar to [this], and this raft will be the only thing that will let you survive the flood (everyone else that is not on the raft will die). You can take anything and anyone you want with you on the raft, as long as it all fits and does not weigh you down to the point that you sink. The inevitability is, even if you take food, you and anyone you take with you will die. There is no land left to survive on, and anything below the chemical waste is dead.

These will be the last moments of your life. What do you take with you?

Tainers14
07-08-2012, 05:49 AM
I'd take my violin, and play while I drown to my death. That would be an ideal ending for me as a musician.

WillyS105
07-08-2012, 05:56 AM
To be honest I'd let someone else have the raft. I'd put a bible on the raft and book mark the book of john before I'd give it away though.

Kyoushiro
07-08-2012, 06:16 AM
Sigh... I try not to think about things like these. I wish I could save the ones that mean the most to me and one of my biggest fears is that I wouldn't be able to. Maybe I'd take my Walkman and listen to one more song before I die, or maybe be like tainers and play a sad song on the world's smallest violin. Maybe I could leave something important to the earth on the raft, like a Bible or maybe a scrapbook filled with pictures of what the earth was like before the chemical mess, if someone were to find it after the mess.

DeMrTeunio
07-08-2012, 06:53 AM
What I think I'd do is invite some friends over and try to have one last moment of joy. I think it'd take some serious mental strength not to focus on your inevitable death, but it is the way I'd prefer to spend my last moments.

Firekid491
07-08-2012, 08:01 AM
I would take a picture of my family, i wouldnt want them to suffer so they wouldnt be on the boat but i would have a picture of them so they can be with me when i am dying.

ShadowMr.L
07-08-2012, 12:49 PM
I would take my 8th grade sweatshirt. I'd reflect on my past, all the things I've done, the people I've met. What I wish I could change and wish I had before I drowned and died.

Graph
07-08-2012, 01:26 PM
I'd kill myself before I got the chance to drown, to be honest. Going on the raft is pointless, it just delays your death and leaves you to drown yourself in the mess, or slowly dying of starvation or dehydration. And drowning is an absolutely horrible way to die.

Dabottle
07-08-2012, 01:31 PM
I'd take as many of my best friends as I can and spend the last moments of our pitiful lives together, happy.

Xerodragon12
07-08-2012, 01:43 PM
At this point, my (real life) friends are probably dead, being the unathletic people they are, so I guess the only things I'd bring is my violin, my lucky pencil, a sword, and a picture of my friends and family together.
Right before my inevitable death, I'll play "The Final Countdown" on the violin, and then stick the pencil in my pocket, then use the sword to commit seppuku, so I can die a healthy death, untainted by the chemical waste below.
But way before that, I'll actually make an effort to paint (yes, paint) a picture of the world before this disaster, and maybe leave a recording of my last wishes, to be found by possible survivors or other intelligent life forms. The recording would be of me requesting that the finder understand why this disaster occurred, and that it will take time before the Earth's natural resources would begin to recover, and only then, can they hope to resurrect a society of peace and happiness.

Zachgoose
07-08-2012, 01:50 PM
I would get on the raft by myself, lie down, stare up at the sky, and just think about life until I died of starvation.

The Arrow
07-08-2012, 03:34 PM
I'd probably take my Trumpet, and my DS or something. I'd reflect on all the memories I had.

BreeZaps
07-08-2012, 03:38 PM
I would grab my kitty and remember all that i have done and pray then drown.

Uzi
07-08-2012, 04:10 PM
Like Zach, I'd most likely end up just laying on the raft thinking about what I've done and what I could've done to improve myself. I know that perfection doesn't exist but I strive to learn more about things that interest me and to try new things to give me something to do. Some stick, and some don't. I dislike that part about myself since I always end up wanting to do everything at once but not having the time to do so.

If I really wanted to bring something along, it would most likely be a cup of coffee or just a bag of coffee beans. I've put off drinking coffee for a while because I think that coffee is what separates me from an adult. Coffee just seems like the last step to take since form my perspective it just seems like a last resort to pick yourself up before going to your boring job to do the same boring thing.

Christian
07-08-2012, 04:42 PM
This is actually hard. I don't even know if i'd like to be on that raft but I suppose that I would bring a pillow and a blanket. Simply falling asleep comfortably and maybe, never wake up. Yet it wouldn't bother me.

Majorasfan
07-08-2012, 09:10 PM
Slightly sad, huh? xD

I would probably take some of my best friends, a laptop with my external hard drives and some way of staying charged, and enough food to last about a week or so. I would want my last days to be fun and enjoyable, and I wouldn't want to think about the inevitable doom befalling me. I would enjoy myself to the very end. If I thought about the hopelessness of the situation, it would be over for me, so I would refuse to do that.

Weavile
07-08-2012, 09:14 PM
Haha, not really. I just wanted something to force people to write longer posts xD
So you say you wanted to enjoy your last days, which is a pretty good way to deal with your inevitable death. But why not bring any friends with you to enjoy your last days?

thechiquidracula
07-09-2012, 12:03 AM
ok this actually got me thinking for a while cause i have never imagine my end and since you gave me the idea i needed to think ........ i would not take any family member or friends with me because it will be bringing people that i love to suffer more that what they are going to suffer and i would not like that ... even thought i would not go in the raft because of that one reason in that precise moment you would not think clearly and the only thing in your mine will be survive and yet i would not have time to bring anything once i am in safety ( think you are ) i will then realize that i was making my death take longer and just throw myself in the water i have no choice i just wish for the best when i am about to throw myself in the water

Davismt
07-09-2012, 12:38 AM
I would take my dog and a couple of friends and just sit back and enjoy my last moments of life hanging out with my friends and my dog and reflecting on what we did in our lives and enjoying the rest of my very short life.

Blue
07-09-2012, 04:33 AM
I'd bring a tablet that has a long battery life. And play games.

What I would do is flashback at the events at my life. I would think about what happens after... death.

I'd think of how successful I was. You know.

Patriot
07-09-2012, 04:47 AM
I would pull out my Smith and Wesson 1911 and shoot myself to spare me the misery. Somebody else can have the boat.

(Yes I actually have a SW1911)

Shantae
07-09-2012, 05:58 AM
I'll think about my whole life span, and memory about old SS forums in past (Spurz) to now. Then, just lying down and I'll be dead by starvation or a rock destroy my raft, as soon as it could be for rest of my life. Chemicals ruin the world, everyone had to die. (Not really) But, it is so sad.

Kamex
07-09-2012, 06:01 AM
I would think about the happy times I've had in my life. The trip down memory lane would take my mind off of the inevitable end of my life. I will take my ps3, an album of my family, my clarinet, and guitar. Just to let it be known by the next intelligent life forms that will rule this chemical wasteland, that there was once a guy here who lived a good life.

Umbrony
07-09-2012, 03:15 PM
Hrm. I think I would bring my iPad, and listen to the music as well. The bible idea is nice too.

I would also create a Time capsule for the people of the future to find, and see what things were like before all thier new fangled advance technology.

And a few of my drawings would go in there.

TheTrainerExpert
07-18-2012, 12:20 AM
I would take my football and yell as I drown FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOTBALLLLLLLLLLLLLL RULZ!!!

SuperSkittle
07-18-2012, 12:30 AM
I would take all my childhood pictures to look back at them

shadowdude
07-18-2012, 01:32 AM
i would let my family have the raft

Totodile
07-30-2012, 09:02 PM
I would take a bible with me.

OwenDaynes
08-01-2012, 12:42 AM
I wouldn't take the raft myself, as I don't think I could live with myself (pardon the pun(not that I'd need to, I'm dying)) if I was to save myself and leave my family and friends. Instead, I think I'd put my neice, my sister (her mum) and her dad on the raft with enough food and water to last a little while. I've pretty much figured that although 16 years isn't a very long life, it is a longer life than 4 years, and I'd want her to experience a little bit more of life and happiness before the inevitable happened. Somewhere along the line, I'd hide a time capsule in/on the raft, containing a recording, documenting what has happened, why it happened, and hope that history does not repeat itself. I'd also put photographs in this capsule, showing what the Earth looked like, showing what man-kind both gloriously built and yet ruthlessly destroyed at the same time, and a final picture of myself, my family and my friends, those who meant the most to me, because as a mere one person out of seven billion, I would not like to be forgotten, and known only as a number.

As for myself, I think I'd spend time with my family, confess my love to "that girl that I like", apologise for some of my bigger, less greater moments of my life and try to spend my last moments happy, or at least content, with the life that I never really had really had chance to live.

Suprsilver
08-01-2012, 01:10 AM
I'll take on my iPod and listen to The Final Countdown, I'll take several pictures of my family and closest friends so I won't get lonely, a Bible, a bit of food (just a little), and I will reflect on my life. Honestly, that's the only way to go.

joebob2311
08-01-2012, 06:43 PM
To be honest I'd let someone else have the raft.

I would not see the need to be on it and then die anyways. It would just be too dramatic.

jackers96
08-01-2012, 07:16 PM
take the raft to a NASA lauching place and try to fly a rocket with my friends and family with a bible to say my final prayers

MegaGible13
08-02-2012, 04:13 AM
Bring a few tacos, a copy of The Hobbit, and my iPod with only the song "Don't Look Back in Anger". Listen, read, eat, and watch the world burn.

emboar11
08-04-2012, 02:37 AM
idk. suck a random question lol

Charizardflyer
08-04-2012, 05:40 AM
*reads what everyone posted* :'(

I would grab a 3ds and my Charizard figure and get on the raft. Put my 3ds in a time capsul and a few drawings and pictures. Hold my Charizard figure close and puch a hole in the raft and think of what a great life i had. T-T

If this happed in the world of pokemon i would grab a bag of food and stuff and fly on my Charizard.

Dragonite
09-22-2012, 08:50 PM
Take a beaker of the chemical, run over to the chemistry classroom and come up with a solution that'll react and turn the chemical flood into something harmful.

Shaymin
11-18-2012, 01:18 AM
I would take all of my handhelds, my laptop and my sister with me. Letting my parents just die is totally fine with me, but I want to say goodbye to everything that I took along with me.