PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else listen to music while writing?

WillyS105
07-16-2012, 05:49 PM
I love to write stories. I usually listen to music while I do so. It helps me match a specific character mode and feelings, and also helps me with there actions.

Say I'm writing about a pure humble man who is always optimistic. I'll listen to upbeat and christian songs like these ones to help me feel like I'm that character:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zASHA-9WhHY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ssQhrFEWIag

Or say I'm writing about someone who is angry or at conflict with himself. I'll listen heavy rock or metal.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8wSh_Eryv8

Depressed:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3aF9AJm0RFc

Someone with a Goal in Mind:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fnvzlDmTEI
^^^Well I need to be carful while listening to eninem, he can mix my emotions and I can ruin my character

Anyway I can go all day, but does anyone else do this? If not you should try it, because it sure helps me.

Suicidal:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWNaR-rxAic

Kyoushiro
07-16-2012, 08:43 PM
I believe this is in the right Section...? If any other mods think otherwise they can move it to Media Discussion.

Back when I used to write a whole lot, I did like to listen to music. However I could only listen to instrumental music because music with lyrics would just distract me. Even then, music of any kind seemed to distract me, so I just liked to write in silence.

shadowdude
07-16-2012, 08:44 PM
yes it helps me finish homework faster

Tuxy
07-16-2012, 08:47 PM
I used to write a lot, but I don't anymore. Back in the days, I listened to music while writing, but now it would probably distract me too much.

Kamex
07-16-2012, 11:15 PM
I don't listen to music while typing my Fanfic. I find it pretty distracting. To each their own, I guess. :)

EchoReaver
07-17-2012, 05:15 PM
I find it impossible to write without music. It helps me focus and gets me in a writing mood.

DeMrTeunio
07-17-2012, 05:33 PM
I don't really write as such... I wrote some poems when I was younger and I'd always listen to music when I did that. I also like having music on while I'm doing my homework.

Shantae
07-17-2012, 05:59 PM
For me, I don't write as much as I do right now. My English isn't as crisp and perfect, and Plus my writing's are so terrible lately. Like everyone said, I can't focus writing a very important essay or what when the music is on, I'll lose my focus. But I do listen to music if I had homework which some are really easy. Why not? H.W. is kinda boring.

Umbrony
07-18-2012, 12:06 AM
All of the time. When it's romantic....

I use less than clean songs. >_< let's say that. XD

Mirriors by Natalia Kills is my favorite now for romance.

I listen to video game OST most of the time.

ShadowMr.L
07-18-2012, 12:58 AM
I agree with this totally. Whenever I write something intense I listen to intense songs to boost my story.

Shiningbolt
07-19-2012, 06:26 PM
I believe this is in the right Section...? If any other mods think otherwise they can move it to Media Discussion.

Back when I used to write a whole lot, I did like to listen to music. However I could only listen to instrumental music because music with lyrics would just distract me. Even then, music of any kind seemed to distract me, so I just liked to write in silence.

Actually, Kyo, I think it makes more sense for this to be in the General Discussion section since the thread-maker didn't specify what the written work is about.

Anyways, only all the time! I listen to music about 80% of the time while I'm writing. It doesn't really draw inspiration, but it certainly helps me get into the mood.

Christian
07-19-2012, 07:22 PM
Yeah, I do use music whenever I can because it helps my creativity. Also I always listen to music.

XpL
07-19-2012, 07:26 PM
To General Discussion we go.
This is a forum for hosting creative works of literature.

In any form of writing, no I don't listen to music. It distracts me from concentrating properly as I have to divert my attention to two different sources. By eliminating music and only concentrating on what I am writing, I can produce a higher quality piece, more often than not quicker as well.

The Arrow
07-19-2012, 08:48 PM
Yes, but usually the only time this occurs is during school. For whatever reason, my teachers loved to play music during class last year and I personally thoroughly enjoyed it!

GigaGyarados
07-20-2012, 10:55 AM
Music definitly helps with homework and stuff, so yeah.

XpL
07-20-2012, 12:13 PM
Music definitly helps with homework and stuff, so yeah.
Research indicates that the best music to listen to while studying is classical. Any other genre is subjective but more likely to do harm than good when studying.

Gyaradomo
07-20-2012, 05:40 PM
I listen to various types of music while writing. It helps me concentrate because it soothes my mind so it makes my mind easier to think and stuff.

EpicCh33se
07-27-2012, 08:35 PM
I usually listen to music when I'm writing. It helps a lot when the song fits with the situation in the story.

Graph
07-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Listening to Justin Bieber helps bring out my inner Shakespeare.

Suprsilver
07-27-2012, 10:06 PM
Sometimes. House + dubstep ^^

Dakota
07-27-2012, 10:12 PM
I never listen to music while writing. It's normally pretty distracting. Sometimes I walk around when I write so I can get ideas from where I am, though.

joebob2311
07-27-2012, 11:55 PM
I don't write stories but if I have to write an essay or just do some homework, some good music can be good. Not too loud and it needs to be a good new song.

MatthewZ124
07-28-2012, 12:04 AM
It depends. If I am writing a very long assignment, I may turn on music so I do not get complety bored. If it's something short, I just decide to focus on the assignment.

Totodile
07-28-2012, 09:18 PM
Yes on occasion. At my school some teachers give us mints and play classical music because supposedly according to scientists mint and classical music increases brain activity.

emboar11
08-04-2012, 03:34 PM
no because its REALLY distracting 2 me

Kyoits
08-14-2012, 01:44 AM
Yes, and when i do for some random reason, i write faster when i'm listening to music, it's very weird but it helps me finish homework faster

Tainers14
08-14-2012, 03:41 AM
Maybe if I am making an outline, I'll listen to music, but I prefer it to be quiet because I really like keeping my writing wordy so I need to think for that.

However when I am reading, I blast Shakira. It keeps me from getting distracted #themhips

Sammiiee13
08-14-2012, 04:02 AM
I usually listen to music while writing, however sometimes I find I start writing whatbim listening to. Thank god for rough drafts.

Edit. What I'm **

Patriot
08-14-2012, 04:43 PM
Trust me, listening to acid techno and IDM while trying to write something doesn't work very well. Ambient electronic on the other hand...

UbersSuck20
08-15-2012, 07:35 AM
No, because I'm not too fond of music and it distracts me.

Reiko Asagiri
09-23-2012, 02:43 AM
I always listen to music when I do my homework!

ILIEKPIE
09-23-2012, 05:59 AM
Yup, helps me think and lets my emotions flow

Charizardflyer
09-23-2012, 01:57 PM
I listen to music when i wright. It keeps me focused and I can think of stuff better. Music makes homework less boring.

TheTrainerExpert
09-23-2012, 10:36 PM
I do sometimes, but I can't concentrate too much while listening to it x_x.

Shaymin
08-01-2013, 06:32 PM
Oh, most definitely. It helps to block out any outside noise and it helps to have some inspiration. Not only that, it sets the mood for me sometimes.

sonriopoby123
08-03-2013, 02:48 PM
Actually I listen to music whenever I'm doing something that's boring. It tends to get a bit boring though.

herothezero
08-03-2013, 07:10 PM
I sometimes listen to "Eye of the Tiger" while doing important projects and essays.

Ayra
08-03-2013, 07:14 PM
When I write for school, I usually don't. But I do when writing fanfics.

Zoey Zealous
08-03-2013, 07:58 PM
Unless I have my earphones practically ripped off of me. I will listen to music all the time. It is a coping mechanism for me.

brecot
08-03-2013, 08:54 PM
I really don't listen to music. But on rare occasions, I listen to meh favorite song while doing homework.

DarkSide
08-05-2013, 03:14 PM
I like to listen to music when I draw/wright, It helps me focus.

X!!
08-11-2013, 04:59 AM
Back when I wrote fanfictions, I listened to a lot of VGM while writing. Now, I just do that when I do my homework (And finish it after a few hours because how easily I get distracted).

BreeZaps
08-12-2013, 06:24 PM
I do when I do work at school

ShaymieTehShaymin
08-12-2013, 10:54 PM
I used to listen to music while I wrote, but I got distracted. @~@

Rocket
08-13-2013, 04:24 AM
I do this a lot. Relaxing.

MuddyMudkip
08-13-2013, 08:20 AM
All the time! :D For some reason or another, listening to music somehow inspires me to write, just write and write and write. Let's say I'm writing a fic of somesort and get stuck at a certain point in the story, I immediately plug in my earphones (if I wasn't listening to some music already) and just sit there and let the songs slip by. I don't try to think much, just let the words float on by, let the music relax me and soothe me; I just feel more refreshed and energetic while listening to music XD I usually like listening to songs that are very lyrically beautiful, and those that are pretty deep, especially when the story calls for moments like that. If it's a fast-paced or action-filled scene, I skip over to more appropriate songs, like dubstep or something that's just really upbeat. In school, our teacher sometimes plays some songs as well when we're writing our Theme Papers (sometimes he even lets us blast our own music! xD); unfortunately, when it's essay writing time (in exams and such), we obviously can't have music playing in the background, which is just a shame. But yeah, music (mostly the lyrics and play on words when I'm writing more serious stuff) definitely helps me as I write.

Meta
08-13-2013, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I used to becoming totally distracted when I listened to music while writing. Although, nowadays I can listen to music and it actually helps me out a lot. Depending on what I'm listening to it can be like I'm writing from a different perspective at times.