PDA

View Full Version : What's special about Chrono Trigger?

Spirrwell
07-17-2012, 06:14 AM
I've never played Chrono Trigger before, but I've been watching videos and seeing how everything works. I see quite a lot of people make Chrono Trigger out to be a legendary game, one of the best of all time. I would get Chrono Trigger and play it and whatnot, but from what I see it looks fairly boring. I personally grew up with the Super Mario franchise, which eventually led me into The Legend of Zelda. It's just one of those games where I can play it, it's awesome, I can look up a video, it's awesome, I just love every aspect of the games. (Ocarina of Time, A Link to the Past, and such, not the portable games)

What I want to know is, what am I missing about Chrono Trigger? It just seems like a really typical RPG game. I'm also not a fan of Final Fantasy either. I'm not trying to start something here, I'm just looking for what people see in Chrono Trigger that I don't see, what do you play the game for? Basically, what's the main element of the game that draws you into it?

SonicMario777
07-17-2012, 06:21 AM
I also wanna know what's with the hype on this game, and why SS loves this game as well (which ironically, despite this, he hasn't done a Walkthrough of this game yet even though he's tried a few times in the past).

Dabottle
07-17-2012, 12:06 PM
Chrono Trigger is one of the best RPGs ever made. It's that simple, really.
Eyan just treats it like it's the best thing ever, when it's not. It's one of the best things ever.

Shiningbolt
07-17-2012, 01:04 PM
You'd probably have to be a fan of RPGs in the first place to enjoy Chrono Trigger. It's a very good game, though in my opinion. The music is really impactful, fights are kind of cool since what you can do is based on your position and the enemies' and the attacks you choose, and I personally think the story was thought out well. There are all sorts of time-based incidents that can occur throughout the game and it has quite a few endings that are mostly entertaining to get. As for why there's "hype" for it, it's a very old game, but also a pretty good game, so many people have had a chance to play it and brag about it. Word gets around and a good game actually becomes popular. Think: Okami.
I don't think people should ask why others have "hype" for something when really, it's one's opinion of the game and how it's carried out that matters.

Spitfire
07-17-2012, 01:49 PM
It's a game developed by Square(-Enix) so it has to be a god among RPGs just for that simple fact.

Minntul
07-17-2012, 02:22 PM
Chrono Trigger is one my favorite games of all time. It's a rather unique RPG that you can really appreciate it compared to other RPG's and has done things others haven't done before. The Battle system is great and works really well, I really like how certain characters can do their own special attack that only they can do. The plot is really great to, and it's especially fun to be able to travel into any point in time you want to. The characters are all very interesting and all have really cool back stories. The music is amazing and it makes you really feel the tension and/or the emotions of each character.

If it's through buying it for the DS or through the Wii's Virtual Console, expect to have a really great time with it, you're missing out on a really great game.

Don't expect a sequel, though.

Spirrwell
07-17-2012, 05:04 PM
As for why there's "hype" for it, it's a very old game, but also a pretty good game, so many people have had a chance to play it and brag about it. Word gets around and a good game actually becomes popular. Think: Okami.
I don't think people should ask why others have "hype" for something when really, it's one's opinion of the game and how it's carried out that matters.

I've never played Okami. As a matter of fact, I've never heard of it until you mentioned it. I'll look that up. As for me asking what draws people to the game, I ask because if I just ask for an opinion about the game, I know I'm going to get some sort of a bias, and too many opinions to figure out why people really like the game.

For me, there's a few RPG style games that I like. For example, The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past. Yes I know, it's not a true RPG game, but there's a reason I'm drawn to it. I'm drawn to the character Link, the story behind the main character, and side characters later on. It has vibrant colors, and it has the right environment for the character to interact in. I feel like if one of these things is wrong, whether it be the color, the story, the characters, or the environment, the game just doesn't feel right.

You need the right music to go with the environment, which in some cases is no music at all, just sounds. You need the right vibrancy and the right color to match the tone of the game. There's just so many elements that go into it, and for me, one element can't make up for another, most of the time anyway.

When I look at videos of Chrono Trigger, there's things I can't stand and I don't want to continue watching. I don't like the dark and grainy look to it, I don't like the music with the way the game is presented with colors and environment, and you're thrown right into the game without any real story. The dark colors work better with other games like the early Castlevania games, because it's right for the game's environment. I've seen the introduction to the game, and it's amazing, (I don't like the Dragon Ball Z looking opening from the PlayStation version) but the game just doesn't feel balanced properly to me.

Do these elements balance out at a certain point in the game? I know that somebody here probably wants to shoot me for saying what I've said, but it's just how I feel when I look at the game. I just want to settle the problem here. Is there some part of the game I'm not noticing, or is it just that it's not a game that appeals to me?

Minntul
07-17-2012, 06:14 PM
There's a huge difference between watching the game and playing the game. The dark and grainy look is necessary for how the game makes you feel, and know how bad the current situation has gotten. It isn't supposed to feel lively, everything has gone completely wrong.

Also Link and Crono are exactly the same. Heroic without personality.

I'd say the game starts really picking up once you get to time travel to where ever you want.

Qwerty
07-17-2012, 07:00 PM
Chrono trigger is essentially a really, really good classic rpg with a few interesting elements. Don't judge until you've tried it, I loved it personally.

Tainers14
07-17-2012, 07:46 PM
You're just going to have to wait until December 2012 when Eyan releases part one of Chrono Trigger

#judgementday

Spirrwell
07-17-2012, 08:07 PM
Alright, I got the game from a friend for the Super Nintendo as he thought the game was boring too, and it seemed okay on a bigger screen, but when I got to the point where you're transported through time, I died. That's when I realized how angry I was when I found that there was no continues. I do recall a save feature being used in one of the videos I saw, I might've glanced over it, but I'm definitely not the kind that likes to save their progress every five minutes. That is enough for me to dislike any game, it's just not my playing style.

Minntul
07-17-2012, 08:28 PM
It's a normal thing for nearly every RPG. Whenever you die, you go right back to where you saved. When you're travelling on the map, make sure to occassionally pause the game and save before going into a place filled with enemies. The saving only takes a minute, so there's nothing to be impatient about.

Spirrwell
07-17-2012, 09:05 PM
That's something I don't want to do. I may forget to save and I would get killed and get sent back to a much earlier point in the game. It's also an inconvenience to pause the game and save it. That's me, it's just not my playing style. I like to be able to keep moving forward. Another problem with moving forward is that when I bump into enemies I have to fight them. I guess it's the RPG style I don't like.

Either way I tested Chrono Trigger, and it's far from my type of game, I just don't like it. I was thinking that maybe I was missing something if it was supposed to be one of the greatest games of all time. I think that it'd definitely be a great game for people that are into that style of gameplay, I'm just not.

Minntul
07-17-2012, 09:12 PM
How far did you get up to anyway?

Spirrwell
07-17-2012, 09:16 PM
When I went back in time, I went to the main map and talked to some of the people talking about a war and how it was the year 600 or something. I went into the forest, and that's where I died.

Minntul
07-17-2012, 09:20 PM
So you didn't even get to reach until the game really picks up or even 5% of the game

Okay.

MiniTapp
07-17-2012, 09:42 PM
Chrono Trigger is like classical music, it takes a few plays to get into really. When I first played Chrono Trigger, I was like 'What's all the fuss about'? But from after the Magus scene, the game really started to get better and now I love it so much. Takes a lot of time to grow on you, but in life, the best things are like that. *Cough cough girlfriend cough cough*

Spirrwell
07-18-2012, 12:37 AM
So you didn't even get to reach until the game really picks up or even 5% of the game

Okay.

Ugh, I had a big reply until I realized I didn't quote you so, I'll make this short, I got to the point in the game where you're fighting the dragon tank after you're imprisoned. I still have the same feelings as I did before. I don't understand why watching videos of the game wasn't enough to satisfy my point, I still wonder what people see in the game. Oh well, I just don't like that type of a game I guess.

SuperSkittle
07-18-2012, 12:44 AM
Its just such a great RPG that people always liked. Chrono Trigger is my favorite game of all time

The Arrow
07-18-2012, 02:27 AM
I believe it's simply the idea of being able to go back and forth in time and it has a very cool RPG feel to it. I think it's a great game, but it's definitely not the best game ever. One of the best in my opinion.

DeMrTeunio
07-18-2012, 12:58 PM
The story, gameplay and music of Chrono Trigger are outstanding. That's what's special about it. It's not my favorite game, but it is just a quality piece of video game engineering.

Spirrwell
07-18-2012, 07:35 PM
Well I stayed up nearly all night and started playing a little bit earlier today, I beat the game, and I still have the same feelings. Not my type of game, but I guess it's great for an RPG game person. It takes WAY too long just to get to one point in the game though. You get to the point where you walk five steps, fight an enemy, walk five steps, fight more enemies, and so on. I got really bored. I also apparently beat the hardest version of the game according to the guy at the end of time.

chronoquairium
07-18-2012, 10:21 PM
In Chrono Trigger, there is multiple endings. You get that ending you got, Spirrwell, after defeating Lavos in the Ocean Palace or a the beginning of New Game +. There is more to the game than that. You won a fight that you had to lose to progress, if you did it in the Ocean Palace. Lavos is powered up in the Ocean Palace section.

Umbrony
07-18-2012, 10:33 PM
XD it's an awesome RPG. You can make it as simple or as complicated as you want.

Xenxenxen
07-19-2012, 12:12 AM
Chrono Trigger is one my favorite games of all time. It's a rather unique RPG that you can really appreciate it compared to other RPG's and has done things others haven't done before. The Battle system is great and works really well, I really like how certain characters can do their own special attack that only they can do. The plot is really great to, and it's especially fun to be able to travel into any point in time you want to. The characters are all very interesting and all have really cool back stories. The music is amazing and it makes you really feel the tension and/or the emotions of each character.

If it's through buying it for the DS or through the Wii's Virtual Console, expect to have a really great time with it, you're missing out on a really great game.

Don't expect a sequel, though.

Chrono Cross was released for the Playstation as a "sequel"
That being said, a person who does not enjoy JRPGS would probably not like Chrono Trigger. In my opinion, it has a compelling storyline and a good soundtrack. What sets it apart from other RPGs for me is the sidequests. Square managed to make it so that the sidequests are interesting, give more depth to the storyline, and actually have decent awards for the trouble.

ShadowMr.L
07-19-2012, 12:16 AM
May I state it's one of my favorite RPG games. I love how the story is laid out. How the game play is. The music is at top notch. And the characters are really amazing.

Zachgoose
07-19-2012, 05:05 PM
Chrono Trigger was arguably the first RPGs to really bring everything together in my opinion.

Other game series had some elements of good storyline, graphics, music, combat, length, and characterization, but Chrono Trigger is one of the few traditional RPGs to this day that's almost flawless. I'd say that one could play it as many times as they wanted and never get bored.

XpL
07-19-2012, 05:52 PM
FFIV is pretty good as well what are you talking about?

As iterated by countless members, we thank them for their contributions in answering the question.
It is now time to lock this thread as the OP has been answered.