PDA

View Full Version : Radiant Historia - Similar To Chrono Trigger, Except Far Superior.

Urist McAxelord
07-17-2012, 10:38 PM
A quick warning, while I will try to keep this post spoiler-free, a few might fall under the radar. However, fear not, for most of my ramblings likely won't make sense to a sane and rational mind. Now then...

http://tinyurl.com/RadiantHistoria

Radiant Historia is a fantastic game. The basic premise is fairly simple: The main character (and therefore the player) must travel through two seperate timelines in order to achieve his goals, which generally (but not always) consist of his continued survival, and maintaining the existence of the continent (known as Vainqueur) which houses the entirety of the known world in this impressive game. To do this, the main character (Stocke) must use the White Chronicle, a mysterious book with the ability to record critical decisions and events in history and allow the user to travel between them. However, an unknown adversary wielding the Black Chronicle - the White Chronicle's counterpart - is of course waiting around every corner (well, more or less) to throw a metaphorical wrench into the equally metaphorical machine.

The gameplay in this game is excellent. The battle mechanics are quite unique - the enemies are arranged on a 3x3 grid, and in order to successfully defeat even the earliest battles, you must learn to use this to your advantage by pushing around enemies and stacking them in order to kill as many of them as possible with a single attack. Because of this, the battles feel far more interesting than the standard RPG fare found in games like Final Fantasy, or Dragon Quest. Outside of battles, there is a fairly large world to explore, which is full of NPCs with actually interesting dialogue (one of my greatest problems with games like Final Fantasy and even Chrono Trigger was that most of the NPCs were rather boring, lacking any particularly interesting dialogue). There are a massive number of sidequests in this game, ranging from simple, two-minute hops through time to long, difficult sidequests that require you to visit a great majority of the times and places in the game, to everything in between.

Oh, and the game has a brilliant soundtrack.

I highly recommend this game to anyone and everyone who has played and enjoyed just about any RPG ever.

Dabottle
07-17-2012, 10:40 PM
It took you over an hour and a half to type that up?

I'll leave everybody with this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j37_JS1cQQI&feature=related
Please listen to the rest of the OST, too.

Urist McAxelord
07-17-2012, 10:43 PM
I was taking regular breaks every five minutes. Each break was about ten minutes long, and I had one cup of tea per break. That's why it was taking me a while.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-17-2012, 10:50 PM
It looks like it is an interesting game, but which system is it for?

Urist McAxelord
07-17-2012, 10:51 PM
I'm so sorry, I forgot to add that to the OP. It's for the DS.

Zachgoose
07-19-2012, 05:07 PM
>Far to superior to Chrono Trigger.

You have my attention, even though that's probably a blatant LIE. I'll try it out, though. xP

XpL
07-19-2012, 06:32 PM
Far to superior to Chrono Trigger.
Extremely unreliable and opinionated statement. I removed it from the title.
Although I am curiously interested in the basic underlying plot.