PDA

View Full Version : What kind of parent would you be?

Umbrony
07-24-2012, 05:35 AM
Would you be the strict parent?
Or would you spoil the little brats to death like we were when we were their age? (mfw<now. XD)
No point here, just a survey. XD want to know would you be a responsible parent.
Thxbai.

Minntul
07-24-2012, 05:43 AM
To me it really depends how job is paying me. I actually never want to have kids but I probably wouldn't spoil them much anyway even if I did have the money. They just end up asking for more and more and become whiney if they don't get what they want. That becomes especially apparent if you spoil them in their younger years.

I guess I would be strict with them since it gets them to shape up and understand everything quicker. They become more obedient and no what they can and can't get.

EpicCh33se
07-24-2012, 05:53 AM
I wouldn't hit my children whenever they did something wrong.

DeMrTeunio
07-24-2012, 08:22 AM
I don't think I could ever be strict to my kids. I feel it's a parent's job to accept their children for what they are and give their kids the freedom to live their own life. I think my parents did this amazingly well. They always gave me the freedom to learn and make mistakes myself, and have rarely ever been really angry with me when I did make mistakes, only disappointed. And because they were always so supportive and nice to me it actually made me want to improve on myself. I just think this way of raising children builds a lot of character.

ShadowMr.L
07-24-2012, 12:49 PM
I'd be a nice Father. If they misbehave I'll let them know they're doing wrong with a very small punishment. I'll also like to hear what they think about school's they wanna go to. I'd let them. Which is a freedom I've lost.

GigaGyarados
07-24-2012, 12:53 PM
I agree with Shadow. Give them a small punishment when they do something wrong. That's life.

Dabottle
07-24-2012, 12:55 PM
I'd make sure to let my children be themselves and have fun. I despise parents who try to control their children and/or force their beliefs upon them. I'd also make sure they learn to be responsible and wouldn't blame others when they do something wrong. Most importantly, I'd prioritise educating them and teaching them what's wrong over over punishing them and trying to control them.

Edit: After reading through this thread, I realised I'd missed a few things. I wouldn't monitor every single thing they do. I somewhat covered this earlier, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I'd make sure to teach them what they shouldn't do, rather than monitoring their every action. No punishing by physical assault. None whatsoever. That is absolutely horrible. I wouldn't hide anything from them either. If they want to know something, I'll tell them. We shouldn't hide stuff from our kids. If they want to know where they came from, for example, they can know.

Davismt
07-24-2012, 01:28 PM
I'd Make sure hey have a good life and have fun with their life. I'd give them the freedom to choose what school they went to, but when they did something wrong, I would tell them and if it keeps happening I will start dealing minor punishments.

Tainers14
07-24-2012, 01:33 PM
This really depends on how my wife is like, but honestly, I'll probably end up being really strict so that they don't turn out to be spoiled children, that's the last thing I want my children to become.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-24-2012, 01:53 PM
The kind of father I would be is one that loves his kids, but can be strict at certain times. Course I would punish them if they do something wrong.

Zachgoose
07-24-2012, 02:00 PM
I wouldn't hit my children whenever they did something wrong.

I might.

...Just kidding. I don't believe that physical violence is an effective way to discipline your children in the long run. I'd be nice, open, and happy with them. I'd also educated them on anything they want, because I just KNOW they're going to be corrupted by some little kid, and I'd rather corrupt them myself to ensure that it's done properly.

Kyoushiro
07-24-2012, 03:08 PM
I'm going to be honest and say that I hate kids and I never, ever want to have kids of my own. (Please do not tell me otherwise. Please.) If I can't tolerate my little sisters and treat them better at this age, I know I would never be a good parent.
This makes me scared to think about what it would be like if I HAD to be a parent one day- I'm scared that I would be too strict on them or just get annoyed easily. Therefore I'll take the logical way out and just not have kids. >_<

Red
07-24-2012, 04:46 PM
I'd make sure to let my children be themselves and have fun. I despise parents who try to control their children and/or force their beliefs upon them. I'd also make sure they learn to be responsible and wouldn't blame others when they do something wrong. Most importantly, I'd prioritise educating them and teaching them what's wrong over over punishing them and trying to control them.

Edit: After reading through this thread, I realised I'd missed a few things. I wouldn't monitor every single thing they do. I somewhat covered this earlier, but I figured it was worth mentioning. I'd make sure to teach them what they shouldn't do, rather than monitoring their every action. No punishing by physical assault. None whatsoever. That is absolutely horrible. I wouldn't hide anything form them either. If they want to know something, I'll tell them. We shouldn't hide stuff from our kids. If they want to know where they came from, for example, they can know.

This really sums me up nicely. I really don't have anything else to add to it other than banning "new-age" rap music and acting like a wannabe gangster.

Otherwise....dad arrested for domestic abuse to wife and kids.

Gamersaiyan4
07-24-2012, 06:28 PM
I would be the parent my father NEVER was and be the parent my mom was,fair and pleasant to be around :)

Empoleonmaster
07-24-2012, 07:30 PM
I was with my friends, and they were talking about how incredibly strict they would be as parents. It really weirded me out. I would like to think I would be the cool parent, because I wish my parents were more chill.

Shiningbolt
07-24-2012, 07:33 PM
I don't want kids. They would be sent into the mine field that is our current society, turn on me at like the age of 7, and curse so much, I would hate myself for preventing such an unfortunate thing from happening. I suppose you could call that paranoia, but since I have lived through it and still am, I'm pretty convinced.
According to my parents, even though I don't want children it's "going to happen", so I'll just have to toughen up and deal with it.

Gyaradomo
07-24-2012, 07:38 PM
Lol I don't want kids. I might when I'm older, but definitely not soon. Even if I did have kids, I would be a horrible father. I mean, I have to eventually carry out the family name, but like when I'm 35 or something.

Shantae
07-25-2012, 09:26 AM
If I'm a parent and I have kids from my upcoming wife. I will discipline my kids in rightful matter and slapping my kids by any trouble is a purpose to this. I want my kids to have better future once they are not here with me and wife. I do also want them to be educated so they will have good jobs and pay high salary.
To be honest, I don't want to have kids despite you have to buy clothes, toys, and things that my kids wanted for. This really waste half of money and we had this occur to me and my brother. Since as for now we really ask my parents to give money for clothes buying a game, or something. I just don't want to kill my kids as a parent, or turn out to be not a horrible father. But, that life you know.

Christian
07-25-2012, 02:07 PM
I am going to focus on work first, and no - I wouldn't spoil them even if I had the money, they would have to work for it.
I would be strict yet rewarding and kind, loving as I think a parent should be.

The Arrow
07-28-2012, 03:04 PM
I think I would be strict at times, but I honestly would not care if the kid played video games the whole day as long as it isn't the whole week or anything. I don't think I would buy everything they ask for though.

sonriopoby123
07-28-2012, 07:24 PM
I would abuse my children and make them do whatever I want.

On a serious note, I would be a kind father who would punish my kids if they did something horrible.
Unlike my father, who yells in my face and argues with me everyday.

Patriot
07-28-2012, 09:07 PM
I would be the stereotypical asian parent and embarrass my children until they move out. But to be honest, I can't even imagine me being a parent.

Flubbs
07-29-2012, 06:28 PM
I'd be a parent who wouldn't get mad at my children for making mistakes, but I would try to prevent them from making those mistakes. I do want 3 girls though so thats gonna be a tough one.

Spitfire
07-29-2012, 06:36 PM
I am going to be a parent who takes my kids places to do things, gets them into sports and encourages them. I will start college fund early on and make life as fun as possible.

Suprsilver
07-29-2012, 06:38 PM
I would give them lots of freedom, but I won't let them run wild or become spoiled. I'd be strict enough so that they know not to do what's wrong, but I won't be super-strict and rule my home with an iron fist :L

Totodile
07-30-2012, 08:40 PM
The kind of father I would be is one that loves his kids, but can be strict at certain times. Course I would punish them if they do something wrong.

Yeah I think I would be that kind of parent too.

OwenDaynes
08-01-2012, 01:00 AM
I think I'd try to be a fun-loving parent. I am a fairly random person, so I'd be more than happy if my child had a funny attitude. I'd be strict enough to let my child know what is right and wrong, but not strict to a point that my child would live an unhappy life. If my child was in trouble, I'd help them get out of it, or teach them that what they did is wrong, and that they should apologise, because that is what a good father does. I'd also "rough and tumble" (not a euphemism for anything disgusting) with my child, pick them up when ever they fall down, and encourage them throughout life.

And if my child asked questions, about silly little things, "the birds and the bees" or what ever, I would answer the questions, because the only thing you can do by not answering questions is raise insecurities, which benefits nobody.

Shaymin
12-03-2012, 05:37 AM
I'd be a considerate, easy-going parent, but also a bit stern. I would want my child to be happy and get high marks in school.

500th post FTW.

Spacey
12-03-2012, 05:42 AM
I'd teach them how to make Koolaid :cool:

tbh I'd be the guy always checking on his kids and showing more love than the momma. I'd also discipline if any of them wants to be a smartass.

Ayra
12-03-2012, 05:54 AM
Induce physical punishment: no
Reasonable punishments: yes
Micromanage: no

I will try to make them have good habbits and beliefs, but not force it upon them.

Dabottle
12-03-2012, 06:22 PM
I will try to make them have good habbits and beliefs, but not force it upon them.

Except the whole meat thing, of course.

Leafeon
12-03-2012, 09:37 PM
I'd be a gentle mother. I'd would'nt be afraid to let my child/children be themselves. I would be highly scrict thought.

TheTrainerExpert
12-03-2012, 09:56 PM
I would more of a laid back parent because I would want my kids to be happy. I would want to give them a bit of a better life than I have so they can carry it on to their kids, so on and so on.

newsupermariobros
12-03-2012, 11:51 PM
If they did somthing wrong then I would say not to do it.If they do it again then I will punish them.I won't be too strict but I would make sure that I won't give them everything they want.

Sammiiee13
12-04-2012, 12:09 AM
I think I would be a fairly easy going mother. I would let me kids know if then had done wrong and explain to them why and why it was wrong. I would never hit as a punishment though. I wasn't punished a lot as a child, I was always just told what I did was wrong and why. If I learned my lesson I didn't do it again if I did do it again then I was usually was just sent to my room for a bit. That's probably how I would be with my kids. I wouldn't what them to be scared to come to me with anything at all.
If they wanted to know something I would tell them, I hate lying. I know sometimes this is hard though. Depending on the age of the child, things don't always make sense to them yet. For example my one friend had to tell and explain to her then four year old daughter why she wouldn't see her dad again (he had passed away). It took her daughter a bit to fully understand what had happen.
Anyways back on topic sorry for the ramble. I wouldn't spoil my kids but I would treat them from time to time.
I have a lot of experience with kids as some of my friends have kids that I have helped babysit and a good friend has a nephew she watches a lot who loves me. Everyone says I would be great with kids.

Cutiepuffle
12-04-2012, 03:07 AM
I'd just teach them how to play Brawl, and do that with them.

SuperPikachuTNT
12-04-2012, 04:03 AM
I will give theam small punishment and nice rewards!!!

Rocket
12-04-2012, 12:09 PM
I'd be in between.

BreeZaps
12-04-2012, 06:06 PM
I wouldn't hide anything from them either.
Well thats good Pengy. My dad always hides stuff from me like once he had to get surgery and he never told me. (this happen last month) I had to find out myself.

megagamer
12-05-2012, 11:58 AM
I would be the fun parent. The parent who always takes the time to play with his kids and are always there for them. Just like my Dad ^_^

xBlackthornWolfx
12-05-2012, 02:26 PM
I'd be a pretty gentle and laid back mother, most likely. I've actually had quite a bit of experience taking care of younger children, so I have a better handle on what it's like. I doubt I'll be controlling in the slightest, but will always be there to give advice and won't hesitate to give a sturn talking to if I have to. I hate yelling at someone (or yelled at), so I doubt there will be much of that unless they really anger me. But I'm a very understanding and open minded person, so I hope to instill the idea that they shouldn't be afraid to tell me anything. Of course I know they still probably will, they're kids, but yeah. And of course no physical punishment, I couldn't bring myself to do that

If anyone is the more strict parent, it'll probably be Red :P

Wolfy
12-05-2012, 02:33 PM
I'd be a little stern, make sure they have proper mannerisms, and make sure they know right from wrong. I'd never hit them, and I'd shower them in affection and I'll probably spoil them a little. But not enough to where they're brats. I'd make sure I'd be able to take them out to places a lot, because going to parks, and stuff like that, I never really had as a kid and I want them to have a better childhood than I did.

Merga
12-05-2012, 07:49 PM
I would be a father that would make a good attempt to be there for their children. I would also be sure that they get the grades that would help them for the future. I would also make sure that my kids would be disciplined, and not rambunctious delinquents when they grow up. My children would be nice individuals, because character is part of what gets somebody in life. I wouldn't have popularity an issue, or athleticism, unless they really want to go through that path, then it would be fine with me. Harshness would probably be a big issue because I have a tenancy to scare people whenever I get mad, and I don't want my children to absolutely fear my wrath.

LovelyOshawott
12-11-2012, 11:56 PM
I would be the nicer kind. One who would pay attention and understand things. ^_^

Chihaya
12-12-2012, 12:34 AM
I don't plan on having children with whomever I end up with, male or female. I would never, in my life time, be ready to take on the responsibility of a child. At times I have trouble with my dog, and I wouldn't want to imagine how I'd be with a human child. The closest thing to "having a child" we be adoption. Close friends of mine told me I'd be a very strict and "sassy" mother, but I'm not sure. I'd be sure never to spoil my children, yet at the same time never deprive them of the essentials.

Everyone makes mistakes, and there is only so much one could do for a person. Similar to how Lord Penguin spoke of not monitoring every action, I'm in the same boat. This is not to be mistaken as "Oh, _______'s mom lets them do whatever they want." Quite the contrary. I'd to my best to guide them in the right direction of what's right and wrong, and what I do and do not tolerate, but to each is own. Perhaps its due to my upbringing, I'm not entirely sure.

Then again, I don't plan on having children of any kind. As soon as I reach of age and am with the one I trust with the most, I'll have a tubectomy. I apologize in advance if I sound like a hypocrite, but. //;;

UbersSuck20
01-03-2013, 08:23 PM
I would NOT be a strict parent, though I'd put some limits.

Kyoits
02-17-2013, 10:03 PM
I'd only be a strict dad if my kids do something that is very unacceptable. But if none of that ever happened I would be nice and polite to my children and I would teach them what's right and what's wrong. In some situations if the mom gets to aggressive I wouldn't follow along with her I would defend my kids unless they did something extremely bad then I would also punish them.

Kamex
02-18-2013, 12:47 AM
I would give my children freedom. Even how my own hair looks is not up to me. I don't want to be the type of parent that thinks they can decide everything for the child until they move out. At some point they will rebel and there will be nothing you can do about it. They will probably also not want anything to do with you if you were a control freak. I want to see my grand kids. But that's going a bit too far. xD

pikachumaster
02-18-2013, 01:08 AM
I have no idea, it depends on how I turn out when I'm older.

Gazzbonazza10
02-18-2013, 01:18 AM
2 things: in terms of disapline, if it was something small, I'd make go sit on the stairs for about 5 minutes to make them think about what they did (somethingof a timeout, if you will), if it was something major, I'd make stand in the corner facing the wall furthest from the telly, and have them put there arms up and have them be sat there at neck height for around 10 minutes, and if they do they same thing again, I'd add on 10-20 seconds each time they do so... good way to teah them it's wrong and continully wrong.

the other thing was I'd make sure i told them i loved them everyday, to just so that they know that fact.

MessyPorpoise53
02-18-2013, 02:47 AM
Im not getting married. Im probly going to the X Factor.

Sean
02-20-2013, 10:39 AM
Rewards and Punishment: This doesn't seem to fair very well is my house

Fair Judgement (Like the youngest/oldest sibling problems)

Allowance: So kids have a value of money and don't have to whine to their parents when they want something.

Not too many kids: I grew/am growing up in a house with 5 siblings (4 sisters!)

Clairvoya
02-21-2013, 02:04 AM
Hm....I honestly have no idea. I'd probably try to be fair, but I might be a control freak sometimes. I might try to please them, but I may end up spoiling them. I'd make sure they didn't get bullied and all that.....but I really can't tell, because it's gonna depend on how I turn out when I'm older.

Pokemon Trainer N
05-15-2013, 08:49 PM
Hmm depends what girl if she was hot I would be a nice dad. If she wasn't well I'd leave her.

theblindxatu
05-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Hmm depends what girl if she was hot I would be a nice dad. If she wasn't well I'd leave her. Really? You'd leave your OWN daughter based on whether she was attractive? That's just so... WRONG! And if she was, It's against the law to do anything to her....

I would be that fun dad that every kid wants and that one lucky one has and brags about all of the time. ^_^

herothezero
07-09-2013, 10:28 PM
I'd probably be a lenient and calm parent, and Id never hit them. I wouldn't spoil them. I'd try to teach them through my experiences and teach them lessons after their own experiences. I'd only be strict if they really messed up. I'd be the "good cop" parent.

BreeZaps
07-15-2013, 03:12 AM
Even tho I don't want kids I'll say this.

I don't want to be the same parent my mom and dad are. My mom is never there. My dad is there sure. But he gets mad so easy and he yells like all the time to the point where I'm crying. I do love him. He just gets mad too easy at me. I'm even scared of telling my dad anything afraid that he will just yell at me. He never tells me anything thats going on in the family.

Really, I don't want to be him. I don't want my kids to be afraid of me if I ever have any. And I will anyways be there for them unlike my mom who abandon us kids. :/

Hakuiin
07-15-2013, 04:38 AM
I wouldn't want to have kids, but if I do, I'll be a nice dad and buy my kid video games and let him do whatever he wants.
Unless he does something extremely bad.

Ayra
07-15-2013, 04:52 AM
So I'd try to let them be themselves, as well as adequately provide them with things they need and want, but not overly spoil them. I'd also make sure they are given consequences for bad actions.

Kitty
07-15-2013, 05:26 AM
I'd be a good parent that enjoys playing with their son or daughter. I am a boy, but I rather have a girl. Some odd reason.

joebob2311
07-17-2013, 12:29 AM
I would be a cool and strict parent at the same time. Im not gonna let them go on if they do something wrong but I'll let them be free (more free than I am).

GroundX3RO
07-18-2013, 01:06 AM
Well... I'd do the best I could but right now I would be a horrible parent so I guess its a good thing that I have a long time until then.

X!!
08-14-2013, 01:50 PM
I would corrupt their minds right off the bat!

I would let them have feeedom on what they want to do with their lives. Oh, and I'm definitely buying my kids video games if they want it. Something I hadn't had for my childhood. =/

marissachu
08-14-2013, 05:38 PM
I don't honestly know yet. I know that if/when I have kids I want to make sure they're happy and know that they're loved. I guess I sort of want to have a really good relationship with my hypothetical kid(s?) just as my parents have with me. I'm not ready to be a parent yet though and I realize that, so I'm not sure what exactly my parenting style would be like.

brecot
09-05-2013, 11:05 AM
I definitely wouldn't be that great. I don't really want kids anyways.