PDA

View Full Version : Do You Prefer Physical or Digital Copies of Games?

EpicCh33se
07-26-2012, 04:44 AM
Remember when there was this new awesome game that just came out and we always had to go to Gamestop/ToysRUs/etc to buy it? Well those days are "half" over. These days, games can be fully purchased online as well as in stores. Of course, the physical copy has a game box, manuals, and other goodies, but the digital copy is more efficient because you don't have to switch the disc/cartridge every time you want to play it.

Which do you prefer?

Uzi
07-26-2012, 04:54 AM
I prefer physical copies since I have a Gamestop Rewards card. I get all sorts of neat bonuses. I also enjoy being able to return games and trade them with fries for other games. The Gamestop Rewards card really helps when I want to get a deal on something. I also typically buy used games so I can get maybe 3 purchases at once.

I do like the idea of digital copies though, I have recently gotten interested in PC Gaming and that's the big way to get games on PCs. The service with Steam is great and the only thing I really have to complain about is how laggy the steamcommunity is. Other than that it's great and work checking out. However there's the rare occurrence of running out of virtual keys to unlock a game. But that doesn't happen TOO much. Steam sales are also da gawdliness.

I like both though.

Minntul
07-26-2012, 05:35 AM
I much prefer physical copies of games. I like being able to hold the game in my as proof I own it and I like to collect games of a series I enjoy.

Qwerty
07-26-2012, 06:10 AM
Digital is much more convenient, but dat feel of having a new game in your hand man. Physical is definitely really nice.

Weavile
07-26-2012, 08:51 AM
I prefer physical copies because they can pretty much never take away my ability to play a game. With digital copies of a game, they can pretty much take away my ability to play a game whenever and for whatever reason. They don't do this very often in the slightest, but I could still see abuse taking place. The Steam agreement actually has this in it, which really scares me. Of course I'm just paranoid, but still that's really freakin' scary.

ShadowMr.L
07-26-2012, 12:07 PM
I mostly prefer digital because it's just so much more convenient to have as I don't have some game systems. However, I also like physical because I started with them, and have many different games.

Gyaradomo
07-26-2012, 12:32 PM
Digital because I can bring games anywhere in Steam, and it only takes a half an hour or an hour depending on the Internet connection. Anyways, digital is much more convenient than bringing the case around because it takes no space.

phantomscar
07-26-2012, 12:35 PM
I would prefer digital since they are much easier to obtain and are able to be emulated. digital games are also free,

DeMrTeunio
07-26-2012, 02:02 PM
I'll say physical. It just gives me a feeling of joy to hold a brand-new game in my hands. Getting a game over a network just feels a lot less genuine and exciting.

Red
07-26-2012, 02:08 PM
I would prefer digital since they are much easier to obtain and are able to be emulated. digital games are also free,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=os5TXyJlEMc

It depends on the console I'm playing really. If I'm playing on my PC I'll download everything but if I want to play something for say, the DS, I'd buy a physical game cartridge because playing it on an emulator just takes all the fun out of it.

Christian
07-26-2012, 02:12 PM
I prefer physical copies just because I can see my collection of games grow and I also get bonuses from where I buy the games.

Judge Mandolore Shepard
07-26-2012, 02:21 PM
I would have to go with physical copies of games since that way I know when I increase my amount of games. Not to mention, I get bonuses from where I buy the games.

TyphlosionX
07-26-2012, 03:44 PM
I would have to go with physical copies of games since that way I know when I increase my amount of games. Not to mention, I get bonuses from where I buy the games. I get the samething when I buy pre owned games
I choose Physical because what if your console crashes down like mine and then you would have to buy the game again (this is a good statement to all digital game buyers)cause my Xbox 360 crashed down and luckily no games were in it so physical is better.

EpicCh33se
07-26-2012, 03:58 PM
I choose Physical because what if your console crashes down like mine and then you would have to buy the game again (this is a good statement to all digital game buyers)cause my Xbox 360 crashed down and luckily no games were in it so physical is better.

Usually, online markets require you to make an account so that it can keep track of what you've purchased so you can download it free of charge if your system crashes down.

Spitfire
07-26-2012, 04:26 PM
I am all for physical unless it's extremely hard to get (just like I put my version of FFVII I bought on the PSN on my PSP). It's also nice some of the cross-platforming you can do with the PSN. Anywhom physical copies are always nicer.

Shiningbolt
07-26-2012, 04:34 PM
I'd rather have physical copies of games than digital ones. If you, say, lost the data for a digital game, that's it. You can't do anything about it.
Also, depending on what you're using, you can't let people borrow your digital game unless you're willing to fork over the entire system just for a single thing.

BreeZaps
07-26-2012, 04:38 PM
Physical copies of games. They dont have any of those pokemon game in the eshop + I dont really buy online stuff so its physical copies of games any day.

Patriot
07-26-2012, 04:40 PM
Digital games are a lot more convenient to use and download. If I want to go to another area and play on a different computer, I don't have to carry around a digital copy.

Red
07-26-2012, 04:41 PM
I'd rather have physical copies of games than digital ones. If you, say, lost the data for a digital game, that's it. You can't do anything about it.

I'd rather have digital copies of games than physical ones. If you, say, scratch the disk for a physical game, that's it. You can't do anything about it.

That's why most markets that sell digital versions of the games(especially Steam) make you register whenever you purchase them. As long as you have access to your account you'll be able to get backups forever(this can be different depending on what company you buy it from such as EA with their 5 use keys).

Suprsilver
07-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Honestly... it depends on which game it is. I like being able to carry certain games around to friends' homes.

Ayra
07-27-2012, 02:00 AM
i prefer to download a ROM if i plan to LP a game but physical if i plan to enjoy it for myself.

Master Boo
07-27-2012, 02:02 AM
I'll always prefer physical. They have box arts, can be moved and lent out, and are convenient in their own ways. Plus, it feels like I truly own the game. If I lose my system or it breaks, then I forefit the games. Even if its backed up, I don't' 100% trust online networks after the PSN incident...

EpicCh33se
07-27-2012, 02:33 AM
I don't' 100% trust online networks after the PSN incident...

The Xbox Live Arcade and Nintendo Network are much more secure than the Playstation Network.

mars29979
07-27-2012, 06:02 AM
i like it not on a computor beacause you can get deals and its like prove you have the game

poppop1221221
07-27-2012, 07:33 AM
I perfer haffing the game

Spitfire
07-27-2012, 01:52 PM
i like it not on a computor beacause you can get deals and its like prove you have the game

Ever been on Steam during the summer sale? Or how about the sale in Winter? Ever looked at your library of games and seen that they in fact were listed with the games you bought?

tinksfinks
07-27-2012, 04:23 PM
I prefer having a physical copy because I am afraid of running out of memory on the hard disk/memory card or wherever. At least a physical copy doesn't give me that kind of headache. Besides you can actually feel it and you feel a deep connection with it compared to a digital download.

Kamex
07-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Gamestop usually rips me the hell off. But I still like physical copies. It has collector's value, and you can bring it to a friend's house to play. Plus, the trip to the store will give me good exercise. I will stick to the original cartrige/CD thank you very much! :)

joebob2311
07-28-2012, 12:02 AM
Digital is way more convenient but my pc is sadly a piece of crap.

Leo2629
07-28-2012, 12:40 AM
Digital is more convenient but I still prefer a Physical copy of a game. I can't really explain why, it just 'feels' better :p

MatthewZ124
07-28-2012, 02:05 AM
If it's an actually PC game that is on steam and the such, digital is fine. However, if it is something like an emulator, I would rather just buy the game so I don't have to ripoff the game company who spent so much time making the game for us to enjoy. Besides, they need money to be able make more games.

CriticalFlygon
07-28-2012, 02:46 AM
I prefer physical copies of games. They give me more of a feeling of owning the game.

Shantae
07-28-2012, 07:34 AM
Well for me, I would like Physical Copies of Games since I brought them, it feels like keeping a game as like a treasure. Plus it has a more feeling of the game and myself once you brought the game.

The Arrow
07-28-2012, 03:08 PM
Physical. I love playing the games myself and I like watching digital copies of the game, but I'd go with physical any time of the day.

Kyoits
08-10-2012, 02:24 AM
I like physical copies more than the digital ones, if i can't get the game no matter what i just get the rom for the game but if i can get the game for real i would just get the physical one

Zachgoose
08-10-2012, 08:47 AM
I generally prefer digital copies of games because I'm less likely to lose them. x_X

Totodile
08-10-2012, 10:59 AM
Most of my games are physical copies. I prefer them than having them stored in a computer or system because if something happens to your computer you are out a computer and what ever games you had on it.

Dragonslayer
08-10-2012, 03:26 PM
Physical copies. Just a preference.

Shaymin
07-26-2013, 01:59 AM
Oh most definitely the physical copy. I love the feel of being able to hold proof that I own a game that I want. On top of that, I like the info that comes with it. With digital copies I'm just like "meh. I download software all the time, it's nothing special."

herothezero
07-26-2013, 02:41 AM
Physical copies, mainly because of nostalgia and with digital copies, I don't have that feeling of "Can't wait to open this when I get home. Also, you can't sell a digital copy.

Pokemon Trainer N
07-26-2013, 02:41 AM
i'm torn because physical copies you can lose and digital copies if you wet your ds or drop it you're screwed. So I prefer physical

pikachumaster
07-26-2013, 03:21 AM
I have a Power Up Rewards Card so physical at GameStop.

And digital copied get lost if something happens to your system.

marissachu
07-26-2013, 06:49 AM
For convenience sake, digital copies are almost always better because you can't lose them and they can't get scratched up, broken, or stolen. However there is something sort of nice about having a physical copy of something. I mean as much as I could buy Paper Mario on the Wii Shop or use a ROM, I always play my original N64 copy because it's so nostalgic and there's something more significant about a game you can actually hold. Also buying a physical copy feels much more exciting than just downloading something off of Steam, for example.

Majorasfan
07-26-2013, 05:36 PM
It depends on what I'm playing the game on. For computer games, I only get digital downloads. I haven't bought any physical computer software in years. It's definitely more efficient, and the CD doesn't really do any good for you. I just don't want the space taken up.

For some reason, though, I buy physical copies of console and handheld games. Even with New Leaf, I bought the physical copy on release day. I've always cared more about games on consoles and handheld than computers, and I have no idea why.

Sean
07-29-2013, 03:30 AM
Physical all the way!!

Except on the PC,since it's a pain in the butt to install, and swap discs out.

Ame
07-29-2013, 05:17 PM
Although digital copies are much more convenient, I prefer having a physical copy of my games. They would be safe in case my console crashes or something.

DarkSide
07-29-2013, 07:02 PM
I most defiantly prefer physical copies. If my 3DS were to break or something (and I had digital copies) both my 3DS and my game's would be gone. So physical copies are the way to go.

TropicalPikachu
08-01-2013, 10:35 PM
PC: Digital
Wii: Both
Ds: physical
Gameboy: digital, jk.

Cutiepuffle
08-01-2013, 10:39 PM
Physical copies are better.